AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2007-04-06, 22:16   Link #181
Nonezumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaibetamoto View Post
Will simply installing Divx work for playback on a mac?
As long as what you want to watch is encoded with Divx.

Chances are these days it's encoded in XVid or H264 though, so you're going to be disappointed.
Old 2007-04-11, 04:56   Link #182
holdincourt

I got the Intel Mac version for MPlayer as suggested by the first post in this thread...already had X11 installed on my Macbook Pro...and did everything as stated in the post.

However, when I tried to open an .mkv or even an .avi....i would get an error message!!

Any suggestions to what I can do to get this working on my Macbook?

Thanks!
Old 2007-04-12, 02:19   Link #183
holdincourt

Tasukete! Onegai!!
Old 2007-04-12, 04:04   Link #184
holdincourt

what is GCC? get an error when i tried to compile
Old 2007-04-13, 02:08   Link #185
iamtetsuo
Thinking Different Member
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to iamtetsuo
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdincourt View Post
I got the Intel Mac version for MPlayer as suggested by the first post in this thread...already had X11 installed on my Macbook Pro...and did everything as stated in the post.

However, when I tried to open an .mkv or even an .avi....i would get an error message!!

Thanks!
Hmm you know I'm not sure if the Intel build likes the updated version of X11 or not...
I don't have an Intel Mac yet so I can't speak for the Intel build yet.

Did you remember to paste -ass -embeddedfonts -fontconfig into the additional parameters field?
Old 2007-04-13, 08:24   Link #186
Nonezumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdincourt View Post

Thanks!
What's in the last few lines from the error log?
Old 2007-04-13, 12:51   Link #187
rew.

Okay, so I don't know if this is a dumb question or not, but I've got a 1.67 GHz Powerbook G4. I just downloaded [Mishicorp]_Darker_than_BLACK_-_01_[720p][H264][AAC][73C5C783].mp4 this morning and wanted to play it, but for some reason, VLC never wants to play anything encoded with H264. It always says ffmpeg: more than 5 seconds of late video -> dropping frame (computer too slow ?) after a couple seconds. The sound plays fine, but the video never shows up. I tried playing it with MPlayer, but the sound is just fine with the video being super slow. avi and most mkv files play fine, but whenever anything is encoded with H264, it never wants to play. I currently have MPlayer Version 1.0rc1 and VLC Version 0.8.6a. I've got all the necessary codecs to play videos and such, but have always had problems with H264 files.

Is there anything I can do to get these to play? I appreciate any help. Thanks!
Old 2007-04-13, 12:59   Link #188
martino
makes no files now

I usually don't jump here, but to me that looks like your system isn't fast enough to play h264 video, or at least the 720p ones. However I have no clue as to how fast a 1.67 GHz Powerbook G4 performs...
Old 2007-04-13, 13:09   Link #189
rew.

Oh ... okay. That's really quite annoying. My computer is just over a year old and it's already basically obsolete. Sounds like you've got to be rich to stay up on this kind of stuff. Thanks anyway.
Old 2007-04-13, 13:40   Link #190
martino
makes no files now

Well, I didn't intend to put it that way. But there is a big jump when going from let's say 704x400 h264 to 1280x720. I'm sure that someone who has experience with this on a Mac should be able to provide more helpful information than me, since I've never really come across a Mac or some performance comparisons/specifications, so as I mentioned I'm not sure how fast a 1.67 G5 is...
Old 2007-04-13, 15:20   Link #191
Nicholi
King of Hosers

mplayer builds with the coreavc patches :P. Works for me so far in Windows at least. Should be slightly faster than libavcodec.
Old 2007-04-13, 17:43   Link #192
ichobi

hi Rew, dont know if you have the problems sort out, but here's some quick response and hopes it help you.

I'm also using a kinda dated machine, an ibook G4 1.2Ghz 768 ram. So it's PPC.
I use Andiyar's Mplayer Custom build which can be downloaded somewhere in this thread, i notice a performance boost from his build compare to the official release.
i also use the latest VLC and it does play any h264 i throw at, so does my Mplayer. SO if you cannot make them work with h264, try remove the program completely , by either remove by hand if you know how to remove .plist and stuff, or easier use application remover like Cleanapp found here > http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/29702

Now, let us admit, our machine is not that slow, but as Japanese anime is all broadcasting with HD resolution like 720p, it's too much to handle for PPC processors to encode with such a compressed file. The x264 encoding is pretty demanding. So the frame drop you saw from VLC, simply mean your machine is not fast enough to play this file.

on a side note, if you use mplayer and notice your video being played out of sync, try press 'D' while watching, it'd drop framerate to keep the video in sync with audio.
but fansubs do release Xvid (lower resolution version), most of them do, so you could choose that option. ( i watch the low res version, and burn the high res for collection.) Hope that help.
Old 2007-04-14, 00:19   Link #193
rew.

So basically I'm SOL? Well, okay, I'll do what you said and watch the low resolution and burn the high for the hope that I may be able to watch it in HD eventually. Thanks for your help.
Old 2007-04-14, 02:31   Link #194
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
Whew. Take a few weeks off..

firstly, @ rew

Yes, sadly, your machine isn't going to be able to play that file, largely because it's 720p - resolution 1280x720 h.264. If it was encoded in QuickTime h.264, there'd be very, very slight *maybe* that it would playback, but I'd guess at about 10-15fps at maximum. At the moment, to play a 720p h.264 encode on a mac, I'm guessing you'd need a Core Duo 1.83+ - though keep in mind this is a highly subjective guesstimate.

@ holdincourt

In order - firstly, what's the error message it gives you? Can you open Console and give us the last few lines (as suggested by Nonezumi) of the error? (~/Library/Logs/MPlayerOSX.log).

Secondly, GCC is the compiler used on *nix systems to compile software. In order to install GCC on your mac, you need a copy of the dev tools - find your Tiger install DVD, and look in the Additional/Extra Packages folder for the Xcode installer. Install that, reboot, and you're good to go.

Oh, and finally for the interested - I've upped a compile of MPlayer OSX 1.0rc1 (PPC) using X11, which I've found provides a small (10-15%) speed boost on the X11-disabled build I have online... you can grab it here if you'd like to check it out

-Andiyar
Old 2007-04-14, 06:15   Link #195
ichobi

Hey, thx for the update andiyar! I have installed your latest built and notice a small speed boost!!
Old 2007-04-14, 11:11   Link #196
ichobi

Hey, just a quick news update, After knowing that CoreAVC is more powerful in encoding H264 than ffdshow, which the developer actually plans to release both player and standalone codec for Mac OSX according to this,

http://www.corecodec.com/forums/index.php?topic=156.0

Do you guys think we'll see big improvement over the current codec used in Os X ?
Old 2007-04-14, 12:08   Link #197
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Since Macs now use Intel CPU's, the speed will be about the same as on Windows. If they ever get around to it, that is. Like that GPU acceleration that has been "coming soon" for more than a year now. Meanwhile you can try to get MPlayer with the coreavc patches working on OS X. Which might or might not work.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2007-04-14, 18:53   Link #198
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
@ TheFluff

I think he's asking if CoreCodec will be faster than libavcodec is now, for Macs. From what I've read, I'd assume it would be, wouldn't it? That said, I have no idea if it'll be compatible with PPC macs at all, or if it will be just an Intel mac thing. According to that forum post it'll be a QT component, but it needn't be universal... and as to when it'll be out, yes, take it with a grain of salt.

Will be interesting to see though.

-Andiyar
Old 2007-04-15, 06:31   Link #199
ichobi

@Andiyar, From what i have read, it seems they plan to release later this year, may be Q3 or sth like that. Anyhow, the new mac platform Santa Rosa, which probably release in a couple of months will sport intel GMX3000 Grahphic, and from it specification, it would improve h264 performance. (perhaps apple 264) but anyway, if ppl get that sort of new mac, they wouldnt have to drop frame rate just to play would they?
Old 2007-04-15, 09:35   Link #200
Aegelward

well, this works for me.. on a macbook 1.82 ghz/512megs of ram (yes i know, i keep meaning to invest in more..)

for VLC try opening it beforehand, the frame dropping problem comes from the system trying to BOTH open the app, and play the video (i haven't figured out how too make VLC pause the video when it opens, like quicktime)

in fact i prefer quicktime for watching videos, but with softsubs, and... well certain h.264 files, i personally have never seen any problem with main profile. but whatever, fansubbers have their own standards for things i guess.

Tags
fansubs, mac, wiki candidate