Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638
Dudes, I'm a neophyte here.

List major-ly adjusted...
Old 2007-11-21, 13:23   Link #22
d.sinclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
A lot of those, though, are things that are too much for a new anime fan. And I'd be surprised if he really hasn't seen Cowboy Bebop or Trigun lol.
I say it's never too early to start on the good stuff. Tsuiokuhen was one of the first I ever watched - I loved it then and it's still one of my favorites. And I don't see how something like Evangelion is less "hardcore" then a lot of the ones I named...

Last edited by d.sinclair; 2007-11-21 at 13:46.
Old 2007-11-21, 17:02   Link #23
blewin

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.sinclair View Post
Hmm...I'd definitely bump up Evangelion, which is pretty much a required watch for all anime fans, and Juuni Kokki, which is an awesome fantasy.

Seriously though...someday you need to get around to watching Mushishi, Monster, FLCL, Cowboy Bebop, Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen, GTO, School Rumble, Honey and Clover, Full Metal Panic (all), Trigun, and about ten others which I consider to be way better than the majority of the anime on your waiting list
I agree. If I were to pick from the list, and add to it, it'd be (in no particular order):

The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
Mushishi
Juuni Kokuki
Welcome to the NHK
Full Metal Panic
Death Note
Honey and Clover
Trigun (like modern Kenshin, both hold the 'don't kill' value despite being expert gunman/swordsman)
Full Metal Alchemist

but then, gems as they might be, they are from different genres, and whether a person likes it or not is largely dependent on her personal taste. But! these are gems above gems in their respective genres.

I agree, d.sinclair. The first two animes that really drew me into watching animes were Gundam Wing and Kenshin. Both are serious, long and good animes. (didn't include them in the list because GW is just, well, gundam. And Kenshin is purely fighting anime, yeah, a cut above average though)
Old 2007-11-21, 20:53   Link #24
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

i want you to know, I by no means intend for you to watch all of this in one weekend. However, I admire your aspiration and will to watch more anime, so I want to help you the best way possible. So, i'm giving you my ultimate master list of anime to watch. Take as long with it as ou need - I myself haven't finished half of them because I get easily off-track. However if you put in the dedication, you can do this eventually. All the shows I mentioned so far are in there too.

Note that anything with a * before it is stressing importance. Also, these are in no real order, just looked at my My Anime List to help me out. I'm giving you a bit of info on each as well.

* Baccano! (13 eps, last sub almost out) - action, dark, comedy, gore, pulp, urban
Blue Drop (airing now, 7 eps subbed) - drama, romance, mech, action, school life, yuri
CLANNAD (see above) - comedy, school life, drama, supernatural
ef (") - school life, drama, romance
* Gankutsuou (24 eps) - suspense, thriller, sci-fi, just plain unique
Gunslinger Girl (13 eps, seaons 2 planned) - psychological, action, slow but deep (manga a little better)
* Haibane Renmei - (13) Slice-of-life, drama, fantasy, just plain unique
* Hidamari Sketch - (12, season 2 planned) School life
* Mushi-shi - (26) supernatural, fantasy, just plain unique
* Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - (13 season 2 planned) school life, dark comedy, pshycological, PURE WIN
Air - (13) romance, drama, supernatural
Boogiepop Phantom - (13) psychological, supernatural, urban
Cowboy Bebop - (26) - action, adult, space, comedy and drama elements, stand-alone episodes
* Full Metal Panic? Fomoffu - (15) pure hilarity
* FLCL - (6) comedy, action, mech, GAINAX, pure win
* Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight - (13) school life, inspirational, comedy
Genshiken - (13 season 2 airing now) otaku comedy
Hitohira - (13) drama, school life
* Ichigo Mashimaro - (13) slice-of-life, comedy, cute
* Kanon 06 - (24) School life, supernatural, romance, drama (only anime to make me cry)
* Kino's Journey - (13) Adventure, just plain unique
* Mai-HiME - (26) drama, action, comedy, school life
Maria-sama ga Miteru - (26 plus 5 ep OVA, season 4 planned) school life, romance
* Neon Genesis Evangelion - (26) Mech, drama, action, psychological, GAINAX, pure win, just plain unique
* Welcome to the NHK - (26) dark comedy, psychological, insanity, light drama
Paranoia Agent - (13) psychological, supernatural
* R.O.D. OVA - (3) action and style
* R.O.D. TV - (26) action, drama, slice-of-life, yuri
REC - (9) romance, comedy
* Revolutionary Girl Utena - (39) schoo life, action, comedy, shoujo, magical girl, just plain unique
* Serial Experiments Lain - (13) psychological mindrape, made of win, just plain unique
Shinigami no Ballad - (6) supernatural, relaxing
* Simoun - (26) drama, action, yuri, just plain unique
* SoulTaker - (13) W.T.F., action
Spriggan - (movie) ACTION
* Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - you've seen it. PERFECTION. GAINAX.
* Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo - (movie) school life, supernatural, just plain unique
Trigun - action, shounen
X/1999 - (movie) action, drama, psyxhological
Neo-Ranga - (48 15-minute eps) - every genre imaginable
S-Cry-Ed - (26) basically, a manly Mai-HiME. Haven't seen all.
* Mahou Shoujo Tai - (40 10-minute eps) fantasy, just plain unique

I hope that helps you on your quest. I, too, have much I need to watch yet.

EDIT: I should mention that you should still watch Juuni Kokuki. I just haven't seen it yet. Also, if you want, I could PM you with new recommendations every time I see something good.
Old 2007-11-21, 21:14   Link #25
MaxwellDemon
"Bi?!" BI?!
*Graphic Designer

*takes a look of your list*

Mmm, I don't really have any disagreement with the list as it seems correctly placed, except I'd bump Rozen Maiden upward... and definitely above Lucky Star.

It is a lot more than what is shown on the surface.

*one episode managed to convert me to a RM fan... and I never watched it until after Saimoe 2007 *
Old 2007-11-21, 23:16   Link #26
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

thanks for the huge list, Deus ex.

Rozen Maiden bumped up 3 slots.
Old 2007-11-24, 03:00   Link #27
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Argh, Shuffle! at 99.9%! If only I can get that last little bit, I can watch it marathon style...

Mai-Hime now on download. Thinking about whether I should lock number 3 in right now...
Old 2007-11-24, 05:56   Link #28
Frans

Well, since you will watch Haruhi anyway whether it's locked or not, then just lock it.
I just have a few additions to your list. Since I could suggest anything, I would suggest some sport animes like Hajime no Ippo (boxing, 75eps + ovas) and Major (baseball, 78eps + next year 4th season). If you like the genre, then after watching at least one or two episodes, you will want to watch the next episodes right away. It's very addicting.
Old 2007-11-24, 06:21   Link #29
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

I think Full Metal Panic (all) should be bumped up more

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
Old 2007-11-24, 08:50   Link #30
Frans

Btw, I'm still wondering why G Gundam is listed there instead of other Gundam show? Is it because the fighting and superpower-ish?

I have a hard time recommending something to be bumped up, because each show have different good points... but for me S-Cry-Ed isn't good enough to be positioned that high. For fighting, I like (in this order) Nanoha, Mai-Otome, Busou Renkin, S-Cry-Ed. I haven't watch Kaze no Stigma yet, but probably I would still position that higher than S-Cry-Ed. I like the fighting in S-Cry-Ed, the problem is in that anime most of the people are very stupid.. annoyingly stupid that they couldn't figure out what is obviously right and wrong.
Old 2007-11-24, 18:15   Link #31
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

G Gundam was listed there because I was hooked on the series back when I was a little kid, but I never got around to finishing it. Also, it was because I kind of liked the idea that each nation had a Gundam representative.

You're free to suggest anything to add on to that list, so the sports animes suggested have been added. I'm not a big fan of Prince of Tennis or anything of that genre, so I'll keep them in the bottom.

S-Cry-Ed moved down, Full Metal Panic moved up. Claymore has also been added, as suggested personally by a cousin.

Since Thanksgiving break is over for me, I'll probably hold off on the locking unless a series at the top of a list stays where it is for a long while.

In other words, Suzumiya Haruhi has been locked.
Old 2007-11-24, 19:14   Link #32
Frans

Btw, both Major and Hajime no Ippo isn't like Prince of Tennis in a sense that it doesn't have over the top super move. Basically, in Prince of Tennis, esp the in the latter eps, it's about who has the best super moves. In Major (and I think Hajime no Ippo too.. I only read the manga a bit and only watch a couple of eps), it's about hard work and what you can achieve with it, and the obvious keep challenging to be the best.
Major and Hajime no Ippo for me are by far better than Prince of Tennis.

I would add Seirei no Moribito.. it's more inline with Junni Kokuki, and it's a very good show. Could even be better than Junni Kokuki depending on what you like.

Last edited by Frans; 2007-11-24 at 19:18. Reason: minor editing
Old 2007-11-25, 17:58   Link #33
gonzo562

try

deathnote
full metal alchemist

mecha/action/romance
zegapain
gundam seed
gurren laggan

blood+(vampire/action/awesome story)

for sports
hungry heart wild striker (soccer/romance)
slam dunk( basketball)
eyeshield 21(football)
prince of tennis
Old 2007-11-25, 18:43   Link #34
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo562 View Post
try

deathnote
full metal alchemist

mecha/action/romance
zegapain
gundam seed
gurren laggan

blood+(vampire/action/awesome story)

for sports
hungry heart wild striker (soccer/romance)
slam dunk( basketball)
eyeshield 21(football)
prince of tennis
^ people don't read... I've already watched Gurren Lagaan. And for the sports ones, I kind of rather ask that all but Prince of Tennis be verified.

Seirei no Mobito added somewhere near Juuni Kokuki

Full Metal Alchemist, Zegapain, Gundam Seed, Prince of Tennis added. Kind of bottom of the list, though.

Rozen Maiden moved up. Suiseiseki is starting to pike my interest.

List is starting to get too long. I may cut off some of the bottom ones.

Anyway, thanksgiving is over, and I have Shuffle! and Mai-Hime to look forward to. Keep giving suggestions, though!
Old 2007-11-26, 03:29   Link #35
blewin

oh man, yes, definitely Full Metal Panic, Full Metal Alchemist and Zegapain! best of the best animes.

FMP is hilarious. FMA is also hilarious but has more serious moments, questioning the value of life (I equate that with Eureka Seven. Both animes are similar and are tremendously popular - well deserved), and Zegapain explores the boundary of reality. All three have great plots, multi-layered characters, fluid animation, beautiful music and are emotionally evocative. haha, and not to mention, they have a message in the story (not sure about FMP though). oh, and if you're gonna watch FMP and if you like it, don't forget FMP The second raid. It's the sequel.

I wouldn't bother with Buso Renkin and S-Cry-Ed. They're below average animes full of cliches. I don't remember much of S-Cry-Ed as I saw that many years ago, but I recently watched Buso Renkin and it was terribly disappointing. Male lead gets new power and quick as a flash, accepts it and is able to wield it like he was born to it. Story is simple and one way. You can pretty much predict everything.

I'm not sure about recommending anymore animes as you've got a pretty long list there! but since I've mentioned Eureka Seven... E7 probably holds special appeal to those of us who have had too much and enough of the usual Gundam stories. E7 is classified as mecha, but it focuses more on characterisation and the whole mystery between Coralian and humans. Many people who watched E7 aren't themselves mecha fans. The anime is both funny and serious. It is a coming of age anime, but what sets it apart from the average (and similar to FMA) are its mecha design and deep characterisation. Mecha-wise, E7 is brilliantly original. I totally fall in love with the idea of surfing in the sky. heck, you don't even need a mecha to surf, just a surf board! as for characters, it's great how E7 makes a parallel between the two main male leads, a boy and an older man - both have some need of growing up to do.

Last edited by blewin; 2007-11-26 at 03:42.
Old 2007-11-26, 20:25   Link #36
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Wow, why did I miss Eureka Seven? I've seen a few episodes here and there.

Buso Renkin and S-Cry-ed moved down. Full Metal Panic, Full Metal Alchemist, Zegapain! moved up.

Once this forum hits page 3, anything below #20 will be cut off.
Old 2007-11-26, 20:38   Link #37
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Indeed Buso Renkin is probably less than great, but S-cry-ed? It's one of the most original shows out there! A mix of hot-bloodedness, x-men-style-powers, and good ol fashion asswhopping. Honestly, this is one of the most entertaining shows around. Even if you don't get into the story, it's plain ol fun to watch. A lot like Mai-HiME but a little more serious and with a mostly male cast rather than female.
Old 2007-11-26, 21:03   Link #38
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

And S-Cry-Ed is moved back up...
Old 2007-11-27, 05:32   Link #39
gonzo562

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhtam2448 View Post
And S-Cry-Ed is moved back up...
Quote:
Originally Posted by minhtam2448 View Post
I'm bored... and I will be bored this thanksgiving holiday. I need something to watch... so here's the deal.

I have a waiting list ready, so you can suggest anything from that list be moved up. If you win, I'll try to get things on track, and hopefully make a personal DVD for myself.

I have strict conditions making a DVD, the most notable being that one season has to fit on one or two DVDs, and I'm usually very hesitant about watching something new on youtube.

Also, I'm requesting... pretty much anything at this point. If you'd like a genre, then go for something similar to Shakugan no Shana, although some previous requests are now on my waiting list. However, the Shana genre is not important this weekend, so suggest anything you like. No restrictions (except the usual no hentai rule).

Here are your lists:

Anime watched and DVD made (in order of preference):

1. Shakugan no Shana
2. Fate/Stay Night
3. Kanon
4. Chrono Crusade
5. Zero no Tsukaima (I & II on one disc)
6. Rockman.EXE (1st Season, 3 disc request by little brother)

Anime watched/watching but DVD not made:

1. Shakugan no Shana II
2. Naruto
3. Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters GX
4. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan (waiting for one sub group to complete in whole)
5. Clannad
6. Konjiki no Gash Bell

Ze Waiting Liste (not exactly ordered at this point)
-- Bold means locked into position.

1. Shuffle! (requested by a cousin)
2. Mai-Hime
3. The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
4. Juuni Kokuki
5. Welcome to the NHK
6. Air
7. Rozen Maiden
8. Full Metal Panic
9. Seirei no Mobito
10. Claymore
11. Neon Genesis Evangelion
12. Lucky Star
13. Hayate no Gotoku
14. Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
15. Mai-Otome
16. Full Metal Alchemist
17. Eureka Seven
18. S-Cry-Ed
19. Kannazuki no Miko
20. Kaze no Stigma
21. Death Note
22. Trigun
23. Zegapain
24. Gundam Seed
25. Mobile Suit G Gundam
26. Buso Renkin
27. Cowboy Bebop
28. Midori no Hibi
29. Tsukihime
30. Prince of Tennis
31. Hajime no Ippo
32. Major

i should move death note up

to me its probably the most intense, mind boggling anime i have ever watched

light vs L is just awesome.
Old 2007-11-27, 06:29   Link #40
Saleh
Inactive

I would second uping death note if OP likes horror series. Perhaps you would like to up Kaze no Stigma and Tsukihime. Both of them are a bit slow series they are certainly better than S-Cry-Ed for second round recommendation.