AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-09-13, 07:32   Link #4301
Qikz

Oh my god that ending. O_O
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 07:54   Link #4302
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

The last few minutes of ep11 gave me chills. God damn I am loving this series. I would like to imagine a second season is a foregone conclusion, but I guess only time (and DVD/BD sales) will tell.

Oh Saeko...how is it you become more full of win and awesome every single week?
DJLowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 08:13   Link #4303
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
The final minutes of the last episode were epic! Thinking back what I was expecting after the first couple of episodes and where we are now, considering character development and atmosphere, I must admit that the studio has done an excellent job, and hope the final TV episode will deliver.

Apart from praising, I did not like how they handle the whole Shidou side-plot, it had a lot more potential, but anyway ...

Now, I hope this show will make people understand, that the so-called fan-service and action can coexist with plot, character development and atmosphere

On a funny insight, is it me or was Saeko acting like the cheated, but enduring girlfriend
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 08:16   Link #4304
Schneizel
uwu
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopi View Post
Though why the hell did he even do it in the first place when he hated his father so much?
That's something that was cut out.
Schneizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 08:27   Link #4305
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

Pieced together this image of Saeko from ep11:

Spoiler for Space:

I know it has lines where the screen caps end, but I don't know how to clean those up properly. I'm sure someone else will make a more perfect version of this, but it's at least something to tide Saeko fans over.

Tangentially, if anyone does know how to clean this sort of thing up properly and doesn't mind, I'd love to know how to do it. I have Photoshop CS2 and am decently fluent with it.
DJLowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 09:28   Link #4306
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopi View Post
I was feeling bad for Shido with his whole flashbacks until the reason behind Rei's hatred to him was revealed. Though why the hell did he even do it in the first place when he hated his father so much?
They cut out a fairly large portion of Shido's backstory. They cut out why his mother committed suicide and his reasoning for listening to his father.

His mother committed suicide because his father was having an affair with another woman in Tokyo. He continued to do his work as a teacher, at the school his father chose (and was the director of), so he could still be of use to him. Shido finds out that he won't be the one to succeed his father, but his younger brother. Shido's dad had a kid with the woman in Tokyo. Which sent him down the path he currently is on. His goal was to bring down his father, so he worked for him and at the same time was looking to dig up as much dirt as possible on his father. Rei's dad happened to be an obstacle because her father was opposed to whatever Shido's dad was involved with and was investigating the people supporting him.

Sure, Shido wasn't a bad guy at first and explains why he did what he did to Rei, but I don't think his backstory explains why he's so twisted...you feel sorry for him, then we remember his little monologue before kicking a student's face in, and then leaving another student out of the bus to be killed by zombies because he didn't agree with Shido. That was something else they cut out, why the student was left outside. He disagreed with what Shido was talking about, he just wanted to go see his family. I believe one of the girls said something like "why would you want to be with your family again, they wouldn't let you do things like this!" and they show the guy groping on her and whatnot.

Last edited by Mr. DJ; 2010-09-13 at 09:39.
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 10:27   Link #4307
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

And by nuclear fire be cleansed.

Normally you’d think that adults, compared to kids, will be the ones most in control of their mental faculties and their grip on reality but, as the absurd exchange in the tent shows, everyone can succumb to the pressures of altered realities. Denial is a pretty powerful defense mechanism, and it can even make you deny things that are obviously in front of you. I can’t exactly blame those adults Saya tried to give the talking down too, because it’s a natural defense mechanism to dislike things that are uncomfortable, but these are the sort of denials that get people killed. It’s honestly much, much too late to be in a state of denial when the world has taken a massive shit on itself. No amount of denial is going to drive the undead back into the mouth of hell.

Again, because they are badasses, the main cast or sort of immune to all this denial crap, and realize there are far more important things than trying to deny the undead out of existence. Like finding their parents.

While Takashi has pretty much been the de facto leader of the group since day one, he still finds it odd that people place so much trust in him. So much trust that even within this sanctuary, his allies are still willing to follow him back into the belly of the beast. He himself admits that he has no special fighting ability like Kohta, Rei or Saeko, mental aptitude like Saya and Shizuka or… uh… mascot factor like Alice. He’s just an average guy thrust into the leader role.

But like I said before, it’s because of trust. They trust him enough to make decisions for them and to lead them down the path of survival. He may not be the best but he can do what he must when the need arises. As Saya’s father points out, he has grown to become a fine young man that earned the respect of his peers, even if he is indecisive at times. This indecision can become a problem later on, now that he’s pretty much accepted the leader role, a weakness he needs to overcome before tragedy strikes.

Also he is obviously GAR, as any leader of badasses must be.

Takashi’s down to earth leadership skills again are put into comparison to that of Shido, who returns to show his face as a “survivor” of the chaos that has befallen the world. Enough has already been said about the personality problems that the man so obviously possesses, but none of them so effectively brings his true nature out than Rei’s threat and subsequent refusal to kill him, despite his own prodding that she do so.

And that narcissism right there. Beyond the logic and the entire issue of, you know, asking to die, a true narcissist cannot stand a blow to his ego. A denial of his identity strikes straight into his heart when Rei refuses to kill him. He seems to find glory in tormenting her and asking to die from the hands of a “murderer”, and by denying him even that, she denies the narcissist’s need for ego fuel. The face he makes says it all. She outright defies him. He cannot stand it.

Tainted by the darkness, as GAR-daddy points out, Shido and his cult are thrown back into the undead wasteland to fend for themselves. Perhaps a cruel fate for his brainwashed followers, but for Shido this is karma biting him in the ass. Or should I say, karma in the form of zombies coming to bite him in said ass.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 10:33   Link #4308
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Quote:
karma in the form of zombies coming to bite him in said ass.
hahahaha, pure gold
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 11:36   Link #4309
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

All the unbelievers shall burn in the brimstone fires of HELL!

But seriously, Shido's craziness is explanable, but the students that follow him, like, well... zombies are super-ultra pathetic. They're more like goddamned sheep than people that I would expect to think for themselves.

Well, then again, I suppose japanese students have the disadvantage of being taught to memorize, not to think.
Old 2010-09-13, 11:58   Link #4310
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Rei should have killed him, it would have been awesome.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 12:03   Link #4311
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Crippling him would have been enough imo. But I guess the author realized that the death of Shido would flag the end of the series coming soon. So he is postponing it. An interesting angle would have been taking the two groups of survivors (Takashi Team, Shido Sect) and see what path they tread and how it changes them but I am not certain that the author's priorities are clear in that department.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 12:13   Link #4312
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
I was waiting for a twist, after everyone smiles thinking she doesn't do it, she takes a few steps back and shoots him in the face stating "I didn't want to get my clothes dirty..." It would've been epic.

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 12:30   Link #4313
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub-Sama View Post
I was waiting for a twist, after everyone smiles thinking she doesn't do it, she takes a few steps back and shoots him in the face stating "I didn't want to get my clothes dirty..." It would've been epic.
That is what I was waiting for, though Id have taken a non-lethal stab to the gut as well Though he left pretty pissed off, I guess I can accept that for now.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 12:35   Link #4314
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Shido didn't really affect her life that much, considering that on the first day of school... the zombie apocalypse started.

As for education, all students are taught to memorize, not to think. Schools are not designed for geniuses. They're designed for the average everyday person. They are supposed to produce productive members of society, good workers. . . specially high school. I don't think the writers really means for this portrayal of Shido's students to be taken as a critique of anything.

Shido changed Rei's grades because he was coerced by his father. He clearly hates him but was compelled to submit to this demands because he can't bring himself to confront him. That was the only thing he seems to have been guilty of before the apocalypse.

He's probably a character that can be redeemed at the end even after allowing some of his students to die. He killed one of the mutineers and that probably could have saved the majority of his students' lives.

If he ever meets up with his father, it will be one of those nervous breakdown moments where he'll realize what a monster he's becoming.

Last edited by mechalord; 2010-09-13 at 12:49.
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 12:41   Link #4315
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

... Except that having to repeat a grade in Japan is a big deal. That definitely affect your academic history which would be a critical reason to be refused by certain universities as result.

Scholarity in japan is really a serious business (both for social standing and career), so having such occurence can screw you to no end.
Even if it didn't affect Rei for the future considering the context, I really doubt that period of time where she had to bear the idea of repeating a grade for no reason was anything pleasant.

As much as I was already aware of this part from the manga, I still see little to no point in Shido's existence, except being a plot device so characters would be forced to leave the bus early (so more complicated situations as result).
And it is incredible to see such ridiculous cliche regarding katana. I mean, you don't entrust them to your average joe, and Saeko suggesting to give that Murata to Takeshi is really silly regarding her experience and "usual" judgment.
Old 2010-09-13, 12:52   Link #4316
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Ep 11 :

Best part for me is when Takashi compared the team with RPG class game "Alice? ..... Alice is Alice"

How i laughed for Shido specially his last funny face

And last line was epic :

"IT'S AN ARMAGEDDON!!!"

Btw , lulz for Shido and his team's pic at the end
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 13:12   Link #4317
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
... Except that having to repeat a grade in Japan is a big deal. That definitely affect your academic history which would be a critical reason to be refused by certain universities as result.

Scholarity in japan is really a serious business (both for social standing and career), so having such occurence can screw you to no end.
Even if it didn't affect Rei for the future considering the context, I really doubt that period of time where she had to bear the idea of repeating a grade for no reason was anything pleasant.
I really hope that people keep that in mind if they are going to judge that what happened to Rei is not much of a big deal. The whole thing that lead to Rei repeating her grade is petty, petty and petty. I don't have much trust toward politicians (which is what Shido's dad is) but I have full throttle hate for politicians petty enough to use their relationships to screw over a family. And I don't have sympathy for those executing their orders either. Which means I will never have sympathy for Shido. I didn't have any for him after what he did to that kid who fell, I don't have any for him after what we ahve seen what happened to the bus and I will NEVER have any after reading his backstory, that is just, imo, a Freudian excuse.

Quote:
As much as I was already aware of this part from the manga, I still see little to no point in Shido's existence, except being a plot device
If I had a little more faith about whether the mangaka knew what to do with his stuff, I'd have thought that maybe he wanted to give takashi his polar opposite. But honestly, his presence in the cast is no less than "let's introduce a character everyone will hate", there is no zombie apocalypse scenario without a complete douchebag that will evntually bring ruin (Patrick in Dead Set, Rhodes in Day of the Dead, The Governor in Walking Dead, etc...)

Last edited by Sheba; 2010-09-13 at 14:10. Reason: rephrasing and typos
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 13:28   Link #4318
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post

I mean, you don't entrust them to your average joe, and Saeko suggesting to give that Murata to Takeshi is really silly regarding her experience and "usual" judgment.

It's probably one of those 'what's mine is his and what's his is mine' kind of things...

Seriously though, it's probably symbolic - by giving her the sword he's entrusting his daughter to Saeko, she in turn says you can entrust her to Takashi - he's our leader afterall.
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 13:30   Link #4319
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Entrusting a weapon is no more symbolic than entrusting a position to someone. If anything else, expressing their trust and faith into him would be better in fact.

You don't entrust that kind of sword to someone who cannot use it properly. Even though it is a huge symbol for the kinds like Takagi's daddy, it is certainly not the same for other people. Due to this, using it as a mere symbol instead of actual weapon is anything but a waste. And should he use that, you can be sure he would be a definite liability, especially the blade is 60-80 cm long from what we were shown.

Any practioner in swordsmanship would definitely know that putting such kind of weapon in an amateur's hands is silly, period.
Old 2010-09-13, 13:38   Link #4320
Kopi
Σ(゚ロ゚ノ)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneizel View Post
That's something that was cut out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjTrizz View Post
They cut out a fairly large portion of Shido's backstory. They cut out why his mother committed suicide and his reasoning for listening to his father.

His mother committed suicide because his father was having an affair with another woman in Tokyo. He continued to do his work as a teacher, at the school his father chose (and was the director of), so he could still be of use to him. Shido finds out that he won't be the one to succeed his father, but his younger brother. Shido's dad had a kid with the woman in Tokyo. Which sent him down the path he currently is on. His goal was to bring down his father, so he worked for him and at the same time was looking to dig up as much dirt as possible on his father. Rei's dad happened to be an obstacle because her father was opposed to whatever Shido's dad was involved with and was investigating the people supporting him.

Sure, Shido wasn't a bad guy at first and explains why he did what he did to Rei, but I don't think his backstory explains why he's so twisted...you feel sorry for him, then we remember his little monologue before kicking a student's face in, and then leaving another student out of the bus to be killed by zombies because he didn't agree with Shido. That was something else they cut out, why the student was left outside. He disagreed with what Shido was talking about, he just wanted to go see his family. I believe one of the girls said something like "why would you want to be with your family again, they wouldn't let you do things like this!" and they show the guy groping on her and whatnot.
Thanks for the info and ya, I kinda of forgot how Shido treated his student(s) earlier in the series At least his group was chased away by Saya's father while looking pathetic But what the heck, we got missiles incoming lol!
Kopi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, boobs, ecchi, harem, horror, romance, seinen, shounen, zombie apocalypse