AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2010-10-23, 11:56   Link #121
magnuskn

Geeze, of course I mean to say "Thank you!" I was just caught up in the moment ( of eating, actually ).
Old 2010-10-23, 12:15   Link #122
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
You're welcome.
Thank you for making me LOL in the middle of a post-grad class. You're a real pal.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-23, 17:11   Link #123
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Thanks so much for the translation Yot-chan. I laughed my arse off when originally checking this out in volume 06, though now knowing what's been said makes it all the more fun.

Best parts are of course, Macross 7 shout out, Isamu x Guld doujin and Luca death.
Old 2010-10-24, 11:23   Link #124
moncikoma

this could happen in the 2nd movie....:P...

because ozma love basara songs....(he play it once in his car...)
he could be a hardcore fan! who knows!
moncikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 02:30   Link #125
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Just dropped by the bookstore and picked up the Nyan Dra comic by Megane Kikuya today. It's not really anything new, since I saw all the comics when they were serialized in Macross Ace, but it's still nice to have in book form.

It's of course based on the Nyan Dra drama albums, telling one story from each of the four volumes, and generally favoring the stories written by Hiroyuki Yoshino. Four stories are included: "Alto Meets Sky," "The Melancholy of Pixie Team," "Pineapple Cake," and "Galaxy Memory." Of these, only "Galaxy Memory" (which I'm sure you've all already seen) could be considered essential, but the stories on the albums vary wildly, from interesting to mediocre, to worthless. The comic adapts most of the good stories, and avoids the terrible ones (suggestions if they ever decide to do Vol. 2 of the comic: "Sheryl's Heart-Thumping First Experience," "Luca and the Three Ghosts," and "Alto and Sheryl and a Chinese Dress").

Spoiler for Sample pics chosen COMPLETELY AT RANDOM.:

The artwork is really nice. Kikuya captures the characters well. There's only one picture of a mecha (Klan's Queadluun-Rea's head), but that looks pretty good, too. Most of the compliments of Kikuya's work, though, should be directed at his adaptation of the stories. Audio dramas of necessity don't have a lot of motion or action; they're mostly just characters talking to each other. Kikuya does a great job of making them more dynamic on the page. Sometimes, as in "Alto Meets Sky," he even expands the story quite a bit, which in some ways is great (After performing in Romeo and Juliet, as Juliet of course, Alto gets accosted by Michel, who asks him, "So, what are you planning on doing next? Cinderella? The Little Mermaid?") but also adds a few continuity problems into the mix: namely, that "Alto Meets Sky," focusing on Alto in middle school, doesn't have Sheryl or Ranka in it, and so Kikuya wedges them in. In Ranka's case, this is fine...at the end, she stares transfixed at what looks like a shooting star inside the ship, but is actually Alto flying his Ex-Gear. But adding Sheryl into the story totally doesn't work. This is set somewhere around 2055, and yet Michel and Luca are ogling a Sheryl photobook. Shouldn't it be another few years before she debuts...? But I guess that, in the grand scheme of things, this comic breaks less with continuity than, say, the Sheryl: Kiss in the Galaxy manga, so I probably shouldn't be carping. Overall, yeah...I'm glad I got it, which is more than I can say for some of the other Frontier comics (*cough* SMS Tales *cough*).

The funny thing for me is that the book came with a questionnaire for market research purposes, and I finally realized, "HELL YEAH! I'm part of their target demographic now!" So I'm gonna fill it out and send it in. It asks seven questions:

1. Where did you find out about this comic?
A. Macross Ace
B. Some other magazine:
C. From a friend
D. Saw it in the bookstore
E. From a website:
F. Other:

(I answered "A.")

2. Why did you buy this comic? (Check all that apply)
A. I like Macross F.
B. I like Sheryl.
C. I like Ranka
D. I'm a fan of the artist.
E. The cover illustration was interesting.
F. I like the "Nyan Dra" drama CDs.
G. Other:

(I chose A, F, and wrote in "I love Macross mecha and Nanase" in G.)

3. How often do you buy "Macross Ace"?
A. Every issue.
B. Sometimes.
C. Never.

(I chose A.)

4. How often do you buy "Gundam Ace"?

(Same options as question 3. I again chose A.)

5. Did you buy the DVD or Blu-Ray of Macross F: The False Diva?
A. I bought the Blu-Ray.
B. I bought the DVD.
C. I didn't buy it.

(I chose B.)

6. Will you go see Macross F: The Wings of Farewell?
A. I'll definitely go.
B. Maybe I'll go.
C. I won't go.

(I chose A.)

7. Additional comments about the book:

(I want to write something for this, but I'm not sure what to put yet..."Please make fewer high school stories and more action stories," maybe. Or "Please explore more of the Macross universe." I dunno.)
Old 2010-11-25, 03:56   Link #126
magnuskn

Thanks for the summary, Yot, that was nice to read. Yeah, Michael and Luca ogling a thirteen year-old Sheryl is strange. Okay, so they both are just as young, too.
Old 2010-11-25, 04:30   Link #127
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Thanks for the summary, Yot, that was nice to read. Yeah, Michael and Luca ogling a thirteen year-old Sheryl is strange. Okay, so they both are just as young, too.
Should I do similar write-ups for all the comics? I have nearly all of them here with me...
Old 2010-11-25, 05:03   Link #128
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Should I do similar write-ups for all the comics? I have nearly all of them here with me...
That would be lovely thanks.

Heh those pictures at random (did you scan them?). I had a feeling you loved them when i first came across them in Macross Ace volume 3.

Last edited by Shiroth; 2010-11-25 at 06:56.
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 06:07   Link #129
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I third the necessity for the write-ups about all the comics, Yot-chan.

Also, good job on the random pictures. Think you can keep it up for all the other ones?

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 10:31   Link #130
Lancel

Hmm. Sheryl could have debuted by then, though her first album wasn't until 2057 according to fluff, which incidentally is when she became popular. Just thinking that she does look that much younger in her Pink Monsoon art.
Lancel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 11:25   Link #131
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
I third the necessity for the write-ups about all the comics, Yot-chan.

Also, good job on the random pictures. Think you can keep it up for all the other ones?
Most of 'em. I'll need a scanner before I tackle SMS Tales, the comic anthology, or Sheryl: Kiss in the Galaxy, however.
Old 2010-11-25, 12:45   Link #132
magnuskn

Yeah, a write-up would be really nice and informative.
Old 2010-12-03, 11:12   Link #133
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Based on the conversation going on in the Sheryl Nome thread, I think it's time for another Frontier manga review. This time, it's Macross F: Secret Visions, which is plotted by Hiroyuki Yoshino and written and drawn by "okiura" (who was, for the first few chapters, known as "NOSHI." Why the name change? Beats me).

It's hard to know what exactly to say about this comic. It's one of the "flagship titles" of Macross Ace magazine (along with Macross the First and Macross 7th Code), and it's been running since issue #1 (although it didn't appear in the last two issues). The fact that it's plotted by Yoshino (the scriptwriter from Frontier) gives it an authenticity a lot of the other comics lack, but, as of Vol. 1, the story appears to be just beginning to take off, and it's hard to tell where it's going to go from here.

It's also hard to tell exactly when it's supposed to be set. Unlike the "Nyan Dra" drama album episodes which (mostly) play fair with chronology (generally being set either before the series, or during specific episodes), Secret Visions is not an easy fit anywhere. Sheryl is a student at Mihoshi High, but her illness is not yet apparent. However, Ranka is a professional singer in the story (albeit a young one, needing a lot of guidance from Sheryl). And that's BEFORE a major new character is introduced. See what I mean? Clearly, the timeline isn't much on Yoshino's mind, so I guess if it doesn't matter to him, it shouldn't matter to us.

It starts off quite episodically, but gradually builds a plotline, which comes to something of a cliffhanger at the end of the book. The problem (for me) is that the early episodes are more like episode 8 than any of the rest of the show. The first chapter involves Sheryl filming a special music video, and Luca has secured the use of some powerful L.A.I. speaker pods to accompany her (these are indistinguishable from the speaker pods used by Michael and Ranka in episode 12). So, of course, the whole gang goes along to watch. The joke is that the speakers are SO powerful that they rip Sheryl's clothes off while she's singing.

The second chapter begins to set the plot in motion, as a massive Zentradi battleship moves closer and closer to Frontier, but spends most of its time as everyone relaxes in a hot spring (and yes, Alto accidentally stumbles in while Ranka and Sheryl are naked).

The third chapter also incrementally moves the story along, but also has a long section where Sheryl shows off her holographic costume changer to Alto, switching instantaneously from costume to costume (including Minmay and Mylene costumes) before malfunctioning and settling on "NUDE." (An argument ensues over whether or not it "counts" since Sheryl wasn't ACTUALLY nude.)

Are you beginning to see why I'm kind of ambivalent about this comic?

Luckily chapter 4 is no-nonsense, as Sheryl and Ranka perform a duet concert, and SMS launches to intercept the Zentradi battleship. Again, it ends on something of a cliffhanger (and something of a twist, as well). So I'll be interested in seeing where the comic goes from here.

The art is really good...more stylized and individual than the Nyan-Dra comic, but all the characters are again quite obviously themselves. It definitely looks different from the show, but in a good way.

Spoiler for Sample pics again chosen COMPLETELY AT RANDOM:

Okiura also does a good job during the dancing and singing sequences...at one point, the art gets extremely sketchy, and it seems almost careless until you realize that it captures the motion of Sheryl and Ranka's dancing quite well. He also manages to come up with a pretty bizarre Zentradi mecha, which is quite cool.

So yeah...the art is the biggest draw for me currently. The story seems to be at a crossroads between simply setting up situations for Ranka and Sheryl to lose their clothes, or actually telling an interesting story. Obviously, I hope it goes for the latter. I'm assuming we'll know by the time Volume 2 comes out.
Old 2010-12-03, 17:24   Link #134
magnuskn

Man, I think there are way too many different Frontier timelines by now. ^^

And many thanks for the translation!
Old 2010-12-03, 19:52   Link #135
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Man, I think there are way too many different Frontier timelines by now. ^^
The thing is...I don't think it's meant to be a different timeline. It's not like the Sheryl manga, which retells events from the show in a new and different way; it's meant to be a side story to the show, it just doesn't fit in anywhere comfortably. Think of it as "default Frontier mode," if you will. Sheryl and Alto can bicker because there are no deeper feelings yet; Ranka can continually ask Sheryl for advice; Michael's still around; the fight against the Vajra hasn't gotten desperate yet (and can be ignored entirely)...it's the perfect environment for "Frontier High School Stories." Trying to fit it in in a specific place in story would result in certain limitations being placed on one or more of the characters, and would probably limit the amount of time the comic could cover, so they sidestep that issue completely.

Note that I'm not DEFENDING the approach...merely explaining it.

Quote:
And many thanks for the translation!
You're welcome. And again (and this offer is open to anyone), if you've bought a Frontier comic (ANY Frontier comic) and can't figure out what's going on in it, just PM me and I'll send a more detailed summary so you can understand it better.
Old 2010-12-04, 03:12   Link #136
magnuskn

Quote:
The thing is...I don't think it's meant to be a different timeline. It's not like the Sheryl manga, which retells events from the show in a new and different way; it's meant to be a side story to the show, it just doesn't fit in anywhere comfortably. Think of it as "default Frontier mode," if you will. Sheryl and Alto can bicker because there are no deeper feelings yet; Ranka can continually ask Sheryl for advice; Michael's still around; the fight against the Vajra hasn't gotten desperate yet (and can be ignored entirely)...it's the perfect environment for "Frontier High School Stories." Trying to fit it in in a specific place in story would result in certain limitations being placed on one or more of the characters, and would probably limit the amount of time the comic could cover, so they sidestep that issue completely.

Note that I'm not DEFENDING the approach...merely explaining it.
Ah, that's quite interesting. Well, I guess "after episode seven, but before episode eleven" would be the best place to put it chronologically, since in that period nothing of consequence happened in the war, the relationships were still in that place you just described and the Vajra were mostly dormant. Also, a significant amount of time passed between episode seven and eleven, IIRC.
Old 2010-12-09, 00:41   Link #137
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Just checked the latest issue of BetsuFure, and Sheryl: Kiss in the Galaxy has taken an unexpected turn.

Spoiler for In the latest issue...:

Betcha'll weren't expecting that, huh? I know I wasn't.
Old 2010-12-09, 01:11   Link #138
John117xCortana

...........you're joking right ?
John117xCortana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-09, 01:16   Link #139
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John117xCortana View Post
...........you're joking right ?
Nope.

Spoiler for More detail:
Old 2010-12-09, 02:37   Link #140
Lancel

Quote:
Nope.

Spoiler for More detail:
o_O

Okay, that did get a reaction out of me. That's messed up, but I kinda like messed up. It's interesting sometimes.
Lancel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manga