Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2021-02-06, 21:39   Link #201
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Fighting rogue curse users is part of job though.
Oh yeah, forgot about that.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-06, 22:52   Link #202
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
You sure about that? I mean, the witch-girl just bombarded Nobara with outta-nowhere monologue & exposition about Maki. It's such an obvious & blatant way to present exposition that I'm actually surprised by it .
This is my gripe with the new generation of manga trying to replace the shonen trinity. When it comes to talk-no-jutsu and expressing motivation mid-battle, they're as delicate as sledgehammers. Whether it's giving exposition and monologues out of nowhere or giving backstories that fail to rouse interest.

I think the point here was that the witch felt Nobara wasn't taking the job seriously because she was defending Yuuji.
Old 2021-02-07, 01:58   Link #203
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
It's normal for sorcerers to increase their physical ability with cursed energy, but they're normal when not doing that. Maki on the other hand has those physical abilities naturally, so she's superhuman.
That defense rings hollow in the face of this show's inconsistency with power levels. In episode 1, Megumi was ready to pass out after receiving just one slap from a giant lower-level curse. A far cry from how he withstood Sukuna's DBZ-level abuse to his body. It also doesn't help your case when the anime reportedly added more Sukuna-abuse to Megumi with original scenes not found in the manga just to flex MAPPA's animation might.

Quote:
They mixed in the exposition with the fighting which is why it felt more natural.
Nah, the witch's exposition felt more like "Oh btw, let me tell you this...."-level of odd monologue/exposition timing than a natural-flowing conversation. You want an example of natural exposition? Pretty much 90% of FMA's exposition feels more natural & less clumsy.
Old 2021-02-07, 18:08   Link #204
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
That defense rings hollow in the face of this show's inconsistency with power levels. In episode 1, Megumi was ready to pass out after receiving just one slap from a giant lower-level curse. A far cry from how he withstood Sukuna's DBZ-level abuse to his body.
There are basically two explanations for this. Gege hadn't come up with the cursed energy buff at that point, kinda like what happened with haki in One Piece.

Alternatively, Magumi simply let his guard down and wasn't using cursed energy in the first example.

Quote:
Nah, the witch's exposition felt more like "Oh btw, let me tell you this...."-level of odd monologue/exposition timing than a natural-flowing conversation. You want an example of natural exposition? Pretty much 90% of FMA's exposition feels more natural & less clumsy.
It's more natural than simple still cuts of faces while they exposition.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-07, 20:38   Link #205
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
There are basically two explanations for this. Gege hadn't come up with the cursed energy buff at that point, kinda like what happened with haki in One Piece.

Alternatively, Magumi simply let his guard down and wasn't using cursed energy in the first example.
The gap between what happened in episode 1 & Sukuna abuse is too far. Consider the following:
  1. The big curse got easily annihilated by a handwave of single-finger Sukuna. Yet Megumi could hardly stand after getting a single hit by that same lame curse.
  2. Megumi tanking three-finger Sukuna's DBZ attack and not even suffering crippling injury like example number 1, still able to stand and even ready to do his hissatsu afterward.

Both examples show Megumi who are fully alert & combat-ready. And there was no big power-up for Megumi in between those two events.

Quote:
It's more natural than simple still cuts of faces while they exposition.
The problem is how you write exposition into the story. Not whether you do it mid-battle or not.
Old 2021-02-12, 17:43   Link #206
Wandering Soul

Now we've gotten to the point of the tournament arc where the villains crash it. You know they really fear Gojou when they build a barrier that's built specifically to stop him and just him.

The old man trying to kill Yuji really surprised me with his choice of weapon.
Old 2021-02-12, 17:50   Link #207
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
My condolences to Miwa. Has a pretty sad finish to her fight and then just gets a KO phone call. Something that if nothing else happened would have been fairly pointless since she wasn't going to be a factor in this any longer. But now it becomes a very dangerous move since since she's unconscious in the middle of all this. Not that she's the only person that took a hit during this test and is left vulnerable, but just a main individual in this specific episode.

Anyways, this is pretty bad. You've got some powerful individuals making their move and they took extra steps to keep Gojou out of it. A very specific limit, but that of course makes it hard to handle. Have to hope those that could make it inside are going to be able to get the job done.

Good episode though.
Old 2021-02-12, 17:54   Link #208
Tenzen12

Even though I know setting of this show is all about curses, I didn't expect this episode will end with actual cursed video. Sorry I can't ship Hanabi and Tougo no matter how much they blush!
Old 2021-02-12, 19:24   Link #209
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I wasn't expecting the guitar from the OP to actually show up in the anime (I thought it was simply included to match the song), and even less as the weapon of choice of the old man.

About time the villains crashed the party because this tournament has been pretty boring. It's been pretty much entirely carried by Mappa's stellar animation.

The Juju Stroll was the most disturbing so far.
Old 2021-02-12, 19:37   Link #210
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I wasn't expecting the guitar from the OP to actually show up in the anime (I thought it was simply included to match the song), and even less as the weapon of choice of the old man.
OH!

I'm not sure if I would have ever made the connection if someone hadn't said something. Thanks!

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-12, 21:16   Link #211
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Yay, talk-like-thugs-and-fight-each-other arc is finally over... hopefully...

Also, okay. Usually the OP characters are somehow killed to keep them out of the story, but I guess barriers that specifically block him works too...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-12, 21:29   Link #212
grecefar

Its somewhat rare the choice of weapon to be a guitar, but being the old man using the guitar now that is something.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-13, 04:54   Link #213
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Yeah I'm not feeling this episode other than the animation. The sad attempt at fleshing out the arrow-guy fell really flat. And when the school got infiltrated, I don't give a shit about the majority of the characters.

If Jujutsu is supposed to take notes from Naruto (among others) and improve on it, this opening act of crashing the tournament of Jujutsu tech doesn't hold a candle compared to the crashing of Chuunin Exam which cemented by Orochimaru putting a kunai on Hokage's neck, ready to slit his throat. Naruto crushes Jujutsu when it comes to character build-up & scenario build-up in this type of arc. It was tension everywhere before the actual Konoha crashing where we actually care about most named characters from Konoha. In Jujutsu, many of the named characters from the school are just eccentric a-holes with clumsy character flesh-out not really worthy of emotional investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
Its somewhat rare the choice of weapon to be a guitar, but being the old man using the guitar now that is something.
Meet Kamen Rider Todoroki

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2021-02-13, 12:36   Link #214
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
That, and you could get almost the same effect by having a 7-shooter revolver.
This is anime, so she could be better served by learning this signature move, just saying:

https://youtu.be/yKUpifAI9yk?t=60
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-13, 14:51   Link #215
MCAL

Damn, we're really seeing the negative effects of climate change now!
MCAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-13, 16:00   Link #216
Magewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
This is anime, so she could be better served by learning this signature move, just saying:

https://youtu.be/yKUpifAI9yk?t=60
I guess I have been watching anime too long since I knew what that was before clicking the link. But I think she is lacking the attributes to pull it off.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-19, 18:04   Link #217
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The requirements for Black Flash are pretty ridiculous, and all it does is enhance the attack's power by... 2.5. That's low. Only other perk we were told of is that it enables you to "taste" your own cursed energy and better master it.

Animation was pretty crazy as usual.
Old 2021-02-19, 22:07   Link #218
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The requirements for Black Flash are pretty ridiculous, and all it does is enhance the attack's power by... 2.5. That's low. Only other perk we were told of is that it enables you to "taste" your own cursed energy and better master it.

Animation was pretty crazy as usual.
Black Flash is actually victim of a translation error. It raises the attack power of an attack by 2.5 exponentially, as in raising an attack of 10 to 10^2.5.
Old 2021-02-20, 00:04   Link #219
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

...Can we not stop the battle scene every few minutes for explanatory lines?

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-20, 01:51   Link #220
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

It's nice that Itadori embraced Toudou's brand of madness...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
Black Flash is actually victim of a translation error. It raises the attack power of an attack by 2.5 exponentially, as in raising an attack of 10 to 10^2.5.
So what's the typical attack value? What does that 10 even represent?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, exorcists, spirits, supernatural