AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-12-02, 19:47   Link #1
maxthelostboy

What anime dvd should i get for xmas?

Well i love galazy express 999 type animes. space , drama, and action. WHat anime dvds should i look to buy personally not a huge series, but more of a movie or a ova. Thanks also i want licensed anime in north america
Old 2003-12-02, 20:01   Link #2
LynnieS

You may want to try AnimeNfo's genres search function. I took a quick look at the Drama section, which is far smaller than the Action one , and came up with "Five Star Stories". The title is not licensed in the U.S., but you can find a legitimate version of the Japanese DVD in the U.S.

Legitimate in the sense that it was created by the Japanese company for sale, and not a bootleg. It's region 0 (or region-free), and my copy comes with English subtitles.

It could be a bit hard to find outside of Japanese bookstores, though, which is a minus. Cost-wise, you'll pay full retail, or approx. US$30 (or was it US$35), excluding tax.

/me wonders why "Hamtaro" is listed as a drama... I never thought of it as particularly dramatic before.
Old 2003-12-02, 20:32   Link #3
Lambda

Gunbuster fits that description pretty well. (Although it's also got some parody in it, it's functionally a mixture of hard sci-fi in space, action and melodrama, each of which support each other, for example a lot of the drama comes from the effects of time dilation.) It's a 6 part OVA, and also happens to be absolutely fantastic. (Made by the Gainax/Anno combination before Eva.)
Old 2003-12-02, 20:58   Link #4
lordwu

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthelostboy
Well i love galazy express 999 type animes. space , drama, and action. WHat anime dvds should i look to buy personally not a huge series, but more of a movie or a ova. Thanks also i want licensed anime in north america
Maybe you can try Cosmo Warrior Zero. It's under $20 for the whole series with DDD's 20% off sale and if you like GE999 you would like the art style in CWZ too.

Also, get Arcadia of my Youth. It's a 160 minutes movie and I like it quite a lot though somebody might think it's a bit cliche.
Old 2003-12-02, 21:32   Link #5
maxthelostboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordwu
Maybe you can try Cosmo Warrior Zero. It's under $20 for the whole series with DDD's 20% off sale and if you like GE999 you would like the art style in CWZ too.

Also, get Arcadia of my Youth. It's a 160 minutes movie and I like it quite a lot though somebody might think it's a bit cliche.

arcadia of my youth looks great but whats ddd's* is it a site if so list url please and thanks for the posts so far more if any1 else has ideas
Closed Thread