AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2017-03-29, 05:30   Link #1
Cosmic Eagle
西の魔女
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Yakou (Morimi Tomihiko Novel)

http://www.shogakukan.co.jp/pr/morimi/index.html#story


Author interview

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?


Uchouten Kazoku author Morimi Tomihiko's latest work. It has been receiving high praise and has bagged the 7th Hiroshima Book Award. I can say the atmosphere in this book is amazing, although being personally familiar with the places involved as setting admittedly adds a lot to the impact I got from it.

The genre is coming of life drama (seishun) in the form of kaidan (horror/mystery) fantasy.

plot as follows:

Spoiler for plot:
__________________

す べ て の 想 い に  巡 り 来 る 祝 福 を
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-14, 22:03   Link #2
Kunagisa
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
I ... do not understand why this is so highly rated. Is it because of the imagery of being familiar with the places? I do enjoy the atmosphere, but the ending is so unsatisfactory to me BECAUSE I saw on the website that there are multiple interpretation. That. And I'm too stupid to figure out how anyone even come to any factual answers in the first place? Are there any hints that I'm missing or are the answers just pure guessing?

How did you answer the questions on the website? I can't even answer a single one of them (maybe except the last one, which to me is just a resounding NO). The entire time is just a whole lot of "wtf did I just read??" It does not help that I thought Oohashi and Hasegawa would get together. This is one of those books that I think the animated form would work better because I would enjoy seeing the scenes in motion. But still ... wtf did I read?
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-15, 12:06   Link #3
Cosmic Eagle
西の魔女
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Am on the Tsugaru chapter now so I cannot say definitively but so far I can say the main draw for me besides the atmosphere and familarity of the places is the drama with Hasegawa more than the kaidan aspect. None of the narrators seem reliable in their POVs and thus the whole thing seems like a dream that everyone is stuck in. You are drawn to read on partly because of that and also more and more by the relationship everyone had 10 years ago....if you see it as a Fatal Frame plotline then it's kinda like that I guess.

as for the questions

1) I...actually do not think that's the hotel guy's wife.....until now I think she's actually possessed somehow by Hasegawa (assuming Kurama chapter does not have anything that explicitly negates any supernatural stuff). Why? Because of the way the house is described to be run down and utterly deserted. Where did she disappeare off to the first time we see her?

As for the hotel guy's own story... I get the feeling he was either a possessive guy who ended up murdering her and was lying about the train accident....or his wife was already influenced by Hasegawa/ the "night" etc then.


2)This whole point feels like representative of a turning point in Nakai's character. The way it happens though, makes me feel it can't be anything but supernatural. I mean she could have been lured there by the hotel guy for an affair because she was dissatisfied with Nakai but ended up being abused like the hotel guy's wife but face it.... nothing adds up. Nakai appeared to flat out murder the hotel man and disappear back into the house with his wife. Yet the MC says he's been in contact with them all this while and they were in Tokyo? How did he get away with murder and why did he abandon that house he had a hard on for. Clearly the MC is also dreaming there.


3) IMO, Takeda and Miya. It is those two who were eaten into the "Night".... and again...is that really Miya or Hasegawa....

4) At the tunnel where Takeda saw Not(!) Miya/ Hasegawa. Am quite certain they never made it to Oku Hida


Rest I have not yet covered
__________________

す べ て の 想 い に  巡 り 来 る 祝 福 を

Last edited by Cosmic Eagle; 2017-04-15 at 12:58.
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-16, 21:59   Link #4
Ii_chan
Silent Ghost
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Am on the Tsugaru chapter now so I cannot say definitively but so far I can say the main draw for me besides the atmosphere and familarity of the places is the drama with Hasegawa more than the kaidan aspect. None of the narrators seem reliable in their POVs and thus the whole thing seems like a dream that everyone is stuck in. You are drawn to read on partly because of that and also more and more by the relationship everyone had 10 years ago....if you see it as a Fatal Frame plotline then it's kinda like that I guess.

as for the questions

1) I...actually do not think that's the hotel guy's wife.....until now I think she's actually possessed somehow by Hasegawa (assuming Kurama chapter does not have anything that explicitly negates any supernatural stuff). Why? Because of the way the house is described to be run down and utterly deserted. Where did she disappeare off to the first time we see her?

As for the hotel guy's own story... I get the feeling he was either a possessive guy who ended up murdering her and was lying about the train accident....or his wife was already influenced by Hasegawa/ the "night" etc then.


2)This whole point feels like representative of a turning point in Nakai's character. The way it happens though, makes me feel it can't be anything but supernatural. I mean she could have been lured there by the hotel guy for an affair because she was dissatisfied with Nakai but ended up being abused like the hotel guy's wife but face it.... nothing adds up. Nakai appeared to flat out murder the hotel man and disappear back into the house with his wife. Yet the MC says he's been in contact with them all this while and they were in Tokyo? How did he get away with murder and why did he abandon that house he had a hard on for. Clearly the MC is also dreaming there.


3) IMO, Takeda and Miya. It is those two who were eaten into the "Night".... and again...is that really Miya or Hasegawa....

4) At the tunnel where Takeda saw Not(!) Miya/ Hasegawa. Am quite certain they never made it to Oku Hida


Rest I have not yet covered
ch. 2.
from personal interpreted, they actually have crash accident on road and the mc and the woman died. I got hint from the mc's friend who said 'don't sleep or I'll sleep too' dialogue.

and ch 1. I thought the mc killed himself. I don't know, maybe they hallucinating when they watching the wife killed herself when they on that night train and the mc really killed her wife.

So, my current theory maybe in prologue they already died and that was their ghost that visited kurama matsuri like when ghost killers gathering on Halloween night in AHS maybe

Don't really understand the story but I liked the atmosphere and yeah familiarity like when you wakes up on afternoon and seeing no one on the house. some words has nostalgic moments.

anyone recommend me another book like this? I only know the author from uchouten kazoku/tatami or that mijikai, so it is really surprising how this different from those works.


and am I the only one who afraid with 一軒家 after read this novel?
Ii_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-16, 22:06   Link #5
Cosmic Eagle
西の魔女
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
More like weird hotels rather than 一軒家 lol


In the after world....there's only endless night holidays
__________________

す べ て の 想 い に  巡 り 来 る 祝 福 を
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-19, 23:55   Link #6
Cosmic Eagle
西の魔女
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
I'll add another question myself actually....

How much collateral damage (ie, people not part of the original group who went to Kurama Fire Matsuri) occured?
__________________

す べ て の 想 い に  巡 り 来 る 祝 福 を
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-19, 13:26   Link #7
Ii_chan
Silent Ghost
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
I'll add another question myself actually....

How much collateral damage (ie, people not part of the original group who went to Kurama Fire Matsuri) occured?
what you mean?

finally finished. I already read some impression about this book on japan blog and ready to not expecting some answers but this

someone please tells me what is going on.
Spoiler:


and is this parallel with Uchouten kazoku because in this week episode, yasaburo also got ended up on hell drawing?

'the world already night'

Last edited by Ii_chan; 2017-05-19 at 13:37.
Ii_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-20, 01:48   Link #8
Kunagisa
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
If you're looking for answers, then whatever you come up with is probably right. Yes, this answer sucks, but since the homepage say there are multiple interpretations so you cannot be wrong. Rather than what is real, I'm more wondering what is the point? How are the people in the group not freaked out by what the others did? Some of the actions are just straight criminal acts. The whole time jump thing does not help one bit.

I think the last case is supposed to give the biggest hint but I need to reread this. If I have to choose, I say the world with the Yakou paintings is the real one.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-20, 04:35   Link #9
Ii_chan
Silent Ghost
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunagisa View Post
If you're looking for answers, then whatever you come up with is probably right. Yes, this answer sucks, but since the homepage say there are multiple interpretations so you cannot be wrong. Rather than what is real, I'm more wondering what is the point? How are the people in the group not freaked out by what the others did? Some of the actions are just straight criminal acts. The whole time jump thing does not help one bit.

I think the last case is supposed to give the biggest hint but I need to reread this. If I have to choose, I say the world with the Yakou paintings is the real one.
yeah, that. I also pretty confusing how their action is pretty calm even their situation is straight out horror or odd/strange.

even the ending like this, but seems like japanese fans like this book.
Ii_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-21, 04:18   Link #10
Cosmic Eagle
西の魔女
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ii_chan View Post
what you mean?

finally finished. I already read some impression about this book on japan blog and ready to not expecting some answers but this

someone please tells me what is going on.
Spoiler:


and is this parallel with Uchouten kazoku because in this week episode, yasaburo also got ended up on hell drawing?

'the world already night'
I mean did all those random people involved in each of the chapters actually die.....did they actually even exist....? Are they still stuck in the Night? Not the main characters but those with them. nobody not part of the main cast ever sees some of them again (as far as you know). Are these people not even missed?
__________________

す べ て の 想 い に  巡 り 来 る 祝 福 を
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-21, 08:04   Link #11
Ii_chan
Silent Ghost
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
I mean did all those random people involved in each of the chapters actually die.....did they actually even exist....? Are they still stuck in the Night? Not the main characters but those with them. nobody not part of the main cast ever sees some of them again (as far as you know). Are these people not even missed?
oh that. I don't know too.
from what I understand, the peoples aside MCs is involved because they saw the painting too. Like the hotelman, woman with MC (just these two that saw painting on cafe), the woman and her friend's husband also involved because they saw painting at gallery.
Ii_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-23, 11:55   Link #12
Cosmic Eagle
西の魔女
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
https://twitter.com/comyu_c/status/883160514821476352

Yakou manga released it seems
__________________

す べ て の 想 い に  巡 り 来 る 祝 福 を
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.