AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2009-02-02, 12:13   Link #21
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
I cant even voice how much i veto Keanu Reeves as Spike as a matter a fact i veto Cowboy Bebop live action all together. It seems like since Hollywood has ruined everything else they now want to tap into the anime scene. Classics like Akira and Cowboy Bebop i feel just can not be done well, especially Akira.
Old 2009-02-02, 13:16   Link #22
AnimeTheme
MJ - Forever King of Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
All things being equal though, the fact that Reeves will star means that this movie (unlike DB-movie) might actually get the budget to be a truly amazing film...
I agree. At least we can be ensured that this won't be some kind of B or even C-tier production like most Anime live action movies were.

Check out my Windows gadget gallery!

AnimeTheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 15:42   Link #23
james0246

^I'm not really worried about the budget (besides one or two space battles/space ship races, and a few locations set pieces (surface of mars, etc), there isn't really that much budget needed for the special effects). This isn't "The Matrix" were you need 360 shots (which cost a shitload of money) or an immersive world like the recent "Speed Racer" film (which only had green screens and live-action actors).

My biggest concern is the Smoking. Spike, Jet and Faye have to smoke, they wouldn't be themselves without the plume of smoke from a recently fired pistol or a recently lit cigarette.

That being said, "Cowboy Bebop" already borrows so much from American/French cinema that the conversion from anime to a live-action American film will not be that hard, especially considering that the cast, besides Faye (and maybe Ed), has no real nationality that needs to be worried about.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 16:10   Link #24
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
That being said, "Cowboy Bebop" already borrows so much from American/French cinema that the conversion from anime to a live-action American film will not be that hard, especially considering that the cast, besides Faye (and maybe Ed), has no real nationality that needs to be worried about.
This is Hollywood we're talking about. I wasn't serious (well, not very ) when I insisted on having a Singaporean play Faye, because all it would take is the stroke of a pen to turn her into a spoilt brat from, say, Orange County. And, oh, she'd probably be blonde too. Brunette, maybe, if we're lucky.

Since when did Hollywood care about preserving the integrity of the original source material? Ring and Ring 2 anyone?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-05, 23:18   Link #25
StoneCloud

I am very skeptical of this adaptation only because of Keanu Reaves as Spike. Though Keanu was amazing in the Matrix, I just can't see him pulling off the bad ass bounty hunter that Spike is. Keanu's best role is where he is the dumb messiah, like he was in the Matrix. I seriously doubt if he can play a character with so much depth as Spike. Though the only good thing with Keanu is that you know that the action scenes will be well done.

In general they better cast the other characters well. I could kinda see Mickey Rourke as Jet, sort of. While I have no conceptions for who would play Fay or Ed. If the director has any sense, I hope he sticks to the plot of the Anime. The plot is so rich as it is that they really don't need to come up with their own thing. I can guarantee that they will choose to revolve the film around Spike and his involvement with the Sindicate. Hopefully they will bring in Vicious as a villain and keep the basic plot line the same. I do understand though that they will not be able to focus on the smaller story arcs that are in the Anime and they will probably skimp on back story for most of the characters except Spike (that is unless they make Fay or Jet into characters that the storyline hinges on).

I hope to god this adaptation is good, because the Anime is one of the greatest ever made. I hope I can be pleasantly surprised when I eventually get to see the film.
StoneCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 01:21   Link #26
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King

Well Ideally, they should base it on the Spike five....

I cant remember where, but I think its was mentioned they were going to base it around the first ep, the one about the drug smuggling...

Hollywood for you...
Waking_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 01:50   Link #27
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
I vote Common for Jet.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 12:56   Link #28
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaya View Post
I vote Common for Jet.
I would cast Robert Duvall as Jet if it were back in his younger years.
Old 2009-02-06, 19:38   Link #29
Solafighter
Hige

As a Cowboy Bebop fanatic, i will for sure watch the movie. Looking forward to it, how it will turn out.

In the case, the movie would be worse, i will pretend i never watched, nor excisted it.
Old 2009-02-07, 00:29   Link #30
Samari
World's Greatest

Sounds like a terrible idea with Hollywood just trying to make another quick buck.

Keanu Reeves is already 44 years old. Not saying that he couldn't pull off a character that is 27, but that is something that would bother me a little bit. If Reeves was around that age level I wouldn't mind too much.

I just don't see the problems with getting a bunch of unknown to semi-known actors and actresses to play the parts if this was a serious attempt at making a movie adaption. As long as they can act. But since Reeves could be cast that just reinforces the notion that Hollywood is just trying to make a quick buck...and that means that the writing is probably going to suck and no real attempt at getting the pieces to fit the original idea of what the anime encompasses will be made. Another bad side effect of capitalism.

On a personal note I wouldn't mind Maggie Q trying out for the role of Faye Valentine. I think she's a decent actress that can pull off the look.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 09:06   Link #31
Gordy Lechance

Spike is a coarse badass without any softness.

Keanu, unfortunately, still has a too sweet and too kind "baby face" to play somebody this cold and cynical.

Frankly, Johnny Depp, or better yet John Cusack would be a better choice.
Old 2009-02-07, 18:27   Link #32
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy Lechance View Post

Keanu, unfortunately, still has a too sweet and too kind "baby face" to play somebody this cold and cynical.

*high fives*
Is exactly who I was thinking of if they hadn't casted the main character. Well, let's see how well keanu's acting skills wil prove out to be. Maybe he'll surprise us all...

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-09, 07:55   Link #33
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Ah,so there IS a thread about this! Time for my assessment then
1.It's true than Keanu Reeves has never played any role besides the dark type, but hey, Jimmy Carrey had been a comedy man and still pulled a 23 pretty well. Thing is, Spike's hair is totally different (thank god there are capable stylists to fix that) and Spike is a bit more white, with different cheeks, and wears blue, and I've never seen mister Reeves in anything than black.
I'm not too worried about Jet, there are many actors who would fit the role well.I agree with Faye been from Singapore, but what about Ed? Is there anyone capable of performing such a role on this planet?:O
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-09, 09:46   Link #34
Gordy Lechance

Not to mention that if they cast Ed accurately (IE. correct age), Child Welfare organisations in the current conservative America would have an absolute field day suing the filmmakers for putting a girl this young in a movie as dark and violent as this one.
Old 2009-02-09, 10:12   Link #35
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Does anyone have a grasp on the movie's plot? Maybe they could leave Ed out of it, she doesn't get much action overall so I think they can get away with it.
Old 2009-02-09, 14:33   Link #36
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy Lechance View Post

You obviously haven't seen Constantine. I don't think you can get acting that's any more cynical than that.

Depending on how they write the script, I think Keanu Reeves is a fine choice. People gotta stop being so picky. I can't see any possibility that everyone will be happy about the movie, and since it's Hollywood the anime-to-movie translation is bound to be a bit rocky.
Old 2009-02-09, 14:35   Link #37
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Depending on how they write the script, I think Keanu Reeves is a fine choice. People gotta stop being so picky. I can't see any possibility that everyone will be happy about the movie, and since it's Hollywood the anime-to-movie translation is bound to be a bit rocky.
Compared to the DB live action movie this will be a masterpiece, no doubt...
Old 2009-02-09, 14:36   Link #38
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Compared to the DB live action movie this will be a masterpiece, no doubt...
Rofl, I can't argue with that. I'm not even sure if I'm going to even waste my time seeing the DBZ one. I'll wait until reviews come out.
Old 2009-02-09, 15:16   Link #39
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
Sounds like a terrible idea with Hollywood just trying to make another quick buck.

Keanu Reeves is already 44 years old. Not saying that he couldn't pull off a character that is 27, but that is something that would bother me a little bit. If Reeves was around that age level I wouldn't mind too much.

I just don't see the problems with getting a bunch of unknown to semi-known actors and actresses to play the parts if this was a serious attempt at making a movie adaption. As long as they can act. But since Reeves could be cast that just reinforces the notion that Hollywood is just trying to make a quick buck...and that means that the writing is probably going to suck and no real attempt at getting the pieces to fit the original idea of what the anime encompasses will be made. Another bad side effect of capitalism.

On a personal note I wouldn't mind Maggie Q trying out for the role of Faye Valentine. I think she's a decent actress that can pull off the look.

I wouldnt mind her either she got some of the same features as Faye Faye. Even though i would still rather not see the movie made at all.
Old 2009-02-09, 19:55   Link #40
OutSmart
Comic Relief

Hmm

to who says johny depp would be a good spike, well.. before I knew the movie wqas gonna get done I saw fan arts useing depp as spike and some other actors as some fake cast and I actually like the ideia.. the thing is, you ever imagined johny depp fight? He doesnt fight in movies.. and I mean cool ooking kung-fu style fighting and not drunken master caribbean pirate style.

Plus, keanu does look like spike, he doesnt look like a coloured drawing but hey, he's a pretty damn good human spike if you ask me. About his acting, I've seen from GREAT to shoot me now, but I believe that he may pull it off, he has the skills, he just has to work hard.

And as someone said, keanu had that cynical humour in constantine more or less well pulled of, so, as I said, its possible that he may be a good spike.

As for bad or good script, well, the creator is working with them to be sure they dont rape his master piece, if they fail at that point it's on him. I'll cry if the movie sucks, but fuck it, now that I know its gonna get made better be optimistic and wait for a great outcome.

As for Ed I read sumthin like "maybe they should cut Ed out on this one" and well...I agree..

NOT!!!!

I mean seriously, talking about killing cowboy bebop... I know that finding a match for odd Ed will probably be one of the most challenging tasks for this movie to move on but Ed must be there, the Bebop Crew must all be there... thats why it's a cowboy bebop movie. It needs the moody, melancholic and dark ambience but it also need the cool jazz beats and the "mushroom samba" like scenes.

As for Faye, main thing is getting a good actress that is also as hot as god can make'em. She must be able to pull that agressive atittude of hers and also that embarassed and frustrated look when she needs spike or other members of the crew to get her out of trouble.

As for Jet.. well.. I rly havent though about him much, I think its not that hard to find a good match for that character.

As for Ein, I will quote my self and say "they better not choose a frekin golden retriever that plays rugby or I'll go super sayan 99999999999999999 on them"

Well, to sum this all up, they must:
-Not screw up (this is major I guess ^^)
-find a good cast
-make a hell of a plot, a fan dedicated plot, deep and immersive, that shows the universe we were introduced to with the series and that made us all fall in love.
-Aim for master piece of the year over shitty blockbuster (this will be the hardest for'em "must.. make.. money... must.. rape... fans off")

Tags
live-action, movie