AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Old 2014-09-25, 07:47   Link #541
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPearse View Post
That looks terrible, her body proportions are all off. Especially her forehead, hair, that waist line and those thick bugs bunny legs.
Her head is even almost as big as her torso
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-25, 08:18   Link #542
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

^ Not different from this :

Levani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-25, 08:30   Link #543
GrAVit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levani View Post

Yeah, I'm completely fine with this one, to be honest. It looks like the artist's combining elements from the vanilla and then the Alchemist versions.
The short tie and sleeves are more like from the vanilla, meanwhile the skirt and expression seem to be from Alchemist.
It's not like I have a problem with it. There really is no "true originality", every artist's work is inspired by a prior artist's work, either by being aware of it or not.
This is noticeable, for example, in video games.
GrAVit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-25, 09:00   Link #544
chaos_alfa

Quote:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
That is true. It was just something which I only noticed because xPearse brought my attention to it.
Sometimes when you get used to something you don't notice the obvious anymore.

I get the impression that not everybody at MangaGamer has the same idea with how the new version of Higurashi is going to get released.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by evospace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos_Alfa
And also offer the option for using the original sprites?
The new sprite version and the old sprites version will be separate products, due to the engine port and our release format, but the old sprite version will be updated with the retranslation as well.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by evospace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos_Alfa
And also offer the option for using the original sprites?
The new sprite version and the old sprites version will be separate products, due to the engine port and our release format, but the old sprite version will be updated with the retranslation as well.
From what I have read it seems like the Doddler has added the option to be able to use the old sprites in the upcoming Steam version of Higurashi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by https://twitter.com/The_Doddler/status/502235743574437890
‏@Chaos_Alfa Aug 21
@The_Doddler Is the plan still to offer the player the option to switch to the original sprites if they want to?

Doddler
‏@The_Doddler
@Chaos_Alfa Yeah that should still be the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://ask.fm/The_Doddler/answer/116585158385
Will higurashi have original+new or original+ps2+new sprites?
It will be original + new, we weren't able to get rights to use the ps2 assets, which is the main reason we contracted new character art.
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://ask.fm/The_Doddler/answer/116719362289
What was the particular reason for making Higurashi's character sprites 1280x960 vs, say, 1600x1200 or 1024x768?
I chose 1280x960 because the sprites actually wouldn't scale down well to 640x480 (the native resolution for the game) unless the textures were a multiple of two (1280x960 is 2x the base resolution). The reason is I can use mipmaps to downscale somewhat cleanly, but those are always 1/2 the original texture size. I actually started with 1920x1440 (3x res) but they looked pretty bad scaled to lower resolutions, and the source art wasn't high enough res to go higher. Supporting 640x480 is still important because some users will want to use the original art rather than our updated art so I'm still targeting it as the 'base' resolution.
If a mistake has been made I hope the Steam version can keep the option.
Source: http://forums.mangagamer.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=363

Last edited by chaos_alfa; 2014-09-25 at 10:05.
Old 2014-09-25, 09:56   Link #545
TheGuraGuraMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrAVit View Post
It's not like I have a problem with it. There really is no "true originality", every artist's work is inspired by a prior artist's work, either by being aware of it or not.
This is noticeable, for example, in video games.
That's bullshit. There is a difference between the Alchemist one who added new elements and the Steam one who just copy pasted both versions, except if you count those stupid ecchi adds as originality.

Shouldn't that be counted as plagiarism actually ?

Also, finished the soda comparison :
TheGuraGuraMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-25, 10:04   Link #546
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuraGuraMan View Post
That's bullshit. There is a difference between the Alchemist one who added new elements and the Steam one who just copy pasted both versions, except if you count those stupid ecchi adds as originality.

Also, finished the soda comparison :
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
I think you mean usoda
Old 2014-09-25, 10:06   Link #547
TheGuraGuraMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
I think you mean usoda

And that's what you call a pun.
Old 2014-09-25, 10:09   Link #548
chaos_alfa

Quote:
And that's what you call a pun.
My English comprehension doesn't seem to be high enough to understand that pun
Old 2014-09-25, 10:09   Link #549
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

Quote:
Biggest pile of crap I've seen all day. That's really illogical.

First we complain about the changes that were made, then we complain because the artist tries to mimic PS2 art and base his art around it. Can MangaGamer ever win? I don't think so. I feel sorry for those guys.
Old 2014-09-25, 10:14   Link #550
TheGuraGuraMan

Quote:
Biggest pile of crap I've seen all day. That's really illogical.

First we complain about the changes that were made, then we complain because the artist tries to mimic PS2 art and base his art around it. Can MangaGamer ever win? I don't think so. I feel sorry for those guys.
The guy is literally copying the Matsuri sprites, look at Oishi, Chie and many others, that's crazy obvious, and he even manage to be stupid and copy the errors fixed in Kizuna, like Rena's hairs, or Satoko's short.
Mangagamer doesn't have any right on Alchemist's sprites, their sprites should be just based on the Vanilla, that's all. Yes, I think it could be considered as plagiarism to a certain extent.

Quote:
My English comprehension doesn't seem to be high enough to understand that pun.
usoda > soda

Old 2014-09-25, 10:20   Link #551
GrAVit

Quote:

Ok, then what *should* it look like? That's the iconic Rena uso da face we know, and I'm happy with how the artist implemented it. The others had changes that we didn't like, and now you're complaining that there aren't enough changes? C'mon, give me a break.
GrAVit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-25, 10:21   Link #552
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

Gura, I can't believe you are accusing MangaGamer of plagiarism. I'm really sorry but that doesn't make any logical sense at all.

Even if he is using Alchemist sprites as a base it doesn't make it plagiarism. Plagiarism is more about intentionally concealing the original inspiration and pretending it's an entirely original creation. I don't think there's any claim being made of that, some of these are clearly based off what the PS2 sprites look like and that can be freely admitted, the only reason that might be bad is if it's copyright infringement (not plagiarism), but it's not forbidden copyright-wise to use the PS2 sprites for inspiration or reference just because they don't have a right to use them directly. He is producing an entirely new sprite not tracing the old one, there is no copyright infringement here

Taking an inspiration isn't "copying" and "ripping off". What's wrong with the artist making it look like the PS2 sprites, last time I checked you were whining about how different the new sprites looked and how you couldn't acknowledge these changes.

I can't believe this. This is hating for the sake of hating. You are so attached to the PS2/DS sprites that you nitpicked every tiny problem in the new sprites and once you were done with that, you started seeing some bullshit to complain more.
Old 2014-09-25, 10:22   Link #553
TheGuraGuraMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrAVit View Post
Ok, then what *should* it look like? That's the iconic Rena uso da face we know, and I'm happy with how the artist implemented it. The others had changes that we didn't like, and now you're complaining that there aren't enough changes? C'mon, give me a break.

I'm saying that it should simply be way more based on the vanilla, as usual, it's a ripoff of the Matsuri version, tough this one is still okay.
Old 2014-09-25, 10:25   Link #554
chaos_alfa

Quote:
usoda > soda

Ah, you just meant the sound. I though you meant there was another meaning the word soda had which was appropriate for the situation.
Old 2014-09-25, 10:31   Link #555
TheGuraGuraMan

Quote:
Gura, I can't believe you are accusing MangaGamer of plagiarism. I'm really sorry but that doesn't make any logical sense at all.

Taking an inspiration isn't "copying" and "ripping off". What's wrong with the artist making it look like the PS2 sprites, last time I checked you were whining about how different the new sprites looked and how you couldn't acknowledge these changes.

I can't believe this. This is hating for the sake of hating. You are so attached to the PS2/DS sprites that you nitpicked every tiny problem in the new sprites and once you were done with that, you started seeing some bullshit to complain more.

I like the Alchemist art, but was should have been interesting with those new sprites is that they are based on the vanilla. There are many things I like in the vanilla which aren't in Alchemist sprites, and I was obviously waiting for it to set them, but no. Here it more feels like an Alchemist ripoff for an hentai version, sorry to say that. I'm mostly keeping an eye on them because new sprites for higurashi doesn't come out every days.

And the guys is clearly copying. If you don't believe me, just look at oishi's eyes and mouths.
https://twitter.com/TheGuraGuraMan/s...479488/photo/1

Quote:
that you nitpicked every tiny problem in the new sprites
Yes, because those aren't tiny problems for a lot of them, you consider Chies scrotch and Takano's breasts as a little problem ?
Some aren't necessary, but that was just me testing stuff because I wanted to.
Old 2014-09-25, 10:39   Link #556
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

You know what, I'm done with your bullshit about these new sprites. I'm tired of going back and forth. Enjoy whatever you prefer.
Old 2014-09-25, 11:14   Link #557
xPearse

Quote:
You know what, I'm done with your bullshit about these new sprites. I'm tired of going back and forth. Enjoy whatever you prefer.
But you do understand that the artist is using the PS2/DS sprites as reference and re-drawing them "almost exactly" the same except in his own art style. I know that's not plagiarism but it is really lazy, I wanted to steam sprites to be "new" and not simply an edit. By the way, did Manga gamer even give him guidelines or just pay him and he grabbed the nearest reference he could find, that could explain why they are so similar.
xPearse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-25, 12:35   Link #558
TheGuraGuraMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPearse View Post
But you do understand that the artist is using the PS2/DS
No, not even the ds remadep srites, just the ps2 ones. So besides copying, he's also using a wrong reference, make the same "errors" as Alchemist did AND add more stupid stuff. Besides not even adding things like Satoko towel's bruises to even draw her with perfect anime skins.

If it's just to get an hentai copy of Alchemist sprites, would rather stay with the Kizuna ones. I'll say it again, having only vanilla based MG sprites would have been better to begin with. And not having a hentai artist too to being with.

Tough they do have some good points, but they're usually butchered by details that make the whole thing bad or weird.
Old 2014-09-25, 12:39   Link #559
Lawfer

Apparently there is a reason why the artist mangagamer hired to do the sprites is basing his work so much on Alchemist characters version, its that Mangagamer tried to get the Playstation 2 version assets, but didnt manage to get them:

http://ask.fm/The_Doddler/answer/116585158385

Quote:
Question: Will higurashi have original+new or original+ps2+new sprites?

Amswer: It will be original + new, we weren't able to get rights to use the ps2 assets, which is the main reason we contracted new character art.
Lawfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-25, 12:48   Link #560
TheGuraGuraMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawfer View Post
Apparently there is a reason why the artist mangagamer hired to do the sprites is basing his work so much on Alchemist characters version, its that Mangagamer tried to get the Playstation 2 version assets, but didnt manage to get them:

http://ask.fm/The_Doddler/answer/116585158385

Already saw this, that's not an excuse neither is it the problem.

And frankly, talking about the "playstation 2" when they should be asking for the "ds" data probably means they don't even know what they're talking about, and that they didn't even try to get them and use this as an excuse for people asking. After all, it's way more easy and less expensive to hire an artist, adding the "he can make them more sexy, so should sell more !"