AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2009-04-30, 00:58   Link #741
Seitsuki
Onee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4as View Post
Well, we are flat out dreaming here, so lets just go all the way and say it will have great support D:
… although I kind have my fingers crossed for Wachowscy brothers (those who directed Matrix and Speedracer) to somehow come across this game – they are the only people crazy enough to try making a movie like this.
don't say that >< there have always been really random and obscure things which people have picked up/continued in the hope that it will be a success regardless of commercial performance (just look at Beyond Good and Evil)
let's keep hoping!!
Wachowscy brothers? i thought that they mainly made action movies?..
seeing Ever17 turned into a straightout survival/action flick will break my heart ;_;
Old 2009-04-30, 03:14   Link #742
meh

Ever 17 cannot be changed into any format other than books for the simple reason that...

Spoiler for Game:
meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-30, 05:58   Link #743
4as
ForUs

Send a message via MSN to 4as
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh View Post
Ever 17 cannot be changed into any format other than books for the simple reason that...

Spoiler for Game:
Did you actually read what I wrote few post up?
I repeat, just in case: the movie would have to be done in first person view (kinda like Blair Witch Project).
4as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-30, 06:21   Link #744
Seitsuki
Onee!

i still think a series would be better though, eg an anime or a drama. movies tend to have to hafta cut out a load of things, like GTO; it can ruin developments and just rush things. tho yeah its a long shot..
Old 2009-04-30, 06:52   Link #745
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

Speaking of the possibility of anime or movie, I'm just wondering how well Ever 17 was sold in japan? I know it wasn't such a big success (sale-wise) in the west, but how well it was received by the japanese people? I can't find info on that on the wiki page.
Because despite how much I would like to watch it as an anime (or even movie whatever), it's unlikely they ever going to make one, if it was sold poorly in moonland too (regardless of the difficulties to animate it now).

(In my own opinion, It's a shame, but most anime these days -with a few exceptions- aren't story-centric as much as I'd prefer, so I seriously doubt they ever go through the trouble and animate such a fascinating story as Ever 17 is, especially if they didn't sold much of the game to the japanese audience.)
izmosmolnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-30, 08:38   Link #746
Elvin

The only VN I can think of that made the transition to live action movie is higu, and that's after it made the transition to anime and manga. The game did well enough to warrant the creation of a few drama CD's of what happened afterwards, but I don't have any numbers for you, sorry
Elvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-30, 11:44   Link #747
meh

Quote:
Did you actually read what I wrote few post up?
I repeat, just in case: the movie would have to be done in first person view (kinda like Blair Witch Project).
Actually, I simply dismissed it because it seemed so absurd there's no reason to comment on it. I mean, do you REALLY think such a movie(or anime or even manga) would work in a FPV?

If you're thinking a movie like the Blair Witch Project is a good model for a story like Ever 17, then I honestly don't know what to say.
Old 2009-04-30, 15:18   Link #748
4as
ForUs

Send a message via MSN to 4as
Quote:
Actually, I simply dismissed it because it seemed so absurd there's no reason to comment on it. I mean, do you REALLY think such a movie(or anime or even manga) would work in a FPV?
It can ONLY work in FPP, so it not a question "would it work" - it HAS to work that way. How good it would turned out later however is an another matter.
Quote:
If you're thinking a movie like the Blair Witch Project is a good model for a story like Ever 17, then I honestly don't know what to say.
It is the closest thing that comes to mind. They are similar, but Ever17 movie would require a completely new approach.
And you dont really have to say anything, we already know that Ever17's story is hard to adopt. Being skeptic is easy but it doesnt help, so instead try to exercise that brain muscle of yours and come up with better ideas.
4as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-30, 16:20   Link #749
Coruja

The Blair Witch Project, REC, Cloverfield, and many other FPV movies like these have got something that wouldn't be possible to emulate in Ever17: the character behind the POV usually owns a camera and that's why the stories are told that way (example: someone found the tape blabla), and as far as we know using a camera all the time inside Lemu wouldn't make much sense...

Anyway, it'd be pretty much impossible, but then again
Spoiler:
Coruja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-30, 17:58   Link #750
Seitsuki
Onee!

[QUOTE=SaraFilipa;2370708]The Blair Witch Project, REC, Cloverfield, and many other FPV movies like these have got something that wouldn't be possible to emulate in Ever17: the character behind the POV usually owns a camera and that's why the stories are told that way (example: someone found the tape blabla), and as far as we know using a camera all the time inside Lemu wouldn't make much sense...

they don't have to be holding a camera at all times, just have the POV be in first person (like a fps or something.) whichever way this is done there tho would still be some things which are impossible to correct such as presence/absence of sara/coco etcetc
Old 2009-04-30, 19:23   Link #751
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by izmosmolnar View Post
Speaking of the possibility of anime or movie, I'm just wondering how well Ever 17 was sold in japan? I know it wasn't such a big success (sale-wise) in the west, but how well it was received by the japanese people? I can't find info on that on the wiki page.
Because despite how much I would like to watch it as an anime (or even movie whatever), it's unlikely they ever going to make one, if it was sold poorly in moonland too (regardless of the difficulties to animate it now).

(In my own opinion, It's a shame, but most anime these days -with a few exceptions- aren't story-centric as much as I'd prefer, so I seriously doubt they ever go through the trouble and animate such a fascinating story as Ever 17 is, especially if they didn't sold much of the game to the japanese audience.)
I'm not sure if Ever 17 was a hit in Japan, but the fact that its the second of four games in a franchise and recently got a PSP port would tend to suggest that it wasn't a flop either.

Personally, when I've tried to visualize Ever 17 as an anime, I've ended up taking a lot of cues from the anime adaptations of Higurashi and EF.

Found this picture of grown-up Coco recently. It's actually by the original artist for the game too:

Last edited by 0utf0xZer0; 2009-04-30 at 20:35.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-30, 19:56   Link #752
Seitsuki
Onee!

the infinity series was pretty popular, although if the company had to declare bankruptancy then obviously it wasn't exactly a major commercial success either. either that or they released way too many crappy titles and not enough good ones
higurashi was good, but the two have different formats- what happened with higurashi i just can't see being applied to ever17. EF is interesting, hadn't considered that
Old 2009-04-30, 20:34   Link #753
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

I actually think the Higurashi formula could work... basically, cover all five plot arcs, and kick each off with an interesting "hook" scene from the middle of the arc. For example:

Spoiler for Tsugumi's route:

Ever 17 also has a number of scenes where I feel that getting character's private emotions across is important, which is why I suggested studying EF. I felt that series did a good job of bringing me close to the characters.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 13:27   Link #754
Coruja

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Found this picture of grown-up Coco recently. It's actually by the original artist for the game too:
That was a nice find, thank you! ^^
Coruja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 19:40   Link #755
Seitsuki
Onee!

Quote:
Spoiler for Tsugumi's route:
that would be.. an interesting way to start a series xD
the problem i think would be that anyone unfamiliar with the story would instantly think *wtf* as even Higurashi starts off normally enough (we'll just ignore the opening scene >_>). the events of Ever17 are such that until you get everything that has been occuring there is no way to understand the intrincities of it and dropping someone into the middle of the story is gonna confuse them no end. (wait actually, that might not be too bad xD)
on the other hand having an anime entirely in a first person view is unfeasible i suupose.
btw thanks for the pic :P if her voice and personality got changed too she just just got a rank-up on my list
Old 2009-05-03, 03:14   Link #756
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikita View Post
the infinity series was pretty popular, although if the company had to declare bankruptancy then obviously it wasn't exactly a major commercial success either. either that or they released way too many crappy titles and not enough good ones
higurashi was good, but the two have different formats- what happened with higurashi i just can't see being applied to ever17. EF is interesting, hadn't considered that
All of the infinity games were very popular, with translations into many languages. That one got into English is a testament to how well-received and liked they were.

Ever17 in particular was also acclaimed in Japan, but it was just one of many visual novels released in 2002, so not everyone knows about it. That it was selected for western localization makes it stand out a lot more clearly among visual novels from our perspective.

As for the bankruptcy, I've heard it was partially due to high production costs from character voice fees and I suspect bad business management had something to do with it. That's mostly just speculation, though not totally my own.
Malintex_Terek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-03, 17:57   Link #757
Seitsuki
Onee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
All of the infinity games were very popular, with translations into many languages. That one got into English is a testament to how well-received and liked they were.

Ever17 in particular was also acclaimed in Japan, but it was just one of many visual novels released in 2002, so not everyone knows about it. That it was selected for western localization makes it stand out a lot more clearly among visual novels from our perspective.

As for the bankruptcy, I've heard it was partially due to high production costs from character voice fees and I suspect bad business management had something to do with it. That's mostly just speculation, though not totally my own.
hm didn't think about VA fees, the sheer amount of lines would indeed mean that production is expensive. what i meant though was that in spite of their great works (infinity series etc) they also unfortunately made some real crap. they made PEPSIMAN for crying out loud. (hows that for bad management?)
still, seeing as the IP has been picked up that shows there are other companies who still see potential for the rest of the series. heres to hoping
Old 2009-05-03, 19:35   Link #758
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
SaraFilipa: Lady in the Lake ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039545/ ) was entirely FPV (IIUC, the detective is only seen on one occasion when he passes a mirror).
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-03, 19:55   Link #759
Seitsuki
Onee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpepitone View Post
SaraFilipa: Lady in the Lake ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039545/ ) was entirely FPV (IIUC, the detective is only seen on one occasion when he passes a mirror).
(...) o.o what are you talking about?
btw where im posting from imdb is banned xD
Old 2009-05-04, 02:29   Link #760
meh

Quote:
I'm not sure if Ever 17 was a hit in Japan, but the fact that its the second of four games in a franchise and recently got a PSP port would tend to suggest that it wasn't a flop either.
Well, it's company went bankrupt. And its two main series were Memories Off and the Infinity Series. The Memories Off series have continued since the company's demise. So I doubt the Infinity games(which are pretty similar to each other in nature) were THAT popular.

Quote:
It can ONLY work in FPP, so it not a question "would it work" - it HAS to work that way. How good it would turned out later however is an another matter.

It is the closest thing that comes to mind. They are similar, but Ever17 movie would require a completely new approach.
And you dont really have to say anything, we already know that Ever17's story is hard to adopt. Being skeptic is easy but it doesnt help, so instead try to exercise that brain muscle of yours and come up with better ideas.
Truthfully, I can come up with the most brilliant concept to animate Ever 17 and it won't matter. Since I don't actually have the capability of influencing anyone who makes these decisions.

I was just point out a possible reason as to why there are no anime/manga/OVAs. Because it seems very logical that the trick used in the game doesn't work well through other mediums.

Tags
visual novel