AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-02-28, 10:22   Link #1681
Vito
Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherzo09 View Post
I don't feel comfortable spending 300+ dollars on this series though. I would pay 50 or 60 dollars for a complete English set.
Oh ffs just be grateful you don't pay tax and import duties when you import.
Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-28, 13:17   Link #1682
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
So my guess is Kitano survives the trip and goes to the Academy to become an officer and get his transfere to the Navigation Division rather than Tactical Division. It would explain why not only is the bridge crew comfortable with him in New Voyages, but also why he didn't seem awed by Yamato like the rest of the freshly graduated cadets. Also why Shiima and Kodai would be willing to let him do their jobs at least for part of the trip. Never did find out what (officially) happened to him after that.
Kitano's bio on the official Y2199 website states that he aspired to be a Navigator/Pilot, but his aptitude tests placed him in Tactical.

Quote:
Miki is entire new. Sixth named female in Yamato's crew to have a listing. Assuming Yamato has three shift rotation (unknown if true at this time), we have the three shift for radar covered (Yuki, Miki, and Yuria). Why the radar has all female staff for the bridge potition is unknown. My guess is excellent multi-tasking skills are required to handle the job.
Her bio on the official Y2199 website mentions that she's pals with Kitano (since they share the same bridge shifts, I imagine).
Old 2013-02-28, 14:58   Link #1683
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

With the Chapter 5 PV due to be out probably next week (they plan to have at least a 60 second version ready for the theater release of Gundam Unicorn #6 this weekend), I want to speculation on the limited amount of data we have on the next episodes.

Spoiler for Chapter 5+:

EDIT:

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 is confirmed to start on April 7th at 5pm on MBS - TBS stations.

http://yamato2199.net/news.html#tv_first0407

April 7th will be the 68th anniversary of the sinking of the Imperal Japanese Navy's Battleship Yamato in 1945 by the US Navy off Okinawa.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2013-03-01 at 00:06.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-01, 04:54   Link #1684
Scherzo09

Do you think the UN's been rebuilding its space forces in the time that the Yamato's been away?
Scherzo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-01, 13:19   Link #1685
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

If they have the resources to do so without casuing undo suffering of the civilian population, maybe.

Though they might be building evacuaton ships instead of warships. Though if Yamato was to be an escape ship originally, evacuation and warship might be one and the same thing. However it took the planet about a year to build one Space Battleship Yamato, and still needed imported parts form Iscandar as well as a massive jump start from the entire planetary grid. And while they are not under constant attack from Gamilas anymore since what forces would normally be in the system are either destroyed or chasing Yamato, Earth is not exactly in good shape.

If they can somehow produce their own native Wave Motion Cores, or a Wave Motion Engine that doesn't need one of Iscandarian design, than they could probabaly produce some vessels. Otherwise they could build conventional vessels now that they are not being attacked constantly, but none of these will be able to escape the Solar System without sleeper units. Considering how old the Kirishima and the Earth Cruisers were, one has to wonder if the Earth had lost all their major shipyards and were not really producing their standard warships anymore.

We might find out when Yamato returns to Earth.
Old 2013-03-01, 13:45   Link #1686
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Do you think the UN's been rebuilding its space forces in the time that the Yamato's been away?
It's going to be rather difficult to try to build up an evacuation fleet while also trying to survive pressure from the Gamilan planet bombing.

The problem here is that to make ships for X number of evacuees, you need 10x as many people to dutifully continue running the industrial machines even though it'd mean their death if Yamato's mission fails. This is going to make things problamatic.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-01, 14:23   Link #1687
Scherzo09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
It's going to be rather difficult to try to build up an evacuation fleet while also trying to survive pressure from the Gamilan planet bombing.

The planet bombing was ended a week into the Yamato's voyage though.
Scherzo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-01, 14:33   Link #1688
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Or whenever the last bomb launched from Pluto finally landed. Though given the speed it seemed to be going, the last bomb should have impacted Earth by now. Assuming that Kirishama couldn't take it out or divert it with its bow cannon.

One assumes that any remaining Gamilas Forces in the Sol System were destroyed or fled following the destruction of Pluto Base. Meaning any patrolling ships or fighters.

When Yamato leaves the system, there is one Earth Battleship left to defend Earth, Kirishima. While it is possible the rest of the world is building escape ships, or warships to replace those lost in the war, or repairing other vessels that managed to make it back to Earth in previous battles (or were salvaged later), we only know of the one battleship.

However, because the Gamilas are focused on Yamato, that one battleship will still be there when Yamato gets home.

It would be next to amazing to see a few new Earth ships at the end of the series, but I can wait for a sequel for that.
Old 2013-03-01, 14:53   Link #1689
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
The planet bombing was ended a week into the Yamato's voyage though.
Given the whole time limit for the voyage, the implication is that radiation is still seeping downwards to human habitats. Too much damage has been done to earth for merely stopping the bombing to undo the declining effects.
Old 2013-03-02, 01:41   Link #1690
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The breathing room they do have is that they can go to the surface or to other planets in the system without too much fear of being attacked by Gamilas fighters or warships. They don't have to hide projects from the Gamilas either since they don't seem to be paying attention to Earth anymore now that Yamato has broken through their lines and directly or indirectly destroyed two fleets and a few bases, plus defeated the Emperor in front of his staff (on what I gather is his birthday no less).

So if Earth wanted to do anything, it would have pretty much have no opposition aside of course for the planet dying and all that.
Old 2013-03-02, 06:00   Link #1691
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
So if Earth wanted to do anything, it would have pretty much have no opposition aside of course for the planet dying and all that.
That's a pretty big hangup though.
Old 2013-03-02, 12:56   Link #1692
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It is a problem, but without the Gamilas over their heads, they can go back to mining resources and salvaging Earth and Gamilas property. They can get their non-Earth industries back online, allowing some of the population to escape Earth for a time, revamp the war torn economy, and start building escape ships and/or rebuilding the fleet in case Yamato fails. Or even if Yamato returns, there is the chance the Gamilas could come back (since it isn't established what the Gamilas homeworld is as far as the humans are concerned).
Old 2013-03-02, 23:56   Link #1693
Vito
Asshole.

Haven't seen disc4 yet but the scans for the booklet showed up, any interest in that? Drop me a PM I guess.
Old 2013-03-05, 03:58   Link #1694
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Has someone here purchased the Blu-rays for this series starting recently off places like Amazon? For instance have purchased a copy of Chapter 1 several months after it was originally released?

Did it still come with an art sleeve around it? (with Yamato in front of Earth shooting at some Gamilas ships on the back cover (under the episode information).

I'm looking for confirmation on that because it comes up from time to time on if there is a difference between first printing and later printing of Yamato 2199 (I do not mean the Limited Editon ones from the theaters...those come with an extra booklet and you won't generally find them).
Old 2013-03-05, 04:36   Link #1695
August138

Only the first pressings of the general release copies have the slipcases.
Old 2013-03-05, 05:07   Link #1696
macdawson

Quote:
Has someone here purchased the Blu-rays for this series starting recently off places like Amazon? For instance have purchased a copy of Chapter 1 several months after it was originally released?

Did it still come with an art sleeve around it? (with Yamato in front of Earth shooting at some Gamilas ships on the back cover (under the episode information).

I'm looking for confirmation on that because it comes up from time to time on if there is a difference between first printing and later printing of Yamato 2199 (I do not mean the Limited Editon ones from the theaters...those come with an extra booklet and you won't generally find them).
As August said, only the first pressings come with the art slipcover. As for the Limited Edition ones, they're fairly easy to find but at highly inflated prices. I managed to buy one at near retail price (9000 yen at the theatres) and scratch my itch of getting my hands in one of those storyboard booklets, but i'll leave the rest alone. I also got a exclusive postcard of the Cosmo Falcons flying by the Yamato, also painted by Naoyuki Katoh, the artist who paints te illustrations for those slipcovers. I've asked this at my Fb page but it turns out there were actually 2 postcards inside the plastic case, the other being the one with the Yukikaze and Kirishima, released at the time of volume one. Was this standard with volume 2 Limited Editions?

macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-05, 07:26   Link #1697
Vito
Asshole.

I think Amazon even removed the slipcase pictures for the previous volumes.
Old 2013-03-05, 12:35   Link #1698
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Ah okay. So the art sleeve was a first press incentive for the collector types?
Old 2013-03-06, 02:21   Link #1699
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

Yes, I asked a similar question last month since I picked volume three very late...and Amazon Japan had run out of first printings.

I had to get my copy from CD Japan which only had two first printings left.
Old 2013-03-06, 14:46   Link #1700
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Okay there is some new stuff out from Japanesee hobby magazines. The question is, what is the purpose (and name) of the Gamilas ship in the upper left corner of the page?

Source: Hobby Japan (Apreil 2013) via:
http://www.facebook.com/CosmoDNA#!/p...type=1&theater

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato