AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

Old 2006-07-14, 12:56   Link #381
CLAMPshinobi

Send a message via AIM to CLAMPshinobi Send a message via Yahoo to CLAMPshinobi
Post Any cool avatars out there?

I wanted to see some cool, cute, evil, or scary avatars. If possiple please tell me where you got them so i can fix them up!
CLAMPshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-14, 16:49   Link #382
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceart
No, we need an anime series of CLANNAD, preferably 24 episodes, and a 2 episode 50 minute OAV on Planetarian (or maybe a movie on Planetarian) all by Kyoto Animation.
I'm not sure how well Planetarian would work as an anime. An anime would require they show the main character, who we know nothing about, not his name, or even a general idea what he looks like. I think a lot of what makes Planetarian so good is we can completely put ourselves in his place, which can't be done in an anime, unless they manage to do the entire thing first person. If it could be pulled off, I'd love to see it.

As for Clannad, I hope we'll get a series from KyoAni, but if we don't, there's still the movie from toei.
Old 2006-07-14, 16:52   Link #383
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

How could i forget about that, the movie really is gonna be made of gold & win - but still hopefully it'll start the ideas for a series.

Anyway, Kanon in October~ <3
Old 2006-07-17, 06:47   Link #384
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
reply from japan

Yay I got some good AIR goodies and picked up an animedia DVD magazine which includes Kanon poster. I will scan it when I get home.

The new trailer is awesome!!!!

As for Ayu as a little sister it seems that way because of past events of them as children.

I hope it won`t become a debate there is nothing really to debate....
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-17, 07:45   Link #385
bluemist
i am the mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
I'm not sure how well Planetarian would work as an anime. An anime would require they show the main character, who we know nothing about, not his name, or even a general idea what he looks like. I think a lot of what makes Planetarian so good is we can completely put ourselves in his place, which can't be done in an anime, unless they manage to do the entire thing first person. If it could be pulled off, I'd love to see it.
I'd argue that (Planetarian) animators would do almost the same thing with regular bishoujo games and visual novels (giving a face and character to the main guy for the anime conversion), but your suggestion of a first-person anime viewpoint is rather interesting. I dig it.
Old 2006-07-17, 11:57   Link #386
nani
Dreamer
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelsama
How could i forget about that, the movie really is gonna be made of gold & win - but still hopefully it'll start the ideas for a series.
Or perhaps the end of the series?

Spoiler:

Anyway, the manga version of Kanon had begun in this issue of the Dragon Age Pure Comic. Some samples here.

Not really faithful to the original character design, but at least better than the Air manga.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku
animedia DVD magazine which includes Kanon poster
This one?

nani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-18, 09:23   Link #387
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I've checked out the Kanon manga, and it is something i plan to buy in the next few weeks.

& for that poster, have you got it at all in a bigger size? ^^;
Old 2006-07-26, 08:25   Link #388
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.

I downloaded the original Kanon a while ago, but didn't have time to watch it. Is this coming out soon? What will be different in this remake? Is the original's graphics that bad that it requires a remake? Thanks.
TougeSil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-26, 15:37   Link #389
DanielSong39

As for the previous series...

The execution, pacing, and writing are so-so; the graphics are bad, and the ending is the worst.

Safe to say that it pales compared to the game.

The new anime may fix the first two problems - but will likely retain the fundamental flaw.
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-26, 22:14   Link #390
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Well, of course, just to balance that with a contrary point of view... I liked the original anime a fair bit, including the art (which has a very hand-drawn quality that I actually liked) and the ending (which I thought was well-executed). So, as with any opinions, your mileage may vary. The stated purpose of the remake is to give a more complete, accurate retelling of the game, with more/equal focus on the stories of each girl. (Of course, the "real purpose" of the remake is because it'll sell like hotcakes, but that's to be assumed. )
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-27, 14:00   Link #391
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Yep. They got to take advantage of the fans while it's hot. Add in a Bu-Ray version with bonus stuff to make everybody drool and triple dip sort of like what's happening with Air.
Old 2006-07-27, 14:12   Link #392
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well, I'll just comment that the graphics weren't that bad, depends on what you are accustomed to, I had fun watching it. The ending though was meh...
Old 2006-07-27, 20:50   Link #393
Ombrenuit
Day Dreams...

Send a message via AIM to Ombrenuit Send a message via MSN to Ombrenuit
I didn't like the series so much as I watched it for one character: Mai. If there is any anime character I can say I developed a crush for, it was her. Any chance to have that experience again I cannot wait for.
Ombrenuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-28, 01:21   Link #394
DanielSong39

If Yuuichi and Mai got together I wouldn't have minded one bit. Her storyline was one of the better ones in Kanon and they had very interesting chemistry.

Mai, unfortunately, is already "taken". Oh well.
Old 2006-07-28, 09:37   Link #395
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll wait for this new version instead. Cuz one of the things that made me fell in love with AIR is the artwork, so I'll probably enjoy the new version more.
TougeSil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-09, 19:19   Link #396
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It sounds like one is better off just taking the anime Kanon "as is" (not comparing it to the game and someone's preferred ending). I enjoyed the original anime, though the animation and art is a bit dated now and the pacing somewhat erratic. It mixed fantasy into "daily life" in a such a way that was pretty disorienting to me at the time.

But here's another form of cookie to celebrate its remake this fall:

Made a batch of taiyaki tonight....
(a pancake-like batter with that sweet red bean filling seen in mochi or manju, other fillings include custard, peanut butter, chocolate, some novelties)
Old 2006-08-09, 19:54   Link #397
DanielSong39

The thing that bothered me about Kanon was just how poorly Nayuki was treated... the writers could've been less harsh on Nayuki, even if they chose the Ayu ending.

I also didn't care for the animation and felt Ayu was a rather annoying character. I think these flaws are fixable in the new anime, even if the Ayu ending is chosen once again (which looks likely).
Old 2006-08-09, 20:06   Link #398
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I suppose thats is part of what makes Nayuki compelling is that her part is so tragic and that she was noble enough to let him know about Ayu. It would be nice to see her move on to some closure .. but too many of these types of shows just leave the other girls hanging instead of writing them decent finishing exits. as in.. there are other freaking GUYS in town, have them starting dating someone else!~!!!!!
Old 2006-08-09, 20:07   Link #399
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Made a batch of taiyaki tonight....
You've so gotta share. ^__^

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39
I also didn't care for the animation and felt Ayu was a rather annoying character. I think these flaws are fixable in the new anime, even if the Ayu ending is chosen once again (which looks likely).
If you found Ayu to be an annoying character, how are you not going to find the same chatacter annoying in the new anime? o_o
Old 2006-08-09, 20:45   Link #400
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
It would be nice to see her move on to some closure .. but too many of these types of shows just leave the other girls hanging instead of writing them decent finishing exits. as in.. there are other freaking GUYS in town, have them starting dating someone else!~!!!!!
I don't know... I don't think that makes much sense given the type of story this is. The girls in these stories pretty much only exist in the context of the lead, because the story's told from the lead's perspective. Once the guy finds his "true love", the other girls fade away from his in-character/in-story perspective, just as they do in these shows. And really, life's like that too -- people just fade away from your life, even if they don't fade so easily from your memories.

I guess that's the thing about tragic heroines... they tend to arouse a lot more anger among the fanbase, especially in these circles. But the "motif" isn't usually to show them moving on physically (building a new life for themselves, starting new relationships, etc.), it's to show them getting stronger emotionally -- strong enough to accept, strong enough to let go... and the rest is "where we go from here". I guess that motif either appeals to you, or it doesn't. But, personally, I don't consider it a weakness in storytelling, just an emphasis on something other than "happily forever after". It's probably more realistic that way.

And, for what it's worth, I find that some place so much emphasis on whether their chosen girl "wins" or "loses" that they may miss that so much of what makes that character is in her bittersweet/tragic reality. In other words, a character may be more endearing because they don't get the guy and don't have a happy ending. But again, that goes along with it being a motif that may or may not ring a chord for different people. I guess it works for me.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, key, romance, school life, seinen