AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 14 Rating
Perfect 10 104 53.61%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 55 28.35%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 8.76%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 4.64%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 2.58%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 1.03%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.03%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-11, 06:38   Link #121
Akka

Very good episode. Alternating the funny (Mikuru's blasting water gun while Haruhi talk to a kid was priceless ) and the serious (Itsuki speaking about the bloodbath going on behind the scene is seriously frightening and shows the whole Haruhi club take a whole other perspective - if I were Kyon, I would lose sleep about all the lives destroyed due to how I handled or not a whimsical little girl).

The "prologue at the end" was weird - I thought it was the actual ending until I went here and read it on this thread.
But the progress from "fiction interwined with reality" toward "fiction in movie, reality is real" was well done, and the idea actually worked and felt logical.
One thing I wonder : the public seemed shocked when seeing the movie. I can't decide if Haruhi's desire for her movie to be great affected people and entranced them, or if they were just stunned by how bad the movie was.

A last thing this episode made, was to change a lot the feeling of the group. Up 'til now, they all seemed to be a gang of different people from different factions teaming up for a common interest, in a rather light-hearted mood ; that is, they had huge responsabilities, but rather liked being together.
This ep make the whole show take a different turn, and give them a much more ambiguous feeling, of manipulative people wearing a mask and ready for any infighting, only glued at the same place by Haruhi.
For me, this episode was much better than the previous one, and made the show move forward more - though I know the previous was, in fact, more important, because it dealt with Haruhi and not the "small fry" around her ; but as I find this "small fry" more interesting, and where the story actually takes place, well...

How, and as a side not, I know that many people have read the novels, but it's becoming very tiring to see all kind of half-spoilers from the next iteration when you only saw the animes - and when you wish to keep it that way - , some people should get a better look at the first post in each of the anime episode thread.
Old 2009-09-11, 06:49   Link #122
worldruined
power tends to corrupt

Send a message via AIM to worldruined
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akka View Post
One thing I wonder : the public seemed shocked when seeing the movie. I can't decide if Haruhi's desire for her movie to be great affected people and entranced them, or if they were just stunned by how bad the movie was.
Ogling Asahina-san.

(And possibly mentally writing death threats for Koizumi.)
Old 2009-09-11, 06:52   Link #123
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Quote:
How, and as a side not, I know that many people have read the novels, but it's becoming very tiring to see all kind of half-spoilers from the next iteration when you only saw the animes - and when you wish to keep it that way - , some people should get a better look at the first post in each of the anime episode thread.
Just go and read the novels already. Hell, you can start with Disappearance (4th novel) at this point. It isn't that heavy a read and you can easily finish it up over the course of a day.

To be honest, I don't know how an anime adaptation of Disappearance is gonna live up to the LN... that's how great I think it is.

Also, the LNs provide a more vivid experience with Kyon. I think you'd enjoy looking through his eyes.
Old 2009-09-11, 07:18   Link #124
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

- Did Haruhi just hum Ritt der Walküren?
- OH GOD I'M LAUGHING MY ASS OFF SHAMISENS VOICE IS AWESOME
- Fuck yes, Yuki talk!
- Lolwut, suddenly three dimensional camera work?
- What the fuck, super water guns? Nice dodging work, Yuki.
- Extremely shady Koizumi again. Did he really just joke?
- Oh my god I swear to god the epilogue was so brilliantly made. I was hammering my desk the entire time. WIN DIRECTION IS WIN.

10/10, seriously.

I was fucking SMASHING MY HAND ON THE DESK, HAMMERING because most of the scenes were just fucking awesome.

After all the EE crap, I can't believe they still did Sighs so incredibly good. I'd even dare say it's better than the novel counterpart.

And now it's over ;_;
Old 2009-09-11, 07:32   Link #125
palehorse864

Paste it together.

Someone needs to take sighs and paste it all together while removing the intro and exit to make a seamless Haruhi movie. They have to be careful though to end it exactly on the last frame and begin the next segment exactly on the first frame while resubtitling. Hopefully in HD.

How do you break apart MKV files and get them into Sony Vegas? I would love to try this at home, but I would probably have to watch it without subtitles after that.

Hrh, I'm not sure what to do with the end except leave it. It cuts from them going to screen the movie (Pre episode 00) to them walking out of the screening room (Right after Haruhi says "Ne Kyon!?" in Episode 00) and then cuts to the festival which should be at some point during the middle of Live Alive, it then cuts to the prologue.

If you wanted to edit it all together, throw the prologue on the front, cut straight from them leaving the club room to Episode 00, and then after the "Ne Kyon" at the end of Episode 00, cut back to the last part of Sighs with them walking out of the club room and maybe integrate the rest into Live Alive.
Old 2009-09-11, 07:55   Link #126
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
What happened in that game, by the way? I doubt is canon (unless Tanigawa had write the plot), bt I am curious now.
Spoiler for PSP Haruhi game story summary:
Old 2009-09-11, 07:57   Link #127
Akka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac195 View Post
Just go and read the novels already.
Which part of "when you only saw the animes - and when you wish to keep it that way" escaped you ?
Old 2009-09-11, 08:16   Link #128
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
She was distracted by a kid talking to her right when the guns fired...

That part made me laugh a hell of a lot, actually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Yep, that's Haruhi. Managed to be distracted even when there was a huge explosion and debris falling from the sky...and possibly the kid in shock from the event.

Kind of weird that she's the reality warper...she missed everything. Or at least it doesn't click even if she notices...like the cherry trees blooming...in October/November. But then, as she said, otherwise it would be too easy, having everyone at her fingertips already. But they are Haruhi, they just don't want you to know for their own various reasons...and the hope you won't destroy the universe.
Lol, I totally missed that kid. Must be funny, yeah. There is still the 'shurikens'. And the explosions. And, following the novel, the micro black hole. That kid surely talks a lot.

Quote:
As said by worldruined, the people wasn't shocked, they were oggling Mikuru. I aways understand it was Haruhi wanted the movie to be a sucess, i.e., many people watching it. Which happened, due to Asahina beautifulness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
Spoiler for PSP Haruhi game story summary:
I see. Thanks.
Old 2009-09-11, 08:41   Link #129
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse864 View Post
Someone needs to take sighs and paste it all together while removing the intro and exit to make a seamless Haruhi movie. They have to be careful though to end it exactly on the last frame and begin the next segment exactly on the first frame while resubtitling. Hopefully in HD.
Won't work. Unless no one minds sudden shifts in quality mid-scene.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-09-11, 08:51   Link #130
Rice_slayer
Resident Car Buff

^ LMAO! True though, art has been great for the past few episodes. I loved this one but hate it because we don't know when the next new episode(if there ever will be one made...). 10/10, Shami was hilarious and did anyone else notice Tsuyura standing in the shadows when Mikuru was talking with Kyon? Dang this was a good series ender, but now I dont have a weekly anime fix for awhile .
Old 2009-09-11, 09:07   Link #131
worldruined
power tends to corrupt

Quote:
As said by worldruined, the people wasn't shocked, they were oggling Mikuru. I aways understand it was Haruhi wanted the movie to be a sucess, i.e., many people watching it. Which happened, due to Asahina beautifulness.
It's mostly just the Asahina Mikuru Fan Club. If you watch Live Alive, you'll notice that the same all-male glasses-wearing audience also makes up the crowd of customers at her class's fried soba café (which had nothing to do with Haruhi).

Conversely, the entire audience for Koizumi's play seems to consist of girls. (I never caught this before, but... some of the girls in the front are even snapping photos with their cell phones. Apparently there's a Koizumi Itsuki Fan Club in school, too? XD)
Old 2009-09-11, 09:08   Link #132
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice_slayer View Post
now I dont have a weekly anime fix for awhile .
Umineko no Naku Koro ni.

Unless murder mysteries with a touch of the supernatural aren't your thing, then I don't know what to tell you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldruined View Post
Conversely, the entire audience for Koizumi's play seems to consist of girls. (I never caught this before, but... some of the girls in the front are even snapping photos with their cell phones. Apparently there's a Koizumi Itsuki Fan Club in school, too? XD)
Mikuru and Nagato are both confirmed to have "fan clubs" within the school, and Kyon has mentioned how attractive Koizumi is several times. Doesn't surprise me in the least.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-09-11, 09:13   Link #133
OkamiNoKaze

And Sighs has come to an end, I thought it was interesting putting that scene at the end rather then the beginning of the story. Shamisen was awesome. I noticed Tsuruya lurking in the back ground of that scene too. I liked that shot of Kyon looking at the nebula looking sky. As far as the movie finishing itself, I was under the impression all the footage was shot, I think that includes the Mikuru song. that it was just editing and other post production stuff needed being done. I think showing the show in Chronological order, and end presumable ending on Someday in the rain ( which always had a season end, rather then a series end feel) could indicate more at some point. Now that the new episode are finished, does anyone think it should they should have been included at the beginning, of course with maybe 4 less endless 8 episodes?
Old 2009-09-11, 09:14   Link #134
Heatth

Quote:
It's mostly just the Asahina Mikuru Fan Club. If you watch Live Alive, you'll notice that the same all-male glasses-wearing audience also makes up the crowd of customers at her class's fried soba café (which had nothing to do with Haruhi).

Well, yeah. But is still a lot of people. I think Haruhi was more concerned about the quantity of the public over the quality.

And, yeah, Itsuki is very good looking. Even Kyon says so.
Old 2009-09-11, 09:25   Link #135
worldruined
power tends to corrupt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
...and Kyon has mentioned how attractive Koizumi is several times.
Oh, Kyon. Koizumi would probably appreciate it if you complimented him out loud a little more often.

Now I wonder if Koizumi's class decided to switch to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead precisely to give him a larger role in the hopes of attracting a larger crowd. XD

Quote:
Well, yeah. But is still a lot of people. I think Haruhi was more concerned about the quantity of the public over the quality.
I don't think it was really Haruhi's doing, though, other than her excellent judgment in choosing her mascot (and thus her leading actress). A movie starring a beauty like Asahina-san in skimpy outfits would have attracted her fan club no matter what, with or without Haruhi, which is why the same crowd is also at the café. They're just following their idol.
Old 2009-09-11, 09:36   Link #136
Heatth

Quote:
I don't think it was really Haruhi's doing, though, other than her excellent judgment in choosing her mascot (and thus her leading actress). A movie starring a beauty like Asahina-san in skimpy outfits would have attracted her fan club no matter what, with or without Haruhi, which is why the same crowd is also at the café. They're just following their idol.
I believe Haruhi's powers don't work in a 'magic' way. Is not like she wants something and then something just pop from nowhere (exept for the end of Melancholy and Sighs), but things just naturally work fine to her. She is a good student, an athletic person, everyone who she randomly grabs to her club accept without complain... She wants to win a game, so someone will cheat to make it possible, she wants many hits on her site, so something happens to get over 2 million on the counter... She watns many people to see her movie, so many people do.

There is a a logical explanation for every ocasion. But is still happening because Haruhi wants to.
Old 2009-09-11, 09:40   Link #137
OkamiNoKaze

Oh and I also loved haruhi humming Ride of the Valkeries, some how in my mind, "Kill the wabbit" went through my head, along with the image of Haruhi in a viking helmet chasing Mikuru.
Old 2009-09-11, 09:47   Link #138
typhonsentra

What I always found so irritating about this portion of the story is how it's never built upon. After volume two we never again hear much about the rivalries between espers and time travelers. Matter of fact, they're aligned with each other now apparently. It's interesting though, even if he was tired this is probably the one and only time Koizumi's ever let his guard down in front of Kyon and was honest with him about his intentions in their club.

Another thing, it's been years since I read the book but I remember a scene where Koizumi is trying to convince Harhi to let him trade places with Kyon as he's so exhausted. Am I just remembering wrong or was it cut?
Old 2009-09-11, 09:57   Link #139
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkamiNoKaze View Post
Oh and I also loved haruhi humming Ride of the Valkeries, some how in my mind, "Kill the wabbit" went through my head
... Damn you! Now I'm gonna hear that.
Old 2009-09-11, 10:23   Link #140
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
The "prologue at the end" was weird - I thought it was the actual ending until I went here and read it on this thread.
They give one clue for the eagle-eyed that this scene takes place before the rest of Sighs, and before BLR, even.

Spoiler for Hint, pay attention to the clubroom shot while Kyon and Haruhi are talking:

Quote:
But the progress from "fiction interwined with reality" toward "fiction in movie, reality is real" was well done, and the idea actually worked and felt logical.
Apparently 100% of the movie's audience are teenaged boys. They're probably not watching for the plot.

Quote:
A last thing this episode made, was to change a lot the feeling of the group. Up 'til now, they all seemed to be a gang of different people from different factions teaming up for a common interest, in a rather light-hearted mood ; that is, they had huge responsabilities, but rather liked being together.
This ep make the whole show take a different turn, and give them a much more ambiguous feeling, of manipulative people wearing a mask and ready for any infighting, only glued at the same place by Haruhi.
Now we know where Koizumi gets the strength to restrain Kyon one-handed. I can see a young Koizumi, in the days before he transferred into North High, carrying out hits against rival organizations in the dead of night. Beating up people for protection money. Running guns and drugs to finance the Organization's secret war. If they made a game about that, I'd play it.