AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Monster

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-12-16, 03:18   Link #1
Crowley
A-Kraze QCer

Episode 33 - Scenes from Childhood

Is anyone else really unimpressed by the new ending song?
This one was also better in manga form, mostly because the next chapters were ready to be read right away.
Old 2004-12-16, 03:36   Link #2
WristBandMan

A-Kraze Qcer~? thanks for the subs!!!!!
lemme leave this thread now cause i don't wanna wander into spoilers lol~~
Old 2004-12-16, 09:27   Link #3
Kimblee

I thought the previous ending song was bad. I mean, the guy pretty much just spoke the lyrics. But compared to this one. Ugh... I don't think I'm gonna be keeping up with those eastern European monster pictures anymore.
Old 2004-12-16, 16:58   Link #4
nashimas

hmmm, did anyone else notice the clue in the publishers name on the book that freaked Johan out?

It points to the Moravian Gypsies (book published in Moravia) who some of which were thrown into Auschwitz concentration camp, within this camp lives a certain doctor, Josef Mengele who experimented on twins the result of which was to produce a perfect aryan, blond haired and blue eyed.

If anyone wants to know more then go to:

http://history1900s.about.com/od/aus...ngeletwins.htm

Old 2004-12-16, 21:05   Link #5
Fellini 8.5
Film Snob

Excellent episode (from the perspective of this non-manga-reader). The creepiness got kicked up a notch.

Particularly creepy is how there's now all these lil' Johanns running around. (Or should I say "falling"?) Just plain disturbing.
Old 2004-12-16, 23:25   Link #6
grfd567

A good episode indeed,

I don't know why, but i didn't expect him messing with the kidz like that hahaha.
It really took me by surprise, but then again, from him we should expect the unexpected.

I agree that this episode was even more creepier than usual, I mean come on...If anything I would call it a curse, to be able to predict when and how you might die...thats just creepy hahahaha...
But I really can't wait to see what will happen in the next eps.

Also, Now that I'm hearing it...I kind of wish they would've left the first ending song...It kind of went along with the mood of the show. But oh well.
Old 2004-12-17, 03:12   Link #7
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Ya the new ending really sucks...the old one was ok, i got used to it. It sounds awesome when you play it slow motion.

I was freaked out by Johan's expression 0_0 I only saw him smile or no expression....

I dun want Johan to die
Old 2004-12-17, 16:06   Link #8
jalana
Editorizor of Fansubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku
I dun want Johan to die
Seriously now. The series is supposed to be around 78 episodes. We're only on ep 33. Do you really think they'll kill off the antagonist halfway into the show?
Old 2004-12-17, 16:32   Link #9
Linguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashimas
ut?

It points to the Moravian Gypsies (book published in Moravia) who some of which were thrown into Auschwitz concentration camp, ...

it was called Moravian Puplications not Gypsies, so I can see no reference to this.

anyway, I googled for "Emil Scheibe" and I would not suggest you to do it. Because the only thing you will found is ***spoilers***
The only reference was a translation from the manga Monster, so Emil Scheibe is fiction

The new song for the ending must be skipped by me, it's bad. imho doesn't fit the mood of the anime.
Old 2004-12-17, 19:00   Link #10
Crowley
A-Kraze QCer

I'm not saying that it is or isn't a reference to what Mengele did, but references in stories can be extremely innocuous. Obviously the company needed a name, but why "Moravian"? If the writers were to make that reference here, to call it "Moravian Gypsies Puplications" would be way too obvious and would ruin the subtletly of such a reference, but "Moravian Publications" is a plausible name for a publishing company and it still keeps that Moravian thread. I don't know any of the history of the Moravians, but if the events at Auschwitz are a significant event in Moravian history and they are often associated with it, then this could easily be a subtle reference.
We won't know if it was intended without asking whoever wrote that line, but if the Moravian/Mengele connection really is there it adds some nice depth to the story.

Last edited by Crowley; 2004-12-17 at 19:10.
Old 2004-12-17, 21:45   Link #11
Johan_the_Monster

I found this episode pretty good. The ending song stinks, compared to the last one. Also, I though since the book was from Czekelisovkia (sp?), that it was somehow related into Johan's past. I can't wait for the next episode!
Old 2004-12-17, 23:04   Link #12
BigFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linguist
it was called Moravian Puplications not Gypsies, so I can see no reference to this.

anyway, I googled for "Emil Scheibe" and I would not suggest you to do it. Because the only thing you will found is
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2004-12-17, 23:06   Link #13
BigFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley
I'm not saying that it is or isn't a reference to what Mengele did, but references in stories can be extremely innocuous. Obviously the company needed a name, but why "Moravian"? If the writers were to make that reference here, to call it "Moravian Gypsies Puplications" would be way too obvious and would ruin the subtletly of such a reference, but "Moravian Publications" is a plausible name for a publishing company and it still keeps that Moravian thread. I don't know any of the history of the Moravians, but if the events at Auschwitz are a significant event in Moravian history and they are often associated with it, then this could easily be a subtle reference.
We won't know if it was intended without asking whoever wrote that line, but if the Moravian/Mengele connection really is there it adds some nice depth to the story.
Moravia is one of the region of Czech (along with Bohemia and Silesia). You'll find out that the name isn't randomly chosen.
Old 2004-12-18, 11:44   Link #14
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

The new ending song is pretty awful, but the quality of the episode itself more than made up for it. Some very creepy and intriguing events. I really want to know what the heck happened to Johan.
Old 2004-12-18, 18:10   Link #15
Crowley
A-Kraze QCer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFire
Moravia is one of the region of Czech (along with Bohemia and Silesia). You'll find out that the name isn't randomly chosen.
Of course it wasn't, I was just pursuing that guy's train of thought as it pertains to the anime.
Old 2004-12-19, 01:59   Link #16
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalana
Seriously now. The series is supposed to be around 78 episodes. We're only on ep 33. Do you really think they'll kill off the antagonist halfway into the show?

I know he won't die now ^-^" LOL I meant later on sorry I should have said that
Old 2004-12-19, 02:18   Link #17
WristBandMan

from the sign,

apparently Schuwald
should have been Schubert~~~~~
Old 2004-12-19, 08:47   Link #18
runpsicat
Engrishator
*Fansubber

To be quite honest, we have become rather apathetic after a series of inconsistencies as to which spelling is "correct". Users never seem to agree about what they prefer, not to mention that they all have different reasons on a case-by-case basis. It's a lose-lose situation for us

Spoiler:
Old 2004-12-19, 09:00   Link #19
Ri_
mangaworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by runpsicat
Spoiler:
Well put!
Though I do wonder why on earth they suddenly decided on Schubert.... oh hwell.
Old 2004-12-19, 09:58   Link #20
LazyWulfran0
Laser-Equipped Penguin

Send a message via AIM to LazyWulfran0
It's entirely possible that the people writing the signs for the TV series said "Hey, we're in Japan! Who's gonna notice?" and decided that since these are Western names, they could use whatever spelling they liked. Cynical? Yes. But considering the horrible inaccuracies I've seen regarding Western languages in anime, this actually doesn't seem so bad.
Closed Thread