AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2022-08-05, 16:23   Link #21
cyberdemon

Calling Carrot the NEXT ruler instead of the new ruler makes me think that they want her to continue traveling with Luffy to continue growing and when She finishes her journey like the 2 of them did, THEN she will be the new ruler. The way the others responded sounded like they were preparing to hold down the fort in the meantime.
Old 2022-08-05, 18:09   Link #22
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
Why is it taking so long for Yamato to join right away even though we've seen tons of panels already of her willingness to become a Straw Hat Pirate? I know Luffy has never denied anyone from joining his crew, but I think Yamato fans might be in for a nasty surprise.

Last edited by Tong; 2022-08-05 at 18:20.
Tong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-05, 18:17   Link #23
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Why do I feel this is setting up for a Caribou cover story part 2?
Old 2022-08-05, 23:55   Link #24
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmariofan7 View Post
How about instead of blaming everything on Oda, you blame the editors that are probably interfering, Oda has stated that he wanted to draw more scenes of Smoothie in the Totland arc, he also stated that the Marineford arc should have been twice the chapters.
I honestly don't know what to say to this. Should I "blame" the editors for all the good writing in One Piece? At what point does Oda's culpability end and the editors' begin and vice-versa? We can never know this until Oda and the editors explicitly reveal it.

TL;DR…
Oda and his editors
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

That said: all of this is a moot point. I am talking about basic character writing which he's done an objectively bad job with in regards to Carrot. Editor intervention has nothing to do with that.

---

Right now, things have collapsed to what is essentially a coin flip.

Scenario A: Everything is played straight and Carrot stays behind to become leader of Zou.
Scenario B: This is a misdirection and Carrot stows away on the Sunny or some other variation of her joining the Straw Hats.

There are pros and cons to each scenario.

TL;DR…
Pros and Cons of each Scenario

The sticking point is this: this debate would have already been over if Oda had a couple of extra panels showing Carrot coming to accept her given role. But he didn't. So now I have to keep this in my head right as we see Yamato on the cusp of joining the crew (which I don't have a problem with BTW).

Last edited by OH&S; 2022-08-06 at 09:23. Reason: formatting and fixing points
OH&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-06, 15:00   Link #25
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong View Post
Why is it taking so long for Yamato to join right away even though we've seen tons of panels already of her willingness to become a Straw Hat Pirate? I know Luffy has never denied anyone from joining his crew, but I think Yamato fans might be in for a nasty surprise.
There won't be any. In fact, the highlight of next chapter might not even be Yamato joining Luffy.
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-06, 15:04   Link #26
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
Calling Carrot the NEXT ruler instead of the new ruler makes me think that they want her to continue traveling with Luffy to continue growing and when She finishes her journey like the 2 of them did, THEN she will be the new ruler. The way the others responded sounded like they were preparing to hold down the fort in the meantime.
She'll go straight to Zou after this. The SHs already have an animal person. What they don't have is someone with giant devil horns. If you can read the times, Yamato was the obvious choice from the beginning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong View Post
There will likely be some kind of character development subplot wrap up for Yamato. I mentioned a while back that Luffy might require her to be herself and not Oden. The translation I read makes it sound like she may have already started to ditch the persona, but I'd have to see more. It'll be interesting to see how their interaction goes before they all set off
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-06, 18:23   Link #27
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'm genuinely surprised there are still people who think Carrot will join.
Old 2022-08-06, 19:11   Link #28
Gerard07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
At least I'll hold out hope until Oda agrees 100% that Carrot will be Mink's next boss.

Well, one thing that caught my attention in the chapter was the ease with which Law gave the copy of the Poneglyph to Kid, I don't think it's just because of the good competition, this is something I've thought about before, but maybe Law's goal is not to find the One Piece first and become the King of Pirates, but to take the treasure after someone took it before? (That's why he said he was going to "Usurp the Throne" before the Time Skip) .
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-06, 19:50   Link #29
Homura7

I see nothing wrong with that talk. The mink chiefs want Carrot who's one of their younger people to be the next ruler of the minks. Emphasis on "next", because " Next" and "New" convey two entirely different contexts. For all that's known, Carrot might tag along with Yamato next chapter, but that's just a possibility.
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-06, 21:16   Link #30
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Its just like the whole Nika fruit thing. Carrot doesn't have to join as long Oda as justifies it well. Then I wouldn't nearly be complaining this much. But even you admit that the rationale for her becoming the leader of Zou is dodgy.

---

Also, I apologize if I've derailed the thread. Everything else in the chapter is fantastic.
Old 2022-08-07, 00:40   Link #31
Hoodspirit

Quote:
If I just look at this chapter and ignore everything before it, then I understand why people think Carrot will join.

The question of going or staying is presented with two vague concepts.
Carrot initiially refused, and is confronted by "Pedro's will".

Yamato did not go iniitially with he Straw Hats but stayed behind to think, and the result ist "Live like Oden". As far as I saw she only said I'm going to where the Straw Hats are at, not that she is going to join them after her thinking.

So what do these concepts actually mean? Nothing, because they can mean everything.
Oden stayed in Wano behaving like a fool to protect Wano, but he also abandoned Wano before to follow his dreams and leave.

Pedro's Will is simply the Dawn. For Zou, Wano the world? Sometimes it is that, sometimes it is something else. He stayed his majority in Zou, but he also was part of Nox sailing the seas.

But if we take context into consideration Carrot joing has been dead for years.
Did absolutely nothing in Wano, never was the focus, the final nail in the coffin was the Perospero fight. Not because she lost, but because there was no character growth for her during that fight. Pedro blew himself up. An ackknowledged fact during Wanda/Carrot vs Perospero. Yet there was only blind rage. It was actually Perospero who spared her, after they ambushed him.
But it meant nothing for round 2. A straight up shortcut to defeat, no questions asked, no interactions or reflections.

Should Yamato join? No, there are too many SHPs as is to give them meaningful things to do. And maybe that was on of the core things Oda was thinking about when he took the 1 month break. Does he want one more character, when he obviously wants to wrap up as soon as possble?

In my opinion and that probably of marketing, somebody will join though, as final measure to kickstart the last saga to combat declining sales. The conclusion of a 10 year long saga, the 1000th chapter, had not the desired effect. A new Straw Hat is pretty much the only thing they can do, after that it is all up to Netflix to bring in new people or make old people buy again.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-08, 13:20   Link #32
Jmariofan7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodspirit View Post
In my opinion and that probably of marketing, somebody will join though, as final measure to kickstart the last saga to combat declining sales. The conclusion of a 10 year long saga, the 1000th chapter, had not the desired effect. A new Straw Hat is pretty much the only thing they can do, after that it is all up to Netflix to bring in new people or make old people buy again.
One Piece has had low and high sales in the past, this “declining sales” thing is just fear mongering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
I honestly don't know what to say to this. Should I "blame" the editors for all the good writing in One Piece? At what point does Oda's culpability end and the editors' begin and vice-versa? We can never know this until Oda and the editors explicitly reveal it.

TL;DR…
Oda and his editors

That said: all of this is a moot point. I am talking about basic character writing which he's done an objectively bad job with in regards to Carrot. Editor intervention has nothing to do with that.

---

Right now, things have collapsed to what is essentially a coin flip.

Scenario A: Everything is played straight and Carrot stays behind to become leader of Zou.
Scenario B: This is a misdirection and Carrot stows away on the Sunny or some other variation of her joining the Straw Hats.

There are pros and cons to each scenario.

TL;DR…
Pros and Cons of each Scenario

The sticking point is this: this debate would have already been over if Oda had a couple of extra panels showing Carrot coming to accept her given role. But he didn't. So now I have to keep this in my head right as we see Yamato on the cusp of joining the crew (which I don't have a problem with BTW).
Okay then why doesn’t Jump just let Oda have a bigger staff and studio then so he can release multiple chapters per-week? Other authors have done this like hajime no ippo‘s author.

Editors have ruined other series like Bleach because they forced Kubo to pander to the Shinigami fanbase to have the Gotei 13 hijack the spotlight and romanticize the heck out of them despite Kubo trying to depict the Soul Society as corrupt and a dictatorship, especially with characters like Yamamoto and Mayuri. Editors don’t always have the best decisions and advice you know, especially when they have too much power.

Also I think you should watch this video: https://youtu.be/VpqFUnipk3o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodspirit View Post
I would be interested in Oda releasing the real Wano, in a collection of drafts and concepts. He already revealed that he increased the numbers of scabbards to an unhealthy amount.
I'm pretty sure Yamato was not planned as well and is just a Tama replacement on the ship.

We already see flip-flopping between this and the last chapter. Suddenly without explanation, Oden's dad is revealing himself to Hiyori and Momonosuke despit stating 2 times in the last 4 chapters of not wanting to do that.

What was the original plan with the Nidai Kitetsu? Oda dropped weird hints about Zoro and Shimotsukis in outside sources and some "resemblance" inside the manga, but I have no clue what he wanted to tell us with that. I don't think anything ever came out of it.
There was a big switch from (regional+main)capital citizen vs villager citizen to everyone is innocent and never liked Orochi anyway.

Btw the worst offender this chapter is not carrot, it is Luffy calling himself an emperor. If the translation is accurate, which it seems to be based on Kid's reaction.
“Yamato not being planned” is just pure speculation, have you seen the “Road to LaughTale” info chapters? Yamato went through a lot of designs which wouldn’t make sense for a character supposedly made up on the spot. You want to know what wasn’t planned? The Supernovas, and they were thought up just before the chapter they were introduced: “Actually it’s not too much to say that all Supernovas have more highlight scenes than I imagined. I created Supernovas right before the chapter where they got introduced.”

Regarding Sukiyaki, where was it stated he “never intended to reveal himself to his grandchildren”? Either you got the context wrong or you read a mistranslation, I think he just wanted to reveal to them who he really was himself.

Nidai Kitetsu is clearly supposed to be Zoro’s replacement sword for Shusui which is being left in Wano. Also where was it implied that it switched from “(regional+main)capital citizen vs villager citizen to everyone is innocent and never liked Orochi anyway.” I think you are reaching a lot here and seeing problems where there are none.

Last edited by Jmariofan7; 2022-08-08 at 15:25.
Jmariofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-08, 18:31   Link #33
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Regarding Sukiyaki, where was it stated he “never intended to reveal himself to his grandchildren”? Either you got the context wrong or you read a mistranslation, I think he just wanted to reveal to them who he really was himself.
When he revealed his identity to Robin, she asked if Momo knows and he said he doesn't and he has no intention to tell him. It's the official translation.

But hey, I bet it's the evil editor interfering again. Let's put all the blame for One Piece's numerous problems on him, because Oda can do no wrong.
Old 2022-08-09, 01:18   Link #34
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Okay then why doesn’t Jump just let Oda have a bigger staff and studio then so he can release multiple chapters per-week? Other authors have done this like hajime no ippo‘s author.
You're missing the point. Oda has too much information and story to fit in a regular chapter with less dense paneling. The number of pages is just the hard limit that WSJ has placed on its authors. There's only so many pages an author can get done in one week anyway; independent of the size of his team of assistants. Only on very rare occasions do we see weekly authors do more than 17-19 pages in a single chapter.

Quote:
Editors have ruined other series like Bleach because they forced Kubo to pander to the Shinigami fanbase to have the Gotei 13 hijack the spotlight and romanticize the heck out of them despite Kubo trying to depict the Soul Society as corrupt and a dictatorship, especially with characters like Yamamoto and Mayuri. Editors don’t always have the best decisions and advice you know, especially when they have too much power.
I'm well aware that editors can have a negative influence on a manga. I'm just saying there's no public evidence of that happening to One Piece. It shouldn't even be the default explanation whenever there's something to be critical about.

Quote:
Also I think you should watch this video: https://youtu.be/VpqFUnipk3o
Urgh. YUDE-RON and his number theories... I'm not sure which part you want me to focus on. He doesn't address any of my concerns regarding Carrot's bad character writing and seems to focus on promoting Yamato for next SH (which I'm not bothered by).

All the people I've seen be satisfied with Carrot becoming leader of Zou only seem to focus on the end result rather than questioning whether that result makes any sense. There had to be a better conclusion to Carrot's story even if she doesn't join the SHs, right?
Old 2022-08-09, 10:13   Link #35
Jmariofan7

Quote:
When he revealed his identity to Robin, she asked if Momo knows and he said he doesn't and he has no intention to tell him. It's the official translation.

But hey, I bet it's the evil editor interfering again. Let's put all the blame for One Piece's numerous problems on him, because Oda can do no wrong.
“Numerous” is a bit of an exaggeration.

Errors like this tend to get fixed in the volume releases anyways.

Quote:
You're missing the point. Oda has too much information and story to fit in a regular chapter with less dense paneling. The number of pages is just the hard limit that WSJ has placed on its authors. There's only so many pages an author can get done in one week anyway; independent of the size of his team of assistants. Only on very rare occasions do we see weekly authors do more than 17-19 pages in a single chapter.

I'm well aware that editors can have a negative influence on a manga. I'm just saying there's no public evidence of that happening to One Piece. It shouldn't even be the default explanation whenever there's something to be critical about.

Urgh. YUDE-RON and his number theories... I'm not sure which part you want me to focus on. He doesn't address any of my concerns regarding Carrot's bad character writing and seems to focus on promoting Yamato for next SH (which I'm not bothered by).
How do explain Hajime no Ippo then? That had multiple chapter releases per week.

Also it should be the default definition which it comes to certain manga magazines like Jump, not to mention capitalist workplaces.

You have something against YUDE-RON? He does a good job of pointing out the number puns.

Last edited by Jmariofan7; 2022-08-09 at 10:24.
Jmariofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-09, 18:21   Link #36
Gerard07

A couple of questions;
-Big Mom and Kaido woke up their fruits?, If they did, what are their abilities?
-Are there spoilers for the movie "Red"?.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-09, 21:04   Link #37
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
How do explain Hajime no Ippo then? That had multiple chapter releases per week.
I don't recall Hajime no Ippo ever having multiple 17-19 page chapters in a single week. But an example I can recall is Fairy FTail's author Hiro Mashima who actually had some of the largest page counts for an author in a given month. On multiple occasions he released two chapters in a week and at one time even released three chapters in a week.

For whatever reason, Oda is incapable of doing this. It's just not a thing you see in Jump.

Quote:
Also it should be the default definition which it comes to certain manga magazines like Jump, not to mention capitalist workplaces.
One Piece has been serializing for 25 years and I've never heard an instance where editors have negatively affected his vision. If anything, Oda seems to place a heavy importance on the relationship between the mangaka and the editor.

Quote:
You have something against YUDE-RON? He does a good job of pointing out the number puns.
Not against YUDE-RON specifically.

TL;DR…
Elaborating...

Last edited by OH&S; 2022-08-10 at 05:23.
OH&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-12, 10:23   Link #38
TURI123456

Quote:
I don't recall Hajime no Ippo ever having multiple 17-19 page chapters in a single week. But an example I can recall is Fairy FTail's author Hiro Mashima who actually had some of the largest page counts for an author in a given month. On multiple occasions he released two chapters in a week and at one time even released three chapters in a week.

For whatever reason, Oda is incapable of doing this. It's just not a thing you see in Jump.

One Piece has been serializing for 25 years and I've never heard an instance where editors have negatively affected his vision. If anything, Oda seems to place a heavy importance on the relationship between the mangaka and the editor.

Not against YUDE-RON specifically.

TL;DR…
Elaborating...

About the creator of One Piece and the effect of his editors, the creator of One Piece himself said more than once that the editors did change the plans that he has for the series for good or bad I don't know what they change in Wano Arc but they have a big influence on the series and it's not even a question.

Fairy Tail is a special case because the creator of the series was verey fast in his work when he draw the chapters (and that impressive that he succeeded to save the same level of high painting for all the series) if that was an option in One Piece I don't think the creator of One Piece was taking a break once in a month. I don't even think it has any contact with the magazine that publishes One Piece after all One Piece is the most seller Manga at all times.

About the two last chapters (chapter 1055. and chapter 1056.) I don't know. First, the part with Carrot is weird not because she doesn't join to the Straw Hat Pirates but because she never proves any connection to pedro's dream or will, I mean yes she was close to him but she never said that she going to take his dream or something like that.
About chapter 1055. I don't have something special to say about this chapter the power levels in One Piece are bad by my opinion characters are strong just as the plot said they need to be. And it's not something new for Wano Arc or even for part two of the series however this situation that was created isn't good I mean we never saw someone use Haoshoku Haki like this before (I have a lot of problems with the Haki system but it's not the problem or the main topic here) and Shanks just use it just to scared Aramaki ("Ryokugyu") so it feels more like all of this fight was created just to make Shanks look cool but it's not created the impact for my opinion.
TURI123456 is offline   Reply With Quote