AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-04-29, 09:11   Link #141
Boukenxha

Akane getting a little upset at the thought of Kotarou and Chinatsu underlines that he means something and I reckon their interactions probably made her question the times they spent being too quiet outside of LINE.

I like how the relationship is going somewhere, could have been worse if they continue the way they've been and try dating like that.... probably

Nice job they've done to shake things up a bit and still retain that peaceful and innocent charm.

Some props need to be given to Chinatsu the catalyst and yeah Akane's friends too... if they weren't sharp enough to see through the two...
Boukenxha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-29, 13:51   Link #142
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boukenxha View Post
Akane getting a little upset at the thought of Kotarou and Chinatsu underlines that he means something and I reckon their interactions probably made her question the times they spent being too quiet outside of LINE.

I like how the relationship is going somewhere, could have been worse if they continue the way they've been and try dating like that.... probably

Nice job they've done to shake things up a bit and still retain that peaceful and innocent charm.
Agreed. And that cliff-hanger sure did shake me up!

Quote:
Some props need to be given to Chinatsu the catalyst and yeah Akane's friends too... if they weren't sharp enough to see through the two...
Although Chinatsu knows that Kotarou is interested in Akane, we don't know if she knows if Akane is interested that way in Kotarou (nor does Akane, actually). Akane's classroom friends have no clue who Akane likes, but presume that it is Hira, and this might cause some issues in the future, especially if Akane continues to keep Kotarou a secret from them and they continue to press her to go out with Hira. If they do find out about Kotarou, they might end up ridiculing her for her interest in him because he's a nobody and, especially, because he is not Hira.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-29, 13:59   Link #143
IceHism

It's 2017, No cellphones allowed? Wtf

Aww waiting in the rain for that long. Too cute.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-29, 16:05   Link #144
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
While I can appreciate how cute this series is and revel in the nostalgic feeling of it... I find it kind of pathetic that Akane is so simple-minded that she couldn't figure out that something happened to either Kotarou or his phone? Especially after we just had an episode where her own phone battery died, preventing her from responding to him. It never occurred to her that he could've been in the same scenario? Or the likelihood of a student getting lost in a place they don't live in? I get that they're young or whatever, but... C'mon.
I would appreciate it if the show moved away from causing conflicts through such manufactured scenarios but overall the episode wasn't bad. The main attraction to me isn't the characters themselves but the way they interact with each other. I do think the show has really nailed the behaviour and manners of these middle school kids in everyday life. Unfortunately I just don't get a whole lot of entertainment value out of something like that, which I guess probably explains my degree of apathy relative to everyone else.

In any case I think I've become interested in the show enough to see it out to the end.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-29, 19:58   Link #145
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

There was one other thing that was completely missing from episode 4 that nobody has mentioned: no Dazai quotes. I hope this means that Kotarou has learned not to take everything Dazai said as gospel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
Although completely stupid on a field trip, especially an overnight one, for obvious reasons, I suppose it could just be an idiotic extension of a "no cell phones in school" policy (which is reasonable, in my opinion).

EDIT: Who says Middle School romance animes aren't popular??? No surprise to me that Tsuki Ga Kirei has risen to the top of the weekly chart! Look at all those other "popular" anime series that it's beaten to the top!

Spoiler for weekly ranking chart image:

Last edited by FredFriendly; 2017-04-30 at 15:11. Reason: Spring 2017 week 3 ranking chart
Old 2017-04-30, 22:05   Link #146
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

lets be real though, that's not quite new type.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-30, 22:55   Link #147
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

Episode 4
Well, the answer is not there yet look like we will get the actual respond next week.
I am actually hoping Akane will not respond yes and will say no because if she reply yes then it possible we will see a ugly version of this supposed sweet middle school romance unless Akane and Curly-kun willing to get over their shy barrier confess to public them are couple.
Apparently after this episode a lot viewers begin to split faction ; AkanexCurly and ChinatsuxCurly

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post

Aww waiting in the rain for that long. Too cute.
My issue as well. In field trip where the students will go anywhere,anyplace without teachers surveillance a cellphone is mandatory to keep in contact with the students. If there are students who got lost in place they couldn't find a way back then it would be school mistake because them confiscated the "device" which allowed them to know student location.
Diluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-30, 23:22   Link #148
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

You can argue it's not good policy, but AFAIK it's still common policy not to allow kids to use their cell phones on class trips in Japan. The idea, presumably, is to force them to engage with their surroundings rather than with their devices.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-01, 00:29   Link #149
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
You can argue it's not good policy, but AFAIK it's still common policy not to allow kids to use their cell phones on class trips in Japan. The idea, presumably, is to force them to engage with their surroundings rather than with their devices.
That's what I thought too. And it would certainly be a predicament. I mean, yeah, there certainly can be unexpected emergencies in which case the absence of a contact device could be problematic. They'd still have a fair chance of being taken to a hospital if they're in a public place, but it'd still be a while for the school to find out. There could even be some students with conditions that would actually make such an emergency even more likely, especially in an exciting, unknown location. But that said, have you seen kids on their cells? I wouldn't be surprised if you found at least two or three kids who, if pressed for truth, would have to admit to having not seen a single building or landmark AT ALL. I've seen too many kids walking with their cell phones looking like Keima from TWGOK going to school with his PFP: a stampeding elephant would be a nuisance but not worth looking up.

So yeah, it's a two-sided thing for sure. I'd at least think they'd let them have them during free time when they're going wherever they want. If they have that much freedom to do what they want and go where they want, then chances are there will be at least one lost and/or injured student who needs to contact them quick. But at other times, when there's more restriction and guided exploration of historical locations, it makes total sense to treat it like a class and forbid cells. At the very least they should force the kids to have in their wallets a contact number so that they won't be stuck non knowing how to reach them.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-01, 05:25   Link #150
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

Quote:
While that is true an irony to think when this anime promoting the cellphone application itself.
Heh! guess this episode ironically promoting a double-edgy sword of adolescent middle schooler ; the banned (cellphone) and banner (japan law).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
That's what I thought too. And it would certainly be a predicament. I mean, yeah, there certainly can be unexpected emergencies in which case the absence of a contact device could be problematic. They'd still have a fair chance of being taken to a hospital if they're in a public place, but it'd still be a while for the school to find out. There could even be some students with conditions that would actually make such an emergency even more likely, especially in an exciting, unknown location. But that said, have you seen kids on their cells? I wouldn't be surprised if you found at least two or three kids who, if pressed for truth, would have to admit to having not seen a single building or landmark AT ALL. I've seen too many kids walking with their cell phones looking like Keima from TWGOK going to school with his PFP: a stampeding elephant would be a nuisance but not worth looking up.
Today, many kids grows accustomed to cellphone. Cellphone has became part of the world itself which why i seen in previous post how troublesome would be the children without cellphone in the field trip far away from home.
I suppose we have to praise japan for made this law even though their country playing big role in influencing their children and children from whole world to use cellphone.

Quote:
So yeah, it's a two-sided thing for sure. I'd at least think they'd let them have them during free time when they're going wherever they want. If they have that much freedom to do what they want and go where they want, then chances are there will be at least one lost and/or injured student who needs to contact them quick. But at other times, when there's more restriction and guided exploration of historical locations, it makes total sense to treat it like a class and forbid cells. At the very least they should force the kids to have in their wallets a contact number so that they won't be stuck non knowing how to reach them.
I believe students ID would be do and teachers shared their contact numbers to students as well so they can call them via devices surrounding them.
Diluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-01, 13:33   Link #151
Boukenxha

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
Agreed. And that cliff-hanger sure did shake me up!

Although Chinatsu knows that Kotarou is interested in Akane, we don't know if she knows if Akane is interested that way in Kotarou (nor does Akane, actually). Akane's classroom friends have no clue who Akane likes, but presume that it is Hira, and this might cause some issues in the future, especially if Akane continues to keep Kotarou a secret from them and they continue to press her to go out with Hira. If they do find out about Kotarou, they might end up ridiculing her for her interest in him because he's a nobody and, especially, because he is not Hira.
Yeah maybe she doesn't know for sure how Akane feels but I think Chinatsu isn't the type who is afraid to ask.

Hira is not on the school trip, different year, am I right? If her classmates suspect Akane went on a secret date, it has to be someone else other than him. I wouldn't be suprised to see them trying to coax the name from her lol.

Maybe not to the point of ridiculing, that's harsh but some comparisons are inevitable I guess.
Old 2017-05-01, 13:44   Link #152
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Regarding the cellphone/safety thing...

One thing you have to understand is that in Japan, "look out for the kids" is part of the basic social contract. First-graders take the train to Tokyo on their own (they wear special uniforms identifying them) because there's an expectation that adults (and older kids) will look out for them and make sure they're OK. That may seem strange to us, but there it's just part of the mindset.

Part of the thinking with middle schoolers not needing their phones on class trips is that adults will be expected to come to their aid if they have any issues, and they're trained to ask an adult for help if they have a problem. That's certainly less true for high schoolers, but middle schoolers are still considered children and it's expected that older Japanese will watch out for their safety and assist them if needed.
Old 2017-05-01, 16:04   Link #153
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Regarding the cellphone/safety thing...

One thing you have to understand is that in Japan, "look out for the kids" is part of the basic social contract. First-graders take the train to Tokyo on their own (they wear special uniforms identifying them) because there's an expectation that adults (and older kids) will look out for them and make sure they're OK. That may seem strange to us, but there it's just part of the mindset.

Part of the thinking with middle schoolers not needing their phones on class trips is that adults will be expected to come to their aid if they have any issues, and they're trained to ask an adult for help if they have a problem. That's certainly less true for high schoolers, but middle schoolers are still considered children and it's expected that older Japanese will watch out for their safety and assist them if needed.
I guess this's why the "Free Range Children" trope is so common in anime...?
Old 2017-05-01, 16:36   Link #154
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boukenxha View Post
Yeah maybe she doesn't know for sure how Akane feels but I think Chinatsu isn't the type who is afraid to ask.
Well, that's for sure. Chinatsu seems to have few, if any, social inhibitions.

Quote:
Hira is not on the school trip, different year, am I right? If her classmates suspect Akane went on a secret date, it has to be someone else other than him. I wouldn't be suprised to see them trying to coax the name from her lol.
From what I understood, Hira and Akane have both already been in the track team for two years together, so he would be the same year. After all, Akane is a 3rd year and there are no higher years in the middle school and certainly Hira is not in a lower grade.

So, unless Hira really wasn't on the trip (just because we didn't see him doesn't mean he wasn't there), I'm sure her classmate friends will assume that Akane had a secret date with him. Other than the sleazy boyfriend and Kaneko who has his hopes set on Aira, we haven't been introduced to any other guys within their circle of friends so I doubt they would think she had a secret date with anyone else.

Quote:
Maybe not to the point of ridiculing, that's harsh but some comparisons are inevitable I guess.
Oh, I don't know. From the way Akane was being laughed at for dropping the baton, I get the impression that these teenage girls wouldn't be immune from ostracizing someone in their group who went against the common consensus, as we've seen in so many other shows.
Old 2017-05-01, 17:28   Link #155
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
I guess this's why the "Free Range Children" trope is so common in anime...?
I think the biggest part of that is simple narrative convenience - with no parents around kids can be put into all kinds of ridiculous situations. But there is a definite "it takes a village" mentality to child-rearing in Japan.
Old 2017-05-01, 20:03   Link #156
Itlandm
Porcupine

Ep 4.
That was a perfectly reasonable answer from Akane, and probably what she should have said in the first place if she wasn't shocked out of her skin by the sudden confession. They are basically having a long-distance relationship even though they are classmates. If they can't get past that, they may as well continue to have a long-distance relationship into the future.

Chinatsu is surprisingly perceptive. She actually seems to encourage him: It would have been so easy to play dumb and just not say anything when he was unable to admit that he was looking for Akane. It certainly does not look like she is a rival for his affection. But then again, why would she? The strange thing is that Akane was interested in him in the first place.
Itlandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-02, 08:21   Link #157
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Oh, I don't know. From the way Akane was being laughed at for dropping the baton, I get the impression that these teenage girls wouldn't be immune from ostracizing someone in their group who went against the common consensus, as we've seen in so many other shows.
Every school has its jerks who laugh behind others' backs. That wasn't her friends though I'm pretty sure. We didn't see their faces but it didn't sound like them...
Old 2017-05-02, 08:21   Link #158
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Dissociate

Last edited by Verso Sciolto; 2017-06-30 at 10:43.
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-02, 09:07   Link #159
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

I guess I should use your post to know when to look for it.

Spoiler for Ep. 5 Preview for those outside Japan:
pagan poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-02, 09:22   Link #160
Boukenxha

Thanks for sharing the preview

Quote:
Well, that's for sure. Chinatsu seems to have few, if any, social inhibitions.

From what I understood, Hira and Akane have both already been in the track team for two years together, so he would be the same year. After all, Akane is a 3rd year and there are no higher years in the middle school and certainly Hira is not in a lower grade.

So, unless Hira really wasn't on the trip (just because we didn't see him doesn't mean he wasn't there), I'm sure her classmate friends will assume that Akane had a secret date with him. Other than the sleazy boyfriend and Kaneko who has his hopes set on Aira, we haven't been introduced to any other guys within their circle of friends so I doubt they would think she had a secret date with anyone else.

My bad, I don't know why I had wrongly assumed Hira to be a senpei at club lol

And I thought you meant her classmates, like BWTraveller said, those other girls are likely never friendly with Akane in the first place.

Who knows, they could be jealous of the attention Hira (popular sports guy at school) giving to her, nothing she does will be right in their eyes.

Tags
anime original, romance, school life, shoujo, slice of life, studio feel