AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2012-07-20, 15:10   Link #1
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Aurora, Colorado Movie Theater Shooting (July 20, 2012)

Please use this thread to discuss the events related to the tragic shooting.

To keep this thread on topic, I would like to ask that all gun-related discussion (except what the shooter was armed with) be left out of this thread and held in other, on-topic threads.

Thank you.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 15:35   Link #2
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Understood

Anyways, What I think his motivation was to be remembered for something, perhaps he wanted to be as popular as a batman villian. He certainly is young enough to have such a idea.
Old 2012-07-20, 15:45   Link #3
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

This guy is terrible, just terrible. May he experience all the negative consequences that come his way, in this world and in the next.
Old 2012-07-20, 16:18   Link #4
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Oh well.. THAT certainly explains everything .... this member of Congress is as crazy as Michelle Bachmann:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1689099.html

Quote:
Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) said Friday that the shootings that took place in an Aurora, Colo. movie theater hours earlier were a result of "ongoing attacks on Judeo-Christian beliefs"
Old 2012-07-20, 16:50   Link #5
Lightning_Wing

How do Judeo-Christian beliefs even relate to a mass shooting...actually nevermind I'm done trying to decipher the extreme Christian mind.
Old 2012-07-20, 17:07   Link #6
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I gotta say, when people commit a crime like this and they have a suspect, and they are completely sure the suspect is the person who committed the crime...why do we even bring them to court and sentence them and wait some time to execute them? I mean, with this guy, I wish the police would just take him somewhere in the next 48 hours and unload bullets into him until he was dead and say "Alright people, we have some sort of justice". Are we supposed to be "above that"? We know this guy did these crimes. Let us just kill him in the next couple days and not even bother with over a year or more of court appearances and jail time. Besides, all that will cost thousands and thousands of dollars.

I know some people are going to try and say we really should be above that, but seriously, why even bother being fair with criminals like this guy? It isn't like I'm saying we should do this to most criminals who commit homicide, just the James Holmes and Timothy McVeighs of society.
Old 2012-07-20, 17:18   Link #7
kyp275
Meh

^
an understandable emotional response, can't say I really disagree with the sentiment.

That said, stuff like that does not belong in a civilized society. You want summary execution, feel free to move to places like Syria, I heard it's all the rage there right now.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 17:24   Link #8
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Mangamuscle, you keep saying the perp was suicidal -- there's actually no evidence he was. The neuroscience majoring student appears to want to be around to watch the results of his cowardice.
To me at least his acts make no sense outside of mental illness. No matter how evil a person might be he is still human and therefore his evil acts have very specific motivations, but this men killed a bunch of strangers on a cinema night. Unless some later news give us some kind of clue that the killings were motivated by religion, race, politics, vengance, whatever I see no reason to think this attack was the act of a sane man.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 17:28   Link #9
Kyuu
=^^=

The real sad thing about these shootings:

1) They'll be forgotten in a few months.
2) Nothing will be done politically
3) Blame the person, not the gun

So anyways.

As far as this shooting is concerned -- like many, I have seen the mugshot picture of the guy, who committed this crime. Gun control or not -- give this guy a sword, knife, or baseball bat -- he would probably do it anyways. At least, that is what his facial entailed. He had the look of "accomplishment" in his mugshot.

Spoiler for The Dude's Face:

He knows he's caught. He knows he's in trouble with the law. But... not a F*ck is given -- according to that facial expression.

As pissed off as I can be about this whole situation (and the politics of it all), I am gonna be curious as to the motivation and reasons behind this. Assuming the shooter is going to make statements about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Oh well.. THAT certainly explains everything .... this member of Congress is as crazy as Michelle Bachmann:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1689099.html
Then there are nut-jobs like that. If anyone wanted to attack Christian beliefs effectively -- attack a church on a nice Sunday morning. And no, don't do this.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 17:39   Link #10
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Understood

Anyways, What I think his motivation was to be remembered for something, perhaps he wanted to be as popular as a batman villian. He certainly is young enough to have such a idea.
He told police that he was "The Joker".

Well apparently this is America's worst mass shooting in history, so if that's what he was intending, then he sure got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Gun control or not -- give this guy a sword, knife, or baseball bat -- he would probably do it anyways.
I highly doubt it would have been as bad as it is if he had any one of those weapons you mentioned.
Old 2012-07-20, 17:41   Link #11
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
To me at least his acts make no sense outside of mental illness. No matter how evil a person might be he is still human and therefore his evil acts have very specific motivations, but this men killed a bunch of strangers on a cinema night. Unless some later news give us some kind of clue that the killings were motivated by religion, race, politics, vengance, whatever I see no reason to think this attack was the act of a sane man.
You've got it backwards, unless it's proven that he's actually mentally ill, he should be considered just as sane as everyone else.

You vastly overestimate the reason some people would need to go kill someone else. There are plenty out there who wouldn't give a second thought to blowing your head off for your watch, or the jacket you wear, or your phone, or just because they didn't like the way you look. They're all quite sane, they just don't give a fk about you.

Man are capable of horrendous acts, especially if something in their life causes them to lose their inhibition, but that doesn't excuse them or make them insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
I highly doubt it would have been as bad as it is if he had any one of those weapons you mentioned.
certainly not the number of injured, as far as number of dead... it'd depend on how skilled he is.

it would've been far worse however if he had simply resorted to using explosives, as he certainly knew how to, going by what he did to his apartment.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-07-20 at 19:05.
Old 2012-07-20, 17:52   Link #12
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

A truly detestable act of violence...what should have been a night of joy and wonder, was a night of nightmares. Awfuly, just awful, this going to have lasting affects, and will affect a lot of people.

But this raises a question, will all movie theaters across the US be inforced with police officers now?
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 17:56   Link #13
kyp275
Meh

^
not a chance, neither the theaters or police can afford to do that
Old 2012-07-20, 18:33   Link #14
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
^
an understandable emotional response, can't say I really disagree with the sentiment.

That said, stuff like that does not belong in a civilized society. You want summary execution, feel free to move to places like Syria, I heard it's all the rage there right now.
Yeah, I definitely don't want us to be like Syria. China executes far more people than they should, too. I don't want to be more like China, either. But like Kyuu pointed out, just look at his mugshot. After someone does a horrible set of crimes like this and then has that very happy look like that in their mugshot, one can't help but feel sentiments like "Let's kill that loser ASAP".
Old 2012-07-20, 18:40   Link #15
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
He told police that he was "The Joker".
And now they claim it's a copycat crime inspired by a Batman comic.

No doubt, someone will pin the blame on comic book geeks now.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 18:42   Link #16
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
You've got it backwards, unless it's proven that he's actually mentally ill, he should be considered just as sane as everyone else.
I call them as I see them. Meanwhile your judgement is motivated by revenge, you do not want him to live the rest of his life on a asylum, you want him to have the death penalty and since only in Texas the mentally insane are executed, his mental state will affect whther he gets a trial or not.

Quote:
You vastly overestimate the reason some people would need to go kill someone else. There are plenty out there who wouldn't give a second thought to blowing your head off for your watch, or the jacket you wear, or your phone, or just because they didn't like the way you look. They're all quite sane, they just don't give a fk about you.
All the examples you mention I can understand, they all have a motive and they gain some kind of profit out of it. But there was no profit for this guy in doing this, so until I read something that shows otherwise, this guy crazy, plain and simple.

Quote:
Man are capable of horrendous acts, especially if something in their life causes them to lose their inhibition, but that doesn't excuse them or make them insane.
I have lived long enough to know that better than you, but I try to be rationale about it, gimme the facts that point towards a rational motive for his acts and then I will say he is sane.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 18:42   Link #17
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
You... really don't know very much about the human mind I'm gathering There's a large percentage of humanity that literally doesn't "give a f*" about anyone outside their circle and as others point out - would kill people just on impulse. They are sane - they just have different values. It only becomes pathological if they care about *no one* outside of themself (sociopathic, psychopathic, etc).

Sanity isn't based on cultural niceties - its a specific medical diagnosis. It *may* be that he was developing schizophrenia (age of mid-20s is when that disease often manifests) but I could argue that your listed motivations are also marks of insanity if we're taking cultural meme choice as the basis of sanity.
Old 2012-07-20, 18:47   Link #18
Liddo-kun
is this so?

This shooting of people just out to have fun in a movie.. it's truly horrifying.
He should be punished to the full extent of the law.

Is there any news on the motivation of the killer?
Liddo-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 18:50   Link #19
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
And now they claim it's a copycat crime inspired by a Batman comic.

No doubt, someone will pin the blame on comic book geeks now.
"New Studies Show that Reading Comics Increases Child Violence".
Old 2012-07-20, 18:50   Link #20
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Cut his lips off and make him drink lemon juice constantly, wipe that fuckin smug look off his face.

he's not going to be smiling much when a big mean @!%#! is in his mouth.