AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-06-12, 07:15   Link #61
wao
OK.

I remember being amused that there was an Indian CEO-like character last time I checked the official site. Yeah! Anime needs more Indian characters, there are far too few

I wonder who the illustrator (GOROBOTS) for that magazine spread is, is it a penname of an animator or something?

Anyway I haven't watched a minute of the old one (decided not to when I heard this was coming out, I want to watch that after this) but some info from the scan... pardon me if I got anything wrong.

Top right: girl on the left is Sayaka Nakasugi, a new original character who plays a central role in the story and, to Tsutomu, is like a sweet flower among tougher women like Birdy.
The guy on the right is... er... Tyuto? (aka Satoru), I have no idea how it's romanized but in the original he seems to be that octopus-like creature who acts as Birdy's partner, collecting info and stuff. In the anime however he also has a human form as shown.

The woman on the magazine, Arida Shion, is an Akiba-kei gravure idol who is actually Birdy in disguise (?!). She is marketed as a strange alien-like character with a funny accent, and swimsuit pics of her appear in magazines popular among high-school boys.

I'm too lazy to translate the paragraph on the left, but I figure it's probably fluff so who cares.
Old 2008-06-12, 10:13   Link #62
Jiyuu

Send a message via MSN to Jiyuu
as more info comes out i'm getting surer that i will like this remake less then the ova..
Jiyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-12, 12:29   Link #63
ZODDGUTS

I'm getting worried as well doesn't look like I'll be a straight adaption of the manga at all. Hope they don't screw this up like they did with the Persona anime.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-14, 18:14   Link #64
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

Looks like another take on the series. The manga uses different designs compared to the OVA and even the original manga and adds new characters. This one looks like it adds new characters and changes the designs up. I just hope they include Gomez and keep his design the same.
Shouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-24, 13:42   Link #65
manuloz

I was too lazy too post this the other day ... a 15s tv spot (from 2chan)

http://www.manganimation.net/news/?p=377

http://www.aniplex.co.jp/webanicom/

Last edited by manuloz; 2008-06-24 at 13:53.
manuloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-24, 20:48   Link #66
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Is that Tsutomu? Just little more than a week before this airs. Can't wait. I noticed the Bounen no Xamdou spread. Looking really good.
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-25, 12:20   Link #67
7Th
Mixtape

9 minute preview on YouTube: http://youtube.com/watch?v=K_gjgwGZskQ
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-25, 20:55   Link #68
jigenbakuda
Kazumi sure is cute...

Oh I liked that. Seeing as I'm the only person here to learn of birdy recently, I can not be disappointed by the changed (that I'm sure they made). But I thought it looks awesome.

Does anyone know the song that starts around 8:30? That song was extra sweet!
jigenbakuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-30, 11:23   Link #69
terrus

Darn it the video got taken down, ah well, it airs this friday doesn't it? I've known of Birdy for a while i have all the raws of the tanks and i was pleased to hear it was getting an anime, even more so when i found out it was being done by the people behind Escaflowne and noein. How many episodes will the series be 13 is it?

Last edited by terrus; 2008-06-30 at 11:39.
terrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 20:47   Link #70
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

Oh wow, the first episode was reallllly awesome, far better than I thought. The action was a bit more floaty than I expected but great.
Old 2008-07-04, 20:51   Link #71
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Saw episode 1 and it's everything I hoped for with TEH AWESOME on top!

Damn, I seriously loved it. Design style is not super-polished, but animation is very out there, sort of Gurren-Lagann style. In fact, it felt extremely Gainaxy at time. Birdy looks like she stepped out of FLCL and Tsutomu looks like an Abenobashi character.

What I loved? It's very lively, humorous entertainment. Not over the top, like TTGL, but always dynamic, never still. I loved the wonky perspective shifts and generally unconventional point-of-view "camera" placements.

What is sort of not there? Well, character models fluctuate all the time. I guess that's what you pay for constant movement, but sometimes I wish they'd focus on the characters a bit more and give us a more stable memorable shots.

Seems like a nice series. I'm very glad Ryochimo didn't disappoint.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 21:05   Link #72
Key Board
Carbon

easily best of the new season so far
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 21:07   Link #73
aroduc
Ruiner of Things

Caps etc
http://blog.seiha.org/?p=932

I thought when it was on (ie, when Birdy was around) it was awesome. There were issues with the animation style because of how it uses CG, but *shrug* The Senkawa parts were fucking torture though. That the OP is about 2/3rds Senkawa and his friends, I'm a little worried. Hopefully Birdy continues to take up at least half of each episode though.

I also despise the OP and ED.
aroduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 21:12   Link #74
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

I thought the OP was very nicely animated. There was a couple kick-ass moments that reminded me of why I love Noein and what I hope to see here.

And the ED with Tsutomu's skipping silhouette was really something. I mean, it's just a skipping shadow, but his movements were so natural it felt like a real boy skipping along instead of an animated figure.

The songs are truly nothing special, though.
Old 2008-07-04, 21:13   Link #75
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

^Me too. Nothing wrong with both of em (OP needs more Birdy though).
Old 2008-07-04, 21:20   Link #76
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

Well, there'll always be a lot of Birdy in the series. It wouldn't be Birdy the Mighty without her.

I did notice how much more time was spent on Birdy in this than was spent on Tsutomu compared to the OVA and the first two chapters of both manga series. Actually balances out pretty well. All the other characters seem to be in place as well. Oh and GOMEZ! GOOOOOOMEZ! I'll need to change my avatar to him because he's just too awesome.
Old 2008-07-04, 21:33   Link #77
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Gomez's VA sounded really familiar to me. Is he Unshou Ihisizuka (Jet from Cowboy Bebop)?
Old 2008-07-04, 22:14   Link #78
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haohmaru View Post
Gomez's VA sounded really familiar to me. Is he Unshou Ihisizuka (Jet from Cowboy Bebop)?
Yes.

Well, I think so. The video file I watched was so terrible that I could hardly make out the kanji. But it looks like him, judging by the letter characters in the cast list (and the voice).

Old 2008-07-04, 22:30   Link #79
mandarb916

Enjoying it thus far...and I like Chiba Saeko's voice...though I think Mizuhashi Kaori would have been better for Birdy's role
mandarb916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 23:04   Link #80
wao
OK.

Well, that was unexpectedly interesting Akane always manages to bring some good directing to the table; although the characters and the premise itself honestly don't excite me much, I was happy to watch until the end because of all the little details and how there isn't too much overacting or such. And of course, the animation was fantaaaaaastic. There's just too many places to spaz about. I loved the touch of having the surfaces spark/glow when Birdy steps on them, it's very beautiful (there's one lovely bit where it's white-hot and burns out as orange and then purple) I was hooked from the part where Tyuto (in human form) was doing that funny motion in the beginning, he looks so much like whatshisname from TTGL but I don't mind it one bit

And I can see why Tsutomu seems boring but personally I'm willing to put up with him because he likes exploring abandoned buildings!!!!!11one This is the first anime character I've met with this interest and I love it because I enjoy doing that too Derelict places FTW.

Ah, but watching this really reminded me why I love Noein and TokiKake, I just love this drawing style and I don't know why you guys might complain about animation inconsistency, asking for any more consistency would be unfair on the animators and not worth the payoffs in animation/time spent IMO. It looked quite consistent to me, at least... (or have I been watching too much Macross) And it helps that I think the character designs here are much more solid and well-thought-out - I really do love Ryochimo's drawing style, and the variety in designs...

That bit with the students in the train was really screaming TokiKake, particularly the way arms and poses are drawn in this show. There's also a good lineup of animators but I admit I don't know that much about the newer ones since I gave up trying to follow everything, but I wonder who/what "SNIPES" is... Thought it would be another young rising star since they all use funny names now, but it turns out to be Toshio Kobayashi who I haven't even heard of before this. o_O Putting your name in English capitals makes it stick out...

And count me in as a fan of the ED animation. I was highly tickled to see the credits - look, it's literally this:
Ending Animation
Storyboard/Direction - Kazuki Akane
Animation Director - Ryochimo
Everything else - Shingo Yamashita

So what's that supposed to mean, he coloured it all too?! Whatever. It's precisely what MrProphet says, it's just mostly a cycled animation of someone running/walking/skipping but it's a great pleasure to watch. I feel happy looking at it.

Anyway I think I'm certainly watching this till the end, since it's so short. I'd still be unsure if it was 24 episodes long though.

Tags
action, sci-fi