AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-10-16, 12:40   Link #41
Ryuu-Odjn
Lost...maybe

I took 75 hours to complete the JP one, getting just enough grade for the 10x EXP modifier. Didn't do the Nebilim fight either. I did most of the sidequests bar the ones that open in the new game+, but it does help greatly to have the 10x EXP and carrying over C-Cores.

Breezed through the second time rather nicely on Mania. Couldn't cope with doing 1 damage on Unknown to every boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
BTW, Destiny remake for the PS2 is next in the line (release sometime in Nov.) ^_^
Which looks totally ace. The videos I've seen look to be a much faster paced Destiny II, with alot of air combat. Definitely getting that one.
Ryuu-Odjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 13:44   Link #42
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

I very much prefer RPG's with well-written and even complex stories (although, for some reason, Xenosaga never managed to fully draw me in). I've heard some complain that the story in Abyss is too simplistic.

I've really enjoyed: Shadow Hearts: Covenant, Star Ocean 3, and Wild Arms 4, and most recently Radiata Stories (with Dragon Quest 8 and Suikoden V still waiting patiently to be played). Will this be my cup of tea? And while I'm at it....does anybody know first hand whether Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria' story is compelling?
Old 2006-10-16, 13:52   Link #43
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
We all know that people are going to immediately switch there favorite character to Arietta once they first encounter her. Question is, how will the person who does her english voice sleep at night once she finds out she's done the voice for an underage character who's so deliberately sexualized.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 21:31   Link #44
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsheit View Post
I very much prefer RPG's with well-written and even complex stories (although, for some reason, Xenosaga never managed to fully draw me in). I've heard some complain that the story in Abyss is too simplistic.

I've really enjoyed: Shadow Hearts: Covenant, Star Ocean 3, and Wild Arms 4, and most recently Radiata Stories (with Dragon Quest 8 and Suikoden V still waiting patiently to be played). Will this be my cup of tea? And while I'm at it....does anybody know first hand whether Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria' story is compelling?
Abyss. Simplistic? Hah. I don't know where you heard that, but while Abyss doesn't have the mock-depth of Xenosaga (( that game's glossary is insane )), but Abyss does sport a good story with a well-balanced typical heroes to save the world story with a strong semblance of character development, (( second to only Legendia, which had character story arcs for god's sake )), racial and ethical/religious themes that run deeper than a typical RPG, and is very very solid. Considering the type of games you enjoyed, you shouldn't be dissapointed. If anything, my only advice to you is tolerate Luke, especially a certain 3 hours of the game where he was just.....urgh. I don't want to spoil any further.

I haven't completed Valkyrie Profile : Silmeria, but the story itself doesn't seem all that bad, though I think it suffers a lot in the character development sector.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 23:37   Link #45
SpecterVR
Calming Everyday Life

Tales of the Abyss gives you some really great character development. In many different ways, through character interaction to well designed backgrounds. The setting is a bit original, and the world gets a lot of detail behind it. (Thanks, Guy!)

But given that you enjoyed Wild Arms 4, with its especially in-depth plot. Though I also suggest playing Suikoden V, its right up your alley!

And I <3 this game. Got it the day it shipped, and man its just great. About 25 or so hours in now and having a blast. Jade is so superbly awesome.
SpecterVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-17, 01:45   Link #46
stpehen
kisses for all

I spent so much time playing Legendia that I simply stopped noticing how wretched the battle system was. After a few hours into Abyss, it's pure glory. "Like velvet mixed with peanut butter."
stpehen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-17, 03:47   Link #47
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

I don't know, I rather liked the battle system in Legendia. >.>;

Sure it wasn't the greatest thing ever but it made the battles pretty fun. The problem with the battle system in Legendia was that there were just SO many battles (I finished the game with some +1300 encounters). Although that really isn't so much a fault of the battle system as the random encounter system, after so many battles you're bound to become tired of it.

At the moment, I have Tales of Abyss sitting on the top of the pile and I'll start playing it as soon as I finish my current game.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-18, 13:33   Link #48
finaldragoon

Is anyone haveing problems with No music on the World Map, or is it just my copy.. and I have already sat through 100+ Skits you can skip them by pressing Start..
finaldragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-18, 13:48   Link #49
uLTraCarL-
Planet uLTraCarL Inc
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to uLTraCarL- Send a message via AIM to uLTraCarL-
why would you want to skip the skits ?! :O

it's a retail copy right? Not a burned one? If it's retail, I'd take it back and get another one if I were you and see if that works

The Chronicles of uLTraCarL .. Youtube connection
[Ht] Hostile Takeover #hostile @ irc.gamesurge.net .. Anime-Kraze #anime-kraze @ irc.rizon.net
uLTraCarL- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-18, 13:57   Link #50
finaldragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by uLTraCarL- View Post
why would you want to skip the skits ?! :O

it's a retail copy right? Not a burned one? If it's retail, I'd take it back and get another one if I were you and see if that works
It only does it when i load a game, when i walk into a Town the towns Music becomes the Map Music as soon as I leave the Town..
Old 2006-10-18, 14:01   Link #51
finaldragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu-Odjn View Post
. Also no music on the world map either.
So you to are haveing the same problem no Map Music..
Old 2006-10-18, 14:09   Link #52
uLTraCarL-
Planet uLTraCarL Inc
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by finaldragoon View Post
So you to are haveing the same problem no Map Music..
I believe Ryuu-Odjn was referring if I was to put it on my PS2 HD then there would be all those problems and lack of world map music

[Ht] Hostile Takeover #hostile @ irc.gamesurge.net .. Anime-Kraze #anime-kraze @ irc.rizon.net
Old 2006-10-18, 14:32   Link #53
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

Send a message via AIM to the.Merines Send a message via MSN to the.Merines
I believe the no World Map music is a glitch in the NA version of the game, which does fix itself after a certain point.
Old 2006-10-19, 16:08   Link #54
finaldragoon

Well i think th eMusic problem on the Map now is in the Desert Only so far that is where it goes silent..After the Zao Ruins and you have control of the Tarterus the Music is back..
Old 2006-10-20, 08:21   Link #55
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finaldragoon View Post
Well i think th eMusic problem on the Map now is in the Desert Only so far that is where it goes silent..After the Zao Ruins and you have control of the Tarterus the Music is back..
The music problem starts right when you get out of the Abandoned Factory and lasts until you get to Akzeriuth (about a 2-3 hour stretch). It should work perfectly fine before and after so it isn't that big of a deal.
Old 2006-10-24, 05:10   Link #56
uLTraCarL-
Planet uLTraCarL Inc
*Fansubber

Beat the game yesterday, took me about 48ish hours
It would have been 43 but I spent some time in the arena ^_^

If you ever want to whore the arena, do it in the team. The final fight is just too jamming.

I got all the parts for the planetary artes thing but I never got around to upgrading my flight stone, so i just went and beat the game lol

Old 2006-10-24, 05:33   Link #57
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by uLTraCarL- View Post
I got all the parts for the planetary artes thing but I never got around to upgrading my flight stone, so i just went and beat the game lol
That one is a bit dull, since the last part can only be obtained after
beating Sink/Sync on eldrant.
So you'll have to run all the back or use a bottle.
Besides depending how you use the c.cores the planetary artes might not be as good,
since they override the attack stats with the kills you managed with a character.
So if you character has only 1 kill, it will only have 1 attack power, ignoring the stats.
Nevertheless battling against Nebilim is fun, at least it is more fun than against the Sword dancer...
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 12:24   Link #58
Ryuu-Odjn
Lost...maybe

The advanced arena is very easy, especially as the last two fights have only 1 enemy. The turtly thing spends alot of the time on its back and the dragon thing is very easy to combo.

The tales cameo OTOH is a great fight, especially at the right level for an even match.
Ryuu-Odjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 12:40   Link #59
Texcap
Dyed in the Wool

I picked up Tales of the Abyss on the day of it's release and I'm ~10 hrs. in (business trip drastically reduced my playing time, unfortunately) and am having a blast with the game. Most everything that I enjoyed about ToS in terms of it's presentation, quality, controls, etc. looks to be replicated here so far, and I look forward to getting the chance to dive into it even more as things calm down a little over the holiday season.

Between Okami, ToA, and Fire Emblem, I think I'm set for a good month or two. Only to have Rogue Galaxy, Super-Robot Taisen: OG2, LOZ: Twilight Princess, LOZ: Phantom Hourglass...already on the pipeline.

Ah well, it's only sleep!
Texcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 14:14   Link #60
uLTraCarL-
Planet uLTraCarL Inc
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu-Odjn View Post
The advanced arena is very easy, especially as the last two fights have only 1 enemy. The turtly thing spends alot of the time on its back and the dragon thing is very easy to combo.

The tales cameo OTOH is a great fight, especially at the right level for an even match.
haha yes! The first time around, I was like "what the fuck, holy shit!" That one hizzo Reid kept working me pretty damn good.