AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2022-08-02, 11:16   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 1056 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Let's go, guys! Credit goes to AP's Redon and co. for the spoiler info:

-Chapter title is "Cross Guild". In the ministory, Germa faces off against Charlotte Oven and Katakuri!

-It turns out that Kinemon missed the Ryokugyu attack because he reunited with his wife Tsuru in Kuri. Later, Inu and Neko summon Carrot, and tell her they decided to stay in Wano as Momo's retainers from now on, instead of returning to Zou. As such, they decide to make Carrot their successor as the new leader of the minks! The young mink objects to the proposal, feeling she's not ready, but Wanda and the others support the idea.

-Sukiyaki reveals his true identity to Momo and Hiyori. Both are shocked, but happily accept him into their lives, knowing they still have another living relative. Interestingly, all of the Scabbards except Kinemon knew that the old swordsmith was actually Sukiyaki, as well. Meanwhile, Robin reveals the existence of Pluton to the rest of the crew. She asks Luffy if he desires the weapon, but he flat-out rejects it. Suddenly, Shinobu, who's slim and prettier again thanks to Ryokugyu's ability, appears alongside Tama. She decides to take the little girl as her apprentice, and Luffy, like Ace, promises to let her join him as soon as she becomes a full-fledged kunoichi. Caribou, who's stowing away on the Sunny again, is shocked by the info about Pluton, and decides to share the news with *THAT* person.....

-A few days later, Momo discovers, to his surprise, that the Straw-Hats have left! For some reason though, they made their farewells to everyone but him and Kinemon. At the port, we learn that Law and Kid's crews are about to depart, as well. Since they're no longer in an alliance, the three captains decide to take different routes. Kid also notes that while he's still annoyed at the idea of Luffy being an emperor, he's even MORE pissed off that Buggy is one. Speaking of the clown, he's created a new organization known as Cross Guild. Some pretty big names have joined up with this group, as well..... such as Mihawk and Crocodile! What's more, this organization has taken to placing bounties on the heads of marines! Before they leave, Law gives Kid a copy of the Road Poneglyph, saying it's only fair after everything they've been through. Since they're also on the hunt for the One Piece, Kid says they need to find the man with a burn scar, as well, which interests Luffy. Meanwhile, Momo meets up with Yamato, who tells him that she's decided to meet up with Luffy so she can join him....!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2022-08-04 at 15:57.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-02, 12:29   Link #2
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I kind of figured Buggy might have united the former Warlords under his banner, but putting bounties on Marines is a brilliant idea! Let them be the ones hunted down!

Carrot becoming the new leader of the Minks makes zero sense unless I've missed something. Aren't there plenty of stronger, older, and more experienced Minks around? Like Shichilian or Wanda. Feels like Oda just wanted to throw a fans a bone after treating her like a background character for all of Wano. And for not making her join as well, but that's been obvious for a very long time.

Of course, there's a break right when we're about to find out whether Yamato will join or not. Yeah, I know it's a Jump break for Obon but still.
Old 2022-08-02, 14:15   Link #3
Gerard07

Seen the spoilers; how did Buggy bring Mihawk and Crododile to his side? (I know that they are surely not his subordinates or loyal to him, but that he took them to his side in some way is still incredible), and I like that of placing rewards on the marines (but where would he get the money for that?), Luffy , Kid and Law will go their separate ways and Inu and Neko will stay in Wano but Carrot will be his successor? (as they said above, there should be better options, besides I wanted her as a nakama) and Yamato will surely join the crew, to wait for the confirmation and the next chapter.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-02, 14:26   Link #4
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
-The titular "Cross Guild" refers to a new organization created by none other than one of the new emperors, Buggy! Some pretty big names have joined up with this group, as well..... such as Mihawk and Crocodile! What's more, Buggy pulls off one of his most daring stunts yet, as he places bounties on the heads of the marines!!!
I can’t believe that Mihawk of all serious people would even join with the chaotic Emperor Buggy. As for the clown having to put bounties on the marines, Akainu/Sakazuki won’t be able to live that down.

Quote:
-Back at Wano, Inu and Neko decide to stay there from now on, instead of returning to Zou. As such, they decide to appoint Carrot to succeed them as the new leader of the minks! Amusingly, we also discover that, as a result of Ryokugyu's nutrition-absorbing attack, the kunoichi Shinobu has become slim and prettier again.
So much for having Carrot join the Strawhat crew. Would like to see how Shinobu has changed after her encounter with Ryokugyu/Aramaki. Sanji would become a stone statue and then have regrets for not appreciating her looks earlier.

Quote:
-The time has finally come for the Straw-Hats to leave Wano. Amusingly, Caribou of all people is aboard the Sunny, as well. As for Law and Kid, they're prepared to depart as well, but they'll be taking separate routes from Luffy. Apparently, Kid is on the hunt for another pirate, but not Shanks. Back to the Straw-Hats, just as they're departing, Yamato runs up to their ship, asking them if she could join their crew....
Can’t believe we have to deal with Caribou once again. As for Yamato joining the Strawhat crew I feel that I have to beg like Homer Simpson to make that happen: “Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please.”
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-02, 14:32   Link #5
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard07 View Post
Seen the spoilers; how did Buggy bring Mihawk and Crododile to his side? (I know that they are surely not his subordinates or loyal to him, but that he took them to his side in some way is still incredible), and I like that of placing rewards on the marines (but where would he get the money for that?), Luffy , Kid and Law will go their separate ways and Inu and Neko will stay in Wano but Carrot will be his successor? (as they said above, there should be better options, besides I wanted her as a nakama) and Yamato will surely join the crew, to wait for the confirmation and the next chapter.
Bounties don’t come from one source. The WG could do so based on the vast wealth of the CDs but Generally they are funded by individuals, groups, or nations. Buggy is likely acting as an intermediary for governments and groups that are at odds with the WG even if just behind the scenes. I imagine that the revolutionary army is sending him lots of funds for it.

At least this gives a good reason for Buggy being an emperor lol. That’s definitely more dangerous for them than an individual with power. Not to mention taking warlords under his wing. They likely aren’t loyal but being paid to hunt marines would be profitable and being under his wing gives them choice picks.
Old 2022-08-03, 03:45   Link #6
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
-Back at Wano, Inu and Neko decide to stay there from now on, instead of returning to Zou. As such, they decide to appoint Carrot to succeed them as the new leader of the minks!
I've been keeping silent these past few weeks mostly because I wanted to wait and see how Oda will conclude Wano before commenting (and I didn't really have any problems with the new content independent of how I feel about the final 40ish chapters of the raid). But this is absolutely infuriating, dogshit writing by Oda if this comes to pass. The decision to make Carrot, of all people, be the new leader of the minks and not Wanda or Shishilian makes ZERO sense.

TL;DR…
Preamble
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

WTF is Oda smoking!?

If this really is just a way to lock Carrot out of becoming a nakama and giving some sort of consolation prize to Carrot fans, then this is frankly insulting. It would have been more consistent for Oda to just flat out ignore Carrot for the rest of the series. This is so jarring a development that I'm half expecting Carrot to just sneak aboard the Sunny just like in Zou; at least that would be consistent. Until I see Carrot accepting this new position and see her standing on the port to watch the Straw Hats leave Wano without her, this is my headcanon. But at this point I have zero faith in Oda.

Last edited by OH&S; 2022-08-04 at 21:35. Reason: tldr tags
OH&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-03, 07:20   Link #7
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I've been on the Yamato ship since the beginning but now I'm having horrible doubts. Why would she wait until the last minute to chase after the Sunny? The spoilers I've read doesn't mention her asking to join their crew, just that she starts chasing at the end. I'm thinking the incident with Ryokugyu really got to her and after mulling it over she decided to stay in Wano to protect it and mentor Momo, and she's there to say her goodbyes.

New spoilers mentions Tama will be mentored by Shinobu and Luffy makes her the same promise Ace did: once she becomes a bewitching kunoichi, she can join his crew.
Old 2022-08-03, 13:24   Link #8
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I've been on the Yamato ship since the beginning but now I'm having horrible doubts. Why would she wait until the last minute to chase after the Sunny? The spoilers I've read doesn't mention her asking to join their crew, just that she starts chasing at the end. I'm thinking the incident with Ryokugyu really got to her and after mulling it over she decided to stay in Wano to protect it and mentor Momo, and she's there to say her goodbyes.
Except not. Yamato is on the roof and is Momo the one she tells straight that is time for her to follow on Oden's footsteps and join Luffy just like Oden travelled with Roger.

Afterall, One Piece is a story about destiny and inherited will. Both Luffy and Yamato are following on the footspets of their respective idolized role models, there won't be any drama. If anything, I'm more interested in the possibility that Kaido gets up just as the Strawhats are leaving.
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-03, 13:47   Link #9
grecefar

I'll wait and see the buggy part, since it's hard to believe mihawk and crocodile following buggy. I only imagine that mihawk is bored and crocodile has his own agenda and needs buggy for now.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-03, 18:06   Link #10
Tuor

I never was very hot on the idea of Carrot becoming part of the crew, but if it did happen I wouldn't have been upset about it. I do like her and she's had to go through some pretty harsh things together with the Straw Hats.

The same is *not* true for Yamato. But, I think I'll refrain from anything more about her until the next chapter is out and we get a definitive answer as to whether or not she is allowed to join the crew.

Also, I agree with those who have said that Carrot hasn't show any real leadership qualities. She's strong and loyal and fun to be around, but she really comes across more as a follower than a leader. I'm wondering what's going on in Oda's head these days. I feel like he's lost a step or two over the last few story arcs, and that's troubling to me.
Tuor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-03, 18:38   Link #11
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

We have the full dialogue for the Carrot thing... and it's just laughable. Oda didn't manage to cook a single good reason why she should be leader, making it all the more obvious this is meant to be the consolation prize for Carrot fans.
Old 2022-08-03, 21:14   Link #12
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
We have the full dialogue for the Carrot thing... and it's just laughable. Oda didn't manage to cook a single good reason why she should be leader, making it all the more obvious this is meant to be the consolation prize for Carrot fans.
Its so bad. They're just thrusting it upon her and we don't even see her come to terms with it and make the decision to do it on her own. And they're using her inheriting Pedro's will as the underlying reason? There's no connection between that and becoming the leader of the minks.

Oda, why!?
Old 2022-08-03, 22:22   Link #13
patnam

is Caribou kinda stalker...?!
from the start of "2 years later", follow Straw-Hat all the way to Wano, he must have observe a lot of actions made by Straw-Hat pirates...
patnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-04, 04:58   Link #14
Hoodspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
WTF is Oda smoking!?
I would be interested in Oda releasing the real Wano, in a collection of drafts and concepts. He already revealed that he increased the numbers of scabbards to an unhealthy amount.
I'm pretty sure Yamato was not planned as well and is just a Tama replacement on the ship.

We already see flip-flopping between this and the last chapter. Suddenly without explanation, Oden's dad is revealing himself to Hiyori and Momonosuke despit stating 2 times in the last 4 chapters of not wanting to do that.

What was the original plan with the Nidai Kitetsu? Oda dropped weird hints about Zoro and Shimotsukis in outside sources and some "resemblance" inside the manga, but I have no clue what he wanted to tell us with that. I don't think anything ever came out of it.
There was a big switch from (regional+main)capital citizen vs villager citizen to everyone is innocent and never liked Orochi anyway.

Btw the worst offender this chapter is not carrot, it is Luffy calling himself an emperor. If the translation is accurate, which it seems to be based on Kid's reaction.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-04, 09:34   Link #15
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodspirit View Post
<snip>
I'm in general agreement with most of what you've brought up (though not everything). I just don't want to comment on it until after the curtains close on Wano Act 3; at least then we'll know its the end.

But in short, a lot of the stuff you've mentioned along with the way Carrot's been handled are part of an all-encompassing critique on how everything has played out from Chapter 1011 onwards. Mainly that it was a phase of the manga where S-tier and D-tier writing decisions were occurring repeatedly one after the other; sometimes within the same chapter; sometimes at the exact same time. There is no other arc of One Piece that is like this.
Old 2022-08-04, 17:55   Link #16
Gerard07

Given the updated spoilers, hopefully Carrot will stowaway on the Sunny again and become a nakama (I'm still hopeful), the captains will take different routes, and Caribou already knows 2 ancient weapons (by the way, among all the people there, not are anyone who can use haki and detect Caribou?), to wait for the chapter.

Last edited by Gerard07; 2022-08-04 at 22:27.
Old 2022-08-05, 05:14   Link #17
mickbis

Luffy and Kid are more alike indeed LMAO I like the 3-captain chemistry as a rival.
Carrot become the duke is unexpecting and we will need to see how it work out.
and Luffy bring Luffy never told his friend of the arc about their departure again
mickbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-05, 11:45   Link #18
Jmariofan7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
Its so bad. They're just thrusting it upon her and we don't even see her come to terms with it and make the decision to do it on her own. And they're using her inheriting Pedro's will as the underlying reason? There's no connection between that and becoming the leader of the minks.

Oda, why!?
How about instead of blaming everything on Oda, you blame the editors that are probably interfering, Oda has stated that he wanted to draw more scenes of Smoothie in the Totland arc, he also stated that the Marineford arc should have been twice the chapters.
Jmariofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-05, 13:25   Link #19
Homura7

As always, the spoilers never tell the full picture and give the wrong impression. It's at this point I think MarbelB should just lock the thread up until the full release, no posting spoilers. But I also know you can't do that.
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-05, 15:56   Link #20
Gerard07

Seen the chapter, it seems that Caribou was not on the ship but found out about the weapons, Carrot received the news that she will be the successor of Inu and Neko, Luffy and the others did not say goodbye to Momo (why? cry?) and the 3 captains will go their separate ways and Kid seems to have an idea where the other Road Poneglyph is, waiting for the next chapter.
By the way, is there really no chapter next week? I ask since I didn't see the message that there was no chapter next week?