AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-06-25, 11:06   Link #1261
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Well, how do you like that? They gave us the ending they should have given us, but then took it back and gave us the sitcom ending instead.

Hello Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie...
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 11:32   Link #1262
ookamigirl

Yuuko's body finally buried properly and with dignity.
Teiichi & Yuuko's date was really nice to watch ^^
Those two are really sweet together, shame she's a ghost.
Her fading away didn't help much either, poor Teiichi.
Saying goodbye was really hard... but I guess that's what this whole episode was about.
Luckily, Yuuko found another sweet reason to stay ^-^

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 14:30   Link #1263
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Liked the way they ended it.
Old 2012-06-25, 15:45   Link #1264
KLGChaos
The Shermain

I really liked the ending, personally. I thought Silver Link did an awesome job with the adaptation, following the manga to a point but then giving it a great ending all its own. Bravo.
Old 2012-06-25, 16:02   Link #1265
The Butcher
Butchered Taste

I loved the ending, even though they played with my emotions.

Seems like Yuuko would come back anyway.

Nonetheless a great anime.
The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 17:17   Link #1266
viperdk1
The Colour of Magic

Saw that last bit coming, funnily enough. The moment Teiichi claimed Okonogi was the one to tidy things up in the room, for some reason, gave it away (not the "Open me and I'll curse you!" box part at the end, bizarrely ) - and despite 'CHOIR JAIL' being played in the background...yeah

When I read the blurb of TOxA back in March, I figured it would be a serious drama of how Yuuko regained her memories and moved on - it partly was, but in between came some of the funniest moments I will ever see from a ghost story anime (which mostly involved Yuuko doing her very best to glomp Teiichi as hard as she could)

Seemed to have the right mix of humour, drama and horror to keep things going right to the end - and the last episode in itself felt just right in terms of doing those last things before finally saying goodbye (though admittedly, as nice as it was to see, the last few minutes seemed like a cop-out to keep the TeiichixYuuko fanboys happy ).

For that (and the series as a whole)...9/10. Not perfect, but still a high quality viewing experience
viperdk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 17:18   Link #1267
Tiberium Wolf

Awesome ending.

Man... Fate Zero ending and this one in the same season. Seems like the world just ended.
Old 2012-06-25, 17:28   Link #1268
Gohan78
Awakened One

Just watched the final episode.
Meh, what a disappointment. The writers didn't have the courage to let the series finish with its naturally sad conclusion.
All that emotional build-up for Yuuko's disappearance was nullified for the sake of a nonsensical happy end.
Stay together forever, you say? And what happens when Teiichi graduates from middle school, huh? Yeah, let's not think about that...
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Gohan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 17:34   Link #1269
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
Stay together forever, you say? And what happens when Teiichi graduates from middle school, huh? Yeah, let's not think about that...
I was under the impression that she's haunting him now; meaning she should be able to follow him around wherever he goes. But let's say she isn't, then all he has to do is become a teacher at that school. *shrug*

Last edited by Ray; 2012-06-25 at 17:53.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 17:47   Link #1270
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Loved the ending. Or I should say endings. We got one serious ending, with all the proper emotions. Then a funny, happy little ending that I enjoyed, too. Sakamichi, Hyouka, and this are my three favorite shows of the season.

And maybe now she really is haunting him, as opposed to the school, and can follow him outside the gates. Not that I'm expecting a sequel.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 17:48   Link #1271
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

After watching it again, I will say that it was a beautiful ending. It is a good happy ending, better than the crap Evol gave us, and probably better than what Sankarea is gonna end up giving us. I wonder how the manga is going to end?
KleenexGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 18:28   Link #1272
GrimJack

Quote:
He just goes to the High School on the same property... don't know if they actually made this clear in the anime though but it is a combined Middle School and High School, though in different buildings

The only thing that really bothered me thinking back was the pool on the roof...

Maybe's map of the school from chapter 2 mentions two pools the outdoor one which they used in episode 3 and an indoor pool in the new gymnasium.

a minor complaint true but noticeable...
Old 2012-06-25, 19:14   Link #1273
bumbayker

Quote:
Just watched the final episode.
Meh, what a disappointment. The writers didn't have the courage to let the series finish with its naturally sad conclusion.
All that emotional build-up for Yuuko's disappearance was nullified for the sake of a nonsensical happy end.
And having a happy ending doesn't come naturally for this anime? Oh please. Just because there was an initial emotional build-up doesn't necessarily have to conclude with a sad end. Even when there was an emotional build-up I was already expecting Yuuko to return. Not to say that a bittersweet end can't work but the theme of the series is basically a romance-comedy with horror and drama elements. But as an anime original ending, Teiichi and Yuuko happily together again is as good as its going to get.

And when Teiichi graduates from middle school he'll study in their high school. The school is that big FYI. And even when he graduates from high school Yuuko will still be around him since she's haunting Teiichi and not the school.

Last edited by bumbayker; 2012-06-25 at 20:04.
bumbayker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 19:52   Link #1274
ACE2001
Anime Watchman

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
Just watched the last episode...I liked it but didn't like it at the same time. To me, I thought it was a cop out that Yuuko came back. It cheapened the effect of her actually saying good by to Teiichi. I guess it was just hard for me to separate the reality from the fiction, which is what I think some viewers may have a hard time doing.

On the other hand, it was good to see them both together again. Definitely brings a warm feeling in your heart as their love for one another is pure and genuine. I'm sort of curious just how long will this last.

All in all, I enjoyed the series and glad I took a chance on watching this. I think I'll go ahead and read the manga and see how things will turn out from there.
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 20:03   Link #1275
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Well what could they do, the Manga just reach this scenario. The director had to improvise and I like it. Overall, I am happy it turned out this way. There been a lot of disappointments I seen when concerning Manga turning into an animation. This isn't one of them and I am glad.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 20:56   Link #1276
Domonkazu

I don't what to say about the end, it would be lot better if it end with sad ending, or salvation after few years, like fast forward 2-3 years before they reunited, it feels simply too forced at this point.

anyway whats the song played during the book scene
Domonkazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 20:58   Link #1277
Azure King
Snr Spammer

Good final epi but i still don't get how she returned, her returning regret was a last kiss but when she did return and kiss him... shouldn't she disppear?

it just doesn't feel right..
Azure King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 21:07   Link #1278
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure King View Post
Good final epi but i still don't get how she returned, her returning regret was a last kiss but when she did return and kiss him... shouldn't she disppear?
It wasn't that she wanted a last kiss, it's that that last kiss became the seed of her regret (it broke her resolve). You'll remember that she had steeled herself from the beginning that she had to say goodbye, and that's why she was disappearing (because she had decided it was time to go -- it's not like it's some rule). And when Teiichi finally convinced her to let him stay with her to the end (at the pool), she was crying and said "you'll make me lose my resolve". This was foreshadowing for the ending. Everything was going well again as they said their last goodbyes (she steeled herself again), but then when they shared her last kiss, it broke her resolve again. She couldn't enter heaven because that kiss made her regret leaving Teiichi behind. And so, that's why she came back, this time presumably not bound to the school (since her body, along with the truth, had long since been discovered and buried), but bound more to Teiichi, the source of her regret.

(Edit 2: I should say the way she's literally bound is obviously not clear; she may still be bound to the school even though Teiichi "brought he back". She's probably the one who cleaned-up the clubroom, because she had to have set the "trap" for Teiichi to open. So she would have been there when he wasn't around, which means she's not so bound to him that she can't leave his side or has to go with him everywhere. This part's not clear, but perhaps they'll show more in Episode 13 on the BDs, if it's in fact a follow-up episode.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domonkazu View Post
I don't think it's known yet (edit: when it'll appear). It should be shipping on one of the CDs that will be included with the Japanese Blu-Ray release, I would think.

Edit: By the way, just noticed: during the credits, just before Yuuko gives Teiichi the kiss on the floor, the skull that falls off the desk is blushing.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-06-25 at 22:30.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 21:15   Link #1279
Somnus
Eh?

For those wondering what a future relationship between Teiichi and Yuuko would look like, I suggest reading a manga called "My lovely ghost Kana". I could easily see something like that happening in this case. Fair warning though, it's not an H-manga but sexual acts do occur (more along the lines of what you would see in "Koi wo Suru no ga Shigoto desu"). It's a great romance read either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domonkazu View Post

For those wondering about the insert song, all I know is that it's called Requiem by Nao Hiiragi. I haven't been able to find any info on a single release though. To sate my craving for it I ripped what I could from a live action PV someone posted a while back (might've been this thread, can't remember). Still dying for the whole thing though!

EDIT: Also, after watching the final episode for the nth time, I can't get over how perfect Teiichi's desperation was portrayed when Yuuko could no longer hold the pencil and he'd thought she already disappeared.

Last edited by Somnus; 2012-06-25 at 21:52.
Somnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 22:20   Link #1280
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Truthfully, I feel like it would be the sad ending that would feel like the cop-out. After some of the best romantic moments I've seen in anime (in ep. 8 and 11 in particular, of course), and given the overall lighthearted nature of the series, giving us the "yeah, yeah, problem resolved, ghost moves on to the afterlife and kid heads towards an ordinary life" ending would have seemed like the writers felt shackled to the tropes of the ghost story. Basically, I will now be buying this series (and very likely re-watching it with my wife), where if it had ended bittersweetly I'd have said, "Well, that was entertaining" and walked away.

Mind you, I'm not saying that I don't feel a bit trolled by the last-second swerve (though, as relentlessflame pointed out, it's not like it went entirely unforeshadowed) and how it jerked my emotions around, but I'm glad it ended where it did. I'm also glad that it actually had the guts to, well, end, as opposed to having some ambiguous cop-out (like if Teiichi had walked into the room, seen what he'd seen, opened the box, and they'd ended there) like way too much anime does.
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
horror, romance, shounen, slice-of-unlife, supernatural