AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2004-07-22, 09:33   Link #41
Kizo

Send a message via MSN to Kizo
Question Anime Top-list (Jap)?

Hi.
Is there anywhere you can view the current top-list over most popular animes in Japan. A site in English that is. For example a top 20 or something like that.
If not, can someone please tell me which animes are the most popular?
Kizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-22, 09:42   Link #42
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizo
Hi.
Is there anywhere you can view the current top-list over most popular animes in Japan. A site in English that is. For example a top 20 or something like that.
If not, can someone please tell me which animes are the most popular?
this question has come up several times, just do a search in the general anime forum, or search kj1980's posts, I'm sure you'll find it in there.

Here, I was even friendly enough to do the search for you. This posts deals with the exact same question.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=11958
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 21:06   Link #43
kuru

The list as available today:

1 - Detective Conan
2 - Atashinchi
3 - Sazae-san
4 - Doraemon
5 - Inuyasha
6 - Agatha Christie's Detectives Poirot and Marple
7 - Naruto
8 - One Piece
9 - Crayon Shin-chan
10 - Prince of Tennis
kuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 23:33   Link #44
SlugZilla
woofles

Wow I didn't know Atashinchi was that popular.
I saw it in Japan the previous summer. I thought it was very cute and I did like it alot though.
SlugZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-24, 00:54   Link #45
Pepperidge
Dissatisfied Canadian

Send a message via AIM to Pepperidge Send a message via MSN to Pepperidge
Whoo! Go Shin-ichi! Err, Kudo, that is.

I'm going to assume that the reason FMA isn't making the top ten lists is because it's more popular with teens than with family audiences. But then again, I would've also thought the same thing about Naruto.

Just out of curiosity: did Gundam SEED make any of these top ten lists back when it was airing?
Pepperidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-24, 01:26   Link #46
method

I doubt it. Seed averaged around 6% during its run. Maybe the next to last episode cracked the top 10.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 02:54   Link #47
Pepperidge
Dissatisfied Canadian

Send a message via AIM to Pepperidge Send a message via MSN to Pepperidge
So, what were the ratings for last week?
Pepperidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-13, 15:08   Link #48
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I'm reviving this thread to post a link to a translation of the most recent Japanese TV viewer ratings. The main commercial ratings sites, Video Research and Oricon, just cover the top ten, which are almost all prime-time kids' shows. There is another site that appears to collate info about shows lower in the ratings list, probably from postings on 2channel and elsewhere by people who work for companies that have paid Video Research for the full list.

Here is the list.

The highest late-night ratings are for NANA (early late-night, 11:55) and Nodame Cantabile (which has, however, fallen from its initial dizzying heights), and Death Note. Next are Corda D'Oro, History's Greatest Disciple Kenichi, and Getsumen To Heiki Miina. The thing that strikes me most is the popularity of shows aimed primarily at females: NANA, Nodame, and Corda D'Oro.

Next come Code Geass and Ghost Hunt, Hidamari, Manabi Straight, and Busou Renkin, and there is a low group of Venus vs. Virus, Super Robot Wars, Sumomo mo Momo mo, Master of Epic, Red Garden, Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge, and Tokimeki Memorial. Some shows are not included in the list.

The thing that strikes me most among shows in prime time is the dismal performance of the very good show Negima!?, which is clearly being broadcast at the wrong time: 5:30 Wednesday evenings, rather than late at night.

Oricon also has a weekly DVD sales ranking.

I've now made a more detailed blog post on this topic.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-03-13 at 20:21.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-13, 22:30   Link #49
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Just last night I was looking to find a thread about this subject. It's as if you read my mind, Kaoru Chujo! Thanks.

I was curious about the ratings performance of shows targeted at older audiences, particularly Bartender, Saiunkoku Monogatari, and Hataraki Man. I tried correlating the list of shows at Mahou with the Geocities page you cite, but I can't seem to find these shows in the list. Since I can't read Japanese I pushed the Geocities page through Google's translator, figuring that even a poor translation of a title (e.g, "Grapple beauty God military affairs dragon REBIRTH") might be enough to identify it. Even with the translations I couldn't find any figures for these shows. Since your posting suggests the selection of programs in this list depends on the willingness of people inside the industry to share the figures, I'm guessing no one has leaked the ratings for these shows.

I thought the absence of data was probably an indicator of low ratings, but in another thread, Siegel Clyne posted an average of about 4% for Hataraki Man, which is apparently quite high for a show in this time period. However when I looked in the translated version of the relevant Geocities page, I couldn't find anything for Hataraki Man.

Having read this thread on the economics of the anime industry recently, I am wondering how shows like Bartender will continue to be made. I don't really see the typical ancillary market in figurines, etc., supporting a show like this, and the DVDs have yet to be released. I thought perhaps the ratings would give an indication about the potential for shows like Bartender, but I can't seem to find the data. Any clues?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-14, 00:47   Link #50
DanielSong39

Somewhat shocked that Suzumiya Haruhi and Kanon 2006 doesn't appear anywhere on the list. From visiting forums and anime blogs, you'd get the impression that Suzumiya is the best anime of all time, and KyoAni is the best studio of all time. But it does not show up in the numbers.

I haven't seen most of the shows in the top ten, but I did check out Doraemon - a true classic. Doraemon himself is a terrific character that deserves his status as an international icon.
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-14, 01:30   Link #51
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
Somewhat shocked that Suzumiya Haruhi and Kanon 2006 doesn't appear anywhere on the list. From visiting forums and anime blogs, you'd get the impression that Suzumiya is the best anime of all time, and KyoAni is the best studio of all time. But it does not show up in the numbers.

I haven't seen most of the shows in the top ten, but I did check out Doraemon - a true classic. Doraemon himself is a terrific character that deserves his status as an international icon.
Yeah...fanboyism of epic porpotions does that. Likewise, from visiting forums and anime blogs,Gundam SEED Destiny is the worst anime of all time and Sunrise makes nothing but anime-train-wrecks, but look at it's DVD sales? Even the Special Editions that's nothing more than a glorified recap is selling more than Haruhi.

Really, Haruhi is indeed popular within anime circles, but it's a popularity that hasn't really extended out of the box. Let's not forget that Haruhi is not a prime-time slotted anime. It's not going to beat the likes of Doraemon, Sazae-san or Detective Conan in terms of ratings, not in a million years, unless Haruhi suddenly became the greatest thing in the Japanimation ever since Tezuka and Miyazaki, combined.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-14, 01:48   Link #52
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei
Just last night I was looking to find a thread about this subject. It's as if you read my mind, Kaoru Chujo! Thanks.

I was curious about the ratings performance of shows targeted at older audiences, particularly Bartender, Saiunkoku Monogatari, and Hataraki Man. I tried correlating the list of shows at Mahou with the Geocities page you cite, but I can't seem to find these shows in the list. Since I can't read Japanese I pushed the Geocities page through Google's translator, figuring that even a poor translation of a title (e.g, "Grapple beauty God military affairs dragon REBIRTH") might be enough to identify it. Even with the translations I couldn't find any figures for these shows. Since your posting suggests the selection of programs in this list depends on the willingness of people inside the industry to share the figures, I'm guessing no one has leaked the ratings for these shows.

I thought the absence of data was probably an indicator of low ratings, but in another thread, Siegel Clyne posted an average of about 4% for Hataraki Man, which is apparently quite high for a show in this time period. However when I looked in the translated version of the relevant Geocities page, I couldn't find anything for Hataraki Man.

Having read this thread on the economics of the anime industry recently, I am wondering how shows like Bartender will continue to be made. I don't really see the typical ancillary market in figurines, etc., supporting a show like this, and the DVDs have yet to be released. I thought perhaps the ratings would give an indication about the potential for shows like Bartender, but I can't seem to find the data. Any clues?

It is on the Geocities site. http://www.geocities.jp/animesityouritu/2006b.html

24:45 CX 働きマン

3.1 (Hataraki Man News)
4.6 / 3.4 / 3.9 / 3.3 / 3.1 / 4.7 / 4.0 / 4.2 / 5.1 / 3.7 / 4.1
(Average: 4.01 <-I got this from somewhere else)

And Bartender is there too.

26:25 CX バーテンダー

2.2 / 2.3 / 1.1 / 2.2 / 1.7 / 1.5 / 2.5 / 1.2 / 1.5 / 2.1 / 3.4

A lot of shows are there, you're jsut not looking properly... I think they don't have data for sattelite, cable and premium subscription sort of stations. As well as obscure UHF stations.

A pity they don't have ratings for WOWOW, I'd be interested in how absymal Kemonozume's ratings would've been
Old 2007-03-14, 02:08   Link #53
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

@DanielSong: My list was ratings for current shows. Since Suzumiya Haruhi was on a year ago, it doesn't appear. I checked the list for the first half of last year, however, and there were no stats for SHnY. I notice that there are no stats for the current KyoAni show, Kanon, either. I don't know what their viewership ratings would be, but they make their money from sales of DVDs, CDs, books,figures, etc., I imagine. Just for the record, I'm one of those who thinks SHnY is a masterpiece and Kanon is excellent, but it's reasonable to disagree.

@Seiji Sensei: wao beat me to it, but here's what I had drafted anyway: Hataraki Man is in the list for last fall. It had an excellent average viewership of 4.0, and got to 5.1 for episode 9. Bartender averaged out at 1.1, but got to 3.4 for its last episode. These are very promising numbers. I didn't take to Bartender, myself, but I thought Hataraki Man's success could make it the harbinger of some great shows to come.

@wao: thanks for explaining why there's no SHnY or Kanon, since they are broadcast on satellite channels. As I read Video Research's explanation of this point, it says that they only register satellite channels as "other," and don't have specific program info for them. As kj1980 explained elsewhere, since satellite channel penetration is comparatively low, the actual viewership numbers for satellite-broadcast programs would probably be quite low.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-03-14 at 02:54.
Old 2007-03-14, 12:56   Link #54
solomon

I heard via Japanese Wiki, that on what non UHF stations Haruhi aired on, ratings were fairly good.

After looking at video research and actual viewer ratings for the first time, i was surprised (initally) by the gap between whats popular in the mainstream and popular with hardcore fans (ie people who watch things other then Notamina past 1130 at night)

Also, any native japanese think that there are less and less prime time shows anymore?
I read this in a newspaper article once. Plus ratings don't seem as high as they used to be (look at Conan now compared with just 5 years ago). Not to mention the HUGE upswing of latenight shows, it seems like aniime is even more niche then it ever was.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-14, 13:15   Link #55
wao
OK.

That reminds me, I've always been wondering - this might sound like a stupid question, but do the ratings count people who've left their recorders on for the show in question? I imagine a lot of people actually watch the latenight shows by recording them. (This is just my guess) If those aren't counted then perhaps the latenight shows are more popular than they may seem.

Of course more casual watchers are less likely to record so that might explain why Noitanima, which I think has more causal watchers than otaku, would have higher ratings.
Old 2007-03-14, 13:42   Link #56
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
That reminds me, I've always been wondering - this might sound like a stupid question, but do the ratings count people who've left their recorders on for the show in question? I imagine a lot of people actually watch the latenight shows by recording them. (This is just my guess) If those aren't counted then perhaps the latenight shows are more popular than they may seem.

Of course more casual watchers are less likely to record so that might explain why Noitanima, which I think has more causal watchers than otaku, would have higher ratings.
It depends on the ratings compiled. I'm 99% sure these ratings do not figure in DVR figures - not for any sneaky reason, but usually when ratings are reported, the easiest figure to use is the plain ratings (which are all live). They have a different metric (though the name of it escapes me) that figures in DVR watchings (that number is aged). For example there's the live numbers (which are the ones usually reported on), the live and same day numbers, the live and next day numbers and the seven day numbers. Since ratings exist only as a tool to sell advertising time, categorizing the numbers this way makes sense. Advertisors care when you watched a show. For example, 300 ads will start to disappear from US television over the next couple of weeks as other movies come on. If I record something today and watch it in a month, there's no way that a 300 movie ad is going to have served it's purpose. The purpose of the rating is to find out how many televisions are on at that time interval (in the US I believe it's five minute intervals, but I have no idea what it would be in Japan). They're not intended as a measure of popularity (and they are not a very good indicator of popularity unless you're comparing shows on the same day and time slot).

Also, the lack of cable ratings is sort of irrelevant. Most cable companies (and most non-primetime material, as well) don't really care about their overall rating, the more important indicator is the demographic ratings.
Old 2007-03-14, 14:02   Link #57
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
...do the ratings count people who've left their recorders on for the show in question? I imagine a lot of people actually watch the latenight shows by recording them. (This is just my guess) If those aren't counted then perhaps the latenight shows are more popular than they may seem....
I'm not familiar enough with the technology to be sure from what I have read in Video Research's FAQ. It refers to "terebi" as what the "people meters" in the sample homes track: whether they're on and what channel they're tuned to. If the PVR always works through a TV, then I guess it's counted. But if the signal goes directly to the recorder, then maybe it isn't. I kind of think it would be counted, but I'm not sure. Maybe someone else who understands the technology and reads Japanese more easily can check the FAQ. I myself don't see any direct reference to how recorders are counted, although everything else is covered in great detail.

From what I can gather, I think you're right that a large proportion of the people who "watch" late-night shows do it by recording them. That helps explain the obsessive attempts at accuracy on Shoboi Calendar.

Many anime are so much more entertaining and interesting than most other TV that you do wonder how people can prefer the other stuff. Does this mean anime-watchers are the weird ones, or just that we have better taste? lol. I do think that the association anime=kid stuff is so strong that people just click past anime without really checking it out. Of course, sensible people are asleep when most of the good shows are on, so they never know what they're missing.

EDIT: rooboy makes some good points. The whole purpose of the exercise is to tell broadcasters and advertisers what people are watching. VR makes a point of metering viewership of commercials as well as of shows. But it still comes down to exactly how the people meters work. Video Research samples 66,000 households around Japan, using directly connected people meters and meters that work through computers (from the TV), as well as hand-recorded diaries. I'm not sure if metered people also fill out diaries.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-03-14 at 14:14.
Old 2007-03-14, 15:17   Link #58
Destinyblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Many anime are so much more entertaining and interesting than most other TV that you do wonder how people can prefer the other stuff. Does this mean anime-watchers are the weird ones, or just that we have better taste? lol. I do think that the association anime=kid stuff is so strong that people just click past anime without really checking it out.
I believe that that's precisely the reason why people prefer live action over animation. A lot of people have the wrong idea that anything animated = for kids, which makes you wonder why people think that when there are shows like Futurama and The Simpsons out there.

Then again, people seem to believe in a lot of stuff that's obviously not true. Anime, in itself, is a good example. Some people are anti-anime because they believe anime = hentai/porn, which is obviously not true either.

There are probably other reasons that contribute to it too, though. For example, when it comes to horror, I usually find live action movies to be very scary. On the other hand, animated horror almost never scares me. I watched Blood+ (not really a horror show, but it did have some horror-ish and surprising scenes in it) and I never found it scary at all. Can't really explain it, but for some reason, that's the case.

I also suspect that people also want realism in the shows they watch. Anime does not have that. Most anime seem to be fantasy type shows for the most part, while shows that air in primetime on our broadcast stations in the U.S. are mostly shows that could actually happen in real life. Also, most live action shows are usually the 'slice of life' type shows, whereas most anime are not like that.

I know I used the U.S. for my argument here, but I bet this applies to Japan as well. I could be wrong, though. Anyways, those are my thoughts in regards to ratings and live action vs. animation in general.
Destinyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-14, 15:39   Link #59
solomon

"Many anime are so much more entertaining and interesting than most other TV that you do wonder how people can prefer the other stuff. Does this mean anime-watchers are the weird ones, or just that we have better taste? lol. I do think that the association anime=kid stuff is so strong that people just click past anime without really checking it out. Of course, sensible people are asleep when most of the good shows are on, so they never know what they're missing."

Depends really. I can't talk about the state of Japanese tv, and it's not like american tv has NO good programs (although we do have a LOT of embarrasing stuff that makes it on the air these days).I think that it's more about preference. I like serial storytellng, of finite concepts and I like animation. In america we don't get a lot of finite shows or mature animation. Anime manages to fufill those two requirements.

I think some shows do deserve to be seen by a wider audience, some Wowow shows like Ergo Proxy and Le Chevelier De Eon spring to mind. Welcome to the NHK is a show i think a lot of people could enjoy for the overall themes of the story. If networks would let them, some late night NTV stuff, not to mention the noitamina block seem like they could appeal across a wide variety of people (ok maybe just 18-39 year old but thats still good).

On the other hand, some stuff just cant seem to break out of the otaku mold....stuff like Marohomatic, Meine Liebe, Aquarion and the Mai-franchise are really for people with VERY specific tastes, to say the least. I won't fault anyone for watching these shows, but sometimes anime can play WAYYYYY too much to inward looking fandom (much like american comic books do) and while it doesn't ALWAYS hurt creative integrety of a show, some shows just have things that alienate non-fans or they just can't take some shows seriously.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-14, 16:05   Link #60
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
But it still comes down to exactly how the people meters work. Video Research samples 66,000 households around Japan, using directly connected people meters and meters that work through computers (from the TV), as well as hand-recorded diaries. I'm not sure if metered people also fill out diaries.
Generally metered people do not fill out diaries - the diaries are for supplemental information (in the US, they're generally only used in sweeps week).
The "people meter" is a device that was introduced by Nielsen which basically allows you to mark that you are "watching" a show - so rather than just knowing the household, they also know which people in the household are watching. Generally speaking I cannot imagine the meters Video Research uses are significantly different than other meters. If so, Nielsen meters check three things.
1) The state of the TV (off, on, time, etc)
2) what channel is currently tuned in
3) who is watching it (who is logged into the meter at that time)
All of this can be found at the Nielsen site (the Video Research site seems sort of secretive about the meters - at least the English site is, but I doubt it is significantly different).

Again though, any rating company will tell you (Nielsen says it right on the "Inside the ratings" link) they're not rating popularity. There is no way to use ratings to cover that. All it can show you is who's watching. I watch five to seven television shows each week (well, if I get to count the [adult swim] airing of Bleach ) - each show counts equally in the ratings; however, some of those shows I only watch so I have something to talk about at work, or because my wife watches it, or because of other reasons. If you asked me, I could tell you which shows I liked better - but there is no way for the meter to tell that.

The best way to find out if something is popular is to take a poll. Yes, polls have problems, but ratings do not show popularity any better. In a lot of ways DVD sales are the better indicator of popularity. DVDs are in "competition" with all other DVDs, but broadcast television shows are only in "competition" with other shows that are broadcast at the same time.

I'm not trying to minimize Kaoru's point. It's very impressive that Nana has a high rating late at night, and looking at ratings is always interesting, but there is very much an apples and oranges effect that goes on when this kind of discussion happens. Including DVR numbers one way or the other, does not significantly fix the underlying problem of assuming ratings = popularity.