Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-29, 07:13   Link #13901
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Food is still food, yeah. But if the dog is a friend of a blind man being abducted for food, then that is the real issue.

The thing is that in China, dogs are not bred for food, they are abducted from their owners for food. The place is chaos.
I'd think that such a pragmatic economist such as yourself would see the benefit in such harvesting of strays that other countries spend public money and private donations trying to control through capture, fixings, and animal facilities . The article that was linked says around 10 million dogs are slaughtered and consumed every year. Do you honestly believe that there are even that many easily accessible house pets to be spirited away?
Old 2011-05-29, 07:59   Link #13902
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
The article that was linked says around 10 million dogs are slaughtered and consumed every year. Do you honestly believe that there are even that many easily accessible house pets to be spirited away?
In China, a country of 1.3 billion people? I'd believe it...

Though, the whole thing kinda reminds me of why we don't eat rabbit here anymore...

Can't be eating cute fluffy animals now, can we?
Old 2011-05-29, 08:05   Link #13903
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Though, the whole thing kinda reminds me of why we don't eat rabbit here anymore...

If you would go to a ''french'' ( or even a ''pseudo french'' )restaurant, you could probably find rabbit on the menu. It considered as a ''game'' meat like quail and duck, at least here .
Old 2011-05-29, 08:46   Link #13904
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
it turns out this adult baby is getting taxpayer-funded benefits!

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/publ...ring-baby.html
my head hurts...
Old 2011-05-29, 09:07   Link #13905
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
If you would go to a ''french'' ( or even a ''pseudo french'' )restaurant, you could probably find rabbit on the menu. It considered as a ''game'' meat like quail and duck, at least here .
Yeah, I heard that, but the french eat everything .

Rabbit used to be eaten here very often, as a cheap meat, but I think myxomotosis combined with increased usage as pets led to it's decline. Difficult to eat them when the only rabbits you see are pets, and they're not rolicking around the countryside waiting to be captured.
Old 2011-05-29, 09:25   Link #13906
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
In China, a country of 1.3 billion people? I'd believe it...

eating rabbit is on the raise here in the US. still a very small percentage but it is raising.
Old 2011-05-29, 09:26   Link #13907
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Rabbit used to be eaten here very often, as a cheap meat, but I think myxomotosis combined with increased usage as pets led to it's decline. Difficult to eat them when the only rabbits you see are pets, and they're not rolicking around the countryside waiting to be captured.
As a cook, I can tell you than I never used ''wild'' meat, it would be illegal here anyway: now, even rabbits and quails than are considered as game are produced on farm. The rabbit than the restaurant would serve you would be comming from the countryside anyway.
Old 2011-05-29, 09:55   Link #13908
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Rabbits as food reduced so much that they removed the "Rabbit Raising Merit Badge" from the list entirely for the Boy Scouts of America in the early 1990s.
Old 2011-05-29, 10:02   Link #13909
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
As a cook, I can tell you than I never used ''wild'' meat, it would be illegal here anyway: now, even rabbits and quails than are considered as game are produced on farm. The rabbit than the restaurant would serve you would be comming from the countryside anyway.
"Wild" rabbit meat was commonly used in Ireland prior to the onset of Myxomotosis, which wiped out most of Ireland's rabbit population. I see nothing wrong with eating wild meat per se.
Old 2011-05-29, 10:48   Link #13910
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
I'd think that such a pragmatic economist such as yourself would see the benefit in such harvesting of strays that other countries spend public money and private donations trying to control through capture, fixings, and animal facilities . The article that was linked says around 10 million dogs are slaughtered and consumed every year. Do you honestly believe that there are even that many easily accessible house pets to be spirited away?
Like I said, if it is not abducted, I am fine with eating it. If it is bred for food, I am fine too.

But China's population is 1.3 billion - 10 million as compared to it is 1 out of 130 people, so I think dognapping may factor into a significant portion of that.

As for strays? Eating them is dangerous, it spread urban diseases!

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2011-05-29 at 11:08.
Old 2011-05-29, 11:14   Link #13911
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
As for strays? Eating them is dangerous, it spread urban diseases!
Don't forget about all thoses food related scandal. Quality and salubrity don't seem to be a major consern for some...

UK training Saudi forces used to crush Arab spring
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...g-saudi-troops
Quote:
In response to questions made under the Freedom of Information Act, the Ministry of Defence has confirmed that British personnel regularly run courses for the national guard in "weapons, fieldcraft and general military skills training, as well as incident handling, bomb disposal, search, public order and sniper training". The courses are organised through the British Military Mission to the Saudi Arabian National Guard, an obscure unit that consists of 11 British army personnel under the command of a brigadier
I wouldn't be surprised if some of those '' 11 British army personnels'' where from the SAS.
Old 2011-05-29, 11:41   Link #13912
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Don't forget about all thoses food related scandal. Quality and salubrity don't seem to be a major consern for some...
If you asked me, I would say it is a poverty issue where the poor only cared about food being edible rather than safe, just like the reports of how some in India eat their own excrement to survive.

Quote:
Well, we can shave them first. Then we can eat them because they aren't fluffy anymore!

Quote:
UK training Saudi forces used to crush Arab spring
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...g-saudi-troops

I wouldn't be surprised if some of those '' 11 British army personnels'' where from the SAS.
Well, the British trained the troops to defend their country against extremism. But the Saudi's definition of "extremism" differed from that of the Brits - instead of terrorist groups like the Al-Qaeda, it extends to "anyone threatening the right of rule of the Saudi family and their affiliated political elements".

Their idea of "public safety" are those that of their interests, not the opinion and ideas of the younger generation. There is an Arab foreign student I know (weird guy, goes out to have fun with us, but skips the night drinking party everytime?) who was rather supportive of the fact that the rest of the world is going to abandon SA after oil runs out from its lands, and proposed that it maintains a "gigantic solar farm" in the desert stretches so it can still export energy in the future, in the form of batteries.

His ideas have merit, and so does the many ideas of the youth living there. But I seriously doubt anyone is listening.

EDIT :

Reagan insider: GOP destroyed U.S. economy, Part 2
Spoiler for LONG:

The thing about Reaganomics is that, he actually didn't have much of a choice back then, post-Vietnam, Bretton Woods, etc drolling upon the US economy. Real problem is that, subsequently after his policies were enacted, the people in his succession line forgot about the most important thing - paying it back.

And they just kept spending until today, then "oops", while the Democrats go "keep spending!" while the GOP goes "Stop spending and grab the monies from the middle/lower class to pay off the debt!". The political war is seriously getting lamer and lamer everyday.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2011-05-29 at 12:03.
Old 2011-05-29, 11:49   Link #13913
killer3000ad

Lockheed Martin fends of cyber attack
Old 2011-05-29, 17:47   Link #13914
ChainLegacy
廉頗

New study argues against conclusion that bacteria consumed the methane from the deepwater horizon incident

Not great news, but not surprising either. People have nearly put the event out of their minds but I'm not convinced that long term damage is improbable.
Old 2011-05-29, 18:27   Link #13915
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
EDIT :

Spoiler for LONG:

The thing about Reaganomics is that, he actually didn't have much of a choice back then, post-Vietnam, Bretton Woods, etc drolling upon the US economy. Real problem is that, subsequently after his policies were enacted, the people in his succession line forgot about the most important thing - paying it back.

And they just kept spending until today, then "oops", while the Democrats go "keep spending!" while the GOP goes "Stop spending and grab the monies from the middle/lower class to pay off the debt!". The political war is seriously getting lamer and lamer everyday.
The megameltdown this guy predicts won't stop it. They'll be the only ones able to weather the storm. Those who will be hurt will be us, those who don't have massive fortunes of millions to protect us.

No, what'll actually stop this and cause the massive paradigm shift is what'll happen after the mega-meltdown, when the majority of people can't afford the basic needs of survival. Particularly food, which is already getting pricey. At that point, we'll see here what we've been seeing elsewhere in the world. At that point, these "crony capitalists" will start dying of a massive epidemic of lead poisoning.

I'm not sure I want to be around when this happens, or what happens after it. I only hope that something more peaceful can prevent this from taking place and try to rebuild things without having to kill a large percentage of American citizens.
Old 2011-05-29, 18:45   Link #13916
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

India again denounces U.S. military aid to Pakistan
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...74R0PK20110528
I can't really contradict them...
Old 2011-05-29, 21:08   Link #13917
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
EDIT :

Spoiler for LONG:

The guy has some points on some issues, but he's wrong on others. And both right and wrong on some. Letting the banks fail for example would have caused a complete meltdown of the US economy, and made the great depression look like a minor market correction. However, he's also right about the banks encouraged to continue risky trading because of that. Really the banks should never have been allowed to grow so big that their failing would have such a disastrous effect on the economy. Further, while the banks needed to be saved, the people who ran them should have been punished. Unfortunately, we live in a land of due process, so the bank CEOs can't have their heads displayed on stakes on the white house lawn as a warning to the next 10 generations the price of fiscal irresponsibility.
Old 2011-05-29, 21:13   Link #13918
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Can't legally. I suspect that if the next economic downturn is bad enough that the general public can't feed themselves and their families, they will likely put those heads on pikes without any judicial authority.

I just hope the greed-freaks soon realize that if they were less greedy, they'd make more overall in the long run and not have to worry about possibly being tortured to death by an angry mob. Not to mention the obvious benefits an educated, fed, happy populace with money to burn on high-profit luxury goods would bring any business.
Old 2011-05-29, 21:21   Link #13919
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
in the long run
Well there's your problem. No one who can affect anything cares about the long-run anymore.
Old 2011-05-29, 21:30   Link #13920
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

That's the problem, yes. These guys would rather make a million now and ruin the economy than make two million later and keep everything solvent.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international