Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-10-19, 13:36   Link #21
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
Statue of Liberty: WTF?!!! Yeah, it's an American symbol, but WONDER OF THE WORLD? It sure as hell ain't ancient!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantidor View Post
I always thought the wonders were all of the ancient world, so I dont know if the opera house in Sidney and other modern constructions should be included, maybe a new category for them should be included.
A quick correction - they're not really intended to replace the 7 wonders of the ancient world - that's why they're called the New 7 Wonders of the World. There's also a 7 Natural Wonders of the World (though I can never remember what they are). So it's not really intended to be an age thing. Also, the Statue of Liberty is roughly the same age (I believe it's slightly older) than the Eiffel Tower (both are much older than the Sydney Opera House). The only requirement is that they had to be completed before the year 2000. I guess that makes them Wonders of the not-quite Modern world.

Personally I don't see what the big deal is about Neuschwanstein, the Kremlin or the Statue of Liberty - so none of them were going to receive my vote anyway, but I thought I would clarify the purpose.
Old 2006-10-19, 13:57   Link #22
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Hm, in my oppinion none of the listed architectures qualifies for a wonder. I admit I am more into tunnels, bridges, dams, skyscrapers and towers. Ah well, I would not qualify any of these as wonders either... actually I have no idea, what type of structure I'ld regard as wonder. Because if it can be build by man it looses a very important attribute, that is important for my sense of a wonder (supernaturality)
Maybe a hovered town...
Old 2006-10-19, 14:07   Link #23
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666 View Post
There's also a 7 Natural Wonders of the World
Those are all on my "To see before I die list" Well except Mount Everest. I don't like cold.
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-19, 15:02   Link #24
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto Lin View Post
Hm, in my oppinion none of the listed architectures qualifies for a wonder. I admit I am more into tunnels, bridges, dams, skyscrapers and towers. Ah well, I would not qualify any of these as wonders either... actually I have no idea, what type of structure I'ld regard as wonder. Because if it can be build by man it looses a very important attribute, that is important for my sense of a wonder (supernaturality)
Maybe a hovered town...
On that idea, if Atlantis ever proven exist. I think it would be really fantastic to have a sunken city as a wonder. ^^
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-19, 15:39   Link #25
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

This isent a World wonder but my home town of spencer WV in the US has the oldest working movie theater in the US maybe the world.

oh and I vote for Stone Hedge
Diaboso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-19, 19:57   Link #26
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca View Post
On that idea, if Atlantis ever proven exist. I think it would be really fantastic to have a sunken city as a wonder. ^^
If that were true, and should it be considered a 7 Wonder, then people will gonna have to use submarine to go under the water. And they have the conquer their hydro phobia while they're at it too.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-20, 04:34   Link #27
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyz View Post
If that were true, and should it be considered a 7 Wonder, then people will gonna have to use submarine to go under the water. And they have the conquer their hydro phobia while they're at it too.
Lol ok I admit that is a abit overfetch. ^^ It's more like a myth than a wonder. But I always like those Indiana Jones movies. Undiscovered civilizations and architectures are very exciting. There is romance in searching for them. ^_^

Last edited by Secca; 2006-10-20 at 04:47.
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-20, 08:58   Link #28
Cyz
"Show it to me"

I've got the link from the old seven wonders of the world. As you can see, most of them came from either Greece or Egypt....there's only one that's not and that's Babylon (Iraq today). Funny, these places were either destroyed by fire or collapse because of an earthquake
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-20, 18:20   Link #29
Tommy
Mr. Prince

As amazing as Kyomizu temple is I was more impressed with Todai-Ji temple in Nara and would rather of seen that one in their for Japan. At Todai-Ji I just sat their in awe before the massive temple and upon entering, the giant buddha statue took my breath away, truely an amazing sight that I will never forget.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-20, 18:40   Link #30
aahhsin

i think some of these things are too new. Such as the Statue of Liberty, Christ, and the Sydney opera. The latter 2 not even being 100 yet... Hell Paris even has a Statue of Liberty. I would even claim that Mount Rushmore was much more of an achievement than Liberty. On the ground that it took 1 man to do it.

I think they need to split this into more times.

1. Ancient World
2. Pre-Steel frame (400 - 1600s)
3. Steel Frame

So I'll vote for

Great Wall
Easter Island heads (Now that's a mystery)
Chitzen Itza
Acropolis (Yea it's bit older than what I would see as Ideal, but what the hell).
Petra
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote