AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-10-05, 18:04   Link #3521
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
There is a difference between trying to save the world only to die, and being told that the world would be exactly where it is in the end if Shepard never existed.

The Mass Effect world did not need Shepard. The ME3 ending proved that it was a waste of time for the Eden Prime incident to be investigated.
Now, that's a fallacy. If Shepard didn't exist, everything would simply continue as it always had before and the cycles wouldn't stop. The choices would not have presented themselves.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 18:09   Link #3522
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

And the choices proved that Shepard's efforts were futile anyway. Refuse ending is just everyone dies, next cycle people pick a color. No Shepard for them, still made choice.
Old 2012-10-05, 21:49   Link #3523
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
http://images.wikia.com/masseffect/i...on_content.jpg

Data mining through the latest patch has found that 4 of the 16 characters that are added by Retaliation are Volus.

Volus Adept
Volus Engineer
Volus Sentinel
Volus Vanguard

... I AM A BIOTIC GOD!

Oh, missing from the picture is the Quarian Marksman (a Male Quarian Soldier) and the Turian Havoc (Soldier) and Ghost (Infiltrator), as well as the Collector AR.

Last edited by Tokkan; 2012-10-05 at 22:03.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 22:36   Link #3524
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Now, that's a fallacy. If Shepard didn't exist, everything would simply continue as it always had before and the cycles wouldn't stop. The choices would not have presented themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
And the choices proved that Shepard's efforts were futile anyway. Refuse ending is just everyone dies, next cycle people pick a color. No Shepard for them, still made choice.
Yep. In the Refusal Ending when everyone died, Bioware told us that the next cycle would have triggered the three colours just as before. It made zero difference what Shepard did or did not do. Thus he never needed to have done anything.
Old 2012-10-05, 23:34   Link #3525
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Quote:
Yep. In the Refusal Ending when everyone died, Bioware told us that the next cycle would have triggered the three colours just as before. It made zero difference what Shepard did or did not do. Thus he never needed to have done anything.
The next cycle was only broken because of the events in the series, not in spite of them - Liara's time-capsule being a major point of interest. No Shepard, no broken cycle, even generations later.

Old 2012-10-06, 00:56   Link #3526
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

And what's the point as far as players are concerned? "Well, you're fucked, and everyone you know and care about is fucked, but hey, nameless, featureless people waaaaaaaaay in the future like your futile struggles and picked a goddamn color to invoke spaaaaaace magic!"

No one gives a shit about the future cycle. They wanted their current cycle to win in the way they wanted, with all the little details. Instead, they got a color choice or a big "Fuck you" from the developers.
Old 2012-10-06, 07:46   Link #3527
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
No again the twitter post told us the next cycle "used the citadel" they didn't mention how it was used or anything about picking one of the same 3 choices again.

The final outcome (what the stargazer implies) is that the reapers where defeated with the knowledge left behind in archives which means as BetoJR mentioned without shepards involvement the cycle would never have been broken.

Its a awful ending overall but those are the cards we've been dealt.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 11:04   Link #3528
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Yeap. And we shouldn't assume everyone's felt personally slighted, as some might imply. I didn't much care for the original endings, myself, but I did not let that fact ruin my own experience, in the end... Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Old 2012-10-06, 12:39   Link #3529
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
The only good thing the Extended Cut really did was dispel the "indoctrination theory" which was even more pretentious hipster bullshit than the original endings.

Personally I'm of the opinion that the Control ending works out reasonably well, Shepard becoming an effective god and all.

Destroy is still one of those "no, just no" things unless you both chose the quarians over the geth and you hate EDI, you evil person you. Synthesis is still "wut."

Wasted potential really, but I can't stay angry forever, and the Control ending is "decent enough" that it's not worth raging hard over anymore.

Regarding Greg and Ray's departure, I'm sure ME3's ending controversy, combined with SWTOR going free to play gave EA enough leverage to force the two out of the company, destroying EA's last barriers to complete and utter domination of Bioware. I doubt very, very seriously that they quit because the fans were too "harsh."

No, most likely they quit because EA would have done something much worse to them. Even in that article it states that Ray was being harassed and trashed by EA management for SWTOR.
Old 2012-10-06, 18:40   Link #3530
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Which is laughably hypocritical, considering that EA has a rather large history of meddling and ruining franchises when doing so. And guess when Bioware games started to go downhill?

On ME3 endings... all I wanted was a nice cutscene in the deny ending in which all the races you got to join threw themselves at the reapers. Win or lose, I don't care, but that'd be epic.

But eh, I've had my rage. Bioware isn't budging on this, and it really doesn't change how good the rest of the game and the two predecessors are. Given the fried nature of my 360, I'll probably buy the PS3 bundle sometime in the future.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 19:09   Link #3531
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I thought they got out because they sold out their company, made their millions, and couldn't take the flak from what used to be an adoring fan base. But, I've been told I can be overly cynical (ignoring that level of cynicism has no bearing on whether something is true or not).

Also, I liked the ME 3 ending. Haven't played the EC DLC yet. From what I've heard, it doesn't change the ending. Just adds more closure. I'm not sure I have the energy to play through the game again for a few more cutscenes.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 19:13   Link #3532
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

I've no sympathy for anyone who gets into bed with EA they should be fully aware of what they've let themselves in for.

I'm pretty much done with the ME franchise now, I enjoyed the journey but the destination just sucked so much that it soured the whole experience for me and I just cant bring myself to even play through ME3 for a second time knowing how stupidly awful the ending is.

I bought every scrap of dlc for the first two games (even the silly appearance packs) but they're not getting a shred of my cash for ME3 DLC, theres better games coming out that I could spend it on.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 19:27   Link #3533
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Wonder what Bioware and EA will do next? They got to do something for fans to get rid of the aftertaste of the ending of Mass Effect 3.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 19:43   Link #3534
Key Board
Carbon

they already did something.. it's called the Extended Cut DLC

still angry? still want something done?

here's my advice: move on

at this point everyone who still have issues have either left for other games, or are staying to play multiplayer
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 19:48   Link #3535
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Pretty hard to move on for some people, me in general I have some issues in the beginning, but easy for me to move on since I got a double major to worry about. To move would mean something else would need to grab people's attention which I do not doubt when it hits November and everyone's wallet pretty much spent with big games in that Month. Guess we can call November Thanksgiving for both food and games.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 20:37   Link #3536
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
Wonder what Bioware and EA will do next? They got to do something for fans to get rid of the aftertaste of the ending of Mass Effect 3.
They will do as much as what former Westwood is doing. Nothing at all other than F2P games.
Old 2012-10-07, 00:50   Link #3537
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Yea. I'd say Bioware is going to be completely unrecognizable from the pre-EA days within a few more years.

Daniel Erickson left Bioware as well, and I was surprised (but, strangely heartened), to see him tweet this: [url]https://twitter.com/DanielAErickson/status/253655561172840448[/url

I view Kickstarter with a great deal of skepticism, but I wonder if crowd-sourced funding is the only viable path to getting big games that haven't had their souls sucked out by corporate suits again.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 03:18   Link #3538
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
They're working on Dragon Age III. Preliminary presentations seem to imply that they've started listening to the fanbase, but I remain cautious.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 03:36   Link #3539
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well we can always hope EA gets tired of sucking the quality out of games and Bioware can bounce back with DA3 .

With Mass Effect, I really do just expect a cheap shooter coming out in a few years. Laying the foundation with ME3's multiplayer, so probably just a matter of time.
Old 2012-10-07, 04:01   Link #3540
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
They're working on Dragon Age III. Preliminary presentations seem to imply that they've started listening to the fanbase, but I remain cautious.
Not just DA3, they're also working on a new Mass Effect game and a brand new IP.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
effect, games, mass