Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-08-05, 21:14   Link #21
SurferX

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptenergy
- A&A translate the techniques into English, like "Replication Technique." I just think that's a bad idea. IMHO it's better to leave some Japanese in the anime. (If they really wanted to, they could rename all the characters, like Naruto -> Nathan and Jiraiya -> Jerry and Tsunade to Teresa, but... ugh. you get the point).
But what's the point of subbing something if you're not going to translate it? You're already listening to the Japanese voices, you can hear what they are saying in Japanese.

If you're that much into Japanese then I would think you would actually be listening to the dialogue instead of relying on the subs to give it to you. The subs are there to translate, not spoonfeed you the random things you may think are cooler sounding in Japanese when you can already plainly hear them.

And I don't believe it has any relation at all to the name examples you gave, because those are complete changes, not translations. If something simply can't be translated (like a person's name) then obviously it should remain original in the sub.
Old 2004-08-05, 21:27   Link #22
lotus_lee

AH and S-O are really improving but for backing up, I still use ANBU-AonE, whenever they come out! I try and download the RAW first thing when it comes out and watch it, if I get a good BT speed. If not, then I just wait until the next day when hopefully, someone will sub it. Then I just wait for ANBU-AonE, download theirs and then delete the other versions.

Of course, I can just about know what is going on though without the subtitles.
Old 2004-08-06, 00:17   Link #23
BakaSan
Totemo Baka

Send a message via AIM to BakaSan
Amazing how fast people are forgotten. While I haven't been keeping up with the latest "speed" subbers translations they at least have been releasing as I did, within 24 hours, so I'm happy. Anyways, back to my vacation... See ya guys when the movies out!

hmmm
Old 2004-08-06, 00:35   Link #24
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaSan
Amazing how fast people are forgotten. While I haven't been keeping up with the latest "speed" subbers translations they at least have been releasing as I did, within 24 hours, so I'm happy. Anyways, back to my vacation... See ya guys when the movies out!

hmmm
You are not forgotten. You are just yesterday's news. Well to update you, AH are the best speed subbers at the moment. They started subbing from episode 91. They have better encoding and excellent translation. They even have Karaoke. I think you started adding the Karaoke after about 20th release. I also checked out Koi & Aga group's version last week. It was noticeable that some of their translation matched word by word with AH. AH released first. Haven't checked their (Koi & Aga) version for ep 94 yet. Other than that its happy hour for the Naruto fans.

So as you can see, you are not missed at all; but you are not forgotten either. Enjoy your vacation.
Old 2004-08-06, 00:52   Link #25
AssertnFailure
Where's the ladies?

who cares if they translate shadow replication or not......
if you know what "kage bunshin no jutsu" means.....then wouldnt you be able to identify it just by hearing naruto say it? It's not like it could be confused with something else easy enough for there to be a NEED to display "kage bunshin" in plain text when the person says it at the same time.
Old 2004-08-06, 01:11   Link #26
fieryshadowcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptenergy
- A&A translate the techniques into English, like "Replication Technique." I just think that's a bad idea. IMHO it's better to leave some Japanese in the anime. (If they really wanted to, they could rename all the characters, like Naruto -> Nathan and Jiraiya -> Jerry and Tsunade to Teresa, but... ugh. you get the point). Best solution for me would be to put the Japanese name as the main label, and then place something above that explains what it means (like TW did).
You're missing the point of the word "translation". It's a word with a meaning that involves taking something from one language and accurately reconstructing it in another target language. If that doesn't suffice, here's the dictionary definition in regards to language:

2 a : to turn into one's own or another language b : to transfer or turn from one set of symbols into another : TRANSCRIBE c (1) : to express in different terms and especially different words : PARAPHRASE (2) : to express in more comprehensible terms : EXPLAIN, INTERPRET

That is all ANBU is doing, taking the original Japanese and giving a reasonable interpretation of it. If your problem is with not preserving the Japanese name for a technique, then your problem is with translation in general, in which case you are looking for a transliteration:

Main Entry: trans·lit·er·ate
Pronunciation: tran(t)s-'li-t&-"rAt, tranz-
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): -at·ed; -at·ing
Etymology: trans- + Latin littera letter
: to represent or spell in the characters of another alphabet

If that is not clear, what you are looking for is the actual pronunciation of the Japanese language written in English, as opposed to the meaning. Since this thread is about translation and not transliteration, it would seem that you're in the wrong thread.

Now, your thought on displaying both the transliterated and translated names of a technique, the transliteration being a bonus rather than a requirement, seems valid, but saying that a fansub group is at fault for doing what they are supposed to do in the first place... does that really make sense?

And the name-changing thing... now, you're being silly. I'm black and American, and I have cousins named Muhammad and Sakeenah. Your claim about that being a translation (or even a thought in the fansubbers' heads) is about as rational as Martin and Sarah being proper translations for my cousins' names just because they begin with the same letter.

What you have in that situation is not a translation, but a complete change of meaning. American companies that do this aren't doing it to translate... they do things as minor as that to erase the original culture. Any company doing that is trying to make it seem as though the show was not originally made elsewhere. Perhaps because they feel people of their country will relate to names of that country, perhaps because they wish to avoid answering questions regarding other cultures and pronunciation, or perhaps because they're evil... who knows? *shrugs*

But the name of a human being is the name by which they should be addressed, because there can truly be no translation of a name except for names that have roots in the same place (ie. Yusuf, Yusef, Joseph, Joey, Joe, Giuseppi... the list goes on).

Ultimately, what you're nitpicking about isn't even an issue as far as fansubbers go, because what they're doing is what you're concerned with, which is converting what can be converted from one language into the words of one's own language while preserving the nuances and aspects of the translated language's culture that came with the language that was translated. When a fansub group does not do that, then and only then can it be said that the group is not doing its job to the best of your liking.

So, then, your complaint is about what feels right. As I said before, not wanting the name of a technique (which can be translated) translated is like saying you don't want the language translated at all.

Translation is not just about who can be the most literal. A literal translation can be confusing in another language because of the fact that words and grammar of one language will be slightly awkward in another language. In this case, the translation is meant to preserve the meaning of a text, and if it means/ conveys the same thing to a person whose language is English as it does to a person whose language is Japanese, then the translator has done his/her job. The best translators are the ones who convey the literal meaning in a way that feels best to the target audience of the translated text.

If anyone truly feels like there's a need for a transliteration thread, there's always that nice, shiny NEW THREAD button waiting for you.

-Yusef "The B.A.T." Pittman
Old 2004-08-06, 03:10   Link #27
naruto_117

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieryshadowcard
You're missing the point of the word "translation". It's a word with a meaning that involves taking something from one language and accurately reconstructing it in another target language. If that doesn't suffice, here's the dictionary definition in regards to language:

2 a : to turn into one's own or another language b : to transfer or turn from one set of symbols into another : TRANSCRIBE c (1) : to express in different terms and especially different words : PARAPHRASE (2) : to express in more comprehensible terms : EXPLAIN, INTERPRET

That is all ANBU is doing, taking the original Japanese and giving a reasonable interpretation of it. If your problem is with not preserving the Japanese name for a technique, then your problem is with translation in general, in which case you are looking for a transliteration:

Main Entry: trans·lit·er·ate
Pronunciation: tran(t)s-'li-t&-"rAt, tranz-
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): -at·ed; -at·ing
Etymology: trans- + Latin littera letter
: to represent or spell in the characters of another alphabet

If that is not clear, what you are looking for is the actual pronunciation of the Japanese language written in English, as opposed to the meaning. Since this thread is about translation and not transliteration, it would seem that you're in the wrong thread.

Now, your thought on displaying both the transliterated and translated names of a technique, the transliteration being a bonus rather than a requirement, seems valid, but saying that a fansub group is at fault for doing what they are supposed to do in the first place... does that really make sense?

And the name-changing thing... now, you're being silly. I'm black and American, and I have cousins named Muhammad and Sakeenah. Your claim about that being a translation (or even a thought in the fansubbers' heads) is about as rational as Martin and Sarah being proper translations for my cousins' names just because they begin with the same letter.

What you have in that situation is not a translation, but a complete change of meaning. American companies that do this aren't doing it to translate... they do things as minor as that to erase the original culture. Any company doing that is trying to make it seem as though the show was not originally made elsewhere. Perhaps because they feel people of their country will relate to names of that country, perhaps because they wish to avoid answering questions regarding other cultures and pronunciation, or perhaps because they're evil... who knows? *shrugs*

But the name of a human being is the name by which they should be addressed, because there can truly be no translation of a name except for names that have roots in the same place (ie. Yusuf, Yusef, Joseph, Joey, Joe, Giuseppi... the list goes on).

Ultimately, what you're nitpicking about isn't even an issue as far as fansubbers go, because what they're doing is what you're concerned with, which is converting what can be converted from one language into the words of one's own language while preserving the nuances and aspects of the translated language's culture that came with the language that was translated. When a fansub group does not do that, then and only then can it be said that the group is not doing its job to the best of your liking.

So, then, your complaint is about what feels right. As I said before, not wanting the name of a technique (which can be translated) translated is like saying you don't want the language translated at all.

Translation is not just about who can be the most literal. A literal translation can be confusing in another language because of the fact that words and grammar of one language will be slightly awkward in another language. In this case, the translation is meant to preserve the meaning of a text, and if it means/ conveys the same thing to a person whose language is English as it does to a person whose language is Japanese, then the translator has done his/her job. The best translators are the ones who convey the literal meaning in a way that feels best to the target audience of the translated text.

If anyone truly feels like there's a need for a transliteration thread, there's always that nice, shiny NEW THREAD button waiting for you.

Dude chill out...Don't get your panties in a bunch. Now lets get a little more on the topic at hand. I personally think that anbu&aone is the best because they actually do a full complete job...but take forever. I usually try to download from shin otaku before anything else. If i know the episode is going to really AWESOME then it doesnt really matter who I download from. I have read all of the manga that is out so quality really isnt an issue for me. Just go with shin otaku or anime heaven...I think those are the top two right there.
Old 2004-08-06, 09:42   Link #28
fieryshadowcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by naruto_117
Dude chill out...Don't get your panties in a bunch. Now lets get a little more on the topic at hand. I personally think that anbu&aone is the best because they actually do a full complete job...but take forever. I usually try to download from shin otaku before anything else. If i know the episode is going to really AWESOME then it doesnt really matter who I download from. I have read all of the manga that is out so quality really isnt an issue for me. Just go with shin otaku or anime heaven...I think those are the top two right there.
Dude yourself. Who said I was angry? Besides...

*eyes shift around suspiciously before he whispers*

I'm not wearing any panties....

Hey, take that however you want, I just said it because you set it up.

In any case, Shin Otaku is on the top right now, quickly followed by Anime Heaven. While ANBU has the most accurate translations, they take too long for too little an improvement. Neither SO, AH, or any other fansub group is so poor that I can't understand what's going on nor enjoy the episode. So, it basically follows that if there's something I don't understand, I download ANBU when it comes out, look at it, balance which sub I enjoyed better, and then I get rid of the one I enjoyed less (which is generally ANBU... even with better literal translations, the translations have a stiffer feel).

Perhaps if ANBU guaranteed me a free meal with every download (and maintenance of their episode in my files), then I would reconsider. But they don't do anything too special, so... *shrugs*

Old 2004-08-06, 10:22   Link #29
Sasu11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zek
Anime Heaven has improved a lot since their first release, but that is saying very little. They're still speedsubbers and the quality of their translations is iffy at best; sometimes they misunderstand the word said(like "It can't be..." instead of "Blood..." in 94) and sometimes their sentences are very poorly worded. They're decent enough that I download them for the speed(since Shin-Otaku seems to have slowed down lately in favor of quality), and then just wait for Anbu & AOne.
How do you know the quality of their translations is iffy if you can't speak Japanese?? In the example you gave Tsunade said 'chigau' which my dictionary translates as 'to differ'. Tsunade wanted to believe that what she was seeing was not really happening. "It can't be..." is a perfect translation. "Chigau" certainly doesn't mean "blood".

I don't understand most of the Japanese I hear in Naruto, but of what I can understand the A-H translations are always excellent.
Old 2004-08-06, 10:31   Link #30
Ero-Sannin

Send a message via MSN to Ero-Sannin
Hey someone should make a poll about this.. it may have been done already I dont know,

Anyway Toriyama World are definintely number 1 but they are either very slow, or just stopped subbing
Old 2004-08-06, 11:28   Link #31
aptenergy

Yeah I would encourage everyone to lighten up a bit. I'm not saying that ANBU and AonE are wrong for what they do; obviously if they left a lot of things in Japanese no one would understand what's going on. But I liked what TW did, which was to put both Japanese and English names when referring to a technique.

Haha yeah I guess the name stuff was a little stretch, wasn't it? lol
Old 2004-08-06, 12:09   Link #32
zindryr
Bakafish Person and Stuff

I don't know, (speaking as a translator, of course, you can point and laugh at me if you think I suck anyways, that works too), but to me translating the move names isn't that cool, because they are just that, names. I tend try and walk a fine line between complete literal translations, and trying to keep the names of things intact. I don't mind providing a simple and fairly accurate English translation for names at times, but I don't like translating them out to people all the time, as it feels like it takes some away from the anime and what the person who made it wanted to say. Same thing with titles, etc. We don't call "Jounin" "Upper Ninja", (well, Viz does), because that is a title. We also don't call the "Hokage" the "Fire Shadow". I feel the same way towards things like Kage Bunshin.

As is, my personal views, burn me at the stake if you feel like it.
Old 2004-08-06, 12:52   Link #33
eLstar
(^_^)v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late
ANBU & AonE. No doubt about it.

Shouldn't this be a poll?
No, choices are limited then. I'm allowing this thread mainly because all the past ones only involved polls of Anbu-Aone and ToriyamaWorld.
Old 2004-08-06, 13:17   Link #34
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindryr
We don't call "Jounin" "Upper Ninja", (well, Viz does), because that is a title. We also don't call the "Hokage" the "Fire Shadow". I feel the same way towards things like Kage Bunshin.
Upper Ninja and Fire Shadow are Viz? Damn, and to think my resolve to buy the Naruto manga was weakening...
Old 2004-08-06, 14:16   Link #35
AssertnFailure
Where's the ladies?

alot of groups translate things a little differently than each other....none of them are "perfect"......

while you point out that tsunade said "blood" instead of "it cant be"....both of them get the point across just fine.......we know about her weakness, so there shouldnt be any confusion.....

what i didnt like about AH (im pretty sure it was them), was that they never acknowledged kabuto's medical taijutsu as chakra scalpels.....which they were.....
without saying that, it just seems like some altered version of neji's "gentle fist"

i remember there was another thing too that AH did that bugged me, but i forget. I think AA did a better job with some of kabuto's lines, and really the only thing they did that i didnt like was that they call the soldier pill a "food pill"
Old 2004-08-06, 14:35   Link #36
BarMan

I tried an Anime Heaven sub (episode 94 cause you guys like them) but I'm not to impressed with the translations.

I'm still for ANBU & AonE
Old 2004-08-08, 01:18   Link #37
ManixTT

Began with TW, then stuck to ANBU for most of Naruto until BakaSan came along. I've come to realize that ANBU is overrated. ANBU is not worth waiting for anymore. Also ANBU's translations are just boring. It's a shame but anyway, Shin-Otaku and Animeheaven are pretty good.
Old 2004-08-08, 05:53   Link #38
Spooky-Electric

TW is the best, but they stopped at like episode 50.

I like AA the best now, as speed is not at all an issue for me. I don't have a problem with them directly translating Jutsu, as I can hear what the character is saying vocally and then get the literal translation for it in the subtitle. And sometimes they put exactly what the character said in the subtitle, but with a translation at the top of the screen. They NEED to be translated somehow, IMO. How the hell are we supposed to know what they mean if they aren't translated?
Old 2004-08-08, 17:49   Link #39
NL|MegaMika

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieryshadowcard
You're missing the point of the word "translation". It's a ... of another alphabet.
People have different taste. I also like to read the name of the technique, with the translation above / next / wherever to it. AA does that almost all the time, I love that. To the other guy: TW NEVER used the Japanese name.

Are you really thát crazy?

Maybe it's to increase the target group? Watching an English dubbed series with names as Orochimaru can be fatal, many people dislike it. Don't understand me wrong, I don't want any fansub groups to change names, just talking about companies who dub series.

That's just your opinion, no-one cares about it.

Create one and lock yourself in there, saves us the time to scroll past your posts.

OMFG~!!!
To continue: like I said in a previous post, I prefer ANBU&AonE, but the DO have some stupid translations. How about ep 94, Gamakichi says 'Yo', they translated it in 'Whats up?' Completely stupid in my opinion, going that way they could've also translated Kyuubi to 'Giant huge red demon with fangs and claws that has nine tails and looks like a fox' instead of 'Nine tails demon fox.' O my god that last sentence will trigger some LARGE reaction in your head. /me hides for the text coming.
Old 2004-08-08, 18:39   Link #40
jbruns
Warez Kiddie

this Really Belongs In The Fansub Groups Forum...... There Are Other Forums Besides The Naruto One Smart Guy
Closed Thread