AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2024-03-27, 19:44   Link #261
The Green One

It'll be sad when next Wednesday rolls around and I won't have this to look forward to. This was a really fun series and it's very rare to see an Anime expand the adaptation as much as this one did. Didn't hurt that it was often the lewd stuff too. Really hope we get a second season, this story has a lot left to tell. Well there's always the manga to enjoy.

Sayonara you wonderfully lewd series you. Thank you for having us question every week how this managed to air on TV.
Old 2024-03-27, 20:23   Link #262
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well ending with a beach episode and everyone is at the beach but got to hand it to Kiwi knowing how to pick out a good swimsuit for Utena but just so stupid transforms leading to such a nice fight with the octopus

8/10 Need more
Old 2024-03-27, 21:08   Link #263
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
A feel good last episode for sure. Honestly I'm glad they could end it on a note like this. It had been 95% things looking absolutely hopeless for the magical girls. And when faced with a group that actually doesn't have any major plans it'd almost be better for them to step back. But thankfully Azure finally found a sense of balance. It was mostly a balance in absolutely embracing her lewd side. She just had to do so in a way that didn't damage her sense of public pride. No less absolutely lewd and submissive as she was when she broke down, but she's working with it and channeling it into her offense.

Of course there's always going to be shifts as time goes on. But the important thing was at least a sense that balance was possible. Still a bit dicey since Utena's side has swelled up in pure numbers, but that's fine.

Just a good feeling of things looking positive for the various characters. I'm curious to see what revelations/self-acceptance is required for Magenta and Sulfur to hit their own powered up modes? I guess that's something for the eventual season 2 to answer.

I liked this one. Good episode with a feeling of positive momentum. Even if Vena has plans that aren't likely to be good ones. But I suppose if he screws up he could have both Baiser and the magical girls in opposition to him. His endgame is one I hope is revealed in another season since it's an interesting danger under the surface.

This show was fun. Sometimes it was a lot, but it had great moments. Really nicely developed the characters and had fun along the way.

I'd say a really strong 7.5/10. Almost 8, but not quite for me.
Old 2024-03-28, 01:08   Link #264
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Everything you could hope for to end S1 of a series like this. Hope S2 comes soon.

I feel bad for Sulfur, she seemed to get the worst of the octopus. I knew at least one person was going to get a tentacle down her throat, it's practically a given, but for it to happen to the girl that loathes octopus, while Baiser stands there drinking up every fragment of her torture... can't help but pity her.

I'd have to go back over the manga again, but I wonder if they sort of exaggerated Magenta's sensitivity/pleasure here. Specifically because...
Spoiler for manga:
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-28, 02:07   Link #265
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for final thoughts:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-28, 03:17   Link #266
magnuskn

Oh the noez, the "normies". Didn't know that we, as anime watchers, who are already pretty specialized in our choice of media, get labelled as "normies" for thinking that a superb show like Sousou no Frieren is great for its story, characters, storytelling and presentation. I've been something like 42 years now in the business of watching and playing media, I hope I never fall down the hole so far that I look down on other people enjoying my own already damned special media for liking a damn good show more than my own preferences. ^^
Old 2024-03-28, 08:43   Link #267
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Didn't know that we, as anime watchers, who are already pretty specialized in our choice of media, get labelled as "normies" for thinking that a superb show like Sousou no Frieren is great for its story, characters, storytelling and presentation.
I enjoyed Frieren well enough myself but it also got a 90 minute (4 episode) first episode, an OP by Yoasobi, and a budget that most series just don't get. Meanwhile committees are churning out more and more anime every year (in large part to dilute foreign investment) and tend to be stingy on budgets and resources for series that aren't deemed "winners" going in. Though I guess that helps a BDSM magical girl series get adapted in the first place.

Mahoako obviously didn't get much budget but it did get 13 episodes at least. Still hoping for S2...
Old 2024-03-28, 10:14   Link #268
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
I enjoyed Frieren well enough myself but it also got a 90 minute (4 episode) first episode, an OP by Yoasobi, and a budget that most series just don't get. Meanwhile committees are churning out more and more anime every year (in large part to dilute foreign investment) and tend to be stingy on budgets and resources for series that aren't deemed "winners" going in. Though I guess that helps a BDSM magical girl series get adapted in the first place.

Mahoako obviously didn't get much budget but it did get 13 episodes at least. Still hoping for S2...
I mean, yeah? Frieren got the budget because the people in charge recognized how good of a story it is. This here got popular because of dem anime tiddies. ^^
Old 2024-03-28, 11:17   Link #269
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Frieren fans really are going to be worse than FMAB fans in the end...

Anyway I wonder if the response to Mahoako would have been different if they kept the anime nipple-less.
Old 2024-03-28, 15:13   Link #270
Twi

Quote:
Hey, don't drag us into this.

This series is lucky to get what it did considering the subject topic and the ages of the characters involved.
Old 2024-03-28, 16:23   Link #271
GDB

Quote:
Bruh he literally just said it had a good story. How is that obnoxious?

Quote:
Anyway I wonder if the response to Mahoako would have been different if they kept the anime nipple-less.
It'd have been less, but overall I think the character reactions ultimately matter more than nipples. Though that may be biased from reading the manga and still thinking it's great fun.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-28, 17:46   Link #272
ryllharu

Can we at least all agree that Izumi Fuuka (Utena's VA) deserves a seiyuu award next year?
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-28, 19:37   Link #273
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryllharu View Post
Can we at least all agree that Izumi Fuuka (Utena's VA) deserves a seiyuu award next year?
Hear Hear! Utena's VA did an outstanding job. Not that the rest of the cast didn't, but Izumi-san nailed it here.
Old 2024-03-28, 23:13   Link #274
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
It's funny since Frieren characters have as much personality as a chalkboard, but the fans, the fans. They fear the titties

Quote:
The nipples definitely helped word of mouth since it seems important (one way or the other) to some people, especially loli nipples, but I've never personally been the "OMG nipples!" type, so it wouldn't have made a difference to me. Boobs are boobs to me

Quote:
I didn't even know who she was, but upon searching, she's only been really getting main characters starting this year. Can't remember all of the normal voiced new VAs...
It'd definitely be nice if this anime got more recognition from people other than the audience (the irony), but it's gonna be a Frieren character's VA. They got the money to stack. Or maybe not anymore
Or maybe there will be a more stacked anime in the 2nd half of the year

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-29, 03:57   Link #275
ryllharu

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
I didn't even know who she was, but upon searching, she's only been really getting main characters starting this year. Can't remember all of the normal voiced new VAs...
It'd definitely be nice if this anime got more recognition from people other than the audience (the irony), but it's gonna be a Frieren character's VA. They got the money to stack. Or maybe not anymore
Or maybe there will be a more stacked anime in the 2nd half of the year
Thankfully, the Seiyuu Awards have three major categories, Best Leading Role, Best Supporting, and Best New Voice Actor.

I'm hoping Izumi Fuuka wins the third category, because this is her first batch of major roles. For example, the VAs who played Ruby and Kana in Oshi no Ko both won that award this year, and Hina Suguta (Kitagawa Marin) in Dress Up Darling won the year prior. It isn't always awarded to major franchise actors either. It would be nice if the others from this series got recognition too, because the award goes out to like six actors typically.

Atsumi Tanezaki (Frieren among many others that are difficult to tell apart sometimes) did win Best Lead Actor and Best Supporting last year, so probably...but her range is exceptional. Kana Ichinose (Fern) won this year, presumably for Gundam, so she's probably covered.

Last edited by ryllharu; 2024-03-29 at 04:10.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-29, 07:25   Link #276
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
I can get on board with this, and honestly they really nailed the voice cast overall. I also really liked Sulfur's seiyuu, she seems to be a rookie as well. And after this and 16 Bit Sensation Aoi Koga has become one of my favorite seiyuu.

Also friendly reminder that Atsumi Tanezaki was a prolific eroge actress before becoming the hottest thing in anime. I'm still torn between best imouto Niimi Sora and best whale Gome as my favorite of her eroge roles.
Old 2024-03-29, 16:01   Link #277
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreSuave View Post
Sad that that there wasn't much nudity from the loli.
Actually, the lack of nudity for NeroAlice is considered a good thing by most fans, as, for a show that is already controversial due to most of the cast being middle-school aged, the creators know better to get into really dark territory by doing the same things to someone who is still in grade school.
Old 2024-03-29, 22:23   Link #278
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreSuave View Post
Sad that that there wasn't much nudity from the loli.
....Hmm, okay so I can see why you'd probably say that considering your signature, but please consider the fact that this show was already stretching tolerance of people as it was with middle-schoolers. There is no justification you can give for the grade-schooler.
Old 2024-03-29, 22:43   Link #279
Rasty

Quote:
I can get on board with this, and honestly they really nailed the voice cast overall. I also really liked Sulfur's seiyuu, she seems to be a rookie as well. And after this and 16 Bit Sensation Aoi Koga has become one of my favorite seiyuu.
Heresy! You should have already acknowledged her as one of your favorites after Kaguya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnAdct1 View Post
Actually, the lack of nudity for NeroAlice is considered a good thing by most fans, as, for a show that is already controversial due to most of the cast being middle-school aged, the creators know better to get into really dark territory by doing the same things to someone who is still in grade school.
Agreed. NeroAlice is funny as she is, no reason to go to the extreme with a grade-schooler.

Btw, 13 years old seems to usually be the dividing line for JP works between "a bit too young" and "definitely untouchable".
Rasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-29, 23:21   Link #280
Strahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnAdct1 View Post
Definitely. Given the edge this is already walking I'd rather forgo them getting her involved to ensure the show can be made / accepted. Seeing more and more uncensored shows is nice, don't need to do anything to jeopardize it. I'm sick and tired of light beams and convenient censoring.

Besides, I'm sure the fan art community will scratch the loli itch, I'd be shocked if there aren't Nero Alice works out there already. Edit: yep, lol. Checked Gelbooru and Rule34, should've known the loli would be lewded already. Though personally, I'm more of a Sulfur fan. I like there to be something to put ones hands on. Same reason Milim is my av; a lithe body is an ideal body
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magical girls, yuri