AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-04-10, 05:14   Link #41
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
For me I don't think it felt "off" necessarily as much as he felt like he was deliberately speaking in a different way - it could indeed be a dialect thing, or perhaps even a decision of the anime staff to convey a quality of his character they felt important to emphasize?

Hard to say. But I did not feel as if it was "disharmonious" with what I felt the character was like from the source.

It is quite different in the way of young male characters often speaking in anime, though. I wonder if it a feeling of oddness in relation to that for some people?
Old 2016-04-10, 05:18   Link #42
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

To me, he felt "restrained" as a form of courtesy for Makoto. She is a visitor, after all.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-10, 05:24   Link #43
EroKing

Free sig for anyone interested.

Last edited by EroKing; 2023-11-24 at 06:35.
EroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-10, 05:32   Link #44
Tenzen12

Really nice first episode. It's rare find anime where all characters are adorable and likeble.
Old 2016-04-10, 06:04   Link #45
Blaat

Sheesh teaching standards at the Japanese wizarding school must have fallen a great deal if Makoto just ignores the Statute of Secrecy like that and pulls out a Mandrake with no earplugs. Also it looks like Chinatsu is a witch, she could hear the Mandrake scream while her Muggle friend didn't.

Anyway I like it but the biggest complaints I have so far is that the comedic timing is terrible with the punch line at the end of the long silences falling flat. And Kei's voice actor is way too wooden, it's painful to listen to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
is the kids' mother... alive?
I think she is, I believe she's the Kei look-a-like with glasses you see during Mandrake scream scene and she appears again without glasses in the ending walking behind Kei and Chinatsu next to a guy (who must be the father?).
Before that, like you, I thought she was dead and all of this talk about Mom was some sort of coping mechanism where the characters talk to the picture of the deceased mother or the household shrine.
Old 2016-04-10, 06:17   Link #46
AntonKutovoi

Yeah, I thought Kei's VA (Shinsuke Sugawara) sounded pretty wooden. Well, it's first named character (and fourth role overall). Maybe he'll grow in time. What is weird is that there's no info about him whatsoever. He doesn't seem to be the part of any agency, and neither he have official site, web-diary or twitter account.

But overall I liked it and mandrake was both creepy and cute and the same time.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-10, 06:26   Link #47
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

They are missing out on a good piece of merchandise if they don't make plush dolls of the mandrake. XD
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-10, 06:40   Link #48
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
For me I don't think it felt "off" necessarily as much as he felt like he was deliberately speaking in a different way - it could indeed be a dialect thing
It's a dialect thing. The series is set in Tohoku, well to the north of Tokyo and out in the country. They grow apples there.
Old 2016-04-10, 07:11   Link #49
Cerilla

Definitely better comfy SoL than Kumamiko. There is beauty in FW's simplicity.

Gotta echo everyone else on the Male MC's VA. He sounds flat, hope he will improve as he goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Sheesh teaching standards at the Japanese wizarding school must have fallen a great deal if Makoto just ignores the Statute of Secrecy like that and pulls out a Mandrake with no earplugs. Also it looks like Chinatsu is a witch, she could hear the Mandrake scream while her Muggle friend didn't.
What is even more baffling is that she just fly on a broom without single care, any witness be damned. But I'll just attribute that as Makoto being Makoto.
Old 2016-04-10, 07:48   Link #50
Dysprosium
Banned

Apart from the MC's rather "weird" voice, the episode was perfect. Very nice and comfy SoL theme to it; perfect for a lazy, Sunday evening.

This season just keeps getting better and better.
Dysprosium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-10, 07:49   Link #51
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Tohoku, where the show is set, is more or less considered the boonies as far as Tokyoites are concerned. It's why whenever characters from the region try really REALLY hard to hide their accent, as it would mark them as a bumpkin (see Ogiue from classic Genshiken , or even Konoha from Mikakunin).

Kumamiko is ALSO set in Tohoku, if I remember right, but they dispensed with the accent in that case.
Old 2016-04-10, 08:51   Link #52
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Tohoku, where the show is set, is more or less considered the boonies as far as Tokyoites are concerned.
I did like Makoto's understated reaction to Chinatsu saying Yokohama is part of Tokyo. Them's killing words...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Kumamiko is ALSO set in Tohoku, if I remember right, but they dispensed with the accent in that case.
Natsu is a very cosmopolitan bear and Macchin desperately wants to be a big-city girl so of course they won't speak in the local dialect.
Old 2016-04-10, 11:29   Link #53
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was lovely. This is the kind of slice of life show that's right up my alley. One with lush visuals, relaxing music, and likable characters. It seems the witch angle is going to be played comically, but we'll see.

I was surprised when Makoto casually started flying on a broom and thought "oh, I guess the existence of witches is common knowledge in this world" but it turned out she's just an air-head.
Old 2016-04-10, 13:06   Link #54
Wandering Soul

This seems like it will be a nice and comfy show to watch when trying to relax on Sunday.

Makoto is really bad at hiding the fact that she's a witch. First she goes around flying on a broom in front of other people and then she pulls out the mandrake without any concern as to who could hear it. She is definitely an airhead.
Old 2016-04-10, 13:11   Link #55
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
This seems like it will be a nice and comfy show to watch when trying to relax on Sunday.

Makoto is really bad at hiding the fact that she's a witch. First she goes around flying on a broom in front of other people and then she pulls out the mandrake without any concern as to who could hear it. She is definitely an airhead.
Yeah. Living in the mountains practicing witchcraft will do that to you.
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-10, 13:20   Link #56
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Liked this even more than the manga. Nicely done. Makoto is great. I loved it when she finally realized she was not supposed to be revealing that she was a witch: stated but not overstated.

Makoto is Shinoda Minami's first named role.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-10, 15:16   Link #57
relentlessflame

*Administrator

It's only been one episode so let's not get into arguments about who is/isn't the main character until the show itself has more time to develop the plot (even if you think it's already obvious). As is always the case on this site, source readers must remain absolutely silent on all future developments in anime threads.
Old 2016-04-10, 15:51   Link #58
nojay
Scanlator

You can tell it's not America when a high-school kid goes out on his bike to pick up a deck of beer at the local alcohol store and one of his classmates is running the place.
Old 2016-04-10, 17:57   Link #59
Dop
Mmmm....

Yeah, based on what i'd read about this show i had real hopes for it. I think my hopes were realised!

I really liked this show, the atmosphere seemed just right, and the characters were all likeable.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-10, 18:53   Link #60
grecefar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
reminds me a bit of Kiki's Delivery Service if it took place years later into the modern era
exactly my thoughts.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slice of life