Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2011-11-08, 18:42   Link #61
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Just wondering - did they also say when and where in the universe they were published, like this one does?
The VF-19 book was published in May 2050, from MBS Publishing House, and the VF-1 Space Wings book was March 2030, from Macross Broadcasting Publishing.
Old 2011-11-08, 21:43   Link #62
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
So, basically every piece of Macross Frontier fiction is supposed to be a different take on things by authors in-universe? Even the TV series? I'm not so happy with this intepretation, if that is the case. I'd rather see the TV series as the "true story" and the other works go from there, each presenting a idealized version of the real events.
Yup, that's how Kawamori approaches it.

I personally think he has a point: for example, about 10 years ago, I read Black Hawk Down and then saw the film. They are different, and some of the changes were made so that it would flow better on screen, others because they wanted to distance themselves from a real person because of what he did in subsequent years (or so I've heard). However, is the book the 'real story' of what happened in Modagishu in 1993? Nope. At best, it's what one person has put together based on a lot of other documents, and also what many of the people involved told him. And even those people aren't completely represented in either book or film, or even both combined. I find it interesting to think about Macross along similar lines.

That said, I interpret his 'parallel worlds' comment as saying that he doesn't mind how fans and viewers decide they want to look at it. It's just that if you ask Kawamori himself, 'different representations of a real history' is how he has created/supervised everything Macross for quite a few years.

So, as I've noted before, it's entirely up to you what you want to make of Macross 'canon'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
The VF-19 book was published in May 2050, from MBS Publishing House, and the VF-1 Space Wings book was March 2030, from Macross Broadcasting Publishing.
Thank you! I'll add that to the info post too

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2011-11-09 at 07:20.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-09, 03:37   Link #63
magnuskn

Quote:
So, as I've noted before, it's entirely up to you what you want to make of Macross 'canon'.
As for me, I'll keep the different continuities separate.
Old 2011-12-14, 08:05   Link #64
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

This article about 'listening' and story-telling in African culture isn't directly related to this topic, but I think it's an interesting point to consider when comparing Kawamori's approach to what quite a few (Westernized) fans seem to want...

===

Also, added
Quote:
edit: A question that arises is: exactly when did Kawamori decide on the above approach? Materials that some older Macross fans have found suggest that it was still being ironed out during the development and production of Macross Plus and Macross 7. (see the Q&A thread on MW for more details.)
to the first post, and revamped the 3rd post.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2016-04-19, 05:35   Link #65
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

For the record, I've added the disclaimers from more of the Variable Fighter Master Files Series to the second post. Interestingly, the majority of them were published in-universe in Macross City, the exceptions being the VF-25 encyclopedia/reference (Macross Olympia) and the VF-22 encyclopedia/reference (the Planet Eden).

- Patrick Stokes