Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2015-03-18, 15:30   Link #1
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Hard Drive Disk Space Issue - Mysteriously Losing Space

For awhile now, my computer has had a strange problem of losing GBs worth of disk space on a daily basis. This even for some days when I don't download anything, or put any games on the computer, or anything like that.

I couldn't figure out what was causing it, so I started using a program named WinDirStat. The program is pretty good, and was helpful for awhile. It enabled me to find some old files that I thought were removed a long time ago but were still clogging up my hard drive.

However, I've recently ran into a problem that even WinDirStat doesn't seem to be able to help with. The "Unknown" files that I see coming up when I run WinDirStat just keeps getting bigger and bigger in disk space use. And unlike the other file types, WinDirStat does not seem to enable me to delete these.

So does anybody here know what these "Unknown" files might entail? Are they something that's necessary for the computer to run properly, or do they reflect something more worrisome that should be deleted? Is there a way to get rid of them and/or a way to determine what exactly they are?

Any help with any of this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 2015-03-18, 16:37   Link #2
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

From the bit of Googling I've done, WinDirStat will include system restore backups in unknown, and those can get pretty big. How much disk space are you set to allow system restore to use before it will delete the oldest backups?

On my Windows 7 machine the fastest way to find out is:
-Open start menu and type "system"
-select "system" under the control panel tab
-open system protection on the left sidebar
-go to configure for the relevant drive

Also, just to check you do run disk cleanup on occassion?

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-18, 18:30   Link #3
IceHism

Do you have any errors on your computer? They might be crash dumps which are generally very big. Hibernation files can be quite big too.

I think it might be good to check if there are any viruses on your computer right now. Any free antivirus and a malwarebytes scan would be good.

Anyways, look around folders and see which folder takes up the most space.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-19, 09:56   Link #4
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Also, just to check you do run disk cleanup on occassion?
I would suggest doing that on a regular basis since it allows you to remove all but the most recent system restore point (if you select the clean system files option after the first scan which also allow you to clean up redundant update files).
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-19, 18:04   Link #5
Triple_R
*Author

Thanks to 0utf0xZer0, IceHism, and demonix for the help.

I run disk cleanup about once a week, but I might try doing it more often for the next little while.

I also did a virus check late last night, and it did turn up a few viruses. I've had them taken care of, and (knock on wood) the problem has stopped for now. So it may well have been a virus issue.
Old 2015-03-19, 21:54   Link #6
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

What anti-virus were you running previously? Even among the free ones some are better than others.

Old 2015-03-19, 22:07   Link #7
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
What anti-virus were you running previously? Even among the free ones some are better than others.
In terms of free versions....

I was recommended to give x360 a try and think it is pretty good so far. On other machines I am using the comodo suite, which is pretty all encompassing but can use a fair amount of resources, it seems.

Aside from that I like to use malwarebytes and sophos - neither are automatic per se, but if you remember to run them regularly they can catch quite a bit.
Old 2015-03-19, 22:23   Link #8
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
I've been using Avast for awhile now.

Do you consider that a good one, or would you recommend a different one?
Old 2015-03-21, 12:45   Link #9
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

I personally use Avira for its slightly higher detection rates but Avast is solid. I'd probably advise keeping with it for the moment - AV programs are a bit more intrusive than most so I worry a bit more about something going wrong when switching them than other programs.

Old 2015-03-21, 18:25   Link #10
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I also did a virus check late last night, and it did turn up a few viruses. I've had them taken care of, and (knock on wood) the problem has stopped for now. So it may well have been a virus issue.
Virus infections usually aren't so easy to deal with. And antivirus can help you detect an infection but chances are it won't totally eradicate the problems.

Anyway, there are some websites where you can ask for help on these kind of things. They will tell you what to do to make sure the problem was dealt with, and if it's not, they'll help you deal with it.

From starters you can try asking for help here:
https://forums.malwarebytes.org/inde...-removal-help/
Old 2015-03-23, 11:09   Link #11
SlendermanHD
青竜

Did you remove the hiberfil.sys?, if you have a SSD i do actually recommend to do it, if this is not the problem then it could be a virus i guess.
SlendermanHD is offline   Reply With Quote