AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-09-27, 00:55   Link #3721
Kealym

Just a quick note, but the gun we see is a sawed off rifle usually called a Mare's Leg.

I'm not a gun expert, but I can say that it's definitely not a shotgun, and you certainly can use it with one hand (you can google image it and see it's actually much smaller than you're probably assuming). It's almost certainly more practical, though, to use both hands like the other adults do. Kyrie using only one hand is probably one part "rule of cool", one part "showing how familiar she is with using guns".

Also, really the only things we know about what really happened is that the island blew up, Eva had made her way to Kuwadorian (with Kinzo's ring), and the rest of the family/servants were almost certainly caught up in the blast. Anything else is just speculation based around those few things.
Old 2013-09-27, 05:25   Link #3722
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kealym View Post
Also, really the only things we know about what really happened is that the island blew up, Eva had made her way to Kuwadorian (with Kinzo's ring), and the rest of the family/servants were almost certainly caught up in the blast. Anything else is just speculation based around those few things.
Yes that much is true... for the state of things until EP7 that is.
Old 2013-09-27, 06:11   Link #3723
Dr. Casey

I've been reading through the Umineko series for the first time this year, and I think I'm about halfway (?) through episode six; the 'trials' have just begun, with George confronting Evatrice. I'm super excited about reading Requiem of the Golden Witch, namely because I'm looking forward to the 1944 flashback with a much younger Kinzo. He's a fascinating character, though I hope that episode 7 helps to illustrate why he has such an incredible reputation and legacy behind his name. I don't necessarily mean his great achievments like reviving the Ushiromiya family (which is just exposition anyway), but his sense of style and charisma, like how Beatrice says in episode 5 that Kinzo would have done the "jump through the window" scene with more flair. Since Kinzo's dead before the games begin and doesn't do much in most of the stories besides give angry rants, it feels as though we're told about what an amazing guy Kinzo is/was, but we're not shown it very often. Not that Kinzo doesn't have some nice moments, but pretty much everyone does in Umineko so he doesn't stand out all that much there. So yeah, very interesting character, but I hope episode 7 illustrates more clearly just why his kids won't put anything past him.
Old 2013-09-27, 17:16   Link #3724
jjblue1

Quote:
Just a quick note, but the gun we see is a sawed off rifle usually called a Mare's Leg.

I'm not a gun expert, but I can say that it's definitely not a shotgun, and you certainly can use it with one hand (you can google image it and see it's actually much smaller than you're probably assuming). It's almost certainly more practical, though, to use both hands like the other adults do. Kyrie using only one hand is probably one part "rule of cool", one part "showing how familiar she is with using guns".
The manga provides an explanation about how those guns work for everyone who couldn't find it in the net or from other sources and it's said you can use it with just one hand. You can actually use two, one on each hand, and you would have no problems reloading them... though it's said you'll need technique and muscles to do it.
Old 2013-09-29, 00:15   Link #3725
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
The Mare's Leg is actually the nickname of Steve McQueen's Winchester 1892 in Wanted: Dead Or Alive, not really a generic nickname. It's a sawed-off lever-action rifle like the rifles in Umineko, but they're not the same. The models in Umineko are explicitly identified as Winchester 1894s. The Mare's Leg 1892 held 6 rounds of .44-40 Winchester, but the 1894s are chambered for 5 rounds of .45 Colt (sometimes called "Long Colt," and not the same thing as .45 ACP that is more familiar nowadays). .45 Colt is a larger round but is actually less powerful than .44-40 Winchester. Suffice it to say Steve McQueen would win a shootout with anyone on the island if only for the extra bullet, and Rudolf doesn't remember his westerns quite as clear as he thought he did.

Sawing the barrel down makes it possible to fire the rifle one-handed, so that's actually entirely accurate. The TIP also mentions that the gun can be reloaded one-handed, which is also true; it requires a bit of torque of the wrist, but you can reload a lever-action Winchester rifle by twirling it from the lever. If you aren't a western fan you might have seen Arnold Schwarzenegger twirl-cocking a Model 1887 shotgun in Terminator 2: Judgment Day. This will actually work the action if you do it properly, won't interfere with your ability to fire, and looks cool to boot. Rudolf doing that (I think it was him) is entirely possible for someone to do and actually the least fantastical part of that scene.

Although it's worth noting that sawing down a rifle will make it hilariously inaccurate at normal rifle ranges. At the ranges you'd shoot in Umineko, however, it should be fairly accurate. It does have some kick, but nothing unusual for a moderate-caliber rifle. Also fun: Nobody in America makes Winchester 1892/1894/1895 replicas anymore, but a company in Japan does.

I joked about this in Redaction, so I had to research all of this.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Old 2013-10-07, 11:35   Link #3726
Funyarinpa

Wow, thanks for clearing this up guys. It always seemed kinda weird to me how Kyrie was the only one using the guns one-handed, so I'm glad there's actually an explanation for it and not just "rule of cool".

I still haven't started reading ep 8 out of a few different reasons.

One would be that I'm still thinking about what was said in ep 7. That was a huge infodump for slowpokes like me, and while I had the gist of "magic" figured out, having the identity of the magical beings confirmed is awesome since a lot of those previous scenes with Virgillia and company make a lot more sense now.
That being said, there are too many things that don't make sense to me yet.
The most obvious is naturally Battler appearance as the trigger for the Rokkenjima mass murders. What's so special about that year?
Another mystery would be the format of Umineko itself. So I get that each "gameboard" is a fragment, a different "world" or reality. How come that (Meta-)Battler and (Meta-)Beatrice are on a higher plane than those gameboards, how did they ascend from normal humans to "something bigger"? And why are they "fighting" in the metaworld anyway? If Battler remembers his sin there as he did at the end of ep 6 (?), what use is it for all the Yasus in the other worlds? Like... wouldn't it make more sense if board-yasu made board-battler remember it?
...I hope you get what I'm trying to say, it's kinda hard to express.

Another noteworthy reason would be that Bern claimed in red that there will be no happy end, and that would suck.
I mean... actually, it already "ended" badly with Battler being too late, but I wanted at least SOME closure after that weird-ass move from Bern at the end of ep 7s teaparties.
Now of course "there will be no happy end" could have a lot of different meanings. A "happy end" for Bern would probably be everyone being trapped in some batshit crazy fragment where she can play with them as she pleases.
They also didn't clarify whose end is not going to be happy if I recall correctly, so it could be no happy end for someone who already suffered one, or another person like Gohda.
Do the reds only count for the gameboard? If not, it could also mean "no happy end" for some random person somwhere on this planet... but I dunno, the story was sad enough as it is in my opinion. :|
Old 2013-10-10, 19:13   Link #3727
jjblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funyarinpa View Post
Wow, thanks for clearing this up guys. It always seemed kinda weird to me how Kyrie was the only one using the guns one-handed, so I'm glad there's actually an explanation for it and not just "rule of cool".

I still haven't started reading ep 8 out of a few different reasons.

One would be that I'm still thinking about what was said in ep 7. That was a huge infodump for slowpokes like me, and while I had the gist of "magic" figured out, having the identity of the magical beings confirmed is awesome since a lot of those previous scenes with Virgillia and company make a lot more sense now.
That being said, there are too many things that don't make sense to me yet.
The most obvious is naturally Battler appearance as the trigger for the Rokkenjima mass murders. What's so special about that year?
Another mystery would be the format of Umineko itself. So I get that each "gameboard" is a fragment, a different "world" or reality. How come that (Meta-)Battler and (Meta-)Beatrice are on a higher plane than those gameboards, how did they ascend from normal humans to "something bigger"? And why are they "fighting" in the metaworld anyway? If Battler remembers his sin there as he did at the end of ep 6 (?), what use is it for all the Yasus in the other worlds? Like... wouldn't it make more sense if board-yasu made board-battler remember it?
...I hope you get what I'm trying to say, it's kinda hard to express.
Remember Ep 6, when Ange read... well, Ep 6? And sometimes she slipped into meta? Basically each game is a tale and Meta Battler and Meta Beato represent author and reader only Battler isn't just a reader like Ange is, he's also trying to solve the book before it has ended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funyarinpa View Post
Another noteworthy reason would be that Bern claimed in red that there will be no happy end, and that would suck.
I mean... actually, it already "ended" badly with Battler being too late, but I wanted at least SOME closure after that weird-ass move from Bern at the end of ep 7s teaparties.
Now of course "there will be no happy end" could have a lot of different meanings. A "happy end" for Bern would probably be everyone being trapped in some batshit crazy fragment where she can play with them as she pleases.
They also didn't clarify whose end is not going to be happy if I recall correctly, so it could be no happy end for someone who already suffered one, or another person like Gohda.
Do the reds only count for the gameboard? If not, it could also mean "no happy end" for some random person somwhere on this planet... but I dunno, the story was sad enough as it is in my opinion. :|
There can be red that counts only on a gameboard, red that counts on all the gameboards and red that counts also in the real world.

As for there's can't be a happy ending, technically the definition of a 'happy ending' is subjective but in a way it's pretty close to the subjective idea of the readers if they identified themself with Ange and her expectations for the gameboard in fact, as Lambda said in Ep 4, the Ushiromiya won't go back home in 1986. They're dead in the real world so even if a game were to explore an universe in which they survived... well it would just be a fantasy like Lion's world, which doesn't exist in Ange's world (better known as Rokkenjima Prime).

Of course a reader's idea of happy ending can be also to accept something different from "...and everyone returned home" so they can find Umineko as having a happy ending regardless of this.
Closed Thread