AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2021-08-14, 01:08   Link #161
Ichinotachi

Watched the movie and honestly after all these years waiting for it I feel satisfied.

The movie is not about bringing this to an end but providing a fresh start for everyone, the EVA plot line was already reaching it's ending and with that out of the way Shinji needed something "new" and that was provided by the way how this movie ended. I have to add that ending with Mari was refreshing, Anno stomping angry shipping fans was glorious, she earned her place little by little. As some problems that I can point out one of them is the lack of background for Gendo and Yui, why not spending some of the time from previous movies to add that element of empathy towards them? why not including a bit more information that can actually make the viewers connect with the reason behind the project and Gendo's motivations?

The soundtrack and animation were top tier, especially having that last song right at the end bringing back memories. It was a wild ride and for sure one that I'll enjoy once again in the future.
Ichinotachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-14, 02:53   Link #162
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Watched the movie. Quite like it. At least this movie addressed & answered most of my problems with EVA 3 movie back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Watched it, and the message is... exactly the same as that of the original series? Was there any point to these movies beyond being giant cashgrabs?

I did like that we finally got Gendo's perspective at least.
IMO the movie actually dive deeper into the characters more than the TV series & EoE did. We dig deeper into Gendo, we dig deeper into Kaworu, and we even dig deeper into Kaji and what his overal motivation and plan was. Heck, the movie even explained the reason why Misato's dad was there at the ground zero of the 2nd Impact. There are other bits that this EVA 4 movie finally anwered which the original series & movies failed to do.

Other than that, the movie also had great character exploration. It's really nice to see adult Toji & Kensuke doing pretty well considering the circumstances. Watching Toji managing his family and being a paramedic for the people around him is really nice. Adult Kensuke is also cool. He always had a thing for Asuka so watching him supporting her as an adult (in which Asuka welcomed it) here is also nice. He proved himself to be someone who is good & healthy for Asuka. Then there's Misato being a distant mommy for his son, Kaji version 2 . In other circumstances, I'd be upset to hear it, but in this scenario, it's 100% understandable considering how much baggage & responsibility that Misato carried. And Shinji finally get the fucking hug that he deserved after all this time.

Btw, since the movie is already available for home viewing, I'll go with some spoilers:
Quote:
Mari ending up with Shinji is really just a giant middle fingers to shippers, nothing more. I do find it hilarious that people have been fighting for decades over Asuka and Rei and a newcomer ends up winning, but I wish it actually made sense within the story. It's also rather funny that Asuka gives up on Shinji because "she grew up before him", and the one who ends up with him is even older (from his mom's generation).
I think there's more to that. In the original show, the "relationship" between Shinji & Asuka were always toxic & unhealthy. Sometimes, they'd make a good pair of friends or teammates, but not lovers. The difference is, this movie actually has the balls to admit how unhealthy a romantic relationship between the two really is. And since Asuka already went ahead and grew up years before Shinji, such "relationship" is already a lost cause. Asuka herself said so that "Shinji needs a mother more than a lover". Basically, Shinji needed someone to guide him to enjoy life (kinda like Misato, but she was obviously taken already & also dead) which Asuka can never play that role. Their past-tense confession toward each other was real sweet (like a certain scene from I'm Standing on a Million Lives), but I'm afraid that's as far as they can go character-wise in this situation. On the other hand, pairing the adult-inside Asuka with adult Kensuke can work wonders considering Asuka's psychological baggage that Shinji most likely won't be able to handle.

As for Rei.....well, any kind of romantic relationship between them are always kind of iffy considering that, in principle, Rei was supposed to be an amalgamation of Yui & Shinji's sister that he never had. I think the movie made the right call by pairing Rei up with Kaworu instead.

And with that, there are no available adult girls left that's make sense to be paired with Shinji aside from the extrovert Mari, I guess. Funny that Asuka said Shinji needs a mother coz his current lover is just as old as her mother .

Quote:
I don't remember them interacting much.
For what it's worth, after their meet-cute at the rooftop, Mari was the one who actually made Shinji piloted the EVA again during the climactic battle in EVA 2 movie by grabbing him and gave him a little bit of pep-talk.

Quote:
It also sure would have been nice if Mari had been given a backstory beyond "she was Gendo and Yui's colleague and friend". They even drop that her real name is Mary Iscariot near the end of the movie and... it leads to nothing.
Indeed. More backstory would've been nice.
Old 2021-08-14, 07:29   Link #163
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I realized I focused on what is a negative point for me, but I actually enjoyed this movie a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Other than that, the movie also had great character exploration. It's really nice to see adult Toji & Kensuke doing pretty well considering the circumstances. Watching Toji managing his family and being a paramedic for the people around him is really nice. Adult Kensuke is also cool. He always had a thing for Asuka so watching him supporting her as an adult (in which Asuka welcomed it) here is also nice. He proved himself to be someone who is good & healthy for Asuka. Then there's Misato being a distant mommy for his son, Kaji version 2 . In other circumstances, I'd be upset to hear it, but in this scenario, it's 100% understandable considering how much baggage & responsibility that Misato carried. And Shinji finally get the fucking hug that he deserved after all this time.
The village "arc" is probably my favorite part of the movie. Seeing how the rest of the cast has grown and is trying to live life to the fullest in a world that is almost beyond hope was really great.
Old 2021-08-14, 23:36   Link #164
Key Board
Carbon

I feel everything involving Mari is engineered just to irritate the established fandom.

I still don't understand a thing about where she came from and what her true purpose is.

Aside from that, it does feel like a more coherent message than EoE, but it feels that you also need to know about EoE and the previous TV series before hand to appreciate this fully. It's not something you can digest properly with just the rebuild movies alone.

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-15, 04:28   Link #165
Alchemist007
*Author

I get what Anno was going for, but I don't think it either needed to take as long as it did or told the way it was. It actually had elements that were refreshing, like the village arc, but the fights were very underwhelming and low quality (in general, not just the studio set mirror match fight). I guess I liked the part where he was blatantly saying "go watch NGE".

But this movie itself gets a 5/10 from me.

Last edited by Alchemist007; 2021-08-15 at 07:39.
Alchemist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-15, 06:06   Link #166
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Honestly, I'm just waiting for Reckoner to show up and tell any of us who liked the movie (or any of the movies past 1.0) that we're not REAL Evangelion fans if we did.
Old 2021-08-15, 07:42   Link #167
Alchemist007
*Author

Quote:
Now that I'm done avoiding spoilers I've been checking out discussions here and there and people are comparing the ending to Madoka's when they should be comparing it to Rahxephon... which to me has always been the superior version of Evangelion. I'm probably going to get hanged for saying this.
I can understand this opinion, as I held it myself for a bit, but I'm more of the mindset now that they're different enough to respect independently of each other.
Old 2021-08-15, 08:09   Link #168
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Quote:
Now that I'm done avoiding spoilers I've been checking out discussions here and there and people are comparing the ending to Madoka's when they should be comparing it to Rahxephon... which to me has always been the superior version of Evangelion.
After I watched RahXephon myself- and it's one of my personal favorite mecha series- a friend of my said, "Oh, you mean Rahxephelion?"

Do I like it better than Eva? Yes. But... I think we have to call it a knock-off, at the end of the day. Sure, everyone is allowed their own tastes, but considering Eva has impacted anime and pop culture FAR beyond Rahxephon... it's hard to say that Rahxephon is superior. You say the name of the latter, and most people will go: "What's that?" Meanwhile, Eva is very recognizable.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-15, 10:48   Link #169
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

I could have sworn RahXephon was pretty big within the community when it came out.....Not Eva big but at least as famous as stuff like Shana was in its time
Old 2021-08-15, 13:34   Link #170
SidVicious
Anime addict

9/10
It was way better than what I expected.
Old 2021-08-15, 14:00   Link #171
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Just finished watching this. I really enjoyed it.

I'm glad there was an effort to tie this finale to the shit that happened in 3.0 and acknowledge events that have happened in the entire series. That was my one wish with this movie. Congratulations, Anno-san.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-15, 16:38   Link #172
ramlaen

It wasn't perfect by any means but I'm happy with it, satisfying endings like this are very rare anymore.
ramlaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-15, 18:05   Link #173
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
After I watched RahXephon myself- and it's one of my personal favorite mecha series- a friend of my said, "Oh, you mean Rahxephelion?"

Do I like it better than Eva? Yes. But... I think we have to call it a knock-off, at the end of the day. Sure, everyone is allowed their own tastes, but considering Eva has impacted anime and pop culture FAR beyond Rahxephon... it's hard to say that Rahxephon is superior. You say the name of the latter, and most people will go: "What's that?" Meanwhile, Eva is very recognizable.
Popularity and quality have nothing to do with each other. Plenty of very popular works are trash, and some masterpieces are mostly unknown.

Anyway, I'm really finding a lot of similarities between the two endings, what with the MC recreating the world into one where the problematic beings never existed and finally being able to grow into an adult. Not to mention both MCs ending up with a character voiced by Maaya Sakamoto (she voiced the teenage version of the heroine and not the adult one, but it counts).
Old 2021-08-15, 20:39   Link #174
Alchemist007
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
I liked the part where he was blatantly saying "go watch NGE".
This was actually what I thought the Eureka 7 movies were heading towards, wonder if we'll get a double theme movie bonanza this year.
Old 2021-08-15, 22:33   Link #175
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Now that I'm done avoiding spoilers I've been checking out discussions here and there and people are comparing the ending to Madoka's when they should be comparing it to Rahxephon... which to me has always been the superior version of Evangelion. I'm probably going to get hanged for saying this.
Madoka can still fuck things up now that they're finally making a sequel to Rebellion.

I'm sort of underwhelmed after the final Rebuild. It was entertaining enough but it seemed like there were too many asspulls to tie everything together. The most interesting thing about Mari is that I had to wonder if Maaya Saakamoto's singing in character ban is intact after her song over comms in the intro. Moreover it was really lacking in the sardonic humor that defined the series for me. I'm just kind of a casual Eva fan so it is what it is I guess. 6.7/10 or so.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-16, 08:30   Link #176
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
With the recent Evangelion: 3.0+1.0: Thrice Upon A Time film, director Hideaki Anno has finally brought closure to the story of Evangelion. Although he says he has no interest in continuing the story from there, there are nevertheless aspects of Eva's world which he might want to explore in the future.

Collider reported last week that when asked in a group interview whether he has any desire to revisit Evangelion in the future, Anno said: "There's always the 14-year gap in the story, so in some form, I want to shed light into that."

The 14-year gap refers to the time skip depicted at the beginning of the Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo film.

Yep, he's not over it. He never will be.
Old 2021-08-16, 13:19   Link #177
Mazryonh

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
The most interesting thing about Mari is that I had to wonder if Maaya Saakamoto's singing in character ban is intact after her song over comms in the intro.
Maaya Sakamoto has a ban on singing as her characters? How did that come about? Why would she need to work under one?
Mazryonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-16, 18:42   Link #178
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
Maaya Sakamoto has a ban on singing as her characters? How did that come about? Why would she need to work under one?
I'm not sure how that came about, but I believe it first came to light when Shinobu's OP in the Monogatari series was not sung by her despite all the previous OPs being sung by the respective voice actresses.

The reason she can't sing in character is probably extremely silly.
Old 2021-08-17, 09:24   Link #179
Mazryonh

Quote:
The reason she can't sing in character is probably extremely silly.
It could be petty, too. I'm not happy that whatever kept Maaya Sakamoto from singing in-character as Shinobu or her other characters kept us from having potentially great songs of hers.
Mazryonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-17, 13:12   Link #180
Ligerleon89

Spoiler for About the movie.:
Ligerleon89 is offline   Reply With Quote