AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Steins;Gate

Notices

View Poll Results: Steins;Gate - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 12 18.46%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 24.62%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 23 35.38%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 16.92%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 4.62%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-02, 07:07   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Steins;Gate - Episode 18 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Steins;Gate, Episode 18.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2011-08-02, 14:04   Link #2
Midonin
Last Engage

S;G 18 - I see it. Bring us hope.

Not the first show I've seen this week that abruptly changed genres into romance. One veered from lighthearted action comedy into a more adult romance, one veered from a suspenseful thriller into young romance. This is the second one.

The tables were turned here. The assistant becomes the professor (even though, just like CMS Hououin Kyouma, she's unskilled in the ways of love too) and starts giving absurd names to Operations. It was fun to watch, and probably gave more fuel towards a Rintaro/Kurisu ending than anything involving Ruka.

Rintaro's almost complete lack of subtlety or interest during the date (yet he was still trying) had a goofy charm to it, and I liked the way that the lines we first heard about Ruka those several months ago were repeated to close off this episode. The tale continues to turn.

So next up on the list of undoing what was undone should be Moeka. This will be easier said than done.
Old 2011-08-02, 15:04   Link #3
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

"... but he's a guy" again.

I hope they explain why people other than Kyoma can remember things from other world lines soon.
Old 2011-08-02, 15:33   Link #4
GDB

Wonder why Okabe didn't try just using the D-Mail to try and make sure Rukako didn't break the damned IBN5100. Or if he knew how long ago it was there, send a message to himself to pick it up or something.
Old 2011-08-02, 15:50   Link #5
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I speculated last week that canceling Ruka's D-mail would be a pointless endeavor, I'm glad I was wrong and an actual reason to do it was given in this episode. The pill would have been very hard to swallow otherwise.

Kurisu completely stole the episode for me. It would have been pretty boring without her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Wonder why Okabe didn't try just using the D-Mail to try and make sure Rukako didn't break the damned IBN5100. Or if he knew how long ago it was there, send a message to himself to pick it up or something.
Because he knows for sure what will happen if the D-mail is canceled (the world will simply switch back to the previous world line) whereas he has no idea what would happen if he did what you suggested. Sending out D-mails without thinking about the consequences is what led to Mayuri's death in the first place, he's not willing to take that kind risk anymore. That kind D-mails may appear to be harmless, but they might not be. He's just playing it safe now.
Old 2011-08-02, 16:05   Link #6
Offizier_Michael
Allies Staff Member

They should really explain how Feris and Ruka actually remember the things which happened in the other timeline, probably has to do with okabe's epic reading steiner ^^'

This episode was a bit on the slower side, showing romantic noobs bunching up to prepare for a date.
It's somewhat sad that Ruka remembered actually beeing a guy and that she/he/it won't remember anything after the counter-D-mail, jet she/he/it just gives in to save Mayuri.

Damn you Okabe, you should at least have given Ruka a kiss... it's not like there will be another chance (if your straight)... =P
Old 2011-08-02, 16:10   Link #7
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny

This...episode...

This was a nice change of pace from the serious tone of the last few episodes. Okabe and Ruka's date was really awkward, but it was Kurisu who stole the spotlight in this episode o boy

Just like Feyris, Ruka somehow remembers his past in the previous timeline when he was a guy.

Now for the last message, Moeka's D-mail. This one will probably be the hardest to undo.
Old 2011-08-02, 16:55   Link #8
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I presume this will be one of the last chances in the series for some light heartedness at all. It give us all time to breath a bit before the culminating final moments of this series, at least I believe so.

I got some good laughs from it especially due to Kurisu, but in the end, like Feryis, Ruka isn't one of the most endearing characters in the cast so the episode never passed into fantastic territory. So 8/10.
Old 2011-08-02, 17:04   Link #9
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Hmm a little confused. Can someone explain this to me?

If Rukako said that she accidentally broke the IBN5100 in THIS timeline by cleaning the shrine shack or whereever it was, if Kyouma just sends a d-mail to Rukako to not clean that day or make sure she doesn't break that ibn5100, or asks her to bring the ibn5100 to him a year earlier, wouldn't this issue be solved?

I feel like I'm missing something, so someone please point that out for me. Otherwise, fun episode to watch

edit:
okay looks like someone above already asked this question. Whoops, but in response to that answer, I don't know man, it's always MUCH easier for him to cancel out his own d-mail as all he has to do is just send one to himself that says "don't send that, that was a message from SERN", and he would revert that dmail AND Then use the number rukako had given him. It's always easier for him to counter his own d-mail, but not so much other's dmails. So he could've at least given it a try was my thought.
Old 2011-08-02, 17:29   Link #10
Xcomp
Owe No Favours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offizier_Michael View Post
...she/he/it...
Sounding like someone else I know now, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post
Hmm a little confused. Can someone explain this to me?

If Rukako said that she accidentally broke the IBN5100 in THIS timeline by cleaning the shrine shack or whereever it was, if Kyouma just sends a d-mail to Rukako to not clean that day or make sure she doesn't break that ibn5100, or asks her to bring the ibn5100 to him a year earlier, wouldn't this issue be solved?

I feel like I'm missing something, so someone please point that out for me. Otherwise, fun episode to watch

edit:
okay looks like someone above already asked this question. Whoops, but in response to that answer, I don't know man, it's always MUCH easier for him to cancel out his own d-mail as all he has to do is just send one to himself that says "don't send that, that was a message from SERN", and he would revert that dmail AND Then use the number rukako had given him. It's always easier for him to counter his own d-mail, but not so much other's dmails. So he could've at least given it a try was my thought.
Well, like Kanon said, the butterfly effects are too unpredictable. Just look at what happened to Akihabara when Feyris sent that D-mail. Okabe never expected that. Just like his attempts to try and save Mayuri by time leaping back, he will probably end up sending D-mail after D-mail in the end if he tried to create a new one. SERN still ends up securing the IBN5100 and dictating the world.
Old 2011-08-02, 17:43   Link #11
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
There are as usual lots of speculation and question remaining, like how is it that Ruka just like Feyris (looks like my speculation of her having a special ability is false) can remember the previous world line. But aside from all the serious stuff, this episode is even a more light-hearted one than the last, and I thoroughly enjoyed it for that.

The first half is basically pure fun - seeing Okabe getting all awkward in preparing the date and especially during the date really fits his character and it's pretty fun to see him out of his element. But the star of the show is most definitely Kurisu, her interactions with Okabe alone is pure gold. Their childish bickering always makes me laugh (especially her new nickname, American Virgin), and having her following Okabe is definitely making the date much less painful (in a cringey sort of way) to watch.

The end though, really hits me hard for some reason. Despite the lack of time spent together or really developed reason for it, I can really see that Ruka is truly and deeply in love with Okabe, and as such making her decision to let go of all that really heartbreaking. Kudos for the writing, the atmosphere and the VA as well for that powerful scene, not only as a great scene for Ruka but it further shows Okabe's determination and how hard it is for him to remember everything alone.

So yeah, in RPG terms, the mid-boss is already defeated, now time to fight the final boss herself, Killyou Moeka. I can't even begin to fathom how is it that Okabe can convince Moeka to sabotage her whole operation by giving him the info of her D-Mail, even contacting her seems difficult at this point what's with SERN agents around her. As such, the next episode will definitely be a lot more serious and frantic and unpredictable, which will definitely make it a blast to watch.
Old 2011-08-02, 17:46   Link #12
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcomp View Post
Sounding like someone else I know now, lol.

Well, like Kanon said, the butterfly effects are too unpredictable. Just look at what happened to Akihabara when Feyris sent that D-mail. Okabe never expected that. Just like his attempts to try and save Mayuri by time leaping back, he will probably end up sending D-mail after D-mail in the end if he tried to create a new one. SERN still ends up securing the IBN5100 and dictating the world.
Yeah but like I said, it's a lot easier to change your own d-mail. And I don't think Okabe knows whether the original timeline was the best (or does he?)...so why not give this a try and see what happens? Like I said, it's always easier for him to send a cancel d-mail to himself. I don't see any harm in giving this one a shot, especially since we know that the ibn5100 was broken by her in one of her cleaning efforts. That's something that could be easily avoided, or he could d-mail himself to go pick up the ibn 5100 a year earlier.
Old 2011-08-02, 18:44   Link #13
Eater of All
NOM

A light-hearted episode, but that's fine too. Reminds me those first few episodes when Okabe was just fooling around with his lab members, having fun....

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post
Yeah but like I said, it's a lot easier to change your own d-mail. And I don't think Okabe knows whether the original timeline was the best (or does he?)...so why not give this a try and see what happens? Like I said, it's always easier for him to send a cancel d-mail to himself. I don't see any harm in giving this one a shot, especially since we know that the ibn5100 was broken by her in one of her cleaning efforts. That's something that could be easily avoided, or he could d-mail himself to go pick up the ibn 5100 a year earlier.
By "changing his own D-Mail", do you mean preventing himself from letting people send D-Mails in the first place? If so, it's already explained (by Reckoner in ep17 thread) that:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
...Okabe can't stop anyone from sending D-mails in his time line because the very action of sending the D-Mail never actually happened.

What Okabe and Kurisu are doing is sending a 2nd D-mail to cancel out the other one. Because in their current time line the person in question received the message, but the person who sent the message never actually sent it in that time line. That is why they can cancel it out with another message, but they cannot stop the message being received in the first place.
Old 2011-08-02, 18:47   Link #14
Lummie

I was a bit confused with the ultimate technique part and why Christina kept bring it up. Anyone who understood it, mind explaining?
Old 2011-08-02, 18:49   Link #15
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Liked the date scenes, too bad Rukako had to turn back into a guy. So she remembered when she was a guy, i wonder why everyone is retaining their memories when trying to undue their d-mails. So Rukako broke the ibn in that timeline i wonder if it's not broken now. Does anyone know if the divergence meter went up? Kurisu's back and forth banter with Okarin was great. Lol how she and Daru were following them. So Moeka is next. This might be the hardest one yet. IIRC Okarin didn't know exactly what she typed in when she sent it.
Old 2011-08-02, 18:52   Link #16
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
Their childish bickering always makes me laugh (especially her new nickname, American Virgin), and having her following Okabe is definitely making the date much less painful (in a cringey sort of way) to watch.
I didn't even think about that as a lasting nickname, but that'll be hilarious if he calls her that in this new Worldline where said conversation never happened. Sort of like when he called her The Zombie, but with a better reaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
Does anyone know if the divergence meter went up?
Yeah, it's at 0.52 now I think.
Old 2011-08-02, 18:53   Link #17
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny

Once again, this episode marks the branching point for Ruka's ending in the VN. Here's the video if interested. This ending...makes me rage a bit...

Spoiler for Ruka's Ending Summary:

Spoiler for Ruka Ending CG:
Old 2011-08-02, 19:43   Link #18
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well now things get really tough. Somehow have to deal with Moeka's D-Mail which probably is one of the most critical. Someone in her position could do real damage with that kind of power.

Guess the question is how far back does this need to go. I mean they should get the computer back after the next undo if all goes well, but hard to say. Unless they make Moeka undo the message at gun point not sure how cooperative she'll be.
Old 2011-08-02, 21:22   Link #19
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
The way I see it is that Kyouma's '' power '' is affecting those around him when he's close to them.. or something. It's not like they remembered all and everything from their previous world lines... Well, I hope the future will tell why are they having these memories. Would be nice to get an explanation for this.. I still find this kinda lame as the power was supposed to be unique to Kyouma, even if the explanation will be what I suggested..
Old 2011-08-02, 23:33   Link #20
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
About a quarter/third into the episode, I had a strong sense that I wasn't going to like this episode much... but, thankfully, the date was truly hilarious.

Kurisu and Daru helping to plan the date, tagging along from behind, and providing running commentary on the date, is a big part of what really made it all so funny.

The dialogue between Okabe and Kurisu in this episode was just so very witty and sharp, too. Due to the serious tone of most recent episodes, it's been awhile since I've heard lighthearted, witty dialogue in this show. So much so that I had actually kind of forgotten just how superb it is.

Seeing Okabe temporarily put back on the slightly smug and charismatic "Mad Scientist" persona was insanely rewarding too.

So all-told, this actually ended up being a great fell-good episode, kept just short of a 10/10 (for me) due to the slightly over-the-top melodrama coming from the Trap in his/her final episode as a girl.

Still, if Feyris gets an episode focus, then so should Ruka. And I will say that, melodrama aside, Ruka's emotions were conveyed well here, and it left me feeling a bit sorry for her, so "Mission Accomplished" there.