AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2009-05-15, 03:00   Link #1
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

ScriptClub Reborn

For those of you who remember www.scriptclub.org you know how great of a loss it was when that database went down. I have for the past year been attempting to create a new version of this resource for the same uses that the original was for. This project will remain true to the original system of scriptclub with addition security features to further reduce the use of these scripts by DVD rippers, bootleggers, and other fansub groups misusing other peoples work for their own personal gains.

If you were a script club member in the past and still have scripts form scriptclub, I request that you please help the new one by supplying as many of these scripts to the project as possible. I have tried to contact the original scriptclub owners on many occasions, but they are MIA. If you have contact with them, that would also be of great help. Their input would be of priceless value in the development of a new version.

On another note, we are going to begin beta testing soon. Beta testing will be quite exclusive. We will only be accepting group leaders, of well established groups, who have a highly trusted reputation in the community for "ethical" behavior. This means they have never been accused of script theft, ftp/site hacking, group attacking.

Thanks to the following people.

"TheFluff" for the work he is doing with Aegisub atm which entails the importing of very old subtitle formats so they may be converted to .ssa/.ass.

"MasterCJ" repository development team

"Kou" repository development team

And to the current beta testers and persons who have donated scripts already.
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-15, 04:34   Link #2
dj_tjerk
Ana-chan~

Quote:
This project will remain true to the original system of scriptclub with addition security features to further reduce the use of these scripts by DVD rippers, bootleggers, and other fansub groups misusing other peoples work for their own personal gains.
So what will it be for?
dj_tjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-15, 06:02   Link #3
pichu
*Fansubber

The scripts repository will be nothing more than SVN or GITS? Then, it's just installing and configuring... I don't see the need for repository developers... I can see a necessity to develop front-end interfaces, which most SITES FAIL miserably, for the users....
pichu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-15, 06:49   Link #4
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_tjerk View Post
So what will it be for?
I would like to ask this as well.

Also, I assume we're talking about translated episode scripts here or something, as it didn't really come clear at all in the post itself.

So what is the purpose of this site? How will it work? How will it help its community? Surely you aren't just going to completely ignore people who haven't heard of the thing before and go "oldsubbers practicing ethical lawbreaking -only" with this club of yours.

Last edited by Daiz; 2009-05-15 at 07:06.
Daiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-15, 07:05   Link #5
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by getfresh View Post
"TheFluff" for the work he is doing with Aegisub atm which entails the importing of very old subtitle formats so they may be converted to .ssa/.ass.
thank you for the shoutout but don't get me involved in your elitist faggotry thanks
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-15, 07:07   Link #6
日本ひきこもり協会
awarpsharp is good

I'm confused.

Quote:
this resource for the same uses that the original was for. This project will remain true to the original system of scriptclub with addition security features to further reduce the use of these scripts by DVD rippers, bootleggers, and other fansub groups misusing other peoples work for their own personal gains.
The original system was that people could upload scripts and people who registered on that page could download them. The membership was free, everyone could register.
So why the security features if you want to be like the scriptclub where everyone could freely download the scripts?

DVDRippers can easily OCR the scripts. Using OCR is one of the fundamental things for a dvdripper. And why do you make the scripts public in the first place if you don't want other to use them? If credit-whoring is the concern of the uploaders, I can assure you that people who re-encode stuff and upload it on tokyotosho or even DVD groups credit the fansub groups who initially translated the episodes accordingly.

Not to mention, many groups use softsubs nowadays so what's the point of these anti-theft measures? Demuxing the subs is pretty much idiot proof. And if groups were so concerned about their scripts, they wouldn't softsub it in the first place.

To summarize it: the idea is very good but the anti-theft bullshit is plain stupid.

Also what's this repository development crap? Just use a simple php script that's freely available that will do the stuff. And don't even think about SVN. That's retarded. Just re-create the old simple system and everyone girl will offer you her virginity.
日本ひきこもり協会 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-15, 08:24   Link #7
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
thank you for the shoutout but don't get me involved in your elitist faggotry thanks
Has nothing to do with "elitist faggotry" as you call it. It is just meant as a resource for groups to use. I'd rather you didn't make assumptions all the time. There isn't going to be a who is better or who is right about this thing, and the "ethical" statement only meant that they are groups that are not ripping off scripts from other groups or doing shady things. It has nothing to do with licensed or unlicensed at all. This project has nothing to do with any type of which "side" people are on. It is just an information database for the use of historical reference as well as research into sub formats, methods of script creation by different groups, different typesetting methods, and so on. All scripts would be for individual members personal use and not meant for public usage since they already have fansubs using them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 日本ひきこもり協会 View Post
I'm confused.

The original system was that people could upload scripts and people who registered on that page could download them. The membership was free, everyone could register.
So why the security features if you want to be like the scriptclub where everyone could freely download the scripts?

DVDRippers can easily OCR the scripts. Using OCR is one of the fundamental things for a dvdripper. And why do you make the scripts public in the first place if you don't want other to use them? If credit-whoring is the concern of the uploaders, I can assure you that people who re-encode stuff and upload it on tokyotosho or even DVD groups credit the fansub groups who initially translated the episodes accordingly.

Not to mention, many groups use softsubs nowadays so what's the point of these anti-theft measures? Demuxing the subs is pretty much idiot proof. And if groups were so concerned about their scripts, they wouldn't softsub it in the first place.

To summarize it: the idea is very good but the anti-theft bullshit is plain stupid.

Also what's this repository development crap? Just use a simple php script that's freely available that will do the stuff. And don't even think about SVN. That's retarded. Just re-create the old simple system and everyone girl will offer you her virginity.
It's rather simple, not all groups wish to have their scripts totally available to everyone anonymously. Also there is no reason to make it even easier for people to rip off scripts. And the development thing has more to do with structure of the system than anything. Anyone can trash an idea and be negative to things. If that is all you are capable of, please keep it to yourself. Since you obviously do not want anything to do with it just leave it at that.
Old 2009-05-15, 08:51   Link #8
日本ひきこもり協会
awarpsharp is good

Quote:
It's rather simple, not all groups wish to have their scripts totally available to everyone anonymously. Also there is no reason to make it even easier for people to rip off scripts.
Even on scriptclub the scripts had credits and hell, if people want to upload scripts anonymously it's fine too. Well, nowadays people die to see themselves being credited so I kind of fail to understand where you got the idea of sending anonymous scripts. Yesy used to publish their scripts and no one claimed to have translated them. Other groups that used yesy's scripts credited them, too. I don't really see the need to encrypt or do some other pointless shit.

And it's not about making it easier or harder for people who might eventually rip them. Just make them freely available and everyone is happy.

What I'm trashing is that elitist faggotry aspect which is pretty superfluous considering this is supposed to be a service for all people who just want the scripts.

So this is supposed to be (pseudo)scriptclub 2009 fansub circle-jerk edition or what?
Old 2009-05-15, 09:00   Link #9
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
Even on scriptclub the scripts had credits and hell, if people want to upload scripts anonymously it's fine too. Well, nowadays people die to see themselves being credited so I kind of fail to understand where you got the idea of sending anonymous scripts. Yesy used to publish their scripts and no one claimed to have translated them. Other groups that used yesy's scripts credited them, too. I don't really see the need to encrypt or do some other pointless shit.

And it's not about making it easier or harder for people who might eventually rip them. Just make them freely available and everyone is happy.

What I'm trashing is that elitist faggotry aspect which is pretty superfluous considering this is supposed to be a service for all people who just want the scripts.

So this is supposed to be (pseudo)scriptclub 2009 fansub circle-jerk edition or what?
Anonymous as in who is grabbing the scripts, not as in who is uploading them. The tracking for leech is so that we can better tell if someone is using another groups scripts to release their own versions. Also if the group should so choose they can make their scripts totally public. They are their scripts and they can do with them as they should so wish. But as that is true, some groups do not wish for their scripts to be available to everyone openly or some groups want to be able to stop share on scripts if they are licensed. I have to respect those types of wishes.
Old 2009-05-15, 09:12   Link #10
日本ひきこもり協会
awarpsharp is good

Quote:
Anonymous as in who is grabbing the scripts, not as in who is uploading them. The tracking for leech is so that we can better tell if someone is using another groups scripts to release their own versions. Also if the group should so choose they can make their scripts totally public. They are their scripts and they can do with them as they should so wish. But as that is true, some groups do not wish for their scripts to be available to everyone openly or some groups want to be able to stop share on scripts if they are licensed. I have to respect those types of wishes.
You do realize that putting them in a simple folder would be sufficient if you want the leecher to be anonymous? Only the IP address will display in httpd logs. Not to mention, you can disable that too. But now here comes the contradiction, or at least that's what I understood.

First you said you will make the grabber anonymous and then you talk about tracking the people. What? And if you post your scripts to the public, you can be pretty sure it'll be hard to prevent others to use them. So it's basically either everyone can use it or just the elitist buddys. But that would defeat the purpose. If groups decide to stop sharing their scripts upon licensing then you can always manually disable that upon request. Though don't forget, once the scripts are made public it's pretty hard to prevent them being reposted somewhere else.

That brings me back to my question: Why make it so complicated? Just keep the spirit of the original site and everyone is happy.
Old 2009-05-15, 10:15   Link #11
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
It's rather simple, not all groups wish to have their scripts totally available to everyone anonymously.
the fact is that they (the scripts) already are, it happens the instant an episode is released

Here's what would be ACTUALLY useful: write a script that parses tokyotosho's torrent rss feed and/or anidb's new releases rss feed, downloads anything that is likely to be softsubbed, mkvextracts the subtitles and posts to a database; for older or hardsubbed (gay) stuff let people contribute scripts manually.

THAT would be an incredible resource. This is doomed to irrelevancy from the start.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-15, 10:20   Link #12
Access

Quote:
I think you are fooling yourself is you think some kind of security can work today. It's just too hard to control, there are too many ways for stuff to get out and even if you can control the original access to your site, you can't control what happens to the file after that, ie. if the person trades it, puts it on their own personal / group server, shares it, you have collectors / archivers who just go around and get everything just to archive / trade it later, etc. Stuff is either kept off completely, or it gets out to the general public, that is what the internet has taught everyone in short over the last seven years. Access control is much easier said then done, ie. keeping things in the hands of 'some people only'.

Anyways today are there groups that would put out a script but not make a release? I know scriptclub was useful _then_, but would it be of use _now_? Today if I want to make a showing for my club, I just get the release and hook up the laptop or computer to the VGA port of the TV. I could see it being a bit of a general resource, for someone who want to learn, but nothing more... honestly I think it would just end up as a target for achivalists or collectors who join sites like that, download everything, store it for future posterity, and then move on...

I think if you want to make it as a learner or a historical site, or a tutorial, you have to archive everything, not just the .ssa or but also the avisynth scripts, raws, etc. that went into a given release being created. Lots of people want perfect timing today so having a script without a given raw... even changing from one raw to another can quite often screw things up.

Just my thoughts... if you want to do it and there's groups willing to participate... just don't think it (can) or (will) be something that it can't...
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-15, 10:56   Link #13
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
First you said you will make the grabber anonymous and then you talk about tracking the people. What? And if you post your scripts to the public, you can be pretty sure it'll be hard to prevent others to use them. So it's basically either everyone can use it or just the elitist buddys. But that would defeat the purpose. If groups decide to stop sharing their scripts upon licensing then you can always manually disable that upon request. Though don't forget, once the scripts are made public it's pretty hard to prevent them being reposted somewhere else.
No, that was never my point, and if it came across that way my fault. I never meant to say that I want to make grabbers anonymous. What I was saying is this. IF groups wish to have their scripts totally public without the requirement of someone being a member they can do so. If they wish to restrict access to even members at any time they can do so. For scripts that are members only access the downloading of those scripts will be logged and if a situation arises where a group feels their scripts are being used by a certain person or party in ways that break the rules of the site then we can check the logs at least.
Old 2009-05-15, 11:32   Link #14
twilightNoir
English Hero

eta till FANSUBBER DRM?
twilightNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-15, 12:27   Link #15
D404
Banned

You had the start of a good idea... until the 'security' thing. If that does indeed see the light of day, I'll be surprised. On a side note, I may take TheFluff's idea there and run with it.
D404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-15, 13:08   Link #16
KiryuuKazumanosuke

So you're taking people's scripts and throwing them in a database without securing the permission of the translator and their team? What's the point? Who uses these old scripts and why?
KiryuuKazumanosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-15, 13:32   Link #17
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiryuuKazumanosuke View Post
So you're taking people's scripts and throwing them in a database without securing the permission of the translator and their team? What's the point? Who uses these old scripts and why?
Actually, if you had been reading the whole thread, there was no mention of ripping scripts from shows and posting them without permission. I believe Getfresh stated that people could decline posting of their scripts.

And the older scripts are sometimes used to redo a favorite old show. Some shows were never picked up by pro companies and will never see the light of digital. I remember utilizing the old Script Club to download scripts to use with my LDs. Now that some of the old shows are now available on DVD some folks want to sub them.

In the olden days script sharing actually happened. We uploaded many of ours way back then.

Anyway, can't see why everyone is freaking out over the idea. Instead of sniping offer suggestions on how to make it happen. But this is the internet.(sigh)
Old 2009-05-15, 13:58   Link #18
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0

No-one is really "freaking out" over the idea of script sharing, just pointing out the stupidity in the described "super security"-model of it.
Daiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-15, 15:43   Link #19
Slice of Life
eyewitness

So lets assume Mr. X downloads a script and distributes it. How do you know it wasn't Mr. Y or Mr. Z who downloaded the script too? Hide a registry number in the timing data? And assuming you ban Mr. X, how do you prevent him from register again via another proxy?
Old 2009-05-15, 16:43   Link #20
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
So lets assume Mr. X downloads a script and distributes it. How do you know it wasn't Mr. Y or Mr. Z who downloaded the script too? Hide a registry number in the timing data? And assuming you ban Mr. X, how do you prevent him from register again via another proxy?
It would work like this. First a group makes a claim of misuse against another group. We then check the records as well as comparing the 2 diff groups releases on a timing level. Anyone who times knows that if 1/2 of the times are matching up completely or with a equal scale of expansion or contraction to the times then its pretty obvious it is the same script. As another measure of checking we would look for who recently accessed/downloaded the script from the offending group. If all things match up then thats that. Also different proxies mean nothing when registered ppl must be registered under their actual nick used in fansubbing. Furthermore, even if they do change nicks and trick ppl into thinking they are a diff person, there are ways of finding out their are the same person. People who do things like this generally are not very slick and like to brag about what they are doing, word will get around one way or another and they will be found out. Of course there will be some ppl who skate under the radar. No system like this is perfect, but we can at least make it harder to get away with it and try our best to stop it from happening. In the end we just hope people would not go that far. Of course as the repository expands it is hoped that other people will give input and additional methods for tracking and catching these types of things with greater precision.