chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundamx View Post
In manga they didn't follow him
Spoiler for manga comparison pic:

But titan still attack them

anime > shounen > guts!
Spoiler for Manga Comparison:

Last edited by chaos_alfa; 2013-05-05 at 07:07.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 06:58   Link #142
MartianMage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbayker View Post
I was referring to anime main protagonists in general. Granted there are those who actually die (even more than once) such as Goku from Dragonball and Yuusuke from Yu Yu Hakusho but they don't stay dead for very long and are revived by some plot devise. But in the case SnK it would be very anticlimactic if Eren just died from being eaten by a titan without even coming close to his goal.
But what happens if the anime decides to change the "main protagonists?" (like Ga-rei: Zero) Then what?

It's fine to be skeptical but there's a good reason for people to assume that Eren died because you know what? Getting devoured pretty much means death in most cases. =/
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 06:59   Link #143
Bombo
TSF Fans

I like the instant kill but the way to show us is boring as manga reader but it's still understandable ....

I give 9/10 minus one for killing show .

Farewell Mina
Bombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 07:16   Link #144
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

What the humans really need is a fast-reloading, ACCURATE PRECISION SHOT cannons.
Sure, blowing the head off a titan only stops it for a minute. Just make sure the second shot destroys the neck.
Old 2013-05-05, 07:34   Link #145
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by revive4563 View Post
Already author confessed that he stole from various manga, game, animes.
Especially, he stole initial setting from Muv Luv because he is Muv Luv fan.
More like he took significant inspiration from those other properties. It's okay, great works are built on the shoulders of giants and no one creates in a vacuum. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery after all.
Old 2013-05-05, 07:51   Link #146
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Train of despair finally starts. Yup, this is definitely the Shingeki no Kyojin that I remember reading in the manga. Full of false hope, despair, and titan snacks. We can talk about the titans now right? Yeah, so basically they are designed to tell humanity that there is NO HOPE.
Old 2013-05-05, 08:13   Link #147
yankky5

What they need is a jeager
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

ie: a very very big mech xD

note: dont mind the title
Old 2013-05-05, 08:23   Link #148
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankky5 View Post
Where’s Ultraman when you need him?!
Old 2013-05-05, 08:29   Link #149
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

What the hell? They just killed the supposed protagonist like that? Consider me rendered speechless.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 08:32   Link #150
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankky5 View Post
They've already got/had one

just in case:look at Eren's last name
Old 2013-05-05, 08:39   Link #151
yankky5

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
They've already got/had one

just in case:look at Eren's last name
That jeager is too puny by 78.42 meters
Old 2013-05-05, 08:48   Link #152
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

So much for exterminating all the titans, eh? He kicked the bucket before even killing one of them. That was a harsh reality check. Being a hot-headed protagonist is no good in a cruel world like this.
Old 2013-05-05, 08:52   Link #153
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I get the feeling that Mikasa is going to be devastated by the news of Eren's death. Her worst fears came true. I guess that makes her a flag-raiser, of the very unfortunate sort.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 09:14   Link #154
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

wow, what the fudge. Show's over.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 09:31   Link #155
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

I really liked this episode, main character getting eaten already this show really is good. Really reminds me of Berserk
Old 2013-05-05, 09:33   Link #156
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
So much for exterminating all the titans, eh? He kicked the bucket before even killing one of them. That was a harsh reality check. Being a hot-headed protagonist is no good in a cruel world like this.
To be fair, his hot-bloodedness did at least put Jean into a better frame of thought and managed to make him help Armin up until the end. He may have fallen far short of his goals but at least he went out helping his friend which is at least admirable.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 09:39   Link #157
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Thumbs up

Wow, what an episode!

Lots of information regarding the Titans, especially the regeneration info. They really are quite a formidable foe. I especially didn't expect to see them jumping at their prey, and their reaction time is awesome (see Titan swatting soldier out of mid-air, and Titan jumping at Eren as he is passing overhead at 80 mph). These aren't the mindless zombies we all thought they were.

I thought it was particularly interesting that the teacher mentioned that the Titans have a high temperature, and when Eren struck the Colossal titan, he said it burns (relying on what the subbers said). I wonder if this has something to do with the regeneration process. I also thought it was pretty neat that the Colossal Titan simply disappeared.

I believe we have seen our first female Titan when they were coming towards the wall. She is the dark haired one on the right. Those were definitely boobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I am especially tired of people saying that so-and-so anime scene isn't as good as the manga's equivalent, and so on. Look, as an anime-only viewer, I couldn't care less how the anime compares to the manga. I'm judging the anime on its own merits, not on how similar it is to the manga. I don't need manga readers to come in here to tell me how the manga is better. If I'm curious, I'll find out on my own, thank you very much.
Preach on, brother!

Endless "Formidable foe" Soul
Old 2013-05-05, 09:46   Link #158
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
wow, what the fudge. Show's over.
Or just starting.

From now on, it's all Mikasa, all the time.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 09:49   Link #159
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eplipswich View Post
Pardon me for asking, but when did Eren's father actually give him the shot? The last I remember was Eren saying to Dad that he had been acting weird ever since Mom died. He then woke up, realizing it was a dream?

Anyway, this episode is a pure shocker. It's kind of expected that the titans would prevail over humans in this episode. Still, I kind of hoped that Eren's team at least had a chance in damaging the titans, but alas...

Well, here's hoping Eren and at least a few of his team members are still alive...

Oh, and the strange sudden appearances and disappearances of the Colossal and Armored Titans kind of make me wonder if a human is actually behind their sudden appearances and disappearances. That seems like a possibility to me ~ ~.
While it didn't show his father explicitly giving the shot, there was a syringe scene where his father was pushing him down and asking him for his arm, so it does appeared to me that he was given a shot (refer to episode 2). He also appeared to have given the key to him (the one mentioned in episode 1) and told him to get back to his old home. (Oh yeah, for the record, I re-watched them after episode 3 aired )

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbayker View Post
I was referring to anime main protagonists in general. Granted there are those who actually die (even more than once) such as Goku from Dragonball and Yuusuke from Yu Yu Hakusho but they don't stay dead for very long and are revived by some plot devise. But in the case SnK it would be very anticlimactic if Eren just died from being eaten by a titan without even coming close to his goal.
Klashikari was not referring to this. There are shows in which the audience was successfully led to believe that character A was the main protagonist from a number of factors like screen-time, hero or hero-to-be aura, POV, etc. etc. But later (sometimes early sometimes much later), character A got killed off permanently, and character B, who used to appear as a supporting character with a weak presence, got promoted to the main protagonist, or was in fact the true 'hidden' main protagonist all along. Totally different situations from Goku and Yuusuke. Klashikari probably didn't mention the specific animes for fear of spoiling those who have yet to watch them, and I guess you haven't watched any of those And it's actually done quite a few times that there's a trope for it. But looking at the trope page will spoil you

In any case, like the foreshadowing I mentioned previously (above as well), I doubt Eren has died. Unless he's really not the main protagonist, and he has given the key to Mikasa or Armin (though it makes no sense to do that unless it's going to get explained in a flashback) and they are the true protagonists. Though the syringe scene will be totally 'wasted' if that's the case

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
must.... refrain.... from.... reacting.... to.... posts.....

Next episode, new series "Fullmetal Titanhunter" starting, with protagonist with cybernetic arm and a leg, and Armin's soul perpetually trapped inside a gigantic armor titan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Where’s Ultraman when you need him?!
Guess they got eaten
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 09:50   Link #160
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
Pretty brutal, and I'm actually quite thankful for the Censorship, I don't think I could have taken seeing Mina get chewed on. At least she was knocked unconscious, unlike those other poor bastards.
If I remember correctly Mina was quite conscious
And even in the manga the last thing we see of her is her head being shoved inside the titan's mouth...we never actually directly see her death like in the anime, though it is implied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyTitan View Post
No they did expect it not that many 17m deviant class, also did you not see eren or some one yell watch out thats a special titan. Deviant class they learned all about them in class. I posted several times describing the deviant class of titan.
Aside from the Colossal Titan the tallest titans we've seen so far are 15 meters, not 17.

Quote:
What is the point if you have to see it before you can report it? The fun was already spoilt for you. And while some use the spoiler tags, they often forget to label it. I reported one such violation in another thread, but it was not addressed, so the mods probably have their hands full as it were.

I think the simplest courtesy is to avoid discussing anything from the manga in an anime thread. I feel that it's not too much to ask. After all, the relevant threads have already been compiled into a one-stop sub-forum.
You make it sound like all the manga readers have made it their goal to spoil the anime viewers...

Quote:
I am especially tired of people saying that so-and-so anime scene isn't as good as the manga's equivalent, and so on. Look, as an anime-only viewer, I couldn't care less how the anime compares to the manga. I'm judging the anime on its own merits, not on how similar it is to the manga. I don't need manga readers to come in here to tell me how the manga is better. If I'm curious, I'll find out on my own, thank you very much.

In any case, an anime doesn't have to be 100 per cent faithful to its manga source to be effective. The story in either medium only needs to be faithful to its creators' vision. Learn to accept that, and if manga readers can't, they should avoid watching the anime. They're asking for pointless grief.
As far as I am aware this is the thread to discuss the anime episode and making a comparison of certain scenes and the manga ones as well as their personal opinion on them IS also part of an episode's discussion, it's as part of the discussion as an anime-only viewer saying "This was a good scene, I liked this scene."

You are not forced to read every post and keep track of every discussion, so if there's a discussion going on that doesn't contain spoilers nor does it involve insults and the likes then I see no harm in it and if you don't like it....just ignore it and stop complaining about it. This thread isn't just for anime-only viewers, there is a thread for that...this thread is for discussing the episode.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote