AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-09-21, 10:45   Link #301
Dop
Mmmm....

Yeah, that was a gripping tie-break situation there, and that with the afterparty was a great way to end what has been a really enjoyable show which I'd had no real expectations of when I started watching it.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-21, 11:15   Link #302
videoman190

The Final Butt Slap count is 6. I am looking forward for season 2 if there is enough material.
videoman190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-21, 12:41   Link #303
BWTraveller
Born to ship

And Akari is the only one left out here too. Seriously give us another season and get Akari a partner and a good booty-slap!
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-21, 17:07   Link #304
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Our battle has just begun!

No, really, that was a nice ending. Eclair handled their loss well. Claire is more mature than she appears to be.

I really liked this show. One of my favorite this season. I didn't expect to enjoy it this much when I picked it up. The characters were all highly likable and the fanservice was incredibly nice. It was perfect for summer.
Old 2018-09-21, 19:02   Link #305
Wandering Soul

That was a pretty good match and the ending (of both it and this show) was satisfying. I didn't really go into this show expecting much, but it was an enjoyable ride.
Old 2018-09-21, 23:24   Link #306
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

This was a good solid finish. Has it already been a year in their timeline? Harukana has progressed and improved a lot!

I think this anime should serve as a decent blueprint on how to mix in strong characters, strong wills, grit, technique, competitive atmosphere, respect and compassion for others, as well as "tasteful" eye candy. Sure, the camera does pan and focus on the girls' bodies, but it's not overly explicit. Kind of like taking a glimpse while being engaged with the actual matter at hand (training, the match, strategy etc.). The anime did a good job of portraying all 4 players' personalities, including some other characters too. The only thing missing was having a partner pair up with the 5th player.

Post match, everyone handled the win/loss really well. It wasn't overly dramatic, and it was realistic. The Thomas siblings mourned their loss, and got over it. I found the scene between Claire and Haruka talking about their views of the last point to be really mature. There's a level of respect and feeling humble about the events that transpired, along with the passing on of the trust (and scrunchies) that symbolized how close they all were.

I certainly do hope a second season gets animated.
magnumcyclonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-22, 04:57   Link #307
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for final thoughts:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-22, 12:49   Link #308
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

I ended up approaching Harukana Receive from a slice-of-life and self-discovery perspective rather than a sports anime perspective. The withertos and whyfors of beach volleyball (e.g. whether or not Kanata's pokies are all that relevant when everything is said and done) figures a lot less than the growth that Kanata experiences as an individual. This journey was well done in Harukana Receive, and one I enjoyed.
Old 2018-09-22, 16:44   Link #309
James Rye

Can't believe Emily and Claire lost. They really are cursed with eternal 2nd place. Poor girls, all they get are rivals, not gold medals. Especially frustrating if you think you lost to a girl who is training for one year while you have been training your entire childhood. :c
Guess those friendship really were important after all given how hyped all 4 were for this final but Emily and Claire really wanted to win to show the other two in the nationals that they can beat them. Now they have to put their hopes in Harukana to win in their stead. I would have given those two all kind of liquors to drown that sorrow and frustration. Good kids.
Old 2018-09-22, 16:57   Link #310
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rye View Post
Especially frustrating if you think you lost to a girl who is training for one year while you have been training your entire childhood.
Well, unless you were the one doing the training. I think that in time, the pride of their training success will eclipse the sting of losing.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-23, 03:29   Link #311
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Watched episode 12:

Enjoyed. This was a nice finish. Enjoyed the final bits of sports action.. and I'm glad Haruka and Kanata still friends with the thomas sisters. The steak brought by Claire made me hungry!!

8.5/10 not perfect 10 because the animation quality sort of dropped episodes 3-4, but still good.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-23, 07:33   Link #312
alt_account

Began reading through the Japanese volumes today (yesterday). The anime was a pretty good adaptation in general (lots of neat moments brought to life by the animation) but I didn't realize what a big alteration the existence of grandma made to the story. Although a large part of the impact was positive, one result was that they had to significantly rewrite the airport scene that capped off episode 8/volume 3.

Spoiler for manga comparison:

Despite the huge shift in tone and effectiveness of the "family" theme brought about by grandma's presence in the story, I guess a point in the anime's favour is that an explicit guardian makes more sense plotwise (particularly with Haruka moving in to live with them). Still, there was definitely a sacrifice in coherence for episode 8 so I guess I'd just say the manga is worth checking out.

Last edited by alt_account; 2018-09-23 at 07:48.
alt_account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-23, 11:02   Link #313
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That's interesting. One thing I found weird is that the anime never addressed the death of Kanata's parents. We were told they died and that's it. Not when or how, nor the impact it had on Kanata.
Old 2018-09-24, 10:31   Link #314
BluePhirePB

I liked this anime. Yes there was fan service but it wasn't in your face, heavy handed. Just the right amount with a good story!
BluePhirePB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-24, 13:20   Link #315
Yan3242

Just start watching this until episode 2.

All i can say is... is there no male in this world? Not even some guy in the background?
Even the taxi driver is female
Yan3242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-24, 18:36   Link #316
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yan3242 View Post
Just start watching this until episode 2.

All i can say is... is there no male in this world? Not even some guy in the background?
Even the taxi driver is female
There is the grandpa. He's shown in the last episode... kind of
Old 2018-09-24, 19:37   Link #317
Belgaesh

This was such a fresh anime, I loved the ending and that though I was rooting for Claire and Emily. I hope we can get a second season, I thought it was a good adaptation.
Belgaesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-25, 07:07   Link #318
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Sad.. no more Harukana next Sunday. This is one of the anime I look forward to every week.
Old 2018-09-25, 07:20   Link #319
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
Sad.. no more Harukana next Sunday. This is one of the anime I look forward to every week.
I thought the show came out on Fridays. I’m on your team, though: Fridays will be very quiet without Harukana Receive. What I don’t miss is blogging about it each week...that was tough
Old 2018-09-25, 07:49   Link #320
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Yeah, came out on Fridays... but I have the habit of getting it on Sundays. hehe

Ah... need season 2!!!!! ><

Tags
sports, volleyball