AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Steins;Gate

Notices

View Poll Results: Steins;Gate - Episode 22 Rating
Perfect 10 146 81.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 27 15.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 3 1.67%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 1.11%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.56%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.56%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-30, 15:32   Link #21
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoned Away View Post
Wasn't she one of the reasons why the war/dictatorship/whatever-it-was started during Suzuha's arc? I could be wrong, my memory certainly isn't what it used to be.
In Suzuha's original timeline, she was considered the mother of the time machine, and indirectly the reason for why SERN was able to create a dystopia, yes. This World War III stuff is new, so we're looking at a different bad timeline now.
Old 2011-08-30, 15:33   Link #22
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

The original John Titor was trying to prevent World War III, John Titor disappeared from the year 2000 after Okabe sent the original D-mail. Yeah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
SERN is no longer the issue. It is a "WWIII" which will be explained in the next episode.

Anyway, a very good composition and direction in the script, dealing quite well the plight between Okabe and Kurisu.
I'm however a bit disappointed they were stingy on the budget for this episode, leading to a lot "underwhelmed" expressions from both Okabe and Kurisu, while the voice acting was definitely on spot with the mood (which leads some sort of incompatibility feelings).
If there definitely is one thing I wish this anime had is just more budget. But still the directing is pretty top notch otherwise.
Old 2011-08-30, 15:33   Link #23
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoned Away View Post
Wasn't she one of the reasons why the war/dictatorship/whatever-it-was started during Suzuha's arc? I could be wrong, my memory certainly isn't what it used to be.
Suzuha explained that Kurisu was the one who completed the time machine for SERN, but she never knew the circumstances of it.
The numerous occurences with Moeka and the rounders demonstrate that they captured her and forced her to make the time machine for them.
Old 2011-08-30, 15:33   Link #24
GDB

Quote:
SERN is no longer the issue. It is a "WWIII" which will be explained in the next episode.
Unless some random third party shows up out of nowhere, I still have to believe it's SERN. We've seen Suzuha fighting in what appears to be a very war-torn time, so it wouldn't be surprising for an actual war to have happened.
Old 2011-08-30, 15:35   Link #25
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Kurisu is such a wonderful heroine. She's the first VN heroine in a while (and possibly of all time) that I feel fully deserves her position as the main heroine. Although I do like the other characters as well (Mayuri in particular), it's clear none of them can hold a candle to her.

Loved her tsundere reaction after kissing Okabe <3

If anyone's curious as to why I didn't rate this 10, it's related to what Okabe said in this episode: all that time travel has made me numb to "sad scenes" in this anime, since they can be erased with the push of a button. The goodbye scene was well done, but I didn't believe for a second that they'd never see each other again and that Kurisu would remain dead, so there wasn't much of an emotional impact for me.

Suzuha's call was a nice twist. The beta timeline is apparently even worse than the alpha. Only two episodes left to search for a way to reach a gamma world line, that seems a little short.
Old 2011-08-30, 15:35   Link #26
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Unless some random third party shows up out of nowhere, I still have to believe it's SERN. We've seen Suzuha fighting in what appears to be a very war-torn time, so it wouldn't be surprising for an actual war to have happened.
The thing is that SERN would lead a dictatorship due to their complete control over time travel whatsoever, meaning they can control nearly everything (hence why Suzuha says "dystopia").
But in the Beta World Line, Suzuha explicitely used "WWIII" which, as Reckoner stated, matches the BWL John Titor's objective to save the world from WWIII.
That alone spells clearly that in the Beta line, it is a complete global crisis, not simply SERN being the king of the hill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Kurisu is such a wonderful heroine. She's the first VN heroine in a while (and possibly of all time) that I feel fully deserves her position as the main heroine. Although I do like the other characters as well (Mayuri in particular), it's clear none of them can hold a candle to her.
There are a lot of VN having the almighty "default heroine for good reasons" point
Old 2011-08-30, 15:39   Link #27
Demoned Away

Man I really need to get my hands on a copy of the visual novel. Too bad I'm broke at the moment lol.

I'm really excited for the last two episodes!
Old 2011-08-30, 15:49   Link #28
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
The first episode I have rated a 10 for years.
To hell with logic, and critical thinking, this is 10/10 on emotional value mostly.
Excatly the same. That's what I call a masterpiece.

OkabeXKurisu :333333333333333333333 !!
Old 2011-08-30, 15:55   Link #29
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Okay, I've talked about how the romance is perfect and really evokes my emotion, now it's time to get to the technical stuff. First of all, let me get the timeline straight.

Alpha Timeline:
In 2010, as we see in this episode: SERN data erased -> SERN never knew of Okabe's Lab -> They're not captured, Mayuri isn't killed.

This leads to a future in 2034, where they never captured Kurisu to build them a time machine that enables them to create a dystopia. This gives Daru enough time to build a perfect time machine (he's the one that built it for Suzuha, right?). With a faultless time machine, Suzuha easily travels to 2010 to meet his Dad, and further back in time to provide Okabe with IBN machine to ensure that all these things come to pass.

Also, because Suzuha's time machine is perfect this time, it didn't crash to building and consequently didn't cause Kurisu to not die. Her being dead is also the cause for SERN being unable to finish their time machine in time. It's a bit confusing, but so far it still makes sense and not create a paradox, everything is still in a stable time loop. Okabe's D-Mail causes a Beta timeline, but he's retracing his steps to undo everything to revert things back to the Alpha timeline, so in the it didn't make a difference (except for Okabe, who remembers everything perfectly).

Most of the things are pretty much tied up, and if I don't know better I thought the series will end this episode, in this bittersweet note - except for the phone call at the end (I have to admit, I was a little bit disappointed when I heard Suzuha's voice - was hoping it to be Kurisu) saying things about WW III.

I think this is something not present in either Alpha or Beta, so could this be a Gamma timeline? What exactly caused this line, and how much does it affect things? What must Okabe do to prevent this, and how will it cause a stable time loop this time? Does this mean that there's hope that Kurisu's fate isn't immutable this time, that she can be saved (God, I really hope so)? Two episodes left, I really hope there's enough time to answer all these questions...
Old 2011-08-30, 15:55   Link #30
viperdk1
The Colour of Magic

Wow. Just...wow.

I'm still holding back tears.

If it was possible to give 11 out of 10, this would be the only episode to get it.

Absolutely fantastic chemistry between Kurisu and Okabe throughout the anime - and just before that 1%...well, Okabe surely should know what she was going to say.

As someone has said earlier, never have I seen two characters seemingly made for each other - least of all in an anime that is almost the antithesis of a romance anime.

To the producers, White Fox, take a bow - you more than deserve the plaudits.

EDIT: By the way, what was the music for the ending?
Old 2011-08-30, 15:57   Link #31
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
This leads to a future in 2034, where they never captured Kurisu to build them a time machine that enables them to create a dystopia. This gives Daru enough time to build a perfect time machine (he's the one that built it for Suzuha, right?). With a faultless time machine, Suzuha easily travels to 2010 to meet his Dad, and further back in time to provide Okabe with IBN machine to ensure that all these things come to pass.
Remember that since they -changed- the world line, Suzuha does not have to return in 1975 in the Beta World Line (that timeline where Kurisu dies), since in that timeline, there isn't even any need of a IBN5100.
The IBN5100 was only a requirement for the Future Gadget Lab to switch from Alpha to Beta world line. Once they changed the world line, they do not need it anymore, and the said timeline doesn't reflect such need either.

Remember that for some reason, the story doesn't use Alpha and Beta meaning as they usually are: the original time line is the [Beta] one (Kurisu dies in that timeline), while the timeline we had from Episode 1 up to now is the [Alpha] one (Mayuri dies in that timeline).

Quote:
I think this is something not present in either Alpha or Beta, so could this be a Gamma timeline?
No that isn't another timeline. Remember that we never saw anything past the first day and so the first D-mail for the Beta world line. If Okabe didn't get caught by SERN with the first D-mail or didn't use it, things would have turned the same way.
Old 2011-08-30, 15:59   Link #32
Jean Claymore
Former #9

ROFLMAO, What the F**k is this WWIII thing? Don't tell me their running into more dilemmas after they got back on the track of beta worldline having saved Mayuri... I mean come on, it's only 2 eps left and this last ep kinda gave us the "predictive and typical ending". Jeez, and I was questioning to myself how would they end up the series when the ending theme was running...

No wonder this is Steins;Gate... Damn, everything's out of personalities and coherences which it leads to its unique color into it So, we waiting this WWIII prevention mission to step in in Robotic;Note? I mean it 'cause this is totally a different arc compared to this main plot time machine stuff in S;G.

As to the ep overall impression, I can't really say it was that great... Well, the ending was pretty much the predicted Kurisu's death what we have been discussing all the time and last few eps' been way too emotional. 8/10...

EDIT: Just a quick question... wasn't the time machine supposed NOT to be created when Okabe deleted the SERN's database? The time machine was created by Kurisu, so I wonder how did Suzahu managed to time travel back to 2010.
Old 2011-08-30, 16:04   Link #33
LeoXiao
思想工作

In the Alpha TL, wasn't SERN able to take control precisely because WW3 happened? And is the point of Suzuha's phone call to tell Okabe that Kurisu has to die to prevent this WW3 (and with it, the SERN takeover), thus going to the Beta TL?
Old 2011-08-30, 16:23   Link #34
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Claymore View Post
ROFLMAO, What the F**k is this WWIII thing? Don't tell me their running into more dilemmas after they got back on the track of beta worldline having saved Mayuri... I mean come on, it's only 2 eps left and this last ep kinda gave us the "predictive and typical ending". Jeez, and I was questioning to myself how would they end up the series when the ending theme was running...

No wonder this is Steins;Gate...
Timeline where Kurisutina dies = WW3
Timeline where Tutturu dies = SERN rules.
Constants = #1 Suzuha is John Connor Titor. #2 Daru build the time machine. #3 Okabe have Reading Steiner.
Going from 3 to 2, this meant that Daru had been able to build a time machine partially thanks to Okabe.
Steins gate had been able to stay consistant.
Old 2011-08-30, 16:23   Link #35
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Claymore View Post
EDIT: Just a quick question... wasn't the time machine supposed NOT to be created when Okabe deleted the SERN's database? The time machine was created by Kurisu, so I wonder how did Suzahu managed to time travel back to 2010.
Remember that the "prototype" of the time machine was created by Daru. Moreso, it was daru who created the FG204 to begin with.
Kurisu managed to create the time machine for SERN because she was involved with Daru's works back at the future gadget lab period.
Therefore, even if the timeline changed, it isn't surprising that daru somehow managed to make a time machine in the beta world line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
In the Alpha TL, wasn't SERN able to take control precisely because WW3 happened? And is the point of Suzuha's phone call to tell Okabe that Kurisu has to die to prevent this WW3 (and with it, the SERN takeover), thus going to the Beta TL?
No. Suzuha clearly stated that SERN took the complete control of the world on 2036, back in the Alpha world line (episode 15).
Old 2011-08-30, 16:32   Link #36
Crontica

As for episode 22 i also watched the extra scene beyond the ED, now i finally went to read the steins gate spoilers on Tvtropes, one particular spoiler made my jaw drop, must be the Ceti Timeline no matter how much you think about it...
Old 2011-08-30, 16:35   Link #37
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny

This episode...my tears...they won't stop flowing...

The romantic development between Okabe and Kurisu is just fantastic. They feel so real and so meant for each other...

But its not over yet...Suzuha returns, and she asks Okabe to stop WW3 from happening.
Old 2011-08-30, 16:41   Link #38
Jean Claymore
Former #9

Quote:
Remember that the "prototype" of the time machine was created by Daru. Moreso, it was daru who created the FG204 to begin with.
Kurisu managed to create the time machine for SERN because she was involved with Daru's works back at the future gadget lab period.
Therefore, even if the timeline changed, it isn't surprising that daru somehow managed to make a time machine in the beta world line.
While agreed in some points.... I don't know if this has any coherencies, but didn't Okabe just get rid of that Phone Microwave? Correct me if I'm wrong, but as long as I can remember Okabe did assist Daru to create the time machine in the other timeline too, and since Kurisu dies in the beta worldline, it could only mean Daru created the time machine all by himself. Yes, it wouldn't be surprising if Daru created one in the future with no assists since he's the "Super Hacker", but from my viewpoints, his works could have been way more difficult to achieve since he would have been short-handed because of the lack of this 'worty' assistants.
Old 2011-08-30, 16:49   Link #39
Dop
Mmmm....

What? What?! WHAT!!!??!!

They got me good and proper. "Oh", I thought, "Is this the final episode then?" - then the end credits, and... WHAT!!!!?!!?!

I am completely gobsmacked. My flabber has never been so gasted...

Whatever next?
Old 2011-08-30, 17:06   Link #40
Midonin
Last Engage

S;G 22 - Children of tomorrow spinning out a future

I should've known from the color palette all along. Light on jokes, and if Hououin Kyouma is gone, as bravado as he was, I enjoyed his performance, so I won't say much beyond the episode was well put together, and I look forward to the climax. Hopefully there won't be as much of a delay next time. It's been a fun ride.
Closed Thread