AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-12-13, 00:20   Link #21
Nosauz

I'm just going to say that Sonic 1, 2, 3, Sonic and Knuckles, Echo I & II. Enough said. You can keep your mother 1-3, secrets of mana, and a whole smorgashboard of games. My childhood was defined by sonic platformers, though I did play the the snes I still find sonic a more compelling character. He tries to stop eggman from robotizing the entire sonic universe where as bowser is just a whorny dinosaur that wants to get his beastiality on. Oh yea the xmen platformer was the best.

But of the old guard, I loved the NEO GEO the best. Screw sega, and nintendo, the console that was pretty much an in house arcade cabinent with the best controllers captured my heart. Rocking kof 95 in the comfort of my friends house was amazing. I mean that was the first time we actually got 64bit colors on the system where as the snes and sega gensis were only 32bit machines.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-13, 01:22   Link #22
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

You were actually able to afford Neo Geo? That thing costed several hundred dollars to a thousand. Must be nice to have rich parents. Neo Geo only had a handful of games too due to its insanely high cost.

Not to mention Neo Geo came out in 1990... were you even old enough? that was 19 years ago, making you a 1 year old when it came about.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-13, 05:41   Link #23
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I had the luck to have a friend who had a Neo Geo. Its joysticks were absolutely cash.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-13, 05:44   Link #24
Zekori

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
You were actually able to afford Neo Geo? That thing costed several hundred dollars to a thousand. Must be nice to have rich parents. Neo Geo only had a handful of games too due to its insanely high cost.
Well, iirc you can connect Genesis games to the Neo Geo so in theory it was like using your old genesis games and being able to use it like a hand-held system.

Only real main problem really was its absurd battery usage, among other things.
Zekori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-13, 07:57   Link #25
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama
I'll just do a sound chip comparison for my contribution to this thread using the power of youtube links to illustrate a point about the Super Nintendo vs. Genesis
Some people prefer the more organic Mega Drive chip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon
While sonic was a really good games(awesome even), it had nothing on the mario games.
I strongly disagree. I much prefer Sonic games to Mario games.
Quote:
SNES had Final Fight.
Streets of Rage was much better.
Quote:
Yeah that the N64 was better then the DC isn't as clear cut.
The Dreamcast's library was much better than the N64's in almost every way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Keichi
Actually, in the beginning, the Playstation would be an add-on for Super Nintendo, done in collaboration by these two, but then Sony changed her mind and decided to release her own console.
Wrong. Nintendo dropped the project. Sony decided to use what they got out of the project to make their own console afterwards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama
That is where they played the Genesis as the radical gnarly tubular system with attitude against the SNES which was depicted as boring and most uncool. They did this because they knew that if they went for straight up and honest hardware comparisons that the SNES would have them dead to rights
Not entirely. The SNES was composed of cheap parts from an older generation. They only made a real effort with the video chip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz
I mean that was the first time we actually got 64bit colors on the system where as the snes and sega gensis were only 32bit machines.
64-bit colours? The pallette was 16-bit, just like the SNES'. The Mega Drive used 9 bits (3 bits per RGB).

The big difference was that it could display 4096 colours at a time, while the SNES could display 256 (plus more through transparency effects), and the Mega Drive could display 64.
Old 2009-12-13, 10:18   Link #26
The Master
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post

Not to mention Neo Geo came out in 1990... were you even old enough? that was 19 years ago, making you a 1 year old when it came about.
I had not even heard of the Neo Geo until a year ago! The dreamcast was the best console of the Sega/Nintendo wars, hands down in my opinion. Brilliant fighting games and Racing Games. The dreamcasts graphics while not able to compete with the gamecube or later PS2 releases were still the closest to the arcades. It was amazing to play crazy taxis and have it in the arcades to. No console has since beaten that experience for me.
Old 2009-12-14, 03:42   Link #27
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Some people prefer the more organic Mega Drive chip.
I'm sure they do. And?
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 16:43   Link #28
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I'm sure they do. And?
So you can't claim that the SNES' sound chip is better. Both have their strengths.
Old 2009-12-14, 17:07   Link #29
Mattie

Send a message via MSN to Mattie
Street Fighter owned for saga lol
How ever Metal Gear Solid owned for nintendo,
so i guess all hail nintendo lol
Mattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 21:47   Link #30
Js2756
Thread Killer

Quote:
So you can't claim that the SNES' sound chip is better. Both have their strengths.
Sure you can. The SNES had a technologically superior chip.
Old 2009-12-15, 03:07   Link #31
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
^ and it didn't almost bankrupt the firm
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-15, 12:23   Link #32
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie
How ever Metal Gear Solid owned for nintendo
Metal Gear Solid started out on the PSX. Don't you mean Metal Gear?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Js2756
Sure you can. The SNES had a technologically superior chip.
Not really. The Mega Drive's chip is an FM synthesizer, that actually creates music. The SNES' is a sample player.

Given that emulating FM synthesis correctly isn't all that easy, I wouldn't say that it's necessarily technically inferior.
Old 2009-12-15, 15:48   Link #33
Js2756
Thread Killer

Quote:

Not really. The Mega Drive's chip is an FM synthesizer, that actually creates music. The SNES' is a sample player.

Given that emulating FM synthesis correctly isn't all that easy, I wouldn't say that it's necessarily technically inferior.
Yet there was still music on the SNES. Not sure what you're trying to argue here. The sample based sound system in the SNES still gives it more versatility than the FM synth system of the Genesis. I'll also take the additional channels and vastly larger amount of SRAM in the SNES over the Genesis any day.
Old 2009-12-15, 16:40   Link #34
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Nintendo, since it's the only game console I grew up through my childhood. My first console was the Super Nintendo and also Gameboy. Although there are some not so good games, there are classics like Mario and Zelda... and also Pokemon.

The problem with Sega is mismanagement and pointless accessories like the 32x and Sega CD, which were overpriced and there wasn't many games for it. Also, they messed up badly with Saturn since there was no Japanese RPGs thanks to Bernie Stolar.... and him saying "Saturn is not our future." and saying a stupid remark like "There is no more Tekken." Oh god...
Old 2009-12-16, 05:50   Link #35
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Sega CD and especially 32X kind of reveal what is wrong about Sega. They just did not understand that the consumer wanted a console that can stand on its own legs and not needing an upgrade accessory.
Old 2009-12-16, 11:41   Link #36
Nosauz

64bit was refering to NEO GEO, bascially the arcade machine for your home. Basically way better than sega/nintendo, and far more japanese than either of those systems. I mean bubble trouble, sfII were all on neo geo first and really it deserves to be in the argument between consoles of 90s
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-16, 13:30   Link #37
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Js2756
Yet there was still music on the SNES. Not sure what you're trying to argue here. The sample based sound system in the SNES still gives it more versatility than the FM synth system of the Genesis
*sighs*

Samples pieces of recorded sound. The SNES chip gets those samples, which contains the exact information to reproduce the sound.

An FM synthesizer does not need samples, only notes relayed as MIDI data. Due to this it can reproduce every note without being limited by available samples.

It's like comparing a CD player with an orchestra. This is why the Mega Drive's sound chip still has a unique quality versus more recent sound chips. Mind you, it's the same thing with the NES, Master System, Game Boy, and other systems that use FM chips.
Quote:
I'll also take the additional channels and vastly larger amount of SRAM in the SNES over the Genesis any day.
The other parts are subpar, though. Why do you think chips like the SuperFX were used in cartridges?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157
Also, they messed up badly with Saturn since there was no Japanese RPGs thanks to Bernie Stolar....
Funny you should say that, because in the beginning, the Saturn got all the RPGs (in Japan), while Sony put up its nose and said it didn't want RPGs on its system. That changed, of course.
Old 2009-12-16, 14:01   Link #38
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Funny you should say that, because in the beginning, the Saturn got all the RPGs (in Japan), while Sony put up its nose and said it didn't want RPGs on its system. That changed, of course.
I forgot to mention the US. With the US Saturn release, there are no RPGs since of the "no RPG policy" by Bernie Stolar since most RPGs were 2D... funny thing is that Final Fantasy VII was a 3D RPG and was highly successful. Was not referring to the Japanese release of the Saturn or their game releases.

Of course it was too late since they have already done damage to the system reputation and there's no going back.

Last edited by chikorita157; 2009-12-16 at 14:16.
chikorita157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-16, 15:15   Link #39
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
64bit was refering to NEO GEO, bascially the arcade machine for your home. Basically way better than sega/nintendo, and far more japanese than either of those systems. I mean bubble trouble, sfII were all on neo geo first and really it deserves to be in the argument between consoles of 90s
I am fairly certain that Street Fighter II have never been developped for the MVS, the Neo Geo system. I mean, rip-offs like Art of Fighting have spawned during the 2d fighter boom for a reason.
Old 2009-12-16, 15:19   Link #40
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
I say time is the best judge. Who won eventually? Was he inferior in parts to the opponent? Even if yes, he still won at an average.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote