AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-04-22, 19:56   Link #101
Ishida

I can't get on the website that has all of the HnG torrents. Is it just me or is everyone having this problem. I only need the last 15 episodes too. Dammit

Edit:never mind, its back up.

Last edited by Ishida; 2004-04-22 at 21:09.
Ishida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-22, 20:55   Link #102
neXgenErazn

yeh wat did ever happen to the site i cant seem to dl the torrents anymore.. not good
neXgenErazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-24, 04:23   Link #103
Sylvanthious

I've noticed it goes down and then comes back up a day or two later.
Sylvanthious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-24, 14:32   Link #104
hawick

They should've continue the manga and the anime. I bet Hng's popularity will be as near as Naruto, or maybe more. Remember the days when every episodes of HNG comes out of fansub, there are at least 9000+ people downloading it at the same time? I think the peak was 10000+. Those were the days.
hawick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-24, 15:24   Link #105
ShikaShika
無罪

I'm pretty glad it ended while it was still good. 75 eps is still pretty much.
ShikaShika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-26, 14:53   Link #106
donna8157

wow 9000-10000 dls when the hng episodes came out? that's crazy. hehe.. i heard that they would finish up the manga with just the specials and ovas.
donna8157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-26, 17:12   Link #107
Sylvanthious

Is the manga still ongoing?
Sylvanthious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-26, 17:14   Link #108
donna8157

I think the manga is complete although the ending was not very satisfying.
Old 2004-04-26, 19:09   Link #109
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanthious
Is the manga still ongoing?
From what I heard, the mangaka got tired of doing the series and just dropped it suddenly. I'm not sure if this was really true or just rumors though.
Old 2004-04-26, 23:00   Link #110
Asakura_Y0h
little black butterfly

Send a message via MSN to Asakura_Y0h
i don't suppose he got tired from the way it sounds but i think this issue has been highlighted before that the writer probably got himself stuck in a rut...quoting someone from this thread the person said that the writer probably got stuck and decided to end it there because Japan Go isn't as good as China or Koreas and basically the ending message was that Japan had a lot of potential for Go and still had many more battles to face....

He wasn't able to continue the show and make Japan beat China or Korea flat without starting some controversial issues because in the real world, that isn't the case... this puts him in a fix... which is why in the last OVA or the cup specials....although i haven't watched it so correct me if i'm wrong
Spoiler:

although the manga ended where it did which is way before the anime ended, the writer probably saw it coming and decided to end it that way because he couldn't see how else to end it... or the other assumption would be that he left it at that because he wanted ppl to feel the anger and frustration hikaru felt losing Sai...i don't know, i didn't read the manga... but my guess is he probably got stuck and the anime went on to cover a little further so that it would satisfy the fans a bit more
Asakura_Y0h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-27, 22:21   Link #111
donna8157

The anime goes along further than the manga? I thought it was still behind the manga right now. Anyway, the ending was incredibly.

Spoiler:
Old 2004-04-28, 01:24   Link #112
shiden

that is a bit urgy.

i hate it when they end it so unfinished.
Well to me it is unfinished.
shiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 01:32   Link #113
Asakura_Y0h
little black butterfly

hmmm... with reference to the above

Spoiler:

omg... can't talk about these endings anymore... becoming teary eyed....

but wanna say that, whether ppl refer to the anime, manga or ova endings.. they all kinda in their own way leads to one conclusion... to achieve the hand of god one needs to work very hard and that the world of go is so huge that its never ending just like the never ending possibilities and created strategies of the game... so for those who watched this and were waiting for Hikaru to achieve the hand of god... i guess i can see why it must be frustrating... but for me i think that it was fine... not the best but appropriate.
Old 2004-04-28, 05:15   Link #114
Fronzel
Schmuck

Well, they really don't even mention the Hand of God that much, in the anime at least, so it didn't bother me.

Also the fact that it sounds kinda silly.
Fronzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 08:19   Link #115
bluemist
i am the mist

Good things about Hikaru no Go:

I'm not trying to put Sai out of the equation (I like that character too, he's a cool guy), but ever since Sai is gone, the fantasy of the series shifted into reality. Because there's no one to help Hikaru anymore, his Go skills are truly his now.

The fantasy-to-reality shift is what I really like most. Unlike other shounen series (PoT), where the stuff becomes more and more unrealistic and impossible considering it portrays real sports or games (yea, the tennis ball looks like DBZ fireballs now), Hikaru no Go has 'real progression'.

I particularly liked Hikaru's progression, from him completely relying on Sai (fantasy), to sharing games with Sai (fantasy), and then to developing his own powerful game of Go. When Sai is gone (reality), his skills refine further and further, but again it follows the rules of reality, in which you can't be the ultimate genius in just a matter of years. That is why we still see Hikaru losing, and also Touya Akira loses a number of times as well.

The world of Go in real life is a very dynamic game to put a story into, and it allowed the mangaka to be very flexible in developing good story arcs. Go clubs in school, school Go tournaments, professionalism and amateurism in Go, random Go matches, Go rankings, major Go tournaments, international Go tournaments... these are just some of the stuff we saw in the series. This is very unlike other shounen anime right now (ehem PoT again), just focusing on a single straightforward story where the lead characters MUST WIN just to advance the major part of the story.
bluemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 09:50   Link #116
ShikaShika
無罪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asakura_Y0h
so for those who watched this and were waiting for Hikaru to achieve the hand of god... i guess i can see why it must be frustrating...
I think it was pretty obvious after Sai's last monolouge that we wouldn't ever see the hand of god being achieved. So that didn't bother me at all. It's just something that drives the characters. I think the anime ending is perfect even though you want more (a good sign of a great anime) it's a perfect place end it. And then the OVAs are just bonuses.
ShikaShika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 10:19   Link #117
slapstick

yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
From what I heard, the mangaka got tired of doing the series and just dropped it suddenly. I'm not sure if this was really true or just rumors though.
She dropped it suddenly because she finally realized how bad it sucks. To bad it took her 189 chapters to realize that.
slapstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-29, 08:55   Link #118
Scorpion

Send a message via ICQ to Scorpion Send a message via MSN to Scorpion
I think u should read through this whole topic before u say something like that again,if i recall it right someone mentioned that when they stopped doing it after Sai died the fans got angry and went into an uproar..that seems too tell alot of wheter it sucks or not
Scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-30, 01:17   Link #119
Asakura_Y0h
little black butterfly

don't get ureself workedup about his comment on Hikaru being sucky... its just his opinion anyway.... for those of us who have lived through and read through and sat through to watch the go players torments.. and then went to play the game for ourselves to try how hard it is... experienced the frustration of losing so many times because of that........ its only natural that we love the show better than him...

besides... maybe he doesn't have the patience to watch the show or read the manga and doesn't think that go is interesting... anyway... enough analysing about what he thinks... just want to clarify that a mangaka in reality would never ever drop doing something because they think their own work sucked .... i mean would u wanna drop 189 chapters worth of hard work because it sucked? its possible she got tired of thinking 'what next'..... but i doubt that the right word is sucky...
Old 2004-04-30, 02:28   Link #120
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
If it IS true, then I'm glad she stopped it. Nothing worse than forcing a writer to continue a series when she's out of stuff to say. And, really, as much as I love the series, what else WAS there to say? The Akira/Hikaru rivalry will never end, Hikaru came to terms with Sai's death, we have begun to explore international waters (expanding the playing field into worldwide - as though the Internet didn't do that already)

It might have been nice to see Hikaru winning a title, but that's probably still years off. Both he and Akira lost to their respective elders - even though Akira was playing to his fullest abilities, he couldn't beat Ogata - and assuming Ogata is on par with other titlists, Akira (and by extension Hikaru) can't take any titles just yet.
Well...I have no idea if that made sense or not...
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote