AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2020-03-12, 18:01   Link #21
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

The hospitals where I work at have confirmed COVID cases on isolation. Gonna attend some meetings for case handling and containment as I may be on deck for some radiologic procedures on these patients. Hopefully we're also given exeptions on the local travel ban.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-12, 18:04   Link #22
Key Board
Carbon

Question

As said in another thread, China tried to suppress the reports and keep the numbers low, but they have taken containment efforts seriously, and shared the viral genome information with the world in record time.

Meanwhile the US has voted against an emergency paid leave bill, is behind the curve on testing kits, and seems more concerned with the health of the stock market than slowing infection.

And delegating the issue to Jared Kushner on top of that....

China's response is better.

On another note, I think Japan is also trying to suppress the number of reports because of Olympics 2020
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-12, 18:23   Link #23
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Yea, I think China was trying to keep the information down so they wont look too bad and Italy is a totally mess.

But I am so disappointed with President Trump, U.S. Congress, and others in power here. This would be happening if they got off their butts in the beginning to stop it but they were fussing between each other and Trump being a idiot as usual. Now he has to deal wtih Bear Market, all of the gains he did is almost gone and a growing number of infected people
Old 2020-03-12, 18:27   Link #24
Toukairin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
The hospitals where I work at have confirmed COVID cases on isolation. Gonna attend some meetings for case handling and containment as I may be on deck for some radiologic procedures on these patients. Hopefully we're also given exeptions on the local travel ban.
Stay safe at all times, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
As said in another thread, China tried to suppress the reports and keep the numbers low, but they have taken containment efforts seriously, and shared the viral genome information with the world in record time.

Meanwhile the US has voted against an emergency paid leave bill, is behind the curve on testing kits, and seems more concerned with the health of the stock market than slowing infection.

And delegating the issue to Jared Kushner on top of that....

On another note, I think Japan is also trying to suppress the number of reports because of Olympics 2020
To be honest, I think that Western countries should have absorbed lessons from responses in Taiwan and in Singapore a hell lot earlier than just sitting in wait for China to say something. By the way, Taiwanese labs are doing a lot of work with research and genome decoding as well; they could have sent the information within the same timeframe. I won't fall for whatever attempt from China to whitewash the fact that they (the CCP) also failed hard at their job.

As for the US, voting against an emergency and temporary paid leave bill is about as stupid as it gets. Seriously, all they can shove all concern about the stock market up where the sun does not shine. And **** Jared too.

As for Japan, I hope they look at UEFA and consider postponing to 2021 as a sensible plan B for the Olympics. UEFA already shoved the Euros up to next year.
Toukairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-12, 18:31   Link #25
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

Japan is a ticking time bomb.
They deliberately refuse to test people.

https://www.businessinsider.com/masa...navirus-2020-3
Old 2020-03-12, 18:38   Link #26
Toukairin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheForsaken View Post
Japan is a ticking time bomb.
They deliberately refuse to test people.

https://www.businessinsider.com/masa...navirus-2020-3
What the hell is wrong with those people? Offering test kits should be a bare minimum, especially when everyone and the dog knows how old the Japanese population is.
Old 2020-03-12, 18:51   Link #27
kari-no-sugata II

Just posting stuff I've read elsewhere: in the West, the peak will likely occur 2-3 months from now.

ie this is just the start and it's going to get worse for next 3 months.
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-12, 19:02   Link #28
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

When I saw the thread title I thought it was an unorthodox third party movement. Maybe a platform for Tulsi Gabbard.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-12, 19:55   Link #29
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Aaaaand we're out of hand sanitizers and Sterillium. Had to go outside and buy my own from pharmacies, who themselves are low on stock.

Used the plural form because I had to go to 3 pharmacies just for a few bottles. Had to leave my own for my grandma at home who had ckd5 and is 91yo, and is very much at risk for serious conplications
Old 2020-03-12, 20:10   Link #30
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

The Joe Rogan podcast with Michael Osterholm is really in-depth with laying out the reality of CoViD-19 and dispelling all the rumours and lies floating around:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

And no ramlean, even being optimistic, we're not seeing that vaccine until at least September AFTER the testing phase is done and that's not taking into account the manufacturing and distribution of said vaccine to everyone. The peak of the virus will be May at the earliest and July in the best case scenario.
Old 2020-03-12, 21:14   Link #31
Toukairin
Banned

They just confirmed that Canada's First Lady has been tested positive for COVID-19 after a trip to the UK. As a consequence at the moment, our Prime Minister has imposed a self-quarantine.

In Canada, provincial premiers have also taken a number of measures today to curb the spreading of the virus. We are urged to stay at home now. Indoor gatherings of 250+ people are now banned, with good reasons. It's utter madness.
Old 2020-03-12, 21:21   Link #32
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheForsaken View Post
1/ Please don't use the word "the world". Asian countries are doing quite well. It's the West who underestimated the threat and now they are going to pay the ultimate price.
2/ How exactly is the West "responding accordingly"? They spent two months sneering at China while doing nothing. I doubt the result will be any different if they have two more months.
1. World for majority who are still clueless, struggling and grasping for straws. Few countries have done well due to early start but that's due to vicinity to the source and luck is also a factor.
2. It's true that the West is paying the price for their stupidity but this is not the worst. Worst things will come in due time. I will be laughing from my grave.
Grifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-12, 21:47   Link #33
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

The whole "I don't need an outbreak medical team thing so I'm going to kinda... underfund and delete that government function" attitude thing from Trump is top-level foreshadowing, I must say.

...Of course, that's a joke. The buffoon doesn't have that intelligence. But I do get a kick out of the saying that he can't use his cronies for once to harass the enemy (the virus).

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-12, 21:53   Link #34
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifis View Post
It's not so much that China was being proactive. They had to cover up the virus leaked from their lab asap and it's all because of their coverup that the world isn't responding accordingly.
There is no 100% smoking gun proof that the virus was a lab leak....seriously. It could be, but to say it is when no real signs point to it is pure cynicism

And no, that couple of page long, middle-school standard "research paper" from that Chinese scientist's Researchgate profile does not count. It's more likely his profile was hacked by trolls or something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toukairin View Post
Taiwan has had the best response to the COVID-19 so far. As early as December, they applied a number of aggressive measures such as:
  • Travel bans
  • Quarantines
  • Surveillance steps
  • Social distancing
  • Etc.

The whole list of 124 actions can be found here.

Taiwan set up a command center that processes and coordinates all the information. Taiwanese health authorities also went onto every airplane that came from Wuhan back then to check people for symptoms. But the most important is that they took whatever was needed to educate the population time and time again about the virus. As a result, they only have had 45 cases or so since the very beginning.

Wherever you are, you must tweet or write to your local representative/senator about this. I think Western governments have been particularly poor in the way they handled the problem, especially by ignoring for too long what Taiwan did to curb the spreading.
Taiwan is exemplary in their response but unfortunately they are pumping out sensationalist fake news about the virus by the truck load in their propaganda war with the CCP. It does nothing other than stoke mass panic

Last edited by Cosmic Eagle; 2020-03-12 at 22:23.
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-12, 22:58   Link #35
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toukairin View Post
What the hell is wrong with those people? Offering test kits should be a bare minimum, especially when everyone and the dog knows how old the Japanese population is.
What I am going to say is purely a conspiracy theory, you can say it is the result of 30+ years of me watching anime and you would not be wrong.

But how about, they are doing it on purpose and not because they want to have the olympics this year? From an economic standpoint, japan has a severe problem due to their aging population. Coupled with their no immigration policy, it is a bad end.

Even in the age of Trump there is no way they can institute a Logan's Run policy, but a virus like this can prune the 60+ population while leaving those twenty or less unharmed.

No, I am not saying the japanese goverment created the virus, just like the bush administration did not made 9/11, but you know the saying "a crisis is a window of opportunity" and profiting from a crisis is politics 101.

El psy congro
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-12, 23:08   Link #36
ramlaen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
China, or more specifically the CCP, is actively trying to gaslight the origin of Coronavirus because of their role in it becoming a worldwide pandemic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
And no ramlean, even being optimistic, we're not seeing that vaccine until at least September AFTER the testing phase is done and that's not taking into account the manufacturing and distribution of said vaccine to everyone. The peak of the virus will be May at the earliest and July in the best case scenario.
And September would be much faster than normal for a new vaccine to reach the public, the point being made is that one or more vaccines have been developed in less than a month.

Last edited by ramlaen; 2020-03-12 at 23:19.
ramlaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-12, 23:14   Link #37
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

One of our sister centers (literally next door neighbor) is going under lockdown as one doctor was admitted and intubated, undergoing testing for the virus. A few doctors are also under quarantine.
Old 2020-03-13, 00:01   Link #38
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramlaen View Post
China, or more specifically the CCP, is actively trying to gaslight the origin of Coronavirus because of their role in it becoming a worldwide pandemic.
It's irrelevant what the Chinese government says about its origin as there's more than enough evidence on their initial f*ck up in allowing the virus to initially spread and in censuring doctors. Their authoritarianism is very similar to the worst right wing governments in the world in that respect.

That said, their response has still been profound: COVID-19: Study says placing Wuhan under lockdown delayed spread by nearly 80%

Quote:
And September would be much faster than normal for a new vaccine to reach the public, the point being made is that one or more vaccines have been developed in less than a month.
September would be if everything went right. Far too optimistic.
That vaccine will probably be widely available in 2021 or 2022 if the testing phase doesn't go well.

Yes, the development of a vaccine this quick is great in the long term. But we're buggered in the short term given how badly the West has been handling this.

---

Additionally, a decent video explaining the mathematics of epidemics (with a spotlight on COVID-19):

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2020-03-13, 05:22   Link #39
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

The doctor I posted about is currently in critical condition. Apparently her confirmed positive patient lied about travel history and wasn't triaged properly as a result. Both of them were tested when the doctor started showing symptoms and they both ended up positive. The patient is stable but the doctor is currently teetering between life and death.

Please be honest with your doctors. Not only will it help save your life, but your doctor's life as well.
Old 2020-03-13, 06:25   Link #40
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...e-u-s-does-not

Head of Harvard Global Health Institute:

Quote:
"'Our (U.S.) response is much, much worse than almost any other country that's been affected' ... He uses the words 'stunning,' 'fiasco' and 'mind-blowing' to describe how bad it is. 'And I don't understand it.'"
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote