AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-20, 21:56   Link #1
the hispanic viewer

Which Gundam? (mecha)

Ok so latley I have been wanting to watch some Mecha anime and the only series close to that I have seen is Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan ( Which I REALLY enjoyed and is one of my favorite anime ever) So since Gundam series are really the "father" of mechas I wanted to know which series I should watch first. Im not really picky but one that included some laghfs will be great.
Also I remember a video of someone named Domon doing the move " shining finger" (which was really awesome) and want to know from which one that was from.
Old 2010-08-20, 22:07   Link #2
GreatTeacherKen

Domon is from G Gundam and if you liked TTGL, you'll most likely enjoy that series as it's just as over the top and epic as TTGL. However G Gundam is a bit of an anomaly in the Gundam franchise as a whole. G Gundam and TTGL would be classified as Super Robot shows which are generally over the top in style. Most Gundam series would be considered Real Robot which are comparatively realistic, in other words, less combining mechs, special moves, and hot-blooded speeches.

If you don't mind the older artwork style you can start with the original 1979 Mobile Suit Gundam if you want to get an idea of what the Real Robot genre is like.
Old 2010-08-20, 22:35   Link #3
Maiku-kun
The Rider

Mobile Suit Gundam is a good watch yeah, but if you need something a little newer you could go with Gundam Wing, the 08th MS Team is also a good one
Old 2010-08-20, 23:31   Link #4
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the hispanic viewer View Post
Ok so latley I have been wanting to watch some Mecha anime and the only series close to that I have seen is Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan ( Which I REALLY enjoyed and is one of my favorite anime ever) So since Gundam series are really the "father" of mechas I wanted to know which series I should watch first. Im not really picky but one that included some laghfs will be great.
Also I remember a video of someone named Domon doing the move " shining finger" (which was really awesome) and want to know from which one that was from.
I'm a HUGE Gundam enthusiast and have seen every single thing Gundam has to offer...The key is what you want to see first..If you're the type that can't watch older animation then that is what it is, but if you can you'll see how special Gundam is and how it cultivated the REAL ROBOTS genre...

This post reveals all of the series and movies in stark detail...Again, if I were you're age I'd watch the first series that really intrigued me, and then from there, once you get a feel...Go back (or forward) and watch the older series and see how it works out...I mean unless you were around watching anime in 1978, no one has really watched these things in true order...You can now, but that's your prerogative...

Some people will say this one or that one sucks, but make up you're own mind, because IMO there is nothing truly like Gundam and at it's highest peak it has so much true meaning...The realty and hardship of war and the cost for the preservation of humankind is always on the line...Expressed through the power of a Gundam...

Yeah that was cheezy, but you'll feel like that if you take this trip^^...

Enjoy...

P.S. It's NOTHING like TTGL, sorry if that broke you're hopes...It's (for the most part) reliant on more "realistic" elements, not as shonen-cartooney like TTGL, except for maybe G Gundam which is basically Street Fighter Video Game Level Gundam Show...
Old 2010-08-20, 23:53   Link #5
the hispanic viewer

Ohhh ok thanks everyone! Yaa I didnt think they were gonna be like TTGL but thats really the only mecha I have seen so i posted it there. Yaa i really dont care if its old animation and im alwas looking for something new or I havnt seen. I will probably watch Mobile Suit Gundam first so I can be aquainted with the series/franchise/genre and after every about 4 episodes I will watch G GUndam since its "Super robots" Like TTGL.
Old 2010-08-21, 00:10   Link #6
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Well even G Gundam, while more video game like in presentation, I still wouldn't say it's like TTGL except for the fact it's more cartooney...The animation isn't even close to as bizarre and fluid...If you want to truly watch something like TTGL, I'd suggest FLCL and the movie Dead Leaves...Those have the crazy fast-paced animation stylings of TTGL (Summer Wars would also be a movie you'd like)...But if you must consume Gundam and want fast-paced fluid action as a premium, Gundam OO, Gundam F91, MSG 8th MS team, Gundam 0083, and Gundam Wing provides this to varying degrees...
Old 2010-08-21, 00:17   Link #7
the hispanic viewer

Ohhh Im not saying it will be like that but on like how great teacher said its not "realistic" and it has special moves, you know things like that. Thanks for more suggestions thogh!
Old 2010-08-21, 00:21   Link #8
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^Oh, well there's special moves out the ying-yang in G so have at it! People like to hate but I think G has one of the most epic finales in all of Gundam...You might want some 3d-Glasses...
Old 2010-08-21, 08:39   Link #9
shazi302

Well, virtually, the Gundam has two kind of series in my view.
The classic one and the novel one.

1, The classic one: the time line is UC (Universal Century). It 's a sort of real Epics as the Lord of the Rings. Everything goes like a real war. People and MS do not have super power basing on the "real scientific theory".
Gundam 0078, Z, ZZ, 0083, 8th MS team, 0080, Unicorn are in this class

2, The novel one: in this class, Every production is independent. There is no unified time line. The stories and roles will attract more young people. Roles in these Gundam will be handsome and young, they will have super skills at last, and Gundams are awesome and have the power to go against a whole fleet without strict scientific explaination. So it's cool, but out of reality.
Gundam W, G, V, X, Ture A, F91, Seed, OO are there

All in all, you can find what your type or choose all of them!!
Old 2010-08-21, 14:37   Link #10
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^ You need to swap V Gundam out as it is also a UC series (and much like Zeta Gundam in theme)...Additionally the super-powers exist as much in UC as they do in the independent series, it's just in UC it's more contained, and it doesn't just rely on "kewl-factor" like how Kira Yamato level characters win...More strategy and "realism" is present even when battling newtypes (Now Gundam X is a bit tricky because it's the one non-UC show that's all about Newtypes, but Newtype powers in that show aren't consistent with UC level Newtype powers for the most part, for example in GX, there are Newtype Dolphins ;/lolwhut^^)...
Old 2010-08-22, 05:17   Link #11
shazi302

^ Oh, you are right. I have some misleading failures. Thanks for your additions.

I just want to make things easier for him. lol
Old 2010-08-22, 09:27   Link #12
the hispanic viewer

Ohhh ok thanks! So by reading the post and the coments ill start with the UC series ( the original) and start watching that first which includes 0079, Zetta and the other ones. Cause for a while I was confused on the timeline of the series

Tags
gundam, mecha