AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-17, 11:17   Link #1
+BakuretsuNavi

Can somebody plz tell me what an Alchemist is?

O god, don't think I'm stupid(or baka). I didn't mean it by the way the show tells it. I meant like, what is an alchemist really. Is it like scryed (a person that alters objects near him/her), is it like gatekeepers (invisible gates opening and doing alchemist powers), is it like dragonball z (idiotic characters continuously hitting people back and fourth though stupid chi), or is it like ... just powers. I honestly don't know, because I noticed that whenever Al or Edward use their alchemy, either a Gatekeepers-circle-like appears ... an object (scryed) is used to replace ... or .. it can be used to create fire and such (dbz i guess). I'm just trying to ask a simple newb question thats all. thx! peace ^___^

- Navi
Old 2004-04-17, 12:08   Link #2
anime_layer
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via ICQ to anime_layer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alchemy
Old 2004-04-17, 16:34   Link #3
Evolution

I never knew the alchemy was real
Old 2004-04-17, 16:51   Link #4
Joe Dalton

Well the site is pretty much true.... Although the lead into gold thing is not completely true
The myth was that the alchemy stone could turn lead into gold that is prolly where they got that from
Anyway alchemy is basicly chemistry only from the perspective of someone in early times when science was still something magical. So the practice was a little different but in concept its basicly like that.
Anyway thats basicly what alchemy is so hope it helped you
Old 2004-04-17, 16:54   Link #5
Evolution

So alchemy was sort of like magic. It could supposedly do the impossible
Old 2004-04-17, 16:59   Link #6
jazz

on some tv program
discovery channel hey say it's sience
Old 2004-04-17, 18:47   Link #7
Xirix

Ugh, Alchemy is a science used 600 years ago and still in usage today, in the times it was first used it was a time when people thought of Science as magic, a famous Alchemist once claimed he made a 1 foot tall artificial human which he called a Humonculus, Alchemy today is the process of removing and changing electrons to alter certain things. But it's not widely used.
Old 2004-04-17, 18:57   Link #8
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Actually, alchemy never really was a science. It was truly just an impossible dream of gaining wealth or power. They created odd concoctions (like what I used to do as a little kid) to try to gain immortality/eternal youth. The Philosopher's Stone was believed to be the almighty source of alchemical power and could change anything within seconds. When science began to be more widely used, alchemy evolved into chemistry.
Old 2004-04-18, 01:27   Link #9
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xirix
Ugh, Alchemy is a science used 600 years ago and still in usage today, in the times it was first used it was a time when people thought of Science as magic, a famous Alchemist once claimed he made a 1 foot tall artificial human which he called a Humonculus, Alchemy today is the process of removing and changing electrons to alter certain things. But it's not widely used.
I agree. Nowadays (if you learn chemistry in school ask your teacher) we have the technology of altering certain elements into other elements. The process is called transmutation, it is also very energy consuming thats why we cant use it that often (or probably never use it).

What i mean energy consuming is like....you need energy equivalent to an atom bomb just to change lead or gold or sumthin. (thats what my teacher told me)
Old 2004-04-18, 07:01   Link #10
Navi en Grey

<BakuretsuNavi

Wow, alchemy is real? ._.

Nice!

- Navi
Old 2004-04-18, 07:38   Link #11
Palani
///_^

Alchemy was the basis of modern science. In the past Alchemy was concerned with converting base metals into gold. From that modern day chemistry has come. So all those nifty reactions you witness during chemisty class are the results of studies by old alchemists/scientists.

A well known real life alchemist is Nicolas Flamel, no stranger to harry potter readers

For those willing to dive further into the subject, enjoy yourself on this site http://www.levity.com/alchemy/images_s.html
Old 2004-04-19, 19:12   Link #12
Navi en Grey

<---BakuretsuNavi--->

Alchemy is real? Wow ... actually, I was asking what anime Full Metal Alchemist was copying in terms of how other anime uses "powers". But the fact that hearing alchemy is real just .. makes me feel like I should try it.Hah!

- Navi
Old 2004-04-19, 19:55   Link #13
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Alchemy is basically chemistry today.
Old 2004-04-20, 03:16   Link #14
Bindibadgi
We'll miss u Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli
I agree. Nowadays (if you learn chemistry in school ask your teacher) we have the technology of altering certain elements into other elements. The process is called transmutation, it is also very energy consuming thats why we cant use it that often (or probably never use it).

What i mean energy consuming is like....you need energy equivalent to an atom bomb just to change lead or gold or sumthin. (thats what my teacher told me)
In a sence, but alchemy didnt understand the theory of thermodynamics and kinetics that wholey govern how molecules react and interact with each other. Its absolutely true (thanks to Einsteins theories that) that energy is a finite thing and can neither be created or destroyed (hence the whole blog at the beginning) but technically Ed could transmutate himself a new arm and leg from a few steaks and a few bones if he could replicate his own DNA. Its when you begin to fuck with souls and life that you loose the lines of everything which what makes the series so great cause these issues are true in real life as well. It wouldnt be much of a series though if Ed n Al had to carry round a big chemistry kit rather than just drawing a circle on the floor or whatever. I wish i could do that in labs, would save time and my fucking everything up. *waves angry fist at thermodynamics*
Old 2004-04-21, 23:19   Link #15
Ducknuckle

Another famous alchemist is Sir Isaac Newton!

And yes, you can change lead into gold, but the amount of gold you would be left with wouldn't nearly be close to the cost of transmutating it.

Hope that makes sense, couldn't find the right way to say it.
Old 2004-04-22, 13:46   Link #16
Dark Epyon
Useless Human

Send a message via MSN to Dark Epyon
Alchemy is a great subject IMO but I don't think it worked at all. I think FMA is the first anime to use such a them but I might be wrong. I might as my teacher if she has any information on how it used to work, if it did at all.
Old 2004-04-22, 14:19   Link #17
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Epyon
Alchemy is a great subject IMO but I don't think it worked at all. I think FMA is the first anime to use such a them but I might be wrong. I might as my teacher if she has any information on how it used to work, if it did at all.
In case you want to know, these is another recent manga about alchemy titled "Armed-Alchemy" (literal Chinese-English translation) by the mangaka who did Rurouni Kenshin, but I'm fairly certain FMA started earlier.
Old 2004-04-22, 14:35   Link #18
Dark Epyon
Useless Human

Send a message via MSN to Dark Epyon
If only I could use Alchemy to make a new soundcard I killed my current one and can't watch FMA or any anime for that matter.
Old 2004-04-22, 14:45   Link #19
IPv6
blastos.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli

energy of an atom bomb to make gold? Dude you need to read up on some serious astronomy. The heaviest iron in space is Copper. The core of the Earth is copper as the sun after its white dwarf stage. It takes a supernova to make anything heavier than copper such as gold. Thus, gold on Earth and any other planet are not man-made, it is done by the death of a hyper-active "A' category star. Those are the one that are super blue and burn extremely fast.

Alchemist is explained at the beginning of every episode thus far, it is the exchange of material in order to achieve something else. People still practice alchemy these days and those are the people that take your money and run ... we call those people crooks.
Old 2004-04-23, 07:40   Link #20
opanime

Send a message via AIM to opanime Send a message via Yahoo to opanime
wow... didnt know the true meaning of alchemy till now Oo
Closed Thread