AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Old 2010-06-01, 04:37   Link #201
mukansa monkey
Pink bug make Amu angry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
I am not proud though in having the first K-On and subsequently the sequel making me think that dropping a grand is nothing in music... $1,400 on two clarinets by the time K-On! was done ><
Clearly you aren't a drummer. Dropping a grand on building a kit is no big deal at all. It's not so much that the individual pieces cost that much, but unlike other instruments there's no real limit to how many pieces you can buy. A tom here, a cymbal there, and eventually you can end up with:

http://www.andrewolson.com/Neil_Pear...Peart_Drum.jpg

The sheer quantity is staggering.

I agree that Ritsu's instrument budget makes the least sense. The other girls either don't spend so much, or it's explained. If Ritsu's purchases are discussed in the manga I wouldn't know..
Old 2010-06-01, 10:43   Link #202
Agito Akiyama
Bass-wa Watashi

Send a message via MSN to Agito Akiyama
Woah, Neil Peart's drum kit, now that is something!

Semi-related to the thread, I want to show you my musical instruments:
Spoiler for Size:

And I also have a Casio PX-130 electric piano
BTW, look at the jazz bass, twice! (Mio, Mio, Mio, Mio!!!!!!)
Old 2010-06-01, 11:29   Link #203
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agito Akiyama View Post
Woah, Neil Peart's drum kit, now that is something!

Semi-related to the thread, I want to show you my musical instruments:
Spoiler for Size:

And I also have a Casio PX-130 electric piano
BTW, look at the jazz bass, twice! (Mio, Mio, Mio, Mio!!!!!!)
I had an old Weinberg upright piano. Waiting to buy a piano tuner though.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-01, 22:46   Link #204
Kudryavka

To any guitarists here:

I'm looking to buy a bass guitar, a Squier Jazz Bass precisely. I have ~$400 to spend on it, and I'd prefer a metallic color for the body. The pickguard color won't matter, since I'll probably switch it out for a tortoiseshell later. I'm thinking about buying from Guitar Center, but are there any other last minute places I should give a look to buy? I'm in SoCal, and since this will be my first bass, I'm 100% geared towards buying from a physical store, so I can try out what I'll buy.

On a side note, would a tortoiseshell pickguard look good on a metallic blue, red, or green body?
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-02, 00:35   Link #205
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
To any guitarists here:

I'm looking to buy a bass guitar, a Squier Jazz Bass precisely. I have ~$400 to spend on it, and I'd prefer a metallic color for the body. The pickguard color won't matter, since I'll probably switch it out for a tortoiseshell later. I'm thinking about buying from Guitar Center, but are there any other last minute places I should give a look to buy? I'm in SoCal, and since this will be my first bass, I'm 100% geared towards buying from a physical store, so I can try out what I'll buy.

On a side note, would a tortoiseshell pickguard look good on a metallic blue, red, or green body?
I would rather you save more (around ~$800) for a better bass. Unlike guitars, if the tones between the strings are too indiscernible, it isn't worth your money.

Regarding the bass, a custom "ita" Akiyama Mio body. It would be better if the body is of the actual girl's...*IS SHOT*

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-06-02, 03:12   Link #206
Agito Akiyama
Bass-wa Watashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
To any guitarists here:

SaintessHeart I'm sorry but I don't agree with you
A starter's bass should not be expensive and the cheap basses today are great, I don't know about the color of the bass but if you are looking to buy a Squier Jazz Bass go for the vintage modified series or the classic vibe, and you'll probably will have a bit of a problem looking for a custom in a starter's bass...

If I was going to begin with bass again, I would go for a Squier Jazz Bass and not the Ibanez GSR200 which today is fretless.
Old 2010-06-02, 08:47   Link #207
Sides

Quote:
A starter's bass should not be expensive and the cheap basses today are great, I don't know about the color of the bass but if you are looking to buy a Squier Jazz Bass go for the vintage modified series or the classic vibe, and you'll probably will have a bit of a problem looking for a custom in a starter's bass...

If I was going to begin with bass again, I would go for a Squier Jazz Bass and not the Ibanez GSR200 which today is fretless.
Squier Jazz Bass is OK, i would recommend the Classic Vibe (or James Johnston Jazz Bass) edition, but it has a basswood body, so i would suggest trying it out compared to the soft maple (vintage mod), agathis (standard) and alder (affinity) versions. However for double the budget you can get a fender highway one or, my favourite, fender '60s Jazz Bass.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-02, 09:31   Link #208
Agito Akiyama
Bass-wa Watashi

All this specification talk is not important, the Squier Jazz Bass series sound very good and he can easily upgrade the bass with a better preamp and pickups in the future and it will sound great.
Old 2010-06-02, 11:04   Link #209
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:

My personal belief is that you never buy starter musical instruments, unless it is brass or woodwind (blowing is a whole lot more difficult because of the mouth techniques). That is why I recommend that he spends abit more.

Anyhow, I got Azusa from a sale at $400, but it is MIC (Made In China), so I am rather scared about her suddenly breaking on me.

Old 2010-06-02, 13:36   Link #210
Agito Akiyama
Bass-wa Watashi

Not all starter basses are bad, some of them are actually amazingly good, and basswood is not a bad wood, I just want to break some stigmas here.
Old 2010-06-02, 14:02   Link #211
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Not all starter basses are bad, some of them are actually amazingly good, and basswood is not a bad wood, I just want to break some stigmas here.
Haha, my implication is that musical instruments should be for longer term use. Unlike guitars, bass is relatively much easier to learn but difficult to master, so there isn't a need to have a "starter" bass.

Guitar is harder to learn but easier to master, it is all dependent on the musical instrument's place in the band. Unless you like to play it John Myung style (Dream Theater) rather flamboyantly and on par with regards to musicality of the guitar and keyboard, the starter bass isn't needed.

Old 2010-06-02, 14:09   Link #212
Agito Akiyama
Bass-wa Watashi

What I'm trying to say, is not about "starters" bass, but these low budget basses are very good and underrated, you can get a better sound from a Squier then a Mexican Jazz Bass.
Old 2010-06-02, 21:45   Link #213
OZ7UP
Music for life.
*Author

Time for me to chip in my two cents.

Even though my main bass is a Godin BG5 with EMG active pickups, I still have, and use, my very first bass (a Squire P-Bass), which I bought nearly five years ago. When I was auditioning to play bass for a heavy metal band just over a month ago, I used the Squire, and it held its own against a BC Rich guitar.

I'm not saying that it is a must to buy a starter bass like a Squire or an Epiphone - after all, it is a matter of opinion. However, as Agito Akiyama said, if you really do like your starter bass so much, you can always replace the electronics and the strings to achieve a better tone while retaining your familiarity with the bass.

(That said, my Squire has never been modified - nope, never did change the strings)

Quote:
you can get a better sound from a Squier then a (Fender) Mexican Jazz Bass.
Agreed.

That said, regarding this thread, are we supposed to just talk about the musical instruments featured in K-On!, or just about musical instruments in general?
OZ7UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-03, 08:26   Link #214
Kudryavka

Thanks for the opinions. I'd rather not wait, since it took me a while to get the $400 I have now, and I need a bass in a few months. I will get a Squier Jazz, guaranteed. I'm not too sure about spending more than $500 on an instrument I'm sure to bang up, break, and "experiment" with, which I usually do with my first instruments. I think I'll get a metallic green body.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-05, 15:17   Link #215
BlackKnightKanos
Lord of The Netherealm

Send a message via Yahoo to BlackKnightKanos
Isn't it funny that Mio specifically told Yui to buy a light guitar, but Yui still picks the heavy Les Paul.
BlackKnightKanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-05, 15:21   Link #216
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Yui wasn't listening anymore.
Old 2010-06-05, 15:37   Link #217
Agito Akiyama
Bass-wa Watashi

I want a new guitar, I hate my RG470 MIJ
But I'm a bass player...
Old 2010-06-05, 15:54   Link #218
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
I want a new guitar, I hate my RG470 MIJ
But I'm a bass player...
Ibanez. Cheap and good.

Old 2010-06-05, 18:15   Link #219
Agito Akiyama
Bass-wa Watashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Ibanez. Cheap and good.
It's an Ibanez guitar :<
I want a Japanese Fender or a Les Paul MIJ copy.
Old 2010-06-05, 20:33   Link #220
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
It's an Ibanez guitar :<
I want a Japanese Fender or a Les Paul MIJ copy.
What about a Fender Stratocaster or Telecaster? One of my dream guitars after a Mustang is a Stratocaster.