AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-09-11, 21:04   Link #34721
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYouSaber View Post
The scary thing for me is I actually honestly don't know if I should believe that the 21st Century Business Herald website did go to obtain protection fees. On the one hand, such practices would not be unheard of in China, but on the other hand though, could this be a ploy to damage the reputation of Business Herald so that no one believes in its stories on the negative sides of companies? Added to the fact that the Southern Media Group runs a quite outspoken newspaper in southern China, so I don't know if this is a warning from the Chinese government that the Group would be well advised to keep a lower profile.
My thought exactly. I don't know who to believe, both sides are equally "credible".
Old 2014-09-11, 21:33   Link #34722
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYouSaber View Post
The scary thing for me is I actually honestly don't know if I should believe that the 21st Century Business Herald website did go to obtain protection fees. On the one hand, such practices would not be unheard of in China, but on the other hand though, could this be a ploy to damage the reputation of Business Herald so that no one believes in its stories on the negative sides of companies? Added to the fact that the Southern Media Group runs a quite outspoken newspaper in southern China, so I don't know if this is a warning from the Chinese government that the Group would be well advised to keep a lower profile.
That shows how no one is really innocent there, unfortunately, although I would take side with the newspaper here. Southern Media Group would have been better off letting cats out of the bag as demanded by their job instead of taking the money, which opened the door for the authorities to intervene.
Old 2014-09-12, 01:57   Link #34723
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I thought "don't be too hard on those who buy full page ads" was something every paper did...
Old 2014-09-12, 13:36   Link #34724
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Right on my doorstep.

Malaysian man took Singaporean family to join Syria jihadists: Report

Quote:
A 37-year-old Penang-born man has taken his Singaporean family to Syria where they are believed to be in different locations fighting alongside jihadists or supporting them.

His Singaporean wife was a 47-year-old widow who had a daughter and a son - aged 18 and 14 - from a previous marriage, The Star newspaper reported on Friday.

The report quoted sources as saying the family went to Syria in November, but did not stay together.

"The authorities believe the man joined the Jabhat Al-Nusra group and his stepson the IS (Islamic State),'' the sources told the newspaper. IS is also known as the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS).

"The wife worked as a cook while the daughter taught English to the children of the fighters in Syria," one source was quoted as saying.

The family members are believed to be in different parts of Syria, according to the newspaper. One possible location is east Hama, where jihadists are known to have set up a base of operations.

Authorities are keeping close tab on the family and trying to find out how they were influenced to go to Syria, said the report. The sources said the authorities believe their decision had to do with the woman's former husband.

In July, Singapore's Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean disclosed in parliament that several Singaporeans are among 12,000 foreigners taking part in the armed conflict in Syria, including a couple of parents who had taken along their children

Among the "handful" of Singaporeans is said to be a woman who went with her foreign husband and their two teenage children.

"The whole family is taking part in the conflict in various ways, either joining the terrorist groups to fight, or providing aid and support to the fighters," said Mr Teo, who is also Singapore's Home Affairs Minister.

Another man, Haja Fakkurudeen Usman Ali, 37, took with him his wife and three children between the ages of two and 11. He is a Singapore citizen who was an Indian national, the Home Affairs Ministry had said in March when announcing that he was under investigation.

Several other Singaporeans had planned to join the conflict but were detained before they could set off, and some others were under investigation, said Mr Teo.

The Star newspaper had earlier reported that five former Internal Security Act detainees are among 40 Malaysians who have joined the militants.

The five named include 45-year-old former Kedah PAS Youth information chief Mohd Lotfi Ariffin, who was injured in an attack which killed the youngest Malaysian jihadist in Syria on Tuesday. Mohammad Fadhlan Shahidi Mohammad Khir, 21, from Kedah was the second Malaysian jihadist to be killed in Syria.

The first Malaysian militant to die in Syria was Abu Turob, 52, who was killed during an attack by tanks and snipers on Aug 19.

In Putrajaya, Malaysian Home Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi called on Malaysians to reject extremist views and protect the country's image. He said the actions of a few individuals did not reflect the true nature of the country and its people.

"We don't want Malaysia to be presumed internationally as a breeding ground for terrorists (and) we must protect the image of our religion and country based on the principle of moderation or wasatiyyah.

"This principle has to be defended by all citizens. We have to avoid being extreme left or extreme right."
and :

Malaysia militants aimed to create Islamic state across S-E Asia, including Singapore: Police

Seriously, let them go, and make sure they burn the passports so they don't come back.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2014-09-12, 21:41   Link #34725
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Seriously, let them go, and make sure they burn the passports so they don't come back.
I agree. Some people in Canada also believe our government should strip the bastards of their Canadian citizenship from the moment they commit themselves into those radical organizations.

The first thing any country should do is to erase those people from any citizenship registry if they are foolish enough to get into this shit. The last thing people want is to see those SOBs coming back. Fuck 'em!
Old 2014-09-12, 23:23   Link #34726
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Agree with it in this situation, but i guess the constitution kinda prevented this kind of provoking citizenship to happen.

Mostly on conspiracy, but for example in US they can argue that Obama will brand NRA as terrorists organisation and provoke citizenship of all their member, making them unable to challenge his position and decision. Which is silly of course, but there are worse conspiracy out there that works with public mass
Old 2014-09-13, 02:36   Link #34727
JokerD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
I agree. Some people in Canada also believe our government should strip the bastards of their Canadian citizenship from the moment they commit themselves into those radical organizations.

The first thing any country should do is to erase those people from any citizenship registry if they are foolish enough to get into this shit. The last thing people want is to see those SOBs coming back. Fuck 'em!
While in broad terms I go agree with the stripping of citizenship for radicals, I do think that it is a slippery slope to go. Would you strip people who were tricked or forced into going? People who repented? Will there be a court of law that decides this? Or can the gov strip citizenship from anyone who joins a cause that the gov doesn't like?

BTW, I'm no expert but I'm not aware of any constitution that prohibits this. Well in my country (SG) with the ruling government having a super-majority in parliament, they can just change the constitution anyway (except for specific clauses where they need to put it to a vote, which to my knowledge never happened since independence before)
Old 2014-09-13, 03:05   Link #34728
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
While in broad terms I go agree with the stripping of citizenship for radicals, I do think that it is a slippery slope to go. Would you strip people who were tricked or forced into going? People who repented? Will there be a court of law that decides this? Or can the gov strip citizenship from anyone who joins a cause that the gov doesn't like?

BTW, I'm no expert but I'm not aware of any constitution that prohibits this. Well in my country (SG) with the ruling government having a super-majority in parliament, they can just change the constitution anyway (except for specific clauses where they need to put it to a vote, which to my knowledge never happened since independence before)
What's a useless bunch. If they have such power and could hold on for the seat for so long, then why cat girl research isn't a reality yet?
Old 2014-09-13, 03:13   Link #34729
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
What's a useless bunch. If they have such power and could hold on for the seat for so long, then why cat girl research isn't a reality yet?
All of them went into the Central Ponzi Fund. Nah seriously, the current crop of government is just a bunch of circlejerks. I am still waiting for them to mend the fence.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2014-09-13, 11:11   Link #34730
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Plan to Split California Fails to Make Ballot

But millionaire backer is challenging that ruling

Quote:
California looks destined to remain one big state instead of six smaller ones. A Silicon Valley venture capitalist failed to collect enough signatures to qualify his "Six Californias" plan as a ballot initiative in November 2016, reports the LA Times. Tim Draper, who poured more than $5 million of his own money into the petition drive, needed 807,615 signatures, but California's secretary of state determined that he has closer to 750,000, reports the San Jose Mercury News. Draper's not giving up yet, though.

His campaign collected 1.1 million signatures, and the state conducted a random sample of 54,000 of them to determine validity. From that, it projected the 750,000 total, which Draper thinks is way low. "We are confident that a full check of the signatures would confirm that fact," he says, adding that his team would review the signatures deemed invalid. In fact, he says the ruling "is yet another example of the dysfunction of the current system and reinforces the need for six fresh, modern governments." An opponent has another view: “Six Californias was a solution in search of a problem," says a former Assembly speaker.
Old 2014-09-13, 20:33   Link #34731
JokerD

Malaysian woman sets off grenade booby trap in her driveway

Wha??
What would a person need to do to make someone set a grenade bobby trap in the driveway??
Thank goodness no one was hurt...
Old 2014-09-14, 10:01   Link #34732
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
Malaysian woman sets off grenade booby trap in her driveway

Wha??
What would a person need to do to make someone set a grenade bobby trap in the driveway??
Thank goodness no one was hurt...
Revenge? Or one of the neighbours is a ISIS fighter on vacation and testing out new methods for building IEDs?

Isis-Linked Turks Seized By Elite Indonesian Police Unit

Quote:
Indonesian police arrested four Turkish men suspected of being Isis militants, said a spokesman.

The elite Detachment 88 police squad arrested the men, along with three Indonesians, after tailing their car on 13 September in central Sulawesi district of Poso, a known hotbed for militant and jihadist activity, Boy Rafli Amar told AFP.

"They are Turkish," Amar said, confirming the arrest and said that the men were being investigated for their connection with the Islamist group.

"We suspect they are linked and are investigating further," he said.

Ronny Sompie, another police spokesman, said that two Indonesians also arrested on 13 September had fetched the Turks "believed to be from an international terror group" from Makassar Airport in South Sulawesi.

"The four foreigners managed to flee to the mountains," before their capture, he said.

Last week, the country's antiterrorism agency, the Badan Nasional Penanggulangan Terorisme (BNPT), announced that it was stepping up its operations against Islamic State-linked militants at home and abroad, with hundreds of Indonesians believed to have joined the organisation.

The Indonesian government has banned the group, and last month a team of BNPT investigators was dispatched to the Middle East to gather intelligence on Indonesians fighting for Islamic State.

Islamist groups in Jakarta and Surakarta have pledged allegiance to Islamic State, and last month security at the world's largest Buddhist temple in Borodudur, Java, after it was named as a target on an IS linked Indonesian Facebook page.

Abu Bakr Bashir, a radical Indonesian cleric believed to be the spiritual leader of the bombers who killed 202 people in the 2002 Bali bombings, has pledged allegiance to Islamic State from jail.
Wtf is wrong with these people.

Mother of 7-year-old found dead at Tampines HDB block charged with murder

Quote:
[UPDATE on Sunday, 14 September at 2:45pm: Adding details of woman arrested]

The 42-year-old mother of a 7-year-old boy who was found dead at the foot of a Tampines HDB block on Saturday has been arrested and charged with murder.

The child had fallen from the ninth floor of the block, located at Tampines Avenue 4, and was found at about 1pm.

Police confirmed their arrest of the woman, believed to be the boy's mum, in a statement shared with Yahoo Singapore, and said she will be charged in court on Monday.

On Saturday, police received a call for assistance at 1:02pm, and paramedics declared the boy dead upon arrival at the scene.

A next-door neighbour, who wanted to be known only as Mr Tan, 61, told The Sunday Times that the boy was autistic and had lived there for over five years with his parents, grandmother and 12-year-old brother.
From a more pragmatic perspective, the kid is in a better place. There isn't much support for the mentally less capable here, and it is shunned as a communicable disease despite contrary medical evidence, or seen as general laziness in school, leading to peer pressure against him.

If his mother doesn't kill him, his classmates will. If not, it will be either the teachers, principal or the general society that will force him to kill himself.

Old 2014-09-14, 13:21   Link #34733
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Just what is the aim of the ISIS? Create a large, single Islamic country? Would it be inclusive of all forms of Islam? If not, than isn't that already a failure? Or is it just the Eastern half of Islam verses the Western half of Islam with lots of old colonialism blood, Jews, and Westerners being caught in the problem? Also Buddist seem to be an enemy of Islam?
Old 2014-09-14, 14:05   Link #34734
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Just what is the aim of the ISIS? Create a large, single Islamic country? Would it be inclusive of all forms of Islam? If not, than isn't that already a failure? Or is it just the Eastern half of Islam verses the Western half of Islam with lots of old colonialism blood, Jews, and Westerners being caught in the problem? Also Buddist seem to be an enemy of Islam?
In bold: Thomas Edward Lawrence already failed that almost a century ago after he helped Arabs getting rid of the Ottoman Empire. Honestly, I don't see what they really want because that would be total utopia if that's what they are aiming at.
Old 2014-09-14, 14:05   Link #34735
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
They wanted to turn the whole world to their version of Islam. To them, all other religion is haram.

Old 2014-09-14, 15:55   Link #34736
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Change one letter and you'd have a weird anime plot "All other religion are harem"
Old 2014-09-14, 18:18   Link #34737
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Actually, how many country still permits polygamy until now?
Old 2014-09-14, 18:51   Link #34738
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Since humans are the same everywhere, and the Abraham religions have similarities within themselves, we can look to history to see what they want; the equivalent of the Papal States, with the Islam empire equivalent to the Catholic Empire spanning Europe. And of course they would fight other Muslims, the same way the Pope waged war against the Anglicans.

Everyone want empires, not everyone gets to have one.
Old 2014-09-15, 13:12   Link #34739
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

What's missing from this picture?

Since both the Indonesian and Malaysian governments view IS as a threat, why aren't they participating in the conference in Paris? I would really prefer to see other Muslim countries, particularly those in South and Southeast Asia, step up to the plate here. Otherwise we end up with alignments that are distressingly similar to the Crusades.

Nearly half the world's Muslims live in Indonesia, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, and Egypt. Egypt is already committed, and the others have large modern militaries. I doubt India would intervene given its new Hindu-nationalist government, and I wouldn't want to see them involved either. Pakistan has never been a reliable ally, but its rulers might be more willing to ship forces to Iraq than to North Waziristan.

But why isn't Indonesia, and maybe Bangladesh, being asked to contribute to the suppression of IS? Both countries have nearly half-a-million people on active duty and large reserves. Both countries are largely Sunni as well. Yes, it's a long way to the Middle East, but I don't think the US would have a problem airlifting troops from Indonesia to bases in Saudi or Iraq. The Indonesians, in particular, have forces with counterterrorism training that could prove useful in Fallujah.

When MH 17 was shot down, I wanted to see the Malaysian, Australian, and Dutch governments jointly intervene. I suspect that if they had collaborated and sent a small, well-trained force to take control of the crash scene, there would have been widespread support for that action around the world.
Old 2014-09-15, 13:31   Link #34740
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
What's missing from this picture?

Since both the Indonesian and Malaysian governments view IS as a threat, why aren't they participating in the conference in Paris? I would really prefer to see other Muslim countries, particularly those in South and Southeast Asia, step up to the plate here. Otherwise we end up with alignments that are distressingly similar to the Crusades.

Nearly half the world's Muslims live in Indonesia, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, and Egypt. Egypt is already committed, and the others have large modern militaries. I doubt India would intervene given its new Hindu-nationalist government, and I wouldn't want to see them involved either. Pakistan has never been a reliable ally, but its rulers might be more willing to ship forces to Iraq than to North Waziristan.

But why isn't Indonesia, and maybe Bangladesh, being asked to contribute to the suppression of IS? Both countries have nearly half-a-million people on active duty and large reserves. Both countries are largely Sunni as well. Yes, it's a long way to the Middle East, but I don't think the US would have a problem airlifting troops from Indonesia to bases in Saudi or Iraq. The Indonesians, in particular, have forces with counterterrorism training that could prove useful in Fallujah.

When MH 17 was shot down, I wanted to see the Malaysian, Australian, and Dutch governments jointly intervene. I suspect that if they had collaborated and sent a small, well-trained force to take control of the crash scene, there would have been widespread support for that action around the world.
In Malaysia and Indonesia, it is a political game out there. The incumbent government is voted in with a number of their supporters being devout and traditional Muslims, and they support ISIS as part of their cultural tradition of a "brother supporting a brother", or subscribe to the regular anti-semitic conspiracy theory of a Jewish NWO.

The governments don't attend such a conference for fear of losing the next election, or to risk political instability in their country.

Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international