Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-01-06, 21:37   Link #161
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoEnderZOE2 View Post
But sir I am offended by your other statement. hmph I can't speak for other people but I do not play these games with my pants down and a box of tissue next to me.

I play them while usually eating slices of pizza and sometimes brownies or milk and cookies next to the monitor to eat after I finish the pizza.
Well, I had to play quite a few games with very, very cold legs before I learned it the hard way. Damn these wishy-washy games that takes forever to get to the point!
Old 2009-01-06, 21:52   Link #162
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Well, I had to play quite a few games with very, very cold legs before I learned it the hard way. Damn these wishy-washy games that takes forever to get to the point!
But the sex isn't really the point anymore. Not in the good games anyway. (Although from my limited experience, the better visual novels tend to be the ones that don't have any sex and aren't eroge at all). I think that's why people are so adamant about a distinction between eroge and hentai games. The sex is generally incidental in most of the better eroge.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-06, 22:02   Link #163
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Eh, I wasn't looking for a maji-res (serious response) to a toilet humor....
Sheesh, do I really look like the type of person to walk around with my shinanigans hanging ou.... oh nevermind.

aaaaanyways, I finally saw the first ep.
.......wow, my memory really is rusty. I had totally forgotten about the "best friend" and his attraction to Misaki-san.

I chuckled at 163 yen to a dollar though.
Oh, and the comic books on the shelf were awesome.
Mezonetto Takahashi? Tap? Cash Eye!? Kajikazawa Syndicate??? Touya's got good taste in his selection of comics, that's for sure.
(Maison Ikkoku by Rumiko Takahashi, Touch, Cat's Eye, and Karuizawa Syndrome)
Lots of memorable parodies in the background.... Jaikel Macson anyone?
Old 2009-01-06, 22:33   Link #164
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
After watching this episode again with the subs which has allowed me to understand the situation more clearly...

Right...

This won't be ending pretty if the male lead is going to let his harem hang...and boy is it hanging

*Rubs hand and polishes pitchfork*

@aohige ~ you've made my day with those wise cracks XD

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-06, 23:04   Link #165
Oxtail

I think this show has good potential for angst/drama, but the comedy in it kind of falls flat. It feels out of place and every time someone makes a joke I just think to myself "am I supposed to laugh?". Sometimes I can't even tell if they're trying to make a joke or not.

I do love the mid 80's setting. 160 yen to the dollar, lol. 7 years later it would double in value. And the phone cards! I'm digging the nostalgia.

I really really don't like it when Aya Hirano plays "nice" girls. Her Minato/Yuki voice just doesn't sound natural to me. I think she sounds much better when she voices girls with a bit of attitude or some quirkiness.
Oxtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-06, 23:41   Link #166
Kouvley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxtail View Post
I really really don't like it when Aya Hirano plays "nice" girls. Her Minato/Yuki voice just doesn't sound natural to me. I think she sounds much better when she voices girls with a bit of attitude or some quirkiness.
Agreed.

She sounds like she's trying too hard to me which I shouldn't really fault her for i suppose, hopefully she will get better as she gets more into the role.

As for the episode itself, not knowing what to expect going into it I found it a bit underwhelming to be honest. I can see some potential though so I'll probably stick around for a few more episodes.
Kouvley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-07, 00:36   Link #167
Julius Firefocht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxtail View Post
I thought Aya did a fair job, considering she is voicing a new idol with the stars still in her eyes, so to say. Passionate for her job, enthusiastic and naive to a certain degree. If Aya was aiming to portray these qualities, then she has succeeded, at least in my opinion.

She still can't compare to the pure win that is Nana though.
Rightousness is our Shield, Faith our armour and Hatred our weapon.
Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death.
~~~~~

Blog featuring anime, manga, seiyuus, tabletop wargames (WH40K) and everything in between: http://nk-ds.org/
Julius Firefocht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-07, 00:48   Link #168
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I liked this first ep. It had some real emotion about it, and people seemed to have interior lives. More seinen than just harem. In fact, perhaps because of the college level of the people, I got some Honey & Clover vibes -- and that would be a good thing.

The guy and Yuki both seem to me to be at a higher level of emotional intensity and truth than most anime characters. Sure, Hirano is somewhat unnatural. That's her style, man. She pushes a lot of feeling through that filter, though. We'll see how it goes: if Yuki really is so fey, and fragile-but-resilient, then the voice works. If she isn't, it doesn't.

I have sometimes thought that Hirano only succeeds when she can make the running, and doesn't have to fit in with a more normal style. Here, I think Maeno is following her to the outer reaches. He's painting a fairly weird character. Which could be a good thing, as far as I am concerned.

Nana-chan's character is a wonderful one, but Nana-chan's very normal delivery makes her fade almost out of sight, for me. This is what I worried about from the start: that Nana-chan's standard pro voice would make Hirano sound incompetent, and Hirano's vividness would make Nana-chan disappear. So far, both may be happening. But maybe it doesn't matter.

The story is working very well for me. And so are the characters. Then again, I loved KGnE, and found the guy twice as interesting as most harem leads. Seinen realism versus shounen cliche.

As you would expect, 2channel seems to be obsessing over the 1980s details. I thought the details were given very well, and the various odd tricks -- long sequences wandering over artifacts of the time; thoughts and descriptions written out on-screen -- all worked for me.

There's something pretty clunky about the look and some of the direction. I thought there were jerky movements, and I noticed some tentacular hands. But I liked some of the details, such as the bag-strap slipping off the guy's shoulder in the scene with Yuki after school.

Anyway, I'm eager to see ep2.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-07, 03:16   Link #169
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

I like the melancholic style of this one. There's a few shows of this type that I've seen use this style, but it's still something that's fresh enough for me that I enjoy the contrast to the mood of typical harem shows.

On the other hand, I'm not sure about the characters. They're okay so far, but I'm worried that at some point one of them is going to slip from merely melancholic to outright whiny. I'm well aware that college isn't all fun and parties for everyone (it can actually be somewhat lonely if you're a heavy studier), but if any of the characters start getting really whiny, it's going to get annoying fast. It's a bit annoying but understandable when teens do it, it's VERY annoying when adult characters do it.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-07, 04:02   Link #170
zzeroparticle
NEET

Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
I think people have pretty much commented about the angst, which only makes sense because of Yuki's idol career that's pretty much separated the couple through the distance that work tends to create. The distance becomes even further, especially if Yuki manages to reach celebrity status to the point that the rift becomes irreparable, so we're going to have to see how the relationship will be reconciled, which should be interesting to see.

It's still hard to judge it from just one episode, but I am looking forwards to see how the scenario develops as well as the way the show fleshes out the characters even more.

If there's anything I immediately like about this series though, it's gotta be the BGM.
zzeroparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-07, 04:59   Link #171
meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
(´・ω・`)

Aha~, I see...
Though, still, if the characters don't act the way they did, the game wouldn't be what it was. That wouldn't be good... I mean, if Makoto was this ideal prince charming with the will of... some great protagonist, we wouldn't have some of the routes the game had.
Ah well, the heroines are more important and better anyways, in School Days...
Well, I don't expect them to be prince charming, but as long as they're okay. As in, "is he someone I'd love to be friends with" type of a thing. Anyway, this is going way off topic, so I'll stop here.

Hoping for some good drama in the future. This season is kind of slim when it comes to things to watch, so really hoping his series is a good one.
meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-07, 09:55   Link #172
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Episode 1 article is up:

[RIUVA] Trial Run: White Album, Episode 1

It's very intriguing for many reasons, so I'm giving this the 3-episode trial run.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-07, 10:06   Link #173
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Eh. People complain about the angst (like me at times.... True Tears was an ANGST FEST and it had no real ending or logic to it..), but I'm sure everybody who were interested at 1st ep will continue watching it. Like housewives or something.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-07, 10:33   Link #174
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Eh. People complain about the angst (like me at times.... True Tears was an ANGST FEST and it had no real ending or logic to it..), but I'm sure everybody who were interested at 1st ep will continue watching it. Like housewives or something.
LMAO housewives

The angst part is what is going to separate people who are fairly interested in the series to those who are just passing by. Im sure we will see a fair bit of people drop the series because the angst is too much for them. I mean look at what TT did to people. I think several forum members need Prozac and therapy half way through the series.

But the harem potential could keep plenty of people sticking around for more. So far i could 2 possible love interest including his already girlfriend Yuki. Cant remember names yet but The girl his friend has been interested in for 5 years and Yuki's Idol friend. The potential for all out war is growing by the min.

I just hope i can get use to Aya Hirano voicing Yuki it sounds forced and just generally too happy.
Old 2009-01-07, 16:06   Link #175
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
I just hope i can get use to Aya Hirano voicing Yuki it sounds forced and just generally too happy.
Forced and too happy? Seems to me like that might be intentional given the character.

As for the angst thing, angst itself will rarely kill a show for me. It's how the characters act because of the angst. Hence why I say it will be annoying if they get really whiny or something.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-07, 16:14   Link #176
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Forced and too happy? Seems to me like that might be intentional given the character.

As for the angst thing, angst itself will rarely kill a show for me. It's how the characters act because of the angst. Hence why I say it will be annoying if they get really whiny or something.
I don't know i just cant put my finger on it. Its not like I hate her voice i love it there is just something that sticks around in my head when i hear voice Yuki's role. I don't i cant pin point it exactly i guess i just like it when she a little bit of attitude or is snarky in some way. Oh well after a couple of more episodes my feelings on it will probably fade.

Angst doesn't bother me as long as its done right. But as you stated a lot of people get whiny and bitchy about and end up dropping a series. As long as the progression of the story and character development and interaction are on point there shouldn't be any problems.
Old 2009-01-07, 17:45   Link #177
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
That last statement was fairly offensive. And the rest I just personally disagree with. true tears was a very good, if not excellent show, with real characters and a story that did, in fact, make sense, especially emotionally.

It bothers me to see people classifying what I regard as true emotion as "angst." It just seems like a way of dismissing feelings that deserve to be taken seriously. I think of these things as emotional depth.

As for Aya in this show, what I hear is not what Sinestra described as "too happy." It's someone in over her head, who knows she should be happy but is really just rushing forward on the path she thinks she wants. I hear an undercurrent of confusion and panic, myself.

This voice is a version of the voice Aya has been using recently: in Hyakko and Akasaka. It's Aya at her least naturalistic, it seems to me, and that is something that can easily put one off. It's not my favorite Aya voice, but it does do a good job of conveying emotional fragility, anyway.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-07, 18:36   Link #178
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"

Quote:
I'm a bit offended as well, True Tears did have logic and a real ending. It's one thing to express one's opinions, but to call other people who likes to watch things to the end like housewives is not only insensitive but tinged with misogyny.
Old 2009-01-07, 19:36   Link #179
SwiftStrike
Reaching for the Heavens

I guess i'l hear more singing in the future eps?
SwiftStrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-07, 19:56   Link #180
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post

As for Aya in this show, what I hear is not what Sinestra described as "too happy." It's someone in over her head, who knows she should be happy but is really just rushing forward on the path she thinks she wants. I hear an undercurrent of confusion and panic, myself.

This voice is a version of the voice Aya has been using recently: in Hyakko and Akasaka. It's Aya at her least naturalistic, it seems to me, and that is something that can easily put one off. It's not my favorite Aya voice, but it does do a good job of conveying emotional fragility, anyway.
Thats what i couldnt convey thanks Kaoru Chujo for the help. Thats exactly what i feel when i hear her voicing this particular character it doesnt seem or feel natural.

Tags
drama, eroge, romance, seinen