AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2009-04-07, 21:13   Link #6261
Saint X
VxR Productions
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Saint X
@ JE

.50 BMG? nah that's light compared to some of my Magic+Conventional (M.A.R.D.U.K.) Mods- at least 2 of them use 20mm shells- just in case.

ah and yes... are Manp(ad) Missile Systems okay for you?

I have a long standing idea of a "Missile Squad" consisting of a launcher and a spotter.
Old 2009-04-07, 23:07   Link #6262
JamesEdwards
ANTI-Nonsense

Send a message via AIM to JamesEdwards
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint X View Post
@ JE

.50 BMG? nah that's light compared to some of my Magic+Conventional (M.A.R.D.U.K.) Mods- at least 2 of them use 20mm shells- just in case.

ah and yes... are Manp(ad) Missile Systems okay for you?

I have a long standing idea of a "Missile Squad" consisting of a launcher and a spotter.
Ho, boy, you know what we're about to get into here, right? Theoretical SOP and Warfighting. And we're likely debating across 4 systems: Nano-verse, Enforcer-verse, Your Verse, and Common Sense. Y'know...that's probably not going be very pretty, but for the sake of intellectual fun, I'm gonna do this dance with you.

First off, man, let's be clear. I come from the school of United States Marine Corps, as such, there is a very strong and practical "Common Sense" to everything I do in the Enforcer-verse, with Hideo Kojima and other cool stuff on the side for Awesome. I have a suspension of disbelief but compared to most folks, except for say ATC, Goose, or Tempest, it is a very peculiar "taste" to say the least.

Now, let's begin.

I don't want to sound rude or arsehole-ish here, but putting the 20mm autocannon / gun system on normal infantry ain't so smart. As impressive as Kojima made it, very few people are Vulcan Raven. That guy is pure exception to the rule. A bonafide wunderkind. As for your 10+ foot heavy infantry super men and women, sure that'll work.

You need to adjust your perspective here. The average grunt is someone in the neighborhood of 5' 5" to 6' 0" even, with a Magus Aptitude of say C to B. The round itself on average, e.g. 20x102mm, is about the size of your hand and then some. Quoting wiki here "a 100 gram bullet fired at a muzzle velocity of 1,035 m/s (3395 ft/s). For a simple slug round this is a muzzle energy of 53,600 joules (or 39,500 ft·lbf)". That my friend is a LOT of energy. My baby girl the 14.5mm doesn't come close to delivering that kind of energy.

Even with suspensor sponsons and light strength enhancement, that weapon is basically a glorified heavy machinegun, with jack arse for mobility. It'll be great for engaging vehicles and static positions, but normal light infantry can easily outmaneuver the gunner no problem. And dude, what about ammunition? Sure, it could be unlimited if you make your mage boy or girl, or their A-Gunner make the bullets, but that's not going to be easy work, man.

This is going to be a slow, cumbersome platform, just like the Reciprocating Quad Blaster used by the Advanced Recon Commando heavy gunner. Yes, it brings a lot of firepower to bear, but it leaves a lot to be desired in mobility and protection.

A soldier's best asset is his or her legs. Take that away from 'em and you're going to have problems.

Now, obviously, you could try to make the weapon practical by vastly enhancing the soldier's strength, adding additional suspensors, and hell, even thrusters to the weapon... But that's gonna come at a price. And for me, that's a tough call.

To go from a policing action to a war time setting means already doing a lot of optimization to the standard-issue storage device. For example, infantry don't get flight spells typically, as that is deemed a waste of resources that could be used to maxing out their Barrier Jacket or bettering their small repertoire of spells. You have to pick and choose what is absolutely critical to accomplishing the mission.

That said, if you really want to give these guys and gals a "Big Gun", there is tons of better ways you can go about it. For example, the AT4 light anti-armor weapon, a 84mm based recoilless "rifle". Having theoretical unlimited ammo for it and having the ability to pop "Overkill" for it? And it's lightweight? Wooo! Now, we're talking serious arse kicking.

Or shoot, why not a 40mm GL?

Now, on to the subject of manportable missile system, yeah, I'm cool with 'em, if you're using them in a capacity of a heavy weapons / anti-armor platoon.

But say putting something like a Cyclone missile launcher on my heavy infantry? Not so hot. I can still remember my many hours playing Heavy Gear 2, Armored Core series, and Front Mission series, not to mention my fond memories of watching Votoms and Gasaraki. Multiple-launch missile or rocket systems on Heavy Infantry is okay but far from optimal. You're much better off allocating that space to a guided Mortar or a guided ATM pod. Rockets if you want to go cheaparse, which is a common sight arguably in Votoms.

Why? It's an issue of volume.

We're talking about bombarding an area here, right, when you mean your "missile" squad? Rockets are gonna have a lot more range than a mortar obviously, but there's also a higher risk of counter fire, e.g. you can "see" the rocket trails. Arguably, my ten-foot-something heavy infantry are very mobile and versatile fighting platforms, but they don't come cheap and are essentially elite troops. Therefore, you gotta think carefully how you want to use 'em.

Leave the Itano Circus Macross Missile / Rocket spam death to the Fly Boys and Sky Girls. Their P.D. equipped counterparts are just loaded to the teeth with ordinance, e.g. imagine man-sized supersonic strike craft, and the normal folks aren't anything to be shy about either being essentially being tilt-rotor attack choppers.
Old 2009-04-07, 23:34   Link #6263
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Let's not have another equipment epeen contest again shall we?
Old 2009-04-07, 23:35   Link #6264
ghazghkull
The Dang-meister

Send a message via MSN to ghazghkull Send a message via Yahoo to ghazghkull
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Is this a channeled spell? I mean, is this a defense spell that needs a constant supply of mana, which drains the caster rather then the protected when hit?
Yes. In terms of who's casting this, Rue, Chikane, and Himeko cast this, and the spell uses up their mana supply to maintain. That's if the caster is maintaining the field.

However, if it's just a one-time use, then it's the initial amount used, and that's it.

I guess I should be a bit more specific? O.o
ghazghkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 01:49   Link #6265
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralTigerclaw
Meh, sometimes free time gets a little extreme...

Spoiler for Octogram Advanced:

Eh... *shrug.*

Last edited by AdmiralTigerclaw; 2009-04-08 at 02:02.
AdmiralTigerclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 02:06   Link #6266
JamesEdwards
ANTI-Nonsense

Send a message via AIM to JamesEdwards
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralTigerclaw View Post

Eh... *shrug.*
Sir, with all due respect, I think you just handed to me on a silver platter an alternative as how to push Mid-style magic into the "NEXT" generation, which will pretty much change the playing field completely. I have some proposals, but it's mostly little "upgrades" and applications of the present system; not really revolutionary, but still innovation nevertheless. And I know of one way exactly how to solve the processing issue, too.

Thanks for giving me another reason to trash talk armed devices.
Old 2009-04-08, 02:24   Link #6267
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

If you want it I guess.

I was just thinking about magic circles in general and fooling around, made that one. The thing I remembered is that while seemingly simple, these shapes are mathematically complex bastards, and that they hold significance because of this mathematical 'perfection'.

The 'focal' points are what I consider to be any intersection of the major lines. In Nanoha's two square circle, these would be the eight corners of both squares, and the eight spots where the squares cross each other.

In the Advanced Octogram, I actually came to 56 counting intersections, but given the semmetry that eight vectors I identify have essentially a duplicate set, a 3.5x of the basic 16 seems off to me. (AKA, the shape's so complicated that it's hard to count the points.) Which in lamens terms means I think I missed a set counting, and compensated. The lines are just so complicated I lose track of what I'm counting by hand...
Old 2009-04-08, 03:02   Link #6268
kct

Send a message via MSN to kct
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesEdwards View Post
Leave the Itano Circus Macross Missile / Rocket spam death to the Fly Boys and Sky Girls. Their P.D. equipped counterparts are just loaded to the teeth with ordinance, e.g. imagine man-sized supersonic strike craft, and the normal folks aren't anything to be shy about either being essentially being tilt-rotor attack choppers.
Hmmm...although to be honest I'll rather leave the heavy stuff (like guided weapons or chain guns) to choppers, or a dedicated strike craft. Be it attack or not, I'm looking at Algerian War mentality when it comes to equipping helis for counter-insurgency, which, for operations which would expose the squadron to places where magic is basically not the best way to fight. Plus the Romanian's IAR 330 SOCAT and the Vietnam War-era ACH-47As gave me ideas, and one of NEXTER's side-mounted helicopter guns is a nice idea for a strafing weapon. Was planning to give the Merlins full-on gunship capabilities at the cost of cargo, but eh, I'll rather leave that to a smaller platform (something like a NH90).

Of course, half of these ideas would meet the dustbin due to the obvious.
kct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 04:04   Link #6269
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyral View Post
We should also take into account that Nanoha pretty much instantly learned telepathy.

Sure, she's a genius, but the way Yuuno taught her makes it look like it is something pretty basic.

He said as long she has Raising Heart with her she can talk to him, wich also indicates that Devices are capable to manage (or at least help with) telepathic massages and not only mails or 'window' communication.
And don't forget Hayate in A's, she learned it right away too

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshouryuu View Post
It took me a while but here is V2.0 of Ciasette
Spoiler for Combat Cyborg Number 17:
And here's another OC, Quindi V1.0
Spoiler for Combat Cyborg Number 15:
Comments and Criticisms please.
Hmm...looks fine to me

Is there going to be a Number 16?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
And now, for your consideration:

Combat Cyborg Number 20: Venti, aka "Yuzu Citrus"

Spoiler for Venti:

*departs*

EDIT:

Added hair ornament on TSAB version.

So...what's with the elf ears?
Old 2009-04-08, 04:12   Link #6270
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameSparkZ View Post

Not elf ears. Eldar ears. :3

*runs away cackling as Shuriken Cannon fire is send his way*
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 04:18   Link #6271
tshouryuu
Residential Nutcase

Quote:
Hmm hmm, V2 is much better, no complaints on my part. Wrestle fan is an awesome quirk by the way. :3
I feel so cheated... I was expecting more opposition
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitedEternal View Post
Heh, multigunner. Modular ability is more my style.

By the way, what language are the Numbers' numbers derived from?
I'm following Canon so its in Italian. 15 and 17 in Italian are Quindici & Diciassette respectively.
Quote:
Already said what I needed to say in IRC, but nice job on these two nonetheless Wonder if they might be interested in taking care of another Cyborg pre-Force...
Yes, I remember your comments in IRC. As for taking care of another Cyborg, it depends on who. We need to discuss this in detail.
Quote:
Hmm...looks fine to me

Is there going to be a Number 16?
14, 16, 18 and most likely 19 as well More Numbers to play with WOOO!!
tshouryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 05:02   Link #6272
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Pardon the double post...

And now, for your consideration:

Combat Cyborg Number 20: Venti, aka "Yuzu Citrus"

Left: Cyborg Number Colors
Right: TSAB Service Colors
Spoiler for Lovely image again:

*departs*

EDIT:

Added hair ornament on TSAB version.
You know... I've been considering doing more with the Numbers myself, and maybe adding another one of my own to the fray as well. When can we expect a background on Venti?

Quote:
I feel so cheated... I was expecting more opposition
Don't see it as cheated, see it as a victory. You made a profile that I can't nitpick because it all makes sense.

Quote:
I'm following Canon so its in Italian. 15 and 17 in Italian are Quindici & Diciassette respectively.
Which raises a question though... Deed is not Italian I believe, since the Italian number for twelve is dodici... what happened there? Simple garbling?

Quote:
14, 16, 18 and most likely 19 as well More Numbers to play with WOOO!!

Last edited by Keroko; 2009-04-08 at 06:25.
Old 2009-04-08, 05:05   Link #6273
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Y'know... too many 'borgs and it's going to get old.

I wouldn't mind a couple characters that were precursors to the C.C. Program. People who were mauled or severely injured in some manner that had experimental procedures done to them as Proof of Concept tests...

I'd rather see a set of individuals that shows that there was a lot of research being done. I mean, you don't go from test tube mages to cybernetic life forms just because you want to.
As an example, who would be the successful Proof of Concept Testbed for the endoskeleton that grows with the person? Subaru has metal endoskeleton bones in her arms and such, but she was once only two feet tall... How'd her body grow correctly? Because I don't see her walking into the 'Shop' and saying. "These size 21 arms are getting too short, I need replacements in size 24."
Old 2009-04-08, 05:15   Link #6274
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Y'know... too many 'borgs and it's going to get old.
*shrug* We'll cross that bridge when we get there. So far 'too many mages' didn't get old either.

Quote:
I wouldn't mind a couple characters that were precursors to the C.C. Program. People who were mauled or severely injured in some manner that had experimental procedures done to them as Proof of Concept tests...
There's a problem with that though. In order for cyborg implants to actually be effective strengtheners rather then just replacements for lost parts, the subjects have to be genetically altered prior to birth. People who were mauled and had procedures done to them may have cybernatic bodyparts, but they wouldn't be replacements for their natural parts, and would not be exceedingly stronger.

Quote:
I'd rather see a set of individuals that shows that there was a lot of research being done. I mean, you don't go from test tube mages to cybernetic life forms just because you want to.
As an example, who would be the successful Proof of Concept Testbed for the endoskeleton that grows with the person? Subaru has metal endoskeleton bones in her arms and such, but she was once only two feet tall... How'd her body grow correctly? Because I don't see her walking into the 'Shop' and saying. "These size 21 arms are getting too short, I need replacements in size 24."
She and Ginga underwent constant maintenance. But rather then that, she seems to have an auto-repair function. It's not unlikely to believe that this auto-repair also takes into account the growth of the body, and adjusts its parts accordingly.
Old 2009-04-08, 05:34   Link #6275
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Quote:
*shrug* We'll cross that bridge when we get there. So far 'too many mages' didn't get old either.
But we're not talking about mages in general, we'd have to be talking about a Specific Group. The 'numbers' are getting on towards silly count.

Quote:
There's a problem with that though. In order for cyborg implants to actually be effective strengtheners rather then just replacements for lost parts, the subjects have to be genetically altered prior to birth. People who were mauled and had procedures done to them may have cybernatic bodyparts, but they wouldn't be replacements for their natural parts, and would not be exceedingly stronger.
Not in all cases. You need proof of concept testing to ensure that a human being can even handle a particular part. Or that alteration X can even be done and keep the subject alive. No scientist, mad or not, would waste valued resources making a highly expensive test subject on tech that they aren't even close to certain could be slapped onto a human frame and keep the human alive.

You have to be sure you can first put a carbon nanotube fiber mesh into the muscle of a human and have it actually work before you attempt to GROW someone with it built in. You have to ensure that before you grow your expensive, geneticly modified superhuman cyborg with the titantium reinforced skeletal structure, that you can actually do it.

Quote:
She and Ginga underwent constant maintenance. But rather then that, she seems to have an auto-repair function. It's not unlikely to believe that this auto-repair also takes into account the growth of the body, and adjusts its parts accordingly.
My point. Someone had to pioneer that auto-repair mechanism for a cybernetic component. Even if you say they went in for 'constant maintanance', I don't see Subaru going in for a SKELETON OVERHAUL!!!!

So I would rather to see lots of 'almost' cyborgs lurking around. People with maybe a reconstructed half-cybernetic arm with carbon nanotube reinforced muscles and titanitum grafted bones making that arm six times stronger than normal... An experiment which would have killed the person if it were to be done to the entire body.

Test bodies and victims of circumstance. People who lost their vision with occular replacements, people crippled in a situation abducted and given the 'unique chance' to regain something they lost, assuming they could keep a secret, and are willing to take the risk.

For every NUMBER we see, there should be a hundred people who were there to prove one thing or another in tests, and of each of those hundred, I would expect only ten survivors.

Which means that if we go with the kind of 20 or so expanded numbers here...

2000 people who were experiments of the concept.
And of those,
200 survivors.

That would also help to bring home the 'GRUESOM' and immoral nature of the entire program.
"How many people lost their life to give birth to you?"
Old 2009-04-08, 06:29   Link #6276
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
But we're not talking about mages in general, we'd have to be talking about a Specific Group. The 'numbers' are getting on towards silly count.
Not unreasonably so. There were a lot of pods in Jail's base, and considering they used to do base-hopping a lot, the idea that it wasn't the only one is hardly unreasonable.

Quote:
Not in all cases. You need proof of concept testing to ensure that a human being can even handle a particular part. Or that alteration X can even be done and keep the subject alive. No scientist, mad or not, would waste valued resources making a highly expensive test subject on tech that they aren't even close to certain could be slapped onto a human frame and keep the human alive.

You have to be sure you can first put a carbon nanotube fiber mesh into the muscle of a human and have it actually work before you attempt to GROW someone with it built in. You have to ensure that before you grow your expensive, geneticly modified superhuman cyborg with the titantium reinforced skeletal structure, that you can actually do it.
Yes, but as I said, such subjects would be vastly inferior to the Numbers. Canon was quite clear on that.

Quote:
My point. Someone had to pioneer that auto-repair mechanism for a cybernetic component. Even if you say they went in for 'constant maintanance', I don't see Subaru going in for a SKELETON OVERHAUL!!!!
Oh, I see. I misunderstood. The auto-repair system isn't anything new though, it's presence was already made clear in S1. There's no reason for this to be pioneered on the Cyborg area if the technology is already present in the universe.

Quote:
So I would rather to see lots of 'almost' cyborgs lurking around. People with maybe a reconstructed half-cybernetic arm with carbon nanotube reinforced muscles and titanitum grafted bones making that arm six times stronger than normal... An experiment which would have killed the person if it were to be done to the entire body.

Test bodies and victims of circumstance. People who lost their vision with occular replacements, people crippled in a situation abducted and given the 'unique chance' to regain something they lost, assuming they could keep a secret, and are willing to take the risk.
We already have a few I recall... Aurion has a prosthetic arm, Phanan has a prosthetic left arm, eye, several internal organs... being immune to most conventional healing magic is a pain in the rear.

Quote:
For every NUMBER we see, there should be a hundred people who were there to prove one thing or another in tests, and of each of those hundred, I would expect only ten survivors.
We're not stopping you from writing these OC's, but we like to use the Numbers. I don't see the logic of that calculation anyway, especially since canon stated that Sentoukijin were more easy to work with. Once the basic technology of combining human and machine was made feasible, the need for 'hundreds of victims' went down the drain as far as canon is concerned.

Quote:
That would also help to bring home the 'GRUESOM' and immoral nature of the entire program.
"How many people lost their life to give birth to you?"
We already had that though. Heck, Nove had her own biological mother die in order to give birth to her.
Old 2009-04-08, 07:16   Link #6277
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Quote:
Not unreasonably so. There were a lot of pods in Jail's base, and considering they used to do base-hopping a lot, the idea that it wasn't the only one is hardly unreasonable.
Ne~ Ne~ *pokes*
Am I the only one thinking of Jump Clones? Due to the words 'pod', 'base-hop'. Just sayin'..

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 07:17   Link #6278
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

*nod nod* Jail should've used that trick.
Old 2009-04-08, 07:19   Link #6279
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Not elf ears. Eldritch ears. :3

*runs away cackling as Shuriken Cannon fire is sent his way*
At first the space elves were nowhere, now they are everywhere, even though I've long said they were coming!

*shuriken slug crashes into battlesuit force field*

And I let Keroko pass a cover save!

Oh and did some fixing. <_< / >_>

Quote:
He didn't and so he probably can't. Only the awakened clone connected to the Guardian of the Two Moons can.
Old 2009-04-08, 07:39   Link #6280
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesEdwards View Post
Alright, I don't know why am I doing this exactly, but I chock it up to a combination of boredom and a little inspiration from ATC's ficlet post. I already posted this little omake actually up on ff.net, but considering I didn't get really any feedback about it and only Tempest has read it before, I figured I'd try my luck here too.

Anyways, this takes place in my homebrew universe. Please, kick back and enjoy the show.

Spoiler for Tales from the Gravity Front 1.1:
Elite... Powered... Armor... You mean, the one from FEAR 2?

And that's a rather... redneck way of speaking there

Quote:

Eh... *shrug.*
That the symmetry and geometry of magic circles have a relation to their magical ability is a very cool concept, and neatly described and executed with this magic circle. Actually thought of that geometry = magic concept before... reasoned that a magic circle based off a fractal would theoretically hold near infinite amounts of energy...

Quote:

In-Universe Explanation:

- The long ears are designed as control antennae that allows for enhanced fine-tuning of her IS, and also improves her sense of hearing and balance.

Artistic Explanation:

- The ears are made to resemble leaves, since the objective was to make Citrus akin to an orange fruit. It also makes her unique from a profile view, making her the only Number with elven ears.

True Explanation:

- Creator of said character likes elf ears very much

*ehem*

Quote:
Not elf ears. Eldar ears. :3

*runs away cackling as Shuriken Cannon fire is send his way*
*sends in some D-Cannon Platforms as well*

Quote:
You know... I've been considering doing more with the Numbers myself, and maybe adding another one of my own to the fray as well. When can we expect a background on Venti?
Well, the only reason I've been doing Yuzu-chan's image is because she'll be presented alongside Mai in the latter's Perfect Grade Profile (she becomes Mai's Aide in the Enforcers, much like Teana with Runessa). As for an actual honest to goodness profile, that may be a bit farther off, since I'm devoting my creative profile energies to the Perfect Grade Project

And more Numbers are always welcome

Quote:
... I was actually planning on giving Yuzu-chan here a flightpack as her inherent equipment due to the drawbacks of her two Inherent Skills... though the design of her Sylpherion Raiser flight package is still under much planning (aka I don't have a design for it yet )

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hayaurion, kaonland, keroland, khrack, original content