AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Old 2011-08-23, 09:59   Link #501
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton_dawn View Post
Pickups are really quite important to the guitar's sound, though.

Anyway, I think I'm long overdue for some (very blurry) gear pics:

Spoiler for Beginner guitar: Fender Starcaster:

Spoiler for Fender Blacktop Stratocaster and accessories:

Spoiler for Seagull Rustic Entourage:

Spoiler for Korg M50 88-key synthesizer:

Spoiler for Alesis DM6 electronic drum kit:
I'm really diggin your gear Dawn! Especially the electronic drum kit & the Korg M50! Your Fender Blacktop is too Hot, and your Entourage Rustic looks sweet!
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-26, 05:49   Link #502
Ritsu026
Ritsu's boyfriend

I'm embarrassed to tell you guys that my Fender's vibrato is missing and I can't find new one 'cuz my guitar is from 1973 and the new vibratos can't be used on it ;_;
Old 2011-10-17, 01:02   Link #503
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Smile

Sleeping with his homemade guitar! This is what I call love for the guitar! Brain's story is touching, for those who don't know who Brain May is. He is the Guitarist for Queen. I thought it would be nice to share his story of his guitar that he and his dad built from scrap bits. Its quite inspiring!

Spoiler for Summry of Video:
Old 2011-10-17, 01:54   Link #504
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Ui could probably make her own if she was inclined. Yui's likely hopeless. Mio's more lady-like, so I doubt that would appeal to her (though she drools on lefty basses). Jun's lazy. Ritsu would have no need, same with Sumire and Okuda. Mugi might do it for fun even though she can buy any guitar short of Brain May's personal guitar.

Not sure about Azusa. She's actually from a music family.

Sawako could probably make one with a bit of skill if you said it would be for cosplay, but also functional.
Old 2011-10-22, 20:06   Link #505
Blossom550

for those who are left handed

Blossom550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 00:08   Link #506
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom550 View Post
for those who are left handed

*nosebleed* I need that. Now.
Old 2011-10-23, 10:31   Link #507
Blossom550

i bet you do
Blossom550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 08:39   Link #508
LightMusicBand
To the salt mines

hey dudes, i just moved this discussion from the tabs and sheet music thread.

ok. well, i have a CRAPPY amp (which i just got from my friend), and a CRAPPY guitar effects (only in distortion, also got from my friend. yeah, i'm someone's DUMPSITE). i'm so disappointed with my setup now, that i'm saving some cash so that i could buy myself something this Christmas. i could picture my "equipment" for you to humor me, but i'm kinda busy at the moment. i'll try later on ok?

so, which is more ECONOMICAL and PRACTICAL to buy, a good amp (thinking of Marshal or Vypyr), or a multi-guitar effects (thinking of ZOOM)... (as recommended by my peers, and the guys in this forum, of course).

because a good amplifier can make it without the effects, and a good effects cana make a crappy amp sound great, right? (you could correct me if i'm wrong. no, seriously, feel free to humor me now)...

haha, tnx guys...

Last edited by LightMusicBand; 2011-11-14 at 08:58.
LightMusicBand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 14:13   Link #509
trenton_dawn
Silt

It depends on how crappy the amp. For practice I always used to use my 10-watt Fender beginner's pack amp lol, it sounds alright but not great. There's only so much you can get out of it no matter what you put in. But now I have a 15-watt keyboard amp (lol), the balance is a little weird for playing a guitar through but it's more than adequate since I only use it for the actual amplification.

If you are in need of an amp because your current one has insufficient speaker power/tone, then upgrade your amp. If you are just looking to add a bunch of effects and amp models, then I would recommend a multi-fx pedal. Of course you can always try modeling amps, the Vypyr line is pretty good though I don't think too much of the 15. Line 6 modeling amps suck. The Roland amps sound pretty good to me but I've only tried them in the shop, I don't own one. Behringer amps...hit or miss...they're cheap, and decent value for the price, but I always feel like I'm sacrificing quality if I were to buy one.
trenton_dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 06:27   Link #510
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightMusicBand View Post
hey dudes, i just moved this discussion from the tabs and sheet music thread.

ok. well, i have a CRAPPY amp (which i just got from my friend), and a CRAPPY guitar effects (only in distortion, also got from my friend. yeah, i'm someone's DUMPSITE). i'm so disappointed with my setup now, that i'm saving some cash so that i could buy myself something this Christmas. i could picture my "equipment" for you to humor me, but i'm kinda busy at the moment. i'll try later on ok?
Well ... why is your amp 'crappy'? Is it just not loud enough? Does it not have the right tone? Not enough features?

Quote:
so, which is more ECONOMICAL and PRACTICAL to buy, a good amp (thinking of Marshal or Vypyr), or a multi-guitar effects (thinking of ZOOM)... (as recommended by my peers, and the guys in this forum, of course).
Well, I'd say you're better off getting as good an amp as you can afford. A tinny, lifeless, amp will still sound like a tinny, lifeless, amp; regardless of what effects you stuff between the guitar and the amp.

Quote:
because a good amplifier can make it without the effects, and a good effects cana make a crappy amp sound great, right? (you could correct me if i'm wrong. no, seriously, feel free to humor me now)...
Not so much. They both work together. A good amp will give you a solid sonic foundation that you can then use to build your own unique sound through the careful use of effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton_dawn
Line 6 modeling amps suck.
I've found they can have quite a good sound, once dialed in. Only Line 6 insists on making this process as difficult as possible in their lower-end amps; thanks to their ridiculous notion that the amp must always start up in a default state that completely ignores wherever all the dials are actually pointing.
Old 2011-11-15, 06:56   Link #511
LightMusicBand
To the salt mines

as promised, (sort of), here are some pictures of my gear. (kinda blurry, but good enough for my taste). you can humor me now.

Spoiler for my secondhand gear... :

ok, i've decided to buy an amp. gonna find me a better music store than what i have now. (although i could buy an amp sooner, if it wasn't for the fact that i've spent all my money recently buying a new cellphone, which took the pics).

@GMT: how bad you say, imagine an empty can of sardines. try to hit it with a stick. that is what it sounds like.

although i am also thinking of buying a new guitar, but that could wait for another day...

wait. just for the heck of it, how much does a good quality amp cost? a good multi-guitar fx pedal? i need to gauge.

thanks...
Old 2011-11-15, 14:07   Link #512
trenton_dawn
Silt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
I've found they can have quite a good sound, once dialed in. Only Line 6 insists on making this process as difficult as possible in their lower-end amps; thanks to their ridiculous notion that the amp must always start up in a default state that completely ignores wherever all the dials are actually pointing.
Yeah, I suppose that's true. You have to read through the manual to discover the "hidden" settings and tweak them...and make sure to save your presets ha ha. I'm not too disappointed by my 15-watt Spider IV, but I can't help but feel that the money would have been better spent elsewhere (the tone still sounds a little sharp, not smooth enough).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightMusicBand View Post
wait. just for the heck of it, how much does a good quality amp cost? a good multi-guitar fx pedal? i need to gauge.

thanks...
In my experience the lowest you'll want to go is around $70-$100. In that range I think Zoom and maybe Digitech have the best quality (not too much experience with Digitech pedals here). Behringer I would avoid, I'm kind of biased against them though so you should at least try them if you have a chance. Make sure you like the sound, though, sometimes certain pedals can really sap your tone if their drive effects or amp models are too digital-sounding.

Amp-wise, a Peavey Vypyr 15 is about $100, and it's a pretty good amp. Line 6 pricing is similar so if you really want to try it go ahead. A 30-watt might be around $150=$170 but I'm not sure if you need an amp that big. But this is why I prefer to buy my effects in pedal form: with modeling amps wider range and better quality of effects only comes with the larger amps. The entry-level ones are fine but I found them a little limiting.
Old 2011-11-16, 00:02   Link #513
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I wonder what will happen after that new game "Rocksmith" comes out. I'm sure someone is going to attempt K-On songs on it with the appropreate guitars.
Old 2011-11-16, 00:24   Link #514
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I wonder what will happen after that new game "Rocksmith" comes out. I'm sure someone is going to attempt K-On songs on it with the appropreate guitars.
to be honest I'm not a big fan of this Rocksmith game. It takes away that unique learning experience that you can't get from playing a guitar game on you T.V., but I do like that its teaching people a skill. nonetheless im sure its tons of fun!
Old 2011-11-16, 00:47   Link #515
trenton_dawn
Silt

I'm psyched for "amp mode" in Rocksmith. If it's any good at all then it's worth the $80 right there (plus preorder snagged me a $25 Guitar Center gift certificate heh heh). But it seems like it could be a fun way to practice.
Old 2011-11-25, 21:28   Link #516
lilly_938

Question

I know this isn't the right thread for this, but I was hoping someone could help.
Iwasawa's guitar is a strat, but what kind? The only one I can find that's similar is an American standard strat (considering the only other thing known is that it's a Sienna Sunburst color and maple frets) but would she really be using that?

Thanks for any help.
lilly_938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-27, 03:25   Link #517
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnAwesomee View Post
My Music stuff montage

Spoiler for stuff:

Quote:
With all this bass talk I really want a bass now! Well I've always wanted one.., but now I want one more then ever!

Personally I want the Hofner 500/1 Vintage '62 Electric Bass
Spoiler for ...:

I finally got a bass! and something to hone my ambidextrousness!
The Bass I got is a Hofner 500/1 Vintage 1962 Electric Bass (Left handed) small symmetrical cute shape, with a warm sound! same bass Paul McCartney from the Beatles used >;D

Spoiler for Pictures:
Old 2011-11-27, 04:36   Link #518
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilly_938 View Post
I know this isn't the right thread for this, but I was hoping someone could help.
Iwasawa's guitar is a strat, but what kind? The only one I can find that's similar is an American standard strat (considering the only other thing known is that it's a Sienna Sunburst color and maple frets) but would she really be using that?

Thanks for any help.
Iwasawa from Angel Beats? Correct she plays a Fender American Standard Stratocaster Electric Guitar Sienna Sunburst. Its sweet guitar why wouldn't she be using it? other then that Animesuki also has a Angel Beats! sub forum for any miscellaneous Angel Beats! things.

Last edited by Afternoon Tea; 2011-11-27 at 15:56.
Old 2011-11-27, 06:44   Link #519
lilly_938

Well, I was wondering if she would be using an American Standard Strat (unless some are MIJ?).

Thanks for answering!
lilly_938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-27, 06:51   Link #520
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
I finally got a bass! and something to hone my ambidextrousness!
The Bass I got is a Hofner 500/1 Vintage 1962 Electric Bass (Left handed) small symmetrical cute shape, with a warm sound! same bass Paul McCartney from the Beatles used >;D

Spoiler for Pictures:
You do seem to be quite the Beatles fan...
How much did that bad boy/girl cost?