AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-01-24, 15:25   Link #5301
Sister Princess
Easy Operation

Speaking of Paypal again, is it true never reveal bank account because it's unsafe? Also, does Paypal has a service fee every time you use it and/or having too low amount of money in Paypal account?
Sister Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 15:29   Link #5302
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Bank account information are often extremely critical, hence why using only secured websites and/or paypal help a lot for this.

Paypal do not charge you directly, since it actually take a % from what the seller receives. However, you will have to pay a fee should you send a payment on the "personal" category (gift etc), otherwise, the person you are sending the money to will receive slightly less (they will warn you anyway).

An example that I recently had to go through: Suppose you want to send 700 yens to a friend's paypal account, you will have to pay 763 so they will receive the full amount. Otherwise they will receive 637.
Old 2012-01-24, 21:09   Link #5303
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Princess View Post
Speaking of Paypal again, is it true never reveal bank account because it's unsafe? Also, does Paypal has a service fee every time you use it and/or having too low amount of money in Paypal account?
PayPal doesn't reveal any bank or credit card information. They take the money from your source, and then they provide the money to wherever you're trying to pay. The business or person you are paying only sees that they have money in their PayPal account, and that it came from your PayPal account. They don't know anything else about where the money came from.

As Klashikari mentioned, the service fee only comes into play when you're trying to use PayPal to send money to someone. Suppose you want to send money to a family member, or suppose you're selling something locally and your buyer wants to send money through PayPal. In those cases where no "checkout process" is involved, PayPal does have a processing fee. If you are sending money between countries, I believe PayPal also charges a currency conversion fee.

Even though PayPal sort of operates like a bank, they do not have any requirements about money in your account. Most people just use PayPal to make payments, and you do not need to transfer money into PayPal to do that. You give PayPal access to a funding source (a credit card, a bank account, or both) and when you make a payment, PayPal deducts the amount to be paid from the account. If you use PayPal that way, your PayPal account will never have any money sitting in it.

I don't think that anyone has ever had a problem using PayPal as a payment service. The complaints about the service come from people who sell things and accumulate money in their accounts. From what I hear, occasionally PayPal makes it difficult to transfer the money out of your PayPal account and into your bank account.
Old 2012-01-25, 03:29   Link #5304
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Bank account information are often extremely critical, hence why using only secured websites and/or paypal help a lot for this.
Not when you have idiots working in the finance department who are more interested in keeping themselves well paid instead of paying their tech dept to teching up their ATMs.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 04:26   Link #5305
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
I've got a question regarding numbers in Japanese with military units after playing Muv-Luv.

In the game the player's unit initially is the A207 with units from 01 to 06.

I'll use the protag's designation, A20706. So he would say, A-Ni-Rei-Nana-Rei-Roku when referring to himself, correct? It just sounds like they say something other than Rei. Like it really rolls off their tongue easily. Is there another term for 0 in certain instances that I've missed or is my hearing really that bad?

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 05:25   Link #5306
HasuMasu
*Artist

^ Is it 'maru'?
Old 2012-01-25, 06:05   Link #5307
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

That's what I thought!

When Marimo said A20700 I thought she said "maru-maru" at the end.

What's it's significance, just another way of saying zero?

Is it similar to like four being shi/yon ?

Old 2012-01-25, 06:12   Link #5308
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Maru literally means a circle.

A zero is kinda like a circle, and the Japanese way of writing it tend to be more circle-like too, so...

Think of it as saying "1005" in English as "one-o-o-five," except more commonly used.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 06:14   Link #5309
HasuMasu
*Artist

I think it's more like how we say "ohw" instead of "zero" sometimes.

BK-201 is referred to as "Bee Kay-Ni Maru Ichi" in Darker than Black.
Old 2012-01-25, 06:37   Link #5310
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Thanks for the clarification, mates!

Old 2012-01-29, 06:35   Link #5311
HasuMasu
*Artist

When you download something through torrent, does that mean you upload it too?
Old 2012-01-29, 06:41   Link #5312
Yuno
Balanced Diet

Who is Cthulhu and why does he have to bathe the world in sadness?
Yuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 06:43   Link #5313
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofiel View Post
Who is Cthulhu and why does he have to bathe the world in sadness?
He is the villain of some cliche magical girl anime that's why.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 06:44   Link #5314
Yuno
Balanced Diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
He is the villain of some cliche magical girl anime that's why.
Oh... I see, so that is why. I hope they stop him because I heard that all would be sadness and that he'd watch my crimson blood leak from my neck. I was rather scared. Thank you for clearing that up Konakaga!
Yuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 06:57   Link #5315
Xenio
Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
When you download something through torrent, does that mean you upload it too?
yes, you upload what you have downloaded for the people who have less progress than you

Last edited by Xenio; 2012-01-29 at 07:48.
Xenio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 07:15   Link #5316
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenio View Post
yes, you upload what you have downloaded for the people have less progress than you
And there is no way to stop this?
Old 2012-01-29, 07:17   Link #5317
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
There is but you will be penalized in score and your speeds will slowly grind to a crawl. BitTorrent clients give points to other clients that upload, that's how the system works. If everyone would stop uploading then the system wouldn't be able to function since there aren't any servers involved.
Old 2012-01-29, 07:23   Link #5318
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
There is but you will be penalized in score and your speeds will slowly grind to a crawl. BitTorrent clients give points to other clients that upload, that's how the system works. If everyone would stop uploading then the system wouldn't be able to function since there aren't any servers involved.
I'm using Utorrent, so that means if I'm still uploading even if I delete the torrent file?
Old 2012-01-29, 07:32   Link #5319
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Most public torrents(anime fansubs are generally on public trackers) don't really have such a feature to my knowledge, as I know people with quite bad ratios on their torrents and they still get decent download speeds...

Though as you said it does mess with the system some, so I personally upload back generally anyways, though general files are seeded to certain level by person releasing the file, which means some gets sent out regardless of new users uploading, otherwise the file wouldn't be able to seed in the first place .

Quote:
There are ways to do so(or at least minimize the amount uploaded), if you want to for some reason.

1. Set upload limit to lowest speed possible (should be around 1kb/s)

2. Remove torrents and .torrent files from the client when it finishes downloading.

Edit:
Quote:
I'm using Utorrent, so that means if I'm still uploading even if I delete the torrent file?
No once the .torrent is gone and removed the file from the client it can't download or upload it anymore.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 07:44   Link #5320
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Most public torrents(anime fansubs are generally on public trackers) don't really have such a feature to my knowledge, as I know people with quite bad ratios on their torrents and they still get decent download speeds...

Though as you said it does mess with the system some, so I personally upload back generally anyways, though general files are seeded to certain level by person releasing the file, which means some gets sent out regardless of new users uploading, otherwise the file wouldn't be able to seed in the first place .
This has nothing to do with what goes on in private trackers, I'm talking about how the system allocates bandwidth internally regardless of whether there's a tracker involved or not.

Also in more popular torrents there's so many people downloading (and uploading) that it's only natural that everyone gets good download speeds since there aren't enough highly rated clients to take up all the download slots.

Tags
problem, q&a, serious