AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2010-06-09, 12:37   Link #1341
Pocky Yoshi
Disabled By Request

The 8th ms team or something like that. Only reason why I know is because I have Shiro Amada's gundam.
Pocky Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 12:52   Link #1342
fizzmaister
The Tall One

Yup, it's from "Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team." It's a 12 episode OVA set during the mid to late One Year War (original Mobile Suit Gundam).
Old 2010-06-09, 13:15   Link #1343
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamuSkull View Post
The 8th ms team or something like that. Only reason why I know is because I have Shiro Amada's gundam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzmaister View Post
Yup, it's from "Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team." It's a 12 episode OVA set during the mid to late One Year War (original Mobile Suit Gundam).
Thanks, guys, I thought so but I wanted to make sure
Old 2010-06-30, 12:08   Link #1344
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engels View Post
What is the meaning of the term 'Mobile Suit' in the Gundam universe? What relation does it have to giant robots?

PS.: I KNOW that 'Mobile Suit' is derived from some terms of an American sci-fi novel ('powered suit' and 'mobile...'); what I want to know is if there is a MEANING to the term, i.e. not etimology (derivation), but SEMANTIC. Just to be clear. Also, these are not two questions -- just two different ways of putting it.
Here's an answer from Gundam's creator Tomino himself, from an interview conducted by ANN: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...s-conference/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomino
But if I may sort of toot my own horn for a moment, when I started out in this field, the field that centered around giant robots or robots that looked like humans, they tended to be kind of ridiculed. They were considered characters, not real people, and they were not taken seriously. In my only display of brilliance and talent is that I took this concept and I really didn't talk about robots, or human-like robots. I talked about “Mobile Suits.” I think that is where the secret of our success lay.

In other words, by creating this new new phrase, “Mobile Suit,” I think we were able to give the Gundam series a completely different aspect that differentiated it from the robot stories that seemed to be only for children. I believe we were able to develop a fan base that viewed these mobile suit robots as very different from what had come before. In fact, in Japan, when we look at the Gundam series, we don't look at them as robot stories, but as real robot stories that are considered a slightly different subgenre.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-30, 16:30   Link #1345
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
C.A.,

Thanks for the reply, but I'm afraid that your answer isn't exactly what I am looking for. I was kind of expecting that this question would be misundertood, so I am quite prepared to try for the second time (well, third really, because, as you can see, I have already tried to cope with that ).

Look, there is 'Mobile Suit', right? Now, I can quite understand the use of the word 'mobile' in this context of giant robots in the Gundam series. There is to me at least one very simple explanation: well, the freaking robot moves. It's a 'mobile' thing.

Now I cannot rationalize away in any way possible a similarily coherent explanation for the use of this second word. 'Suit' is said by the Merrian Webster to have various meanings depending on the situation, but looking at that page, I can't think of one definition as being even remotely relevant. Question: how a giant robot is a costume (i.e. a 'suit')?

What I am saying is that I cannot find any logical, 'in universe', coherent meaning for the term that has something to do with giant robots. It just seems, technicaly, to be a randomly chosen one with no sense at all -- not in context, at least. Now it seems hard for me to buy that, but that's what it appears to be in reality.

I have a strange suspect that there might be a very silly, simply reason for this, but now I simply can't think of one. So I would really appreciate if someone could do that for me.

Of course -- if it is in official sources.

PS.: In any case, that Tomino interview was very interesting and informative.
I'd say the word 'suit' is a nod to the term "suit of armor".
Old 2010-07-03, 03:35   Link #1346
Kittenlady

I know Innovade information is sketchy at best, and often contradictory, but how much do we know in terms of timeline/when they were awakened etc.?

In particular, I've seen it said a lot that Tieria was a replacement for Regene as a meister or something. But, I've always assumed (so I could be totally wrong about this) Ribbons awakened the rest of the Innovade's in between seasons 1+2, which obviously makes Tieria 'older' than Regene.

I'm not even sure what I'm asking really, so could someone just pretty please clarify the situation? <3 I'll love you forever.

While I'm at it, what exactly is Regene? First he was a combat-type that never did anything, then he was an intelligence(?)-type, and now he apparently does pilot something (well, a lot of somethings), but with his mind (like the lazy bastard he is<3).
Kittenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-08, 14:12   Link #1347
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

I don't know the real reason behind it, but I would assume for many purposes.

Mainly for power consumption, fear factor?
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-08, 19:06   Link #1348
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
What you mean, "power consumption"?

Others are welcome to answer, btw.
Well, it's not like something as big as a mobile suit can be run on energizer batteries. A big machine requiers big sources of energy.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-09, 12:53   Link #1349
RAVNEN

Send a message via Yahoo to RAVNEN
My guess would be fear factor & versatility.The MSG 08th MS team & MS IGLOO show really showcase what a big walking robot's would/could do in combat situation.

If im remember correctly...there are some characters in Gundam Wing says something about big tall MS would instill fear on people..(my gundam wing memory banks are bit blurry n dusty..)
Old 2010-07-09, 13:19   Link #1350
fizzmaister
The Tall One

^ I think that was Noin explaining to Relena why the Romefeller building is surrounded by unmanned/statues of Leos. Or maybe the Leos were piloted and they were guarding the building, I'm not sure, but I think that was the context. Fear.
Old 2010-07-10, 11:40   Link #1351
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
However, I think that does not answer. I mean, why specifically 18 meters? I guess that's the official number, is it not? If there hasn't a reason for this number, why they would even specifyit? I mean, that is a big robot, OK, nobody denies. But a 60 feet tall one? WHY?!?!
They're not all 18 meters. RX-78 was, but in UC they eventually grew (Nu Gundam was 22 meters tall (head height), and then shrunk (F91 and Victory were 15 meters tall).

The AU Gundams vary from around 16 meters to 20 meters. And non-Gundams are all over the place. So no, there is no set number.
Old 2010-07-12, 21:34   Link #1352
Hellbore

Quote:
Ah, OK. That's what I thought you said. Thanks for confirming.

However, I think that does not answer. I mean, why specifically 18 meters? I guess that's the official number, is it not? If there hasn't a reason for this number, why they would even specifyit? I mean, that is a big robot, OK, nobody denies. But a 60 feet tall one? WHY?!?!

Or rather, from where has this number been taken from?
18m is the approx height of Mazinger Z, so there an out of universe reason for you.

On Compromise: Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.
Hellbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-14, 23:46   Link #1353
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Which full series where the main character stick with just one gundam through out (no changes, upgrades or anything)?

All I could think of is the original gundam and turn A gundam...
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 00:01   Link #1354
LoneWolfFenrir

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
Which full series where the main character stick with just one gundam through out (no changes, upgrades or anything)?

All I could think of is the original gundam and turn A gundam...
Think the only other one is 0080. Christina only pilots the Alex Gundam. Although the series is quite short.
LoneWolfFenrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 00:30   Link #1355
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Technically, the original Gundam was upgraded during the series, with a magnetic coating on its joints. In the novel version, Amuro instead upgraded to the RX-73-3 Gundam, which was basically the same, only in different colors and with said joint coating.

Not sure, but I do believe Seabook Arno never upgraded his Mobile Suit during Gundam F91. He graduated to one of the Crossbone Gundams in the respective manga, but that's still a different series.
Old 2010-07-15, 12:49   Link #1356
jonli
JONLIの憂'

I clearly remember that we had a thread about Ecole Du Ciel many eons ago, but I can't seem to find it. A few years ago I decided to give the series another try and I enjoyed it a lot more this time, the slow publications just got me bored at the beginning but now I have to say it is a formidable piece of work.

Anyway but question is that, what happened to the series? Was it canceled? I didn't see anything new for a while and it seems like it's about to end.
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 04:17   Link #1357
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
can i ask what song is played in this trailer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 10:30   Link #1358
jmaximum

Zeta Gundam anime series

Hi, I am new to the group so I apologize if i post this in the wrong spot, but i have a few questions about the Zeta Gundam series.
I just watched MS IGLOO 1 & 2, and have seen most of Mobile Suit Gundan. Also watched 0080 and 0083. What I am curious about is: How does the AEUG (which seems closely related to Zeon) have MK II GM's, and the Argama (which looks similar to the White Base and Trojan Horse). Also, why do the titans Fly Hizacks, when most versions of the Zaku are Zeon-only. One would think the Titans would want nothing to do with a design based off of Zeon/Spacenoid technology.

Thanks!
jmax
jmaximum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 12:56   Link #1359
fizzmaister
The Tall One

The AEUG splintered off from the Earth Federation. The AEUG founders were actually pretty high up in the federation leadership, but they saw what the titans were doing, and didn't want anything to do with that. Of course, a lot of the rank and file members were former Zeon that still don't like the EF and for one reason or another didn't go to Axis.

The titans have Hizacks because after the defeat of Zeon, the EF tried getting as much MS info from Zeon as they could. Zeon was much more advanced in the MS construction business; in fact, the Gelgoog is stated to have performance superior to that of the original Gundam. The only reason A Baoa Qu fell was because Zeon ran out of experienced pilots that could make use of the capabilities of the suit.

The reason the AEUG has GM IIs is because the leaders (former EF leaders) still had contacts in Anaheim Electronics, the people that made most of the mobile suits. Anaheim Electronics also has no qualms selling mobile suits to anyone.
Old 2010-07-20, 09:50   Link #1360
jmaximum

Thanks fizzmaister. That actually clears up a lot for me. I just finished episode 12 - The Winds of Jaburo, were most of the episode takes place in Granada and Aman cities on the moon. The AEUG influence higher up in the chain of command became more evident. I like that Cptn Bright went over to AEUG because the Titans were d!#ks to him. But wouldnt Cptn Bright recognize Lt Quattro as Char? And it was kind of odd that Kai Shinden just happened to be out in the middle of the jungle, wearing a white suit, outside Jaburo where Roux was spying.

Thanks for the clarifications!
Jmax
jmaximum is offline   Reply With Quote