AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-24, 17:48   Link #381
golthin

I only said that Ichiyo can do much better, she deserves to do much better. Jeez the guy is having his brother freeload at Kou's house to save in rent.
Old 2009-08-24, 17:53   Link #382
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
I only said that Ichiyo can do much better, she deserves to do much better. Jeez the guy is having his brother freeload at Kou's house to save in rent.
I don't think that's the case... He wants his little bro to have more than just his desire for his own delusions of redemption (taking his place in the Koshien... making up for the accident). He wants him to have a real friend and actually have fun while playing baseball... that is most likely the reason he wanted Yuuhei to stay with Kou.
Old 2009-08-24, 23:05   Link #383
joeboygo
mechaii

I can see where golthin is coming from because Ichiyo is consistently drawn so pretty and neat. You can almost smell her shampoo the way she always looks freshly scrubbed. And she has been such a steady big sister from page 1. Azuma the elder, on the other hand, is always rendered with stubble on his face, an open shirt, and can be something of a horndog. Just let's not forget that Ichiyo's (and Waka/Momo/Aoba's) dad is drawn and portrayed in the exact same way. Looks can be deceiving in this story. Akaishi is deliberately drawn ugly for a reason.

Anyway I think ac195 hit the nail on the head. Azuma's brother knows from what he lived through that baseball isn't just about the game. Azuma was a really bad head case when he first showed up, but he's a different guy now. I don't think he would want to move out of Kou's house anymore even if a place was found for him. And I don't think Kou would be too happy to see him go either. But the most nifty trick of all was the gradual and organic way the characters grew from the beginning of the story to become what they are now. That's the stuff that makes them feel so real, it's like you actually know them personally.
Old 2009-08-25, 03:10   Link #384
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeboygo View Post
Just let's not forget that Ichiyo's (and Waka/Momo/Aoba's) dad is drawn and portrayed in the exact same way.
That's probably another reason why shes fond of him.
Old 2009-08-25, 06:37   Link #385
poko-kun

Chapter 155

Damn... I want moarrrrrrrrrr
Very exciting game, indeed.
Old 2009-08-25, 07:54   Link #386
golthin

Finally, we get news about akane.
Old 2009-08-25, 09:12   Link #387
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Good news?

Old 2009-08-25, 09:45   Link #388
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Good news?
she is not dead
Old 2009-08-25, 09:57   Link #389
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

That's good enough for me.

Old 2009-08-25, 11:17   Link #390
poko-kun

I don't care much 'bout Akane this chapter
but no-hitter break just... gives me chills!
Old 2009-08-25, 12:06   Link #391
Diedrupo

About Ichiyo and older Azuma... You know what they say, opposites attract.
Old 2009-08-25, 13:09   Link #392
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diedrupo View Post
About Ichiyo and older Azuma... You know what they say, opposites attract.
nah, it is like some people said and I didn't notice. Ichiyo just like the guy because he is just like her father. I feel ashame that I didn't make that connection considering all the Adachi works I have read.
Old 2009-08-25, 13:47   Link #393
joeboygo
mechaii

Quote:
I feel ashame that I didn't make that connection considering all the Adachi works I have read.
Come on now. This manga has more thoughtfull details in a single chapter than most other manga have in their entirety. It's impossible for one single person to catch everything. That's why this forum is so much fun.
Old 2009-08-25, 13:49   Link #394
Diedrupo

Quote:
nah, it is like some people said and I didn't notice. Ichiyo just like the guy because he is just like her father. I feel ashame that I didn't make that connection considering all the Adachi works I have read.
so ichiyo has a father complex? that's kind of scary!
Old 2009-08-25, 14:23   Link #395
golthin

Quote:
well, it does make sense. she was the older when the mother died, and we saw that the other three girls had Kou as friend. she have dated many other guys, but this is the first one that she is actually considering marrying. the similarities with her father are uncanny. I just couldn't understand what she saw on him until some insightful person brought it up. she just see her father as her ideal man.
Old 2009-08-25, 16:32   Link #396
joeboygo
mechaii

Well you could help me out with this one. I'm still not sure breaking up the no-hitter was the smart thing to do. Exactly what was Mishima trying to accomplish by doing that? Or, as Azuma was wondering, why did Mishima feel the need to do it so early in the game? It may even help Kou because now that the no-hitter is gone, there's less pressure on him to go for it. Kou has already established his fastball to keep the batters honest, so he can now mix his pitches up at leisure.

Although I don't yet understand his purpose, I have to give Mishima props for doing it. Any kind of bunt, let alone a drag bunt, is not something a clean up hitter does. That Mishima was willing to do it for tactical purposes (whatever those may be, eh Golthin) shows that he does not let his ego get in the way of his decision making. He's going to be a dangerous adversary.
Old 2009-08-25, 17:28   Link #397
golthin

Quote:
Well you could help me out with this one. I'm still not sure breaking up the no-hitter was the smart thing to do. Exactly what was Mishima trying to accomplish by doing that? Or, as Azuma was wondering, why did Mishima feel the need to do it so early in the game? It may even help Kou because now that the no-hitter is gone, there's less pressure on him to go for it. Kou has already established his fastball to keep the batters honest, so he can now mix his pitches up at leisure.

Although I don't yet understand his purpose, I have to give Mishima props for doing it. Any kind of bunt, let alone a drag bunt, is not something a clean up hitter does. That Mishima was willing to do it for tactical purposes (whatever those may be, eh Golthin) shows that he does not let his ego get in the way of his decision making. He's going to be a dangerous adversary.
he just wanted to stop kou from making the game a not hitter, because like azuma he knows how good kou is. Even if they lose the game, they can lose in a good way and avoid the shame of losing with a complete shut out.
Old 2009-08-25, 18:33   Link #398
joeboygo
mechaii

Quote:
he just wanted to stop kou from making the game a not hitter, because like azuma he knows how good kou is. Even if they lose the game, they can lose in a good way and avoid the shame of losing with a complete shut out.
Aha, so I'm not the only one that saw it that way. He IS scared. That fastball has him spooked. Of course nine innings will go by very quickly if nobody can hit the ball into the outfield.

If anybody has an elternative reading I'd like to hear about it. Don't get me wrong, I want me and golthin to be correct, but it just seems too good to be true. Even Azuma couldn't believe it (manzara jiyoudan nakata). Only the second inning and THE Mishima is already worried? Does anybody here think it's just a feint?
Old 2009-08-25, 19:30   Link #399
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Quote:
Aha, so I'm not the only one that saw it that way. He IS scared. That fastball has him spooked. Of course nine innings will go by very quickly if nobody can hit the ball into the outfield.

If anybody has an elternative reading I'd like to hear about it. Don't get me wrong, I want me and golthin to be correct, but it just seems too good to be true. Even Azuma couldn't believe it (manzara jiyoudan nakata). Only the second inning and THE Mishima is already worried? Does anybody here think it's just a feint?
Well, you could interpret that bunt as taking the pressure off Kou and that being a good thing... but, I'm not too sure what kind of pitcher Kou is yet. Is he a clutch pitcher (one who loves pressure and elevates his game) or just a relaxed one? All of us who watch/read Major know what kind of pitcher Goro is since it's so blatantly put out there right in front of us... but I'm not too sure about Kou yet.

Still, I think Mishima was getting rid of the tension on Kou and for his team. Without the added tension, Kou might relax a little and let an easy pitch go sometime... and at the same time Mishima's team is relieved of the embarrassment of being shut out by a no hitter, thus allowing each hitter to focus on the game rather than worrying about it.

Quote:
From what we've seen so far... Her father has been a rock since the death of her mother. He's always been kind and supportive and never let his daughters know how bad he was suffering... even after Wakaba died, he never has broken down in front of them (though it has be said by Kou's father that he would always cry when they went drinking alone).

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Ichiyo would best understand the strength, kindness, and overall greatness of her father the best since she has basically taken on the mothering role in the family. I don't find it strange at all that she likes Junpei (I think that's the older Azuma's name if memory serves me right...).

Last edited by ac195; 2009-08-25 at 20:04.
Old 2009-08-25, 20:06   Link #400
jpwong

Well, from Adachi's other manga featuring Seishu, he shows that a perfect game puts more and more stress on the whole team as the game progresses and by wreaking it, it takes the pressure off trying to maintain that perfect game.
Closed Thread

Tags
mitsuru adachi, shounen